Explore GameReplays...

Dawn of War 3

DotA2

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1Barrogh Dec 19 2011, 21:35 PM
Of all experience those who served in Deathwatch learned during the time of their servitude, almost none is unique to this single chapter. Every Space Marine will claim that every place in the Imperium can be the one where an initiate will learn things that a warrior proves every day: skill and valor, cunning and and duty, initiative and teamwork, calculation and fury.

But one thing Space Marine can learn from his Deathwatch servitude for sure is that Ordo Xenos representatives follow shadowy path, balancing between incompatible ideals, now radiant Purism, then dire Phenonitism. Few battle-brothers are daring enough to open their minds to such ways, for only extensive training in mental arts allows a man to superpose such knowledge with boon of Space Marine indoctrination without sowing ruinous seeds of twisted ideas.

Venerable veterans are among those who know such ways as their experience allows them to look into the matter for they saw flickering words turning into sound reality fitting the purpose they strive for. What they don't know however, is a doubt. Numerous occasions demanded them to fight on different battlefields, following different rules. They taught their own minds to be flexible but always they kept their heart locked for everything but their chosen purposes they are called for. Vigil. Brotherhood. Defence. Defence of the Ancient ideals of Mankind.

And they shall answer the call, splitting their force into 5-men detachments accordingly to Combat Squads fielding rule to fit actual circumstances. Only time will tell where further adaptation to their role will bring them and what adversaries are yet to be encountered...

------------

Tl;dr: This is Deathwatch in DotA/DotA2 thread. I found it better to create it rather than turn the Survivers thread into one, which would be an off-topic. Feel free to post your thoughts and ideas here, it will be more productive than burying them in fluent medium such as Steam chat.

P.S. Ok, any ideas how to sweep that high-flown speech pattern from my head? Heck, I've just taken a pity for Matt Ward for the first time...

This post has been edited by Barrogh: Dec 19 2011, 21:37 PM

Game: Dawn of War 2

+
# 2Barrogh Dec 21 2011, 06:44 AM
Valve gives away guest passes with beta keys no more. That means that it will be harder to get in for those who isn't in yet.

+
# 3Snakeb1te Dec 21 2011, 17:20 PM
Haha very good for a Russian that claims to have bad english! Interesting how you've justified Deathwatch members playing DotA. Though as good as it is that you're trying to bring DotA to Deathwatch forums, I don't think its something you'll have much success at. Only me, Nanox and you post here, and the other active Deathwatch don't play this yet. Still, I guess it wouldn't be the first time a topic was made here where it would only be relevant to 2-3 people.

You'll be very lucky to even get to 5 Deathwatch, and even if we do its very difficult to organise 5 man teams these days when everyone is busy at different times, nevertheless this game is worth the effort so in the spirit of hope..

So far we have:

Myself
Nanox
Mafia_God (Hereafter known as Ash)
Barrogh (why do you have an arab from CnC:Generals as your avatar?)

Nanox has a friend by the name of Vuffy who also plays the beta, and I have 4-5 mates that I've carried over from DotA 1. They're all in the late night timezones though, so unless you want to stay up until 4.30am you won't be playing with them too much.

+
# 4Barrogh Jan 11 2012, 12:43 PM
Thanks.
Anyways, this thread may have some audience here.

A bit more on topic. I said that somewhere already, but I'll say it here, again:
If someone needs DotA2 BetA key, I can try to get it, just let me know.

Also a droplet of news: it seems that Silencer and Spiritbreaker are coming this week. Some people even believe that 6.73 changes will be transfered to DotA2 soon™.

Oh, almost forgot, 6.73c is out; GetDotA seems to work fine.

+
# 5Snakeb1te Jan 11 2012, 17:51 PM
QUOTE(Barrogh @ Jan 11 2012, 12:43 PM) *

Thanks.
Anyways, this thread may have some audience here.

A bit more on topic. I said that somewhere already, but I'll say it here, again:
If someone needs DotA2 BetA key, I can try to get it, just let me know.

Also a droplet of news: it seems that Silencer and Spