Explore GameReplays...

Supreme Commander 2

Wondering whether to buy this game..

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1Snakeb1te Jun 22 2011, 03:33 AM
Hi I was wondering about whether to buy this game. Here's the things I know already:

1. I've played Supcom 1 if that's any help, and I love that game. I've heard this version is a "dumbed down" version but then thats what they said about DoW1 ---> DoW2, and yet I still enjoy the latter.

2. Teching is no longer done through individual buildings but through a larger tech tree liek Battle for Middle-Earth.

3. The maps look sweet! biggrin.gif

Now my questions:

A. Does it still lag horrendously like in Supcom 1?

B. Does it have that memory leak like in Supcom 1, where you would start the game at normal speed, and then about 30 mins into the game would slow down to an utter crawl, like every game second was the same to 5-6 real life seconds?

C. How's the online game finding? I don't have any friends who wish to join me in buying this game sad.gif

D. How balanced is this game? I need the most objective view possible, or if you consider yourself extremely well informed, your own personal opinion.

E. Supcom2 is being sold on Steam for 20 I think, but do I also have to buy the "Infinite War" expansion pack to be able to play the majority of online? Or is it an extra? I.e. I can still play people with the expansion even though I don't have it.

F. Is there still a community for this? I know a lot games die down in popularity after the first few months...

G. Is the game speed set to normal or fast?

Z. Anything else to tell me that's interesting about this game? biggrin.gif

Thanks

This post has been edited by Snakeb1te: Jun 22 2011, 03:40 AM

Game: Dawn of War 2

+
# 2Mortiferus Rosa Jun 22 2011, 14:15 PM
QUOTE(Snakeb1te @ Jun 21 2011, 22:33 PM) *

Hi I was wondering about whether to buy this game. Here's the things I know already:

1. I've played Supcom 1 if that's any help, and I love that game. I've heard this version is a "dumbed down" version but then thats what they said about DoW1 ---> DoW2, and yet I still enjoy the latter.

I wouldnt call it dumbed down (although alot of FA fans will say so). For example, I play both games and although I love the Flow Rate Eco, the current economy model is an excellent compromise between the old and the new.

2. Teching is no longer done through individual buildings but through a larger tech tree liek Battle for Middle-Earth.

3. The maps look sweet! biggrin.gif

Now my questions:

A. Does it still lag horrendously like in Supcom 1?

I never had a lag problem in Supcom 1 unless one of the players was using something archaic like dial-up.

B. Does it have that memory leak like in Supcom 1, where you would start the game at normal speed, and then about 30 mins into the game would slow down to an utter crawl, like every game second was the same to 5-6 real life seconds?

No, the game is much tighter and you will only experience a slowdown when playing with people who use ancient computers, playing with multiple AI on a huge map with lots of units, or both.

C. How's the online game finding? I don't have any friends who wish to join me in buying this game sad.gif

It is not instant. The online ranked match maker is dead and you will not find a worthwhile game. However, if you host your own game, it will usually fill up within 10 minutes (give or take).

D. How balanced is this game? I need the most objective view possible, or if you consider yourself extremely well informed, your own personal opinion.

For 1v1... not very. Better than when the game launched, but still in need of work. When playing a 4v4 or something like that it isnt as noticeable. Regardless, there is a Community Balance Patch Mod by Nephylim that does an excellent job of remedying that fact.

E. Supcom2 is being sold on Steam for 20 I think, but do I also have to buy the "Infinite War" expansion pack to be able to play the majority of online? Or is it an extra? I.e. I can still play people with the expansion even though I don't have it.

You can play with people with the expansion pack, but the pack is worth it for the maps and units. Most people play with it anyways.

F. Is there still a community for this? I know a lot games die down in popularity after the first few months...

It is there, small, but there.

G. Is the game speed set to normal or fast?

Your choice

Z. Anything else to tell me that's interesting about this game? biggrin.gif

Yes... do I want to.... no happy.gif

Thanks

Your Welcome

This post has been edited by The-Baron: Jun 22 2011, 14:19 PM

Game: Supreme Commander 2

+
# 3Snakeb1te Jun 22 2011, 18:02 PM
Mm =/ not very convincing. 10 minutes seems very long, has this community really died down that much?

Game: Dawn of War 2

+
# 4Mortiferus Rosa Jun 23 2011, 12:54 PM
QUOTE(Snakeb1te @ Jun 22 2011, 13:02 PM) *

Mm =/ not very convincing. 10 minutes seems very long, has this community really died down that much?

In order to get a good game fast, you need steam friends who play. You can try to find some on this forum cuz there are still plenty left looking for players.

And the actual time depends on when you are looking for a game. If you are from Australia or that part of the world, you will be hard pressed to find a game quickly due to the fact that the Europeans and Americans are all sleeping. If you are playing between 1800-2300 UTC then you can find a game rather readily.

Game: Supreme Commander 2

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)