Explore GameReplays...

8bit Armies, Hordes and Invaders

This game... is just bad

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 41Plokite_Wolf Apr 25 2016, 19:50 PM
QUOTE(Maru @ Apr 25 2016, 21:43 PM) *
Have you ever played any of the BFME series?

Yes I did, I tasted all of them. They have some charm, but if it weren't for the LotR license, far less people would care about it, because it too lacked variety and had a bad resource/pop-cap system. Basically, a cash-in, neither good nor bad - it's "there". (Though if I'd pick any for multiplayer, it'd be RotWK 2.02).

Why do you ask?

Game: Kanes Wrath

+
# 42Maru Apr 25 2016, 19:56 PM
QUOTE(Plokite_Wolf @ Apr 25 2016, 20:50 PM) *

Yes I did, I tasted all of them. They have some charm, but if it weren't for the LotR license, far less people would care about it, because it too lacked variety and had a bad resource/pop-cap system. Basically, a cash-in, neither good nor bad - it's "there". (Though if I'd pick any for multiplayer, it'd be RotWK 2.02).

Why do you ask?

Because the bfme2 team are working on a new 1.9 patch that will completely overhaul the graphics and some of the game play. You might want to start thinking about re-installing your bfme2 game in preparation.

Clan: New Generation

Game: Battle for Middle Earth 2

+
# 43Plokite_Wolf Apr 25 2016, 20:04 PM
What does that have to do with anything here?

+
# 44Lauren Apr 25 2016, 21:13 PM
QUOTE(Plokite_Wolf @ Apr 25 2016, 17:43 PM) *
they are not Westwood - if they were, they'd make successful games

Actually if they were they'd announce about 100000 features and cut 99990 of them right before release.

+
# 45Plokite_Wolf Apr 25 2016, 21:41 PM
But oomph the remaining 10 still tongue.gif

But AFAIK, only TibSun suffered from that problem.

+
# 46TomaSkTemplar May 11 2016, 16:17 PM
btw there were always 10 tech levels ...

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 47ScOtSmAn May 11 2016, 16:34 PM
It reminds me of C&C3, its kinda fun yet repetitive, some interface problems, very limited like most C&C games were(generals excluded) strategy/micro wise. A fair attempt though it was a lot like playing the original C&C. Worth the price tag! If you like C&C, Ra1 etc it's probably a decent purchase but don't expect to get a lot of hours out of it, campaign is easy even on the hardest setting, skirmish the same, multiplayer seems dead atm! but it will probably bring you some amusement for a time as well as some nostalgia!

Clan: iWuB

Game: CNC Generals

+
# 48AgmLauncher May 11 2016, 16:53 PM
QUOTE(Plokite_Wolf @ Apr 24 2016, 05:53 AM) *
The game also made no effort to differ in any way from any RTS made before it

That's what's good about it. The genre got saturated with DOZENS of sub standard RTS games that tried to be different for the sake of it.

Classic RTS is a formula that works very well, but it's also very hard to get right. So lots of companies took shortcuts to doing it right, by doing it "different", and the result was almost always a less interesting gameplay experience.

Clan: CrAzY

Game: 8bit Armies, Hordes and Invaders

+
# 49Plokite_Wolf May 11 2016, 17:37 PM
QUOTE(ScOtSmAn @ May 11 2016, 18:34 PM) *
It reminds me of C&C3, its kinda fun yet repetitive, some interface problems, very limited like most C&C games were(generals excluded) strategy/micro wise. A fair attempt though it was a lot like playing the original C&C. Worth the price tag! If you like C&C, Ra1 etc it's probably a decent purchase but don't expect to get a lot of hours out of it, campaign is easy even on the hardest setting, skirmish the same, multiplayer seems dead atm! but it will probably bring you some amusement for a time as well as some nostalgia!

Compared to C&C1 and RA1 which are actually freeware and have always been complete games, it's very overpriced even tongue.gif

QUOTE(AgmLauncher @ May 11 2016, 18:53 PM) *

That's what's good about it. The genre got saturated with DOZENS of sub standard RTS games that tried to be different for the sake of it.

At least for those, you can say "They tried something different, it didn't work, kudos for effort." 8-Bit Armies takes the state of RTS games from C&C1, takes out an entire faction, sends a good part of the unit count to the Recycle Bin, makes an effortless campaign (they even BOASTED on not having any cutscenes, which is supposed to be a good thing only in their CM's mind) and removes all the charm. I feel very sorry for Klepacki, he seems to be the only one actually giving some effort into his work now.

