Explore GameReplays...

Bad Company 2

AT4 Discussion Topic

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 21RaGe` Jan 22 2011, 21:59 PM
ofc the kills are important lol
worst case is if the chopper is destroyed and there are 2 guys jumping out, most likely over/behind your base, being able to steal your teams vehicles, kill your snipers and back ups on stationary weapons.
Not to mention that theyre gonna take your secured home flags easily, especially with the BFBCII squad system, making it possible to spawn and spread over the map...

Game: League of Legends

+
# 22dizzy Jan 22 2011, 22:42 PM
QUOTE(RaGe` @ Jan 22 2011, 22:59 PM) *

ofc the kills are important lol
worst case is if the chopper is destroyed and there are 2 guys jumping out, most likely over/behind your base, being able to steal your teams vehicles, kill your snipers and back ups on stationary weapons.
Not to mention that theyre gonna take your secured home flags easily, especially with the BFBCII squad system, making it possible to spawn and spread over the map...

The worst case scenario with a tracer and rpg is that they eject and steal your vehicles? How is that better than the worse case scenario with the AT4, the one where you don't hit them and your team gets raped by a helicopter. In this game, kills take second stage to neutralising game changing characters. With an rpg and tracer you stand a much higher chance of destroying the chopper, and therefore it's more efficient. I'm not saying the AT4 is in any way worse than an rpg and tracer, personally I never run engineer without and AT4 or mines, but the fact is in the hands of most players a tracer and rpg is far better at removing aircraft.

And if you want to steal vehicles and cap home flags you're far better off on an ATV or CAJ (I think that's what they're called) or simply on foot because it's far sneakier. That and you don't waste a chopper. Choppers are arguably the most game changing aspect of the game, removing them, even if you don't get a precious 50 points and a better K/D, is important. You shouldn't be trying to kill the chopper just to get the kills but to remove the threat.

Think of it this way, with the RPG and tracer you will get 130 points (the trace and destroy vehicle) almost guaranteed, plus a potential to get 100 more points in the best case scenario. You're also more likely to win the game due to the fact you've neutralised the helicopter faster (even if you just get a trace and not a kill, the chopper will be scared off, meaning your team will be safe) meaning you're likely to get 200 points. In total, the best case scenario is you get 430 points.

If you use the AT4, best case scenario is you get 400 points (destroy vehicle, two kills and a game win) but you're significantly less likely to actually hit the chopper.

Game: Dawn of War 2

+
# 23RaGe` Jan 22 2011, 22:58 PM
You're absolutely right that its a waste of ammunition if you fire 8 shots at a chopper and dont hit, when you could as well help to destroy enemies tanks.
But IF you hit (and as I said I found myself hitting them lik 80% of my attempts at any distance, whether you believe it or not) its a very effective way to get rid of your enemies aircraft that cant even be dodged by flares (that any pilot will use once he has been shot down with the cg to make it useless)

Don't forget the low reloading time of the flares/smoke that make it immune against hte cg/rpg - treacer dart combination.

Another point is the distance: if I see a chopper on another flag >500m away on Heavy Metal I take it down with the AT whereas with the CG I would need a teammate using the tracer dart and maybe wait forever as I cant track mark it over that huge distance.

+
# 24dizzy Jan 22 2011, 23:22 PM
QUOTE(RaGe` @ Jan 22 2011, 23:58 PM) *

You're absolutely right that its a waste of ammunition if you fire 8 shots at a chopper and dont hit, when you could as well help to destroy enemies tanks.
But IF you hit (and as I said I found myself hitting them lik 80% of my attempts at any distance, whether you believe it or not) its a very effective way to get rid of your enemies aircraft that cant even be dodged by flares (that any pilot will use once he has been shot down with the cg to make it useless)

Don't forget the low reloading time of the flares/smoke that make it immune against hte cg/rpg - treacer dart combination.

Another point is the distance: if I see a chopper on another flag >500m away on Heavy Metal I take it down with the AT whereas with the CG I would need a teammate using the tracer dart and maybe wait forever as I cant track mark it over that huge distance.

I'm not questioning that it's effective if you can use it. I rarely go a round on the vehicle heavy maps with less than 90% accuracy with the AT4 (mostly firing at tanks admittedly, although rocket sniping with the AT4 is brilliant, I have a great image of the sniper looking down this scope and seeing a rocket flying towards them, strafing a little and then seeing the rocket alter it's cause :haha:) but the point is in the hands of most players using an rpg and tracer will be simply more effective, and even when using an AT4 you're better off going for tanks with it.

And that's why I always run smoke launchers on helicopters. biggrin.gif

And never rely on anyone else to trace a target for you if you're in a public server. wink.gif

+
# 25Walderschmidt Jan 23 2011, 04:31 AM
Today I hit my very first helicopter (an apache) thanks to his information.

Thanks!

+
# 26Nimitz Jan 23 2011, 21:48 PM
RaGe you're a fucking low. Seriously.

Ontopic
Love using the AT4, reminds me of the rocket launchers in BF2142. <3

Game: Generals 2

+
# 27RaGe` Jan 23 2011, 21:58 PM
yea good that you know that much about me

+
# 28dizzy Jan 23 2011, 22:33 PM
QUOTE(Walderschmidt @ Jan 23 2011, 05:31 AM) *

Today I hit my very first helicopter (an apache) thanks to his information.

Thanks!

Isn't it wonderful? biggrin.gif When that little; vehicle damage, vehicle destroyed, killed an enemy, killed an enemy, double kill cycle rolls down your screen it really does warm the heart.

