Explore GameReplays...

CNC Zero Hour

Funnessness

Closed Topic Start new topic
# 81-Wraith^ Feb 5 2008, 13:30 PM
Well in your mind of thinking ST you say that Dance is all the same too since it all has bass drums in it (in 99% of all those songs at least) yet there are over 100 sub categories of dance music.

This post has been edited by StefanDeath: Feb 5 2008, 17:38 PM

Clan: Death and Destiny

Game: CNC Zero Hour

+
# 82I AM SUPER COOL LOL Feb 5 2008, 15:29 PM
Chris btw, Melchanoly is about Jesus.

Stefandeath summed it up well. If you're going to unblur the lines between different genres of metal, why not just merge metal into rock, since they all use the same instruments! And since Blues use the same instruments, why not merge that in as well?

Metal is all mindless screaming? I implore you, listen to the song "Afraid to Shoot Strangers" by Iron Maiden, or AEnima by Tool. Also, Shock lyrics? Since when the fuck was a social commentary "shock lyrics"?

+
# 83Flamzypants Feb 5 2008, 17:56 PM
DIE DIE DIE!!

tongue.gif

Clan: [BORG]

+
# 84-Wraith^ Feb 5 2008, 19:50 PM
Go die in a fire fagzy sleep.gif

+
# 85ChrisLeBlanc Feb 5 2008, 21:06 PM
QUOTE(I AM SUPER COOL LOL @ Feb 5 2008, 10:29 AM) *

I thought it was just about Holy Martyrs, not specifically Jesus. Clearly isn't exactly critical of him, though.

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 86StarTrekker Feb 6 2008, 04:01 AM
wacko.gif frusty.gif Since when did I say anything about them being the same?? I've been talking only about variety in your music, not that abcde and f flavours of metal or dance (or any other damn thing) are the same. Clearly there are subcategories in most genres. That means they are not the same but they ARE similar... otherwise they would be a whole new genre.

I hear these songs you post up and I hear the same thing - drums/guitars. NO VARIETY in instuments!!! I am NOT saying they are the same... but they have close similarities.

I wonder why people are refusing to acknowledge the point here... interesting. Somehow there is denial here eyebrow.gif

QUOTE(I AM SUPER COOL LOL @ Feb 6 2008, 01:59 AM) *

1. Melchanoly is horribly misspelled. Melancholy is what I think you mean.
2. Don't bring religion into this.

Stefandeath summed it up well. If you're going to unblur the lines between different genres of metal, why not just merge metal into rock, since they all use the same instruments! And since Blues use the same instruments, why not merge that in as well?

To re-iterate my point, if you did that then Fusion's list would have only one category. That category would be called "Drums/Guitars and multiple instances of shock lyrics" or "crap" for short. tongue.gif

Metal is all mindless screaming? I implore you, listen to the song "Afraid to Shoot Strangers" by Iron Maiden, or AEnima by Tool. Also, Shock lyrics? Since when the fuck was a social commentary "shock lyrics"?

Now WHO said mindless screaming? FFS stop twisting things around.

And NO, I REFUSE to listen to more crap metal music for this topic. It's not needed. If you can't see what I am trying to say then all I can say is that you have a problem in comprehension, or you too, are in denial for some reason.

QUOTE(Flamzypants @ Feb 6 2008, 04:26 AM) *
DIE DIE DIE!!

tongue.gif

Don't provoke them into a flame war! I know they have, so far, completely missed the point, but this is just like throwing peppermint bananas into a cage of apes to make them go apeshit.

laugh.gif

Why am I finding this topic soooo funny?!

Kids and their music happy.gif

QUOTE(StefanDeath @ Feb 6 2008, 06:20 AM) *
Go die in a fire fagzy sleep.gif

Oi. Flamzy was teasing as implied by the smilie. Yours seems serious and you're an SDM so you can't do that. TBH, I'm a little surprised you'd blatantly flame here ohmy.gif

QUOTE(Fusion. @ Feb 6 2008, 07:36 AM) *
I thought it was just about Holy Martyrs, not specifically Jesus. Clearly isn't exactly critical of him, though.

Again, let's not bring religion into this or the topic will have to be locked or offenders banned from this forum.

