Explore GameReplays...

Command and Conquer 4

Medusas lack of use

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1Seargant Jan 22 2011, 19:11 PM
Hey guys

Wanted to talk about the Medusa one of the most underused units in the game i think. Wanted to know whether it deserves to be this underused? Or does it have a niche?

Game: Command and Conquer 4

+
# 2Tony_A179 Jan 22 2011, 22:59 PM
You know this is like the 4th form on this topic

First reply

+
# 3Tony_A179 Jan 22 2011, 23:03 PM
The main reason the Medusa is unerused is the fact that the DPS is horrible, and the debuffs aren't that usefull, the secondary abilities are pretty good but the cooldown time makes it impossible for the Medusa to be really useful.

+
# 4Sammyyyy Jan 23 2011, 00:55 AM
Biggest problem I think is that people like to spam things. People try spamming Medusas, they get owned and so they think they are bad units. 1 of them supporting your other units however works pretty well. Also its worth saying that its quicker to decom a Medusa and build another and use its abilities, then to wait for the abilities to recharge, so its got a slow recharge rate... While it does do low dps, it slows a group of units around the target which can be helpful. They are rather fragile for heavy units tho so they're definately made for the more supporting role.

+
# 5stormgear Jan 23 2011, 02:29 AM
they're definately made for the more supporting role.

^ This.
Medusas shouldn't be used as a damage units but rather as a support unit as they were intended (support class) imo. Just pop one or two and try to help a friend around with it. Then use the rest of your cp for your fiendish deeds smilie_naughty.gif

+
# 6Incia Jan 23 2011, 02:44 AM
I think people rely too much of the fricking counter system.

"oh BLAST damage, let's spam Medusas and kill that Defense Player"
*ragequit cas medusas suuuck*

I wish they took away the damage all together and only gave Medusa a slow-down beam, and reduce the cool-down of the two abilities so it can be a solid support unit only.

Game: CNC Tiberian Dawn Remastered

+
# 7stormgear Jan 23 2011, 03:15 AM
Yeah, their current cooldown feels rather too long. Do you think 50cp Medusas would/can compensate for that? But spamming Medusas aren't exactly a smart thing to do now atm or so I think.

It's also worth noting that if you want a particular attack/ability to be "more effective" you need to spam / pump out more of that unit with those properties. Hence my suggestion to compensate for the cooldown above.

+
# 8Tony_A179 Jan 23 2011, 13:45 PM
QUOTE(stormgear @ Jan 22 2011, 21:29 PM) *

^ This.
Medusas shouldn't be used as a damage units but rather as a support unit as they were intended (support class) imo. Just pop one or two and try to help a friend around with it. Then use the rest of your cp for your fiendish deeds smilie_naughty.gif

But to me support doesn't feel like helping others, except for the Sp, helping others as support is more or less the same as helping them as all of the classes

+
# 9Incia Jan 23 2011, 15:21 PM
Support class is basically the only class with aura-buffs, low HP units, SUPPORT units.

Hammerheads are mostly only used because of their RoF boost, Tyrants are only used for their RoF-boost, Sheppard for medium ground and to give a dodge-boost, Support Powers to boost allies. Leviathans and Kodiaks to give armor-boost, conductor to give EMP/repair boost etc...
Then Medusa to give healing boost, EMP rockets and slow debuffs.

Support class is there to support.

+
# 10ZodiacHeadlock Jan 25 2011, 19:13 PM
Medusa is more like Nod's answer to the Archangel. It heals, it debuffs the enemy, it EMP's the enemy (Nod's only way of doing this, plus GDI has no countermeasures). The main difference is that the Medusa does have some (limited) damaging ability. Even so, it's attack is mainly to ensnare the target for the other heavy hitters like Basilisks or Avengers. Medusas should never be used offensively. They are starting to see some use recently, as keeping at least 1 with a group of Basilisks is great for a push or a crawler ambush.

+
# 11TwiggyTwit Jan 28 2011, 11:26 AM
only problem is it takes forever for the ability's to cool down, you may aswell use the ability delete and redeploy another medusa... having 2 means you'll have a medusa at any given time

+
# 12ZodiacHeadlock Jan 28 2011, 18:54 PM
I think some people actually do that...

+
# 13Comp_Lex Feb 18 2011, 15:11 PM
Its slowdown beam is great when there is a nuke ready. Slow down all units and throw a nuke on top of them! This trick also works with GDI: Rhino + Ion Cannon. I have tested this with Hard AI* and it really works.

*) Remember Hard AI always moves away when it is being targeted by a support power.

Game: Generals 2

+
# 14Incia Feb 19 2011, 17:26 PM
Just had a weird game online, with air spam, built 1 medusa for lulz and it was actually very helpful... the fact the flux cannon also targets air units and it has an AoE effect, much like thunderheads beam.

Shooting in the middle of a orca/paladin spam, slowing them all down. Made them easy targets to my other units.

+
# 15Tony_A179 Feb 20 2011, 11:58 AM
QUOTE(Incia @ Feb 19 2011, 12:26 PM) *

Just had a weird game online, with air spam, built 1 medusa for lulz and it was actually very helpful... the fact the flux cannon also targets air units and it has an AoE effect, much like thunderheads beam.

Shooting in the middle of a orca/paladin spam, slowing them all down. Made them easy targets to my other units.

Thunderheads beam ????????????

+
# 16Incia Feb 20 2011, 12:04 PM
Yes.

+
# 17Tony_A179 Feb 20 2011, 12:22 PM
QUOTE(Incia @ Feb 20 2011, 07:04 AM) *

Yes.

sorry thinking of hammerhead, but the thunderhead is in pulses and dimobilizes the unit affected, the medusa is a constant stream attack and it slows the units down and decreaces dodge.

+
# 18Converse Apr 11 2011, 16:19 PM
I think Medusa isnt a really usefull unit, because it doesnt inflict lot of damage as basilisk or leviatan, but i think it could be used for help sole your units with his abilities or heal a friend.

+
# 19Incia Apr 11 2011, 16:41 PM
QUOTE(Converse @ Apr 11 2011, 18:19 PM) *

I think Medusa isnt a really usefull unit, because it doesnt inflict lot of damage as basilisk or leviatan, but i think it could be used for help sole your units with his abilities or heal a friend.

Omg another "it doesn't do damage enough"... it's a support unit! How many times do we have to say this? The flux cannon SLOW EFFECT alone makes it worth the 10CP, the healing ability and Nods ONLY EMP weapon is just big bonuses.

Also just saw it on the finals used superbly.
Have a look and enjoy the Medusa ownage Supporting a big army.

Medusas owning!

+
# 20Mr. Commander Jul 13 2011, 22:20 PM
Having a medusa in your army can work wonders mainly because you can annoy your opponent to death(its most powerful ability). Nod's only EMP and it can't be countered. That makes it worth the 10 cp alone.

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)