+
# 29Zm0r Jan 24 2011, 17:18 PM
I rarely get kills with this weapon. I only get kills on tanks (since noone is gonna jump out of a 60% tank, but one rokit to the side and BAM, double kill for me), and i get kills on choppers only when i hit the side or a far front (side for gunners or far front for driver/gunner in that 2-man choppers)... They usually jump out and survive, but i take the chopper down anyway smile.gif
I'm getting better with it, after watching this video i wanted to use it, first time hit like 50%, after 6-7 games i hit like 70% (i had 70% accuracy, but mostly because i died while firing 5 rockets, and died like 1 second before it hit the chopper), few hours ago, i had 90 something % accuracy smile.gif hurray for me

And Rage, srsly, kills ain't most important, and gustav scores more kills on chopper than AT4 (gustav's kill range is HUGE, i had like triple and quad kills with gustav for shooting helis).
And don't argue with dizzy when your arguments are lame plz. Dizzy was pointing out that most people suck with at4 and that it's better used on vehicles since it does more dmg (like 80ish% from back and sides with explosive upgrade), and chopper is gonna get downed by one rocket, no matter from which weapon tongue.gif

Game: Heroes of Newerth

+
# 30RaGe` Jan 24 2011, 18:51 PM
flares, range, skill
nuff said

+
# 31dizzy Jan 24 2011, 22:33 PM
QUOTE(RaGe` @ Jan 24 2011, 19:51 PM) *

flares, range, skill
nuff said

Hardly anyone runs flares, and those that do are normally the people who are so good in a helicopter you'll be relying more on luck than skill to knock them out with an AT4.

Range, so what? That also means the helicopter has forever to see you coming and dodge you, plus it relies, again, on luck.

Skill? Maybe, but only to a limit. A half decent helicopter pilot will recognise an AT4 and dodge it with ease. And as I may have mentioned before, if lady luck isn't on your side then you'll be missing an awful lot.

Using an AT4 is much like a Friday night. If it works out perfectly then you're in for one hell of a time. If not, well you'll be going home early with a spent tube and a broken ego.

This post has been edited by dizzy: Jan 24 2011, 22:41 PM

+
# 32Zm0r Jan 24 2011, 23:23 PM
I knocked out every single heli today dizzy tongue.gif
Lvl 50s mostly. I even got kicked from a server for owning people so hard xD
AT4 is awesome, but 80% of the people are just bad with it...

+
# 33D3DiC4Ti0N Jan 25 2011, 09:03 AM
it blatantly obvious that neither rage nor dizzy have ever faced a good pilot

Game: Bad Company 2

+
# 34RaGe` Jan 25 2011, 11:03 AM
its blatantly obvious you dont know how to use the AT4 properly and thus never killed a helicopter with it

+
# 35CrushNZ Jan 25 2011, 11:10 AM
Hey gents, just a friendly reminder to keep it nice in here, we aren't here to be hostile with each other. smile.gif

Even after reading this, I'm still really struggling to hit choppers with the AT4, I see to always be about a foot behind my target when the rocket passes it. Whether this is because I'm not leading the rocket further enough originally or if I'm guiding right I don't know. Any advice?

Game: Battlefield 3

+
# 36RaGe` Jan 25 2011, 11:44 AM
Start aiming where he will be, then correct your route.

In order to really change the rockets trajectory you need to move your (invisible) crosshair like hell, especially if the chopper passes you and isnt flying right at you. Dont be shy and move that thing like mad; helicopters accelerate extremely fast flying down, so you wont get them by keeping your sight right over them.

Staying zoomed you will sometimes only be able to hit it if he gets out of your sight, don't worry about that.

Don't care about the crosshair/that orange box, only pay attention to the rocket itself. Most important thing is to rate the rockets distance, which might be hard as its just small dot on your screen. This is needed as you will want to avoid aiming at them directly (lock-on warning) and change your route as late as possible.

Never give up. Yesterday I was totally sure that I would miss a chopper, but then he was flying away and I kept tracking it. Just when he was about to go sideways I managed to 'pull' the rocket up a last time and hit his tail. Damn I want marksman-chopper-destruction extra points.

This post has been edited by RaGe`: Jan 25 2011, 11:47 AM

+
# 37dizzy Jan 25 2011, 13:05 PM
QUOTE(CrushNZ @ Jan 25 2011, 12:10 PM) *

Hey gents, just a friendly reminder to keep it nice in here, we aren't here to be hostile with each other. smile.gif

Even after reading this, I'm still really struggling to hit choppers with the AT4, I see to always be about a foot behind my target when the rocket passes it. Whether this is because I'm not leading the rocket further enough originally or if I'm guiding right I don't know. Any advice?

The main problem with the AT4 is learning to judge the distance to your rocket, and then the distance to the helicopter, in order to make adjustments. It's really a case of learning the speed of the rocket and rough distances to areas of the map. I guess, like sniping, it's something you have to practise rather than something that can be written down and explained. Start on helicopters that are mid-range as they're the easiest to shoot down. Short and long range are both more difficult due to the relative speed of the helicopter compared to your reticle and trying to judge the distance of the rocket, respectively.

+
# 38Zm0r Jan 25 2011, 14:22 PM
Semi-long range is the easiest for me. I can play around and still hit the damn thing. If you see the chopper turned to one side, let's say left, try hitting it from the blind spot (in this case - right), Just lead your rocket away a little and than crash it down on the chopper - u can't use this close range, and most of the time they won't have enough time to react close range anyway biggrin.gif
Oh, as they said, play isla inocentes, great for learning

+
# 39HIRSCHN Feb 18 2011, 21:06 PM
sick vid man ohmy.gif

Game: Battlefield 3

+
# 40MidRange Mar 2 2011, 17:38 PM
Yeah, lets not post the person who is top of the AT4 leaderboards....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1q9PdkfzlGo

+

Enable email notification of replies |  Enable Smilies |  Enable Signature

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)