Game: Red Alert 3

+
# 87ChrisLeBlanc Feb 6 2008, 04:26 AM
Rofl, it's about the SONG. I suppose if you actually listened to it and comprehended the lyrics and not hiding behind OMFG SHOCK LYRICS, you would realize that.

It's not denial. Denial is saying every metal song is about shock lyrics which is clearly false. Calling all metal "crap" just proves that I can't bother to argue with someone that ignorant.

QUOTE(StarTrekker @ Feb 5 2008, 06:46 AM) *

I never said you JUST listen to metal either.

QUOTE(StarTrekker @ Jan 31 2008, 21:43 PM) *

All them are the same thing

lawl. This argument is pointless as you are clearly blind to rock/metal. Saying rock = metal is just plain ignorant.

Elitists who must have every kind of genre that's popular and their music.

QUOTE(StarTrekker @ Feb 5 2008, 23:01 PM) *
you have a problem in comprehension, or you too, are in denial for some reason.

I do believe you are the one lacking comprehension or are in denial for some reason.

+
# 88-Wraith^ Feb 6 2008, 06:38 AM
ST you take things too seriously, I wasn't even near serious. Ask the CL clan members since they are used to that line by now tongue.gif Also I say that a lot online btw so the conclusion is: you miss too much around ZH and GR now sad.gif

Fyi I have never seriously flamed on GR, only on ZH when I hear the magic words "pr0 rules". Even AGM flips out then so... tongue.gif

This post has been edited by StefanDeath: Feb 6 2008, 06:45 AM

+
# 89MadassAlex Feb 6 2008, 13:33 PM
Trekker, let me first say that you display an astounding amount of ignorance towards the genres of rock, metal and punk. The fact that you consider them to have no variety immediately discredits any and all experience you claim to have, to the point where I do not actually believe that you have much experience with the genre(s) at all, or at least have very weak ears.
For the uninitiated (i.e., our oh-so-good-but-ignorant friend Trekker here), these are the key aspects of the three main genres of rock music:

Rock music, or hard rock is characterised by a wide range of vocal styles, although melodic vocals with a slight rasp or snarl are favoured. Riffs tend to be based on the blues as do the solos, and the base and drums follow very simple rhythm patterns, allowing the vocals and guitar do define the song moreso.
Heavy metal has similar roots to rock, but it takes it to further extremes. Vocals are even more melodic and virtuosic, snarls are deeper, riffs are heavier and solos are more technical, fleet-of-finger and varied in scale. Bass and drums play a more interesting roll, especially given the tempo and time signiature changes that are common in metal (and progressive rock, for that matter).
Punk is the most simple of the genres. With vocals that are partially sung, partially shouted, simple rhythm guitar driven by power chords and constant rhythms echoes by the bass and drums, punk is a genre of pure energy and rawness. It's the most stripped-down, and arguably the most effective form of rock.

QUOTE(StarTrekker @ Feb 4 2008, 11:59 AM) *

Dude, I'm 41. I've been in the rock scene. I've done the dance scene, fuck I've heard more music than you would be prepared to admit.

Evidently not true. Your comments alone solidify my stance.

Because you limit yourself to only those bands which have that "rock flavour" of music, you have no variety. IMO.

Also untrue. If you had "been in the rock scene", you would recognise the distinct variations of its subgenres and related styles. You clearly have never delved into progressive rock like Rush or Yes, nor have you explored post-rock like Explosions In The Sky, and I doubt even if you've listened to the great expanse of classic rock, which arguably includes styles as varied as folk rock, through punk, through heavy metal, through progressive rock, through pub rock and beyond.

Others who are wise will understand what I am saying. tongue.gif

Others who are wise aren't as closed-minded as you.

And so will you when you eventually grow up. I mean older. laugh.gif

Plenty of people your age enjoy rock music.

How to write a rock song: Always include the words: death, blood, dying, mutilate, coffin, soul, genocide, ... and throw in some lyrics that talk about youngsters dying. Thanks again for proving my point on that.

You cannot be serious. Songs like Infinite Dreams by Iron Maiden, I'm A Rocker by Judas Priest, Memories by Velvet Revolver and many more. Rock is about much more than violence, and when violence is concerned it's usually about the effects of violence or the circumstances of it.