It's not even a problem of using the vintage RTS formula, it's the problem of not even doing it completely!

but it's also very hard to get right.

In fact, it's very easy to get right. Many smaller studios did it right and added their own bit of flavour to it back in the 90s and early 2000s (Ellipse Studios, Mad Doc Software, Melbourne House... to name a few).

So lots of companies took shortcuts to doing it right, by doing it "different", and the result was almost always a less interesting gameplay experience.

Do name me some games that have had their "difference" stand in the way of a successful RTS experience so much.

+
# 50ScOtSmAn May 11 2016, 17:54 PM
QUOTE(Plokite_Wolf @ May 11 2016, 18:37 PM) *

Compared to C&C1 and RA1 which are actually freeware and have always been complete games, it's very overpriced even tongue.gif

nah cause everyone has like 30 copies of those games cause they've be re-released so much! there is no point in selling them lol, this game is similar but not the same and it's a welcome change to RTS which is a mess as a genre. C&C being the prime example! It's probably simpler than every other RTS before it but It's refreshing how simple it is since you can pick up an play so easily, not going to be for everyone but "8bit armies" it wasn't going to be anything else laugh.gif

+
# 51Plokite_Wolf May 11 2016, 17:58 PM
QUOTE(ScOtSmAn @ May 11 2016, 19:54 PM) *
this game is similar but not the same and it's a welcome change to RTS which is a mess as a genre. C&C being the prime example!

...?

QUOTE(ScOtSmAn @ May 11 2016, 19:54 PM) *
It's probably simpler than every other RTS before it but It's refreshing how simple it is since you can pick up an play so easily, not going to be for everyone but "8bit armies" it wasn't going to be anything else laugh.gif

Anything simpler than the games upon which it was based, and even the game often mentioned as the first-ever (true) RTS, Dune II, is reason enough to be concerned whether Petroglyph staff is filled with interns who have played RA2 like once and thought they understood it tongue.gif

+
# 52ScOtSmAn May 11 2016, 18:02 PM
C&C... you know the series that is one of the biggest but screwed laugh.gif
Don't think you need to be concerned, it's the most balanced RTS ever created. They are genius.

+
# 53Plokite_Wolf May 11 2016, 18:07 PM
QUOTE(ScOtSmAn @ May 11 2016, 20:02 PM) *
C&C... you know the series that is one of the biggest but screwed laugh.gif

C&C4 isn't a C&C game, we don't talk about it. tongue.gif

Besides, most other C&C games are worth something, which is not something you can say about Petroglyph's post-2008 portfolio.

QUOTE(ScOtSmAn @ May 11 2016, 20:02 PM) *
Don't think you need to be concerned, it's the most balanced RTS ever created. They are genius.

Saying a one-faction game is balanced is like saying that skill levels are even in a football league populated by one single team.

+
# 54ScOtSmAn May 11 2016, 18:17 PM
QUOTE(Plokite_Wolf @ May 11 2016, 19:07 PM) *

C&C4 isn't a C&C game, we don't talk about it. tongue.gif

Besides, most other C&C games are worth something, which is not something you can say about Petroglyph's post-2008 portfolio.
Saying a one-faction game is balanced is like saying that skill levels are even in a football league populated by one single team.

The whole C&C franchise is dead... C&C4 i played the alpha or something that was it but C&C/RA3 etc aren't exactly good games compared to the standards generals set, just saying tongue.gif

It's no lie though, the balance is incredible, they did an excellent job with it.

+
# 55Plokite_Wolf May 11 2016, 18:22 PM
QUOTE(ScOtSmAn @ May 11 2016, 20:17 PM) *
The whole C&C franchise is dead... C&C4 i played the alpha or something that was it but C&C/RA3 etc aren't exactly good games compared to the standards generals set, just saying tongue.gif

Generals is a C&C game only by name, and I'd bet you at least half of its fans like it just for propagandist USA armies and stereotypical Arab terrorists. It feels more shallow than RA2, which was made by the same Westwood Pacific division from Irvine, CA...

RA3 tried to experiment and bring something new, and people are sadly divided on its orientation to a 50:50 split on ground and sea battles. It's not a bad game at all, it just lacked a bit of polish.

QUOTE(ScOtSmAn @ May 11 2016, 20:17 PM) *
It's no lie though, the balance is incredible, they did an excellent job with it.

See previous post.

