Explore GameReplays...

Battle for Middle Earth

Ladder error

Closed Topic Start new topic
# 21HungryTroll Jan 27 2018, 16:48 PM
QUOTE(Xehanort @ Jan 27 2018, 21:40 PM) *

I assume you made this topic, not because you were offhost 3/4, but because you also lost these games.

If you draw 10 games the probability of getting 5 on host and 5 offhost is like 25%. It's hardly enough data to come to a conclusion. Over time these things eventually even out...

No, i made this topic coz just was interested how this system works.

Clan: The Last Knights of Middle-Earth

Game: Battle for Middle Earth

+
# 22HungryTroll Jan 27 2018, 17:06 PM
QUOTE(Xehanort @ Jan 27 2018, 21:40 PM) *

If you draw 10 games the probability of getting 5 on host and 5 offhost is like 25%. It's hardly enough data to come to a conclusion. Over time these things eventually even out...

This post has been edited by HungryTroll: Jan 27 2018, 17:55 PM

Clan: The Last Knights of Middle-Earth

+
# 23Amateur`Hour Jan 27 2018, 18:34 PM
That's just the way qm was intended to work, random maps, random host (although not so random in EA)...It would be the same if we were standing face to face and flipped a coin 10 times. Do you think we would always get a perfect 5 heads 5 tails split? Just like the coin, each game is it's own "50/50" chance for host. People are more likely to remember the time they were offhost 3 games in a row than when they were onhost 3 in a row.

Maybe the old EA ladder tried to address the issue and that's how we ended up with some names hosting 90%+ of their games...Either way the method we're using now seems the most fair to me. Quick Match always implemented a large degree of luck, if you wanted a more competitive format then switch to clan wars.

Game: League of Legends

+
# 24ICT Jan 27 2018, 21:09 PM
QUOTE(HungryTroll @ Jan 27 2018, 16:48 PM) *

No, i made this topic coz just was interested how this system works.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mersenne_Twister
as implemented in
https://github.com/python/cpython/blob/3.6/Lib/random.py
It's a random pick of the player array.

+
# 25suturbs Jan 28 2018, 01:56 AM
QUOTE(Amateur`Hour @ Jan 27 2018, 20:34 PM) *

It would be the same if we were standing face to face and flipped a coin 10 times.

when the coach of the soccer game flips a coin, it determines first round's starter. not the both first and second starter. this is the problem. official servers were not so random hosting, and even in terms of map I bet, also their point-regulation wasn't same at all as far as I am guessing.

This post has been edited by suturbs: Jan 28 2018, 02:18 AM

+
# 26Amateur`Hour Jan 28 2018, 06:11 AM
QUOTE(suturbs @ Jan 28 2018, 01:56 AM) *

when the coach of the soccer game flips a coin, it determines first round's starter. not the both first and second starter. this is the problem. official servers were not so random hosting, and even in terms of map I bet, also their point-regulation wasn't same at all as far as I am guessing.

You lost me. What's the point of bringing up soccer halves? That coin flip determines which goal the players go for the first half of ONE total game. Just like the quickmatch generator determines the host for ONE game. Unless you're trying to imply that every time someone plays quickmatch that they are locked in and forced to play two games... Which brings me back to what I said in the post you quoted, if you want a fair 100% equal host/map then just play clanwars...Quickmatch was meant to have random aspects to it, it's a shame we can't have the random opponents though, but that would be impossible to implement unless you feel like forking over the funding for a server.

+
# 27suturbs Jan 28 2018, 08:57 AM
Second half in soccer predetermined, however in this QM another game, or other games aren't.

You see, if any QM draw was supposed to be followed by a second game draw automatically(host to be switched), that would make sense.

Note: Host switch and mu switch was a good example of "justice" in the previous tourney.

This post has been edited by suturbs: Jan 28 2018, 09:00 AM

+
# 28Amateur`Hour Jan 28 2018, 16:43 PM
QUOTE(suturbs @ Jan 28 2018, 08:57 AM) *

Second half in soccer predetermined, however in this QM another game, or other games aren't.

You see, if any QM draw was supposed to be followed by a second game draw automatically(host to be switched), that would make sense.

Note: Host switch and mu switch was a good example of "justice" in the previous tourney.

And that is how they do it in clan wars...it's not a rule but it's generally accepted that if you play a game on your host you should give your opponent a re match on their host...but QM was always meant to be random, which should be more beneficial to more well rounded players that can play well on most maps/ match ups as opposed to just fords and anorien.

I feel like you're trying to make QM into something it's not. Let QM stay a random and more "fun mode" and keep the super competitive formats for tournaments and clanwars.

+
# 29suturbs Jan 29 2018, 02:39 AM
Dear Amateur`Hour, good conclusional opinion. I appreciate that.

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)