I particularly like this bit:

Black blood dripping from platinum fangs
Rich blood flees while
Our poverty hangs

Oooooh... blood, fangs... oooohh! Gore!!

Your superior intellect seems to have missed the political allusion there. Its a metaphor mixed with the literal term of "poverty" to express the death of freedom.

Listen to anything you like. Just try to have at least SOME variety. There are lots of types of music around.

Rock (duh rolleyes.gif)
Classical
R&B
Techno
Hip Hop
Rap
Dance

and the list goes on...

I personally dislike all of those except for classical and rock. You've chosen a poor set of musical genres because all but two are based almost entirely on rhythm. If your expansive knowledge of music was as expansive as you said, you might have made allusions to jazz, neo-classical, progressive, free music and types of music that, generally, aren't supported almost entirely by MTV.

My point is that variety is a good thing... even in music.
Personally, I think, like Sparky said, lyrics is a very minor part of music. If it was so important, reading poetry would be more popular. When I want to listen to music, I want to hear a variety of instruments, played well and I want to be able to hear each with good clarity. When I listen to rock, I don't hear that at all, I hear drums, screaming and electronic guitars. Where is the glockenspiel!! happy.gif

Then you're hearing wrong, because when I hear rock music, I'm listening to melodies, rhythms, vocals and harmonies. There's clear verse sections, chorus sections and often a solo. I think the major issues here are not rock music itself, but rather:

- Your inexperience with music
- Your inability to look beyond the music that is easily accessible

I don't mean to insult you, but judging by your argument you seem quite ignorant, not only of rock music, but music as a whole. It's fine to have your opinion, but not when it's generally ill-informed and based entirely on subjectivity when you claim points as fact that are clearly incorrect.

As a sidenote, if you considered lyrics a "minor part" of music, you wouldn't care that rock contains the lyrics you think it does.

Now, let's take a look at basic music theory and see how it and its harmonies apply to rock. Steel yourself, this takes some explaining.

Everything in western music is based off what we consider the "major scale". The major scale in its most simple form can be heard in a lot of children's songs and folk tunes. Mary Had A Little Lamb, for example. Musicians represent the scale (and other scales) as a set of numbers, namely the numbers 1 through 7, where 8 is the beginning of the next set of 1 to 7, where each set is called an "octave".
Take, for example, the C major scale. The notes are C, D, E, F, G, A, B, directly corresponding to the numbers. But if you altered the formula, of 1-7, and made the 7 "flat", you get 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, b7 (b = flat). We call this the "mixolydian" scale, and it's common in blues and rock. In the case of the C major scale, the B becomes B flat, or Bb.
This is very, very convenient for blues players, because the most common kind of chord in blues is the major 7 chord, that is, a major chord that has an added 7th note. The 7th is based off the mixolydian scale, however, and is actually a b7.
The rest of the notes of a major chord are the root (1), the 3rd and 5th. So a Cmaj7 chord is C, E, G Bb. Thus, the chord creates a tonal backbone, often backed by the bass playing major notes (general emphasising the root or 3rd).
Since the chord has the 1, 3, 5 and b7, when you play the mixolydian scale over it, it sounds completely natural since most of the mixolydian notes correspond directly to one of the notes under it. This basic idea is attached to minor chord and scales too, but that explanation is satisfactory, I baleeb.
For the record, the 3rd note defines the scale or chord as major or minor. A natural 3rd is major, a flattened one is minor.

Now, take a band like Iron Maiden. The guitars use a lot of distortion, which means using 7ths in chords is right out of the picture, since, by classical standards, 7ths are considered "dissonant". 3rds are also considered slightly dissonant. Only the root, fourth and fifth are considered "perfect" intervals, and those are the intervals chosen when using a lot of distortion as they'll never sound dissonant together.
Metal, rock and punk bands favour chords called "power chords", which are simply the root note and the 5th played together. Power chords are brilliant, especially for technically proficient bands like Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath, because the lack of a 3rd to establish the tonality of the chord allows soloists and riff-writers a lot of freedom when playing over them. Indeed, it may be one skill to play perfectly over a complex set of chords using equally complex scales, but it's another skill entirely to improvise a solo over a simple set of power chords and make it engaging.