+
# 56ScOtSmAn May 11 2016, 18:31 PM
QUOTE(Plokite_Wolf @ May 11 2016, 19:22 PM) *

Generals is a C&C game only by name, and I'd bet you at least half of its fans like it just for propagandist USA armies and stereotypical Arab terrorists. It feels more shallow than RA2, which was made by the same Westwood Pacific division from Irvine, CA...

RA3 tried to experiment and bring something new, and people are sadly divided on its orientation to a 50:50 split on ground and sea battles. It's not a bad game at all, it just lacked a bit of polish.
See previous post.

Generals the last westwood C&C game wink.gif nah pretty much everyone played china actually. But 3 completely unique factions with excellent balance and unlimited tactical and micro capabilities... the prime of C&C.
Ra3 was a basic bitch. Can't deny the flawless balance of 8bit armies.

+
# 57Plokite_Wolf May 11 2016, 18:40 PM
QUOTE(ScOtSmAn @ May 11 2016, 20:31 PM) *
nah pretty much everyone played china actually.

Competitively maybe, but I'm thinking of the main Generals fandom drooling over a setting that looks like George Bush's fanfic and ignoring the gameplay that did little to resemble the Tiberium and Red Alert games.

unlimited tactical and micro capabilities... the prime of C&C.

Eh... what? Generals weren't expansive before Zero Hour came along, and it had its own share of limitations and lack of balance that you needed 1.06 to fix.

Ra3 was a basic bitch.

Proven by what, exactly? And how come 8-Bit Armies, an obvious cash-grab attempt from a plummeting developer, isn't basic to you?

Can't deny the flawless balance of 8bit armies.

You're starting to sound funny laugh.gif

+
# 58ScOtSmAn May 11 2016, 18:53 PM
QUOTE(Plokite_Wolf @ May 11 2016, 19:40 PM) *

Competitively maybe, but I'm thinking of the main Generals fandom drooling over a setting that looks like George Bush's fanfic and ignoring the gameplay that did little to resemble the Tiberium and Red Alert games.
Eh... what? Generals weren't expansive before Zero Hour came along, and it had its own share of limitations and lack of balance that you needed 1.06 to fix.
Proven by what, exactly? And how come 8-Bit Armies, an obvious cash-grab attempt from a plummeting developer, isn't basic to you?
You're starting to sound funny laugh.gif

generals.. never had a fandom it was hated by all even me, piece of trash game
zh... more factions didn't = more strategies laugh.gif it limited them and also took away a lot of the micro aspects from generals that made game so interesting, zh is probably the worst game i've ever played
ra3.. provin by the fact it needed boobs an Japanese school girls to sell copies and 8bit just needed one faction and 6 units to be more fun, 8bit delivers absolutely nothing yet everything you need in an RTS at the same time!

+
# 59Plokite_Wolf May 11 2016, 18:59 PM
QUOTE(ScOtSmAn @ May 11 2016, 20:53 PM) *
ra3.. provin by the fact it needed boobs an Japanese school girls to sell copies

I haven't ever seen anyone play RA3 for the fanservice. Ever. Any legit arguments?

more factions didn't = more strategies

Usually it does mean more strategies, but ZH apparently fucked that up as well. But, if anything, the gameplay feels more varied, at least a slight bit.

it limited them and also took away a lot of the micro aspects from generals that made game so interesting,

So, to you, all an RTS needs to have is micro and not much else?

+
# 60ScOtSmAn May 11 2016, 19:13 PM
QUOTE(Plokite_Wolf @ May 11 2016, 19:59 PM) *

I haven't ever seen anyone play RA3 for the fanservice. Ever. Any legit arguments?
Usually it does mean more strategies, but ZH apparently fucked that up as well. But, if anything, the gameplay feels more varied, at least a slight bit.
So, to you, all an RTS needs to have is micro and not much else?

when 90% of a games budget is on actors and 5% on water effects all you need is math laugh.gif
nah but ra3 like cnc3 before it lacks anything new and only allows for basic strategy competitively it get's really repetitive fast which is similar too 8bit but you don't need to wade through huners of shite to see that wit 8bit

Nope, just means every faction has 1 or 2 viable strategies that can be used against every other faction 'cause of the balance. If you think ZH has more variety in gameplay than generals I guess this is from a single player perspective.

Generals you only have 3 factions but you can pretty much come up with a new way of playing every game till the end of time it's really that unlimited..

NO but the subtle micro of generals made everything more interesting... zero hour is a dumbed down version of generals basically that involves a lot of spamming of a few units and the maps make you focus into choke points so most games play out the same

This post has been edited by ScOtSmAn: May 11 2016, 19:21 PM

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)