Anyway, the point is that in rock music, the root and the 5th are the most important harmonic notes. The 3rd is also important, but rather than playing that as part of a chord, the 3rd is often played as its own power chord or implied to give the song a certain mood.

So let's cover the other most common scale in rock - the minor pentatonic scale. This is basically taken from blues but phrased in a more driving and focused way. The formula is 1, b3, 4, 5, b7. As the name implies, only 5 notes per an octave, although this gives the scale a distinct, powerful feel. Just about every rock player favours this scale, and thus you can tell an exceptional player when they distinguish themselves while remaining within the perimeter of the pentatonic scale. You may have noticed that

A. I stated that this was originally from blues
B. As is the maj7 chord
C. The major 3rd and minor 3rd clash

How can this be? Simple. The blues is dissonant, and rock, metal and punk have continued this tradition, just with more distortion and rather than driving away listeners this often creates exciting tension and release within music. Jazz players do it a lot, too, except they use notes that clash even more. Crazy things like b5ths with natural 5ths and b2nds (b9ths). The fact is that the wall of fuzz you seem to encounter only in rock is a common technique in most genres that have an emphasis on melody. Even classical does this on occasion, generally when breaking smaller rules (like the rule of consecutive fifths).

After this, we get into the evolution of metal, which is a whole different kettle of fish as it starts to use classical harmony and scales as well as more complex jazz concepts. The harmonic and melodic minor scales come into play, as well as their modes and chords. If you're interested in really proving your open-mindedness to music, then respond when you understand the above and we can start discussing more complex harmonies and their examples.

This post has been edited by MadassAlex: Feb 6 2008, 14:11 PM

+
# 90Flamzypants Feb 6 2008, 14:36 PM
You sir, have too much time on your hands. And tbh, if you don't listen to a particular type of music, your not going to be able to distinguish between sub-genres. Therefore, you just assume they are all the same, and since you categorise them all as 'sucking' then it's not really a misinterpretation of another type of music, it's just that you don't care tongue.gif

+
# 91MadassAlex Feb 7 2008, 05:47 AM
There are very clear differences between rock, metal and punk. In addition, the subgenres also have quite clear distinctions - compare death metal to power metal for instance, or post-rock to progressive rock.

+
# 92StarTrekker Feb 7 2008, 08:58 AM
QUOTE(Fusion. @ Feb 6 2008, 14:56 PM) *
Rofl, it's about the SONG. I suppose if you actually listened to it and comprehended the lyrics and not hiding behind OMFG SHOCK LYRICS, you would realize that.

Here we go again. Why the fuck is it so hard to get? I don't need to listen to yet another song and waste my time interpreting the lyrics AGAIN for this oh-so-basic point that everyone has missed. AGAIN.

It's not denial. Denial is saying every metal song is about shock lyrics which is clearly false. Calling all metal "crap" just proves that I can't bother to argue with someone that ignorant.

Since now all you can do is turn my words around and repeat them back to me, which is the apitome of childish arguments) and the fact that you are now contradicting yourself in the same sentence (stating that you can't be bothered arguing, in the same sentence as continuing arguing), I'd say you're done.

lawl. This argument is pointless as you are clearly blind to rock/metal. Saying rock = metal is just plain ignorant.

Once again, I didn't say any such thing. If you keep the context of what I am saying and not just pull out words that suit your argument ignoring context, you'd find it's about musical instrument variation, but this is obviously beyond your comprehension and that of MadassAlex.

Again, why not just copy what I say and return it to me.

I do believe you are the one lacking comprehension or are in denial for some reason.

Again, why not just copy what I say and return it to me.

Piss weak argument, but I guess you can't do much else when you just can't comprehend the point being made.

wacko.gif frusty.gif

You all keep believing what you want and listening to nobody but your own rhetoric. thum.gif

+
# 93MadassAlex Feb 7 2008, 09:53 AM
How to write a rock song: Always include the words: death, blood, dying, mutilate, coffin, soul, genocide, ... and throw in some lyrics that talk about youngsters dying. Thanks again for proving my point on that.

There's the implication. You're combining the term "rock" with a common heavy metal stereotype, even though the rock stereotype in terms of lyrics is clearly based on relationships, sexuality and drinking/drugs. It's a very old, established tradition, going all the way back to old blues and jazz of the 1800s and previous, where the black population who played said styles of music didn't have as many material concerns - the idea behind the blues is that it was the expression of the immediate desires of the lower, slave-class of America at the time. There were exceptions, but generally the blues was basic on both its instrumentation and lyricism.
There were also violent songs, but they weren't descriptive; instead, they displayed regret at what an individual had done, or were about one's feelings towards another in a negative context. Eventually, white people caught on and began to ban such lyrics, so innuendo was put into use, which probably explains entirely "Lemon Song", appropriated by Led Zeppelin and lyrics like "If you squeeze my lizard" from NWOBHM's very own Lemmy. This trend started to die off as rock became more popular and metal became more intricate, but there are plenty of bands that are just as unsavory as ever.

Your ignorance of the above allows for my suggestion that your are, in fact, ignorant of the majority of the rock, metal and punk scenes. There's very obvious differences in sound, lyricism and attitude, even if they generally stem from the blues. For example, metal has a heavier focus on more abstract expressions of emotion, even going into and taking inspiration from historical events, classic texts and alternate philosophies. Punk, again, simplifies matters even further or complicates them further, speaking in very plain words about either one's feelings or politics.
Metal is also known for its political lyrics to a lesser extent, since punk was an idealogical movement as much as it was musical, whereas metal's only central ethos is "rock and let rock, unless they're fucking poseurs". Simply condemning the complete construct of "rock" into a single lyrical stereotype isn't only ludicrous, it displays and exceptional lack of understanding. Most people, at least, would construct a separate stereotype for each one.

For the record, the basic set of instruments in rock music are very, very versatile. Even just the electric guitar, for instance. While clean, it has more chord options and becomes largely a rhythm instrument, taking on arpeggio roles as well, but distortion opens a whole lot of options. The sustain afforded by said distortion allows for longer-last bends, vibrato and legato, and opens up the option of a "pinch harmonic", a kind of artificial harmonic that's loved by metal and rock players for its ability to be sounded anywhere on the instrument.
Guitars are what I like to term a "non-linear" instrument despite their apparent linearity, since you can manipulate the strings more than you can manipulate the buttons on a brass instrument or the keys on a piano. This means you can access a wide range of microtones in between the more common western notes, and, if you're careful with your choice of notes, even sound like other instruments, like the Indian sitar.
Bass and drums are in just about every genre and used the same way in almost all of them, so you can't claim that they're not versatile, and that claim is even less verified in rock and metal where advanced bass guitar and drum playing has exploded. The likes of Neil Peart and Mike Portnoy have set new standards for virtuosic drumming, and the Steve Harris-pioneered style of "lead bass" has given rise to such musicians as Victor Wooten. In short, there are thousands of people and musicians out there who are hearing quite a few things you are not, and thus I suggest that you review your attitude towards rock music in order to fully appreciate a wider musical spectrum.

This post has been edited by MadassAlex: Feb 7 2008, 10:47 AM

+
# 94StarTrekker Feb 7 2008, 11:32 AM
Way to take one little piece of what I said and completely take me out of the context and once again, totally miss the point wink.gif

Yes, guitars are versatile. Is this relevant? Nope.

Yes, I may be ignorant to the distinction between various types of current rock, metal, punk etc, but that is by choice for I know what my ears tell me when I listen to that kind of music. I am simply bored of it. Again, is this relevant? Nope. I am allowed to dislike certain types of music am I not?!

These days, I like to listen to a lot of musical instrument variety... even stuff .. omg .. without guitars... and sometimes ohmy.gif heaven forbid... without lyrics OR guitars happy.gif

I suggest that you review your attitude towards rock music in order to fully appreciate a wider musical spectrum.

Now this is what really annoys me. You, who have no concept of what I am saying, have the gall to say that. frusty.gif

I suggest you have a long hard think.

I am, and have been all along, trying to convey the benefits of listening to a wider range (variety, wider spectrum) of musical genres and you are trying to tell me to "appreciate a wider spectrum of music"????? OMG that is just so silly! happy.gif

+
# 95´'`Divine´'`Ravenheart´'` Feb 7 2008, 12:06 PM
Now the time has come when all is said and done
We're back together on the road it's time to fly
No more time to wait you know it feels so great
Wearin leather on a horse of steel I ride
I ain't waiting to get old I'm runnin hot I'm never cold
Kiss my ass if you don't like me I don't care
I got my wheels I got my friends we're on the road again
We're all crazy gonna ride until we die

Time to burn you losers better learn
No one controls our goddamn lifes
We'll do just what we feel riding horses made of steel
We're here to burn up the night

Losers try to put us down it's just another day
I got no money or big house just got life
I don't like to save it's more fun to spend
If you like metal you're my friend
And that bike out in the yard well that's my wife
Don't try to understand me my family never will
Had to punch my teacher out now he's chilled
I might stay in school or die in prison
Either way it's my decision one more beer and heavy metal
And I'm just fine

No one controls our goddamn lifes

We are the undefeated we're not living in the past
We're here tonight to kick some goddamn ass
Feel the power of the wheel lets drink to riding steel
Livin hard and ridin fast

No one controls our goddam lifes

Manowar - Return Of The Warlord

happy.gif wink.gif

Game: None

+
# 96MadassAlex Feb 7 2008, 12:11 PM
I don't think you're fully appreciating the impact of your earlier comments, especially given the irony of your supposed open-mindedness. In addition, right now I cannot see your point as every time one of your points is refuted, you claim that we're missing something.
Perhaps you could type your major point in bolded text so I could more accurately respond and more easily see the crux of your argument.

In any case, I'm not saying you have to listen to rock and its related genres or even like them. I'm just arguing against your points, which in my mind are only spreading ignorance. I also find it reprehensible that you're prepared to completely discredit art forms that are clearly alien to you, only because you lack the capacity to understand and appreciate them.

Now this is what really annoys me. You, who have no concept of what I am saying, have the gall to say that.

I see this from a reverse viewpoint. You've displayed an exceptional capacity for musical ignorance, which leads me to question whether you actually appreciate the amount of music you claim to or if you're merely trying to back up your claim about the supposed repetitive nature of rock music. You've referenced little other than genres tarnished by over-commercialisation, which again supports my claim that you don't go to any kind of lengths to access music that isn't immediately noticable in the mainstream.
If you have any arguments against rock music in general that aren't complete conjecture or based on preference alone, then raise them now. This could be a great opportunity to correct some misunderstandings and expand your ear and taste so that, in the future, you'll have less ignorance to embarrass yourself with.

+
# 97ChrisLeBlanc Feb 7 2008, 12:26 PM
QUOTE(StarTrekker @ Feb 7 2008, 03:58 AM) *

Piss weak argument, but I guess you can't do much else when you just can't comprehend the point being made.

What is the point being made? You are jumping everywhere. Metal is shock lyrics. Nope. Metal is just guitars and drums? Nope. What point ARE you making?

+
# 98StarTrekker Feb 8 2008, 14:06 PM
laugh.gif ROFL laugh.gif

See what I mean?!! laugh.gif

I'd just be repeating myself if I try to explain it again.

+
# 99StarTrekker Feb 8 2008, 14:34 PM
MadAss, stop using the word ignorant / ignorance. I am not nearly as ignorant of your points as you are of mine. I understand what you are saying but it's completely irrelevant. But I guess you lack the capacity to understand or appreciate that. wink.gif

I give up trying to explain it. If you haven't got it by now, you're just not gonna get it.

How bout you stop being so offended / offensive, drop the "ignorant" accusations and the "don't have the capacity to understand" angles and I'll do the same... before I go and ban your ass from the BORG forums tongue.gif smile.gif

FFS I listen to music every day, sometimes 14 hours a day. I like variety in music and I know it very well. I have lots of it. I've listen to lots of the bands/groups you are talking about and some you've probably never listened to because they're too old now and some you probably haven't come accross that I have via family and friends.

Yet you think I am somehow ignorant of it? wacko.gif Think again.

With so much listening time, I bet I also listen to music that you guys most likely wouldn't bother with because it isn't of the genre that you like.

Let's try a topic morph?

Who here likes Hip Hop? tongue.gif

+
# 100-Wraith^ Feb 8 2008, 15:13 PM
QUOTE(StarTrekker @ Feb 8 2008, 15:34 PM) *

Who here likes Hip Hop? tongue.gif

I hate it. It's exactly the oppeside of my own music style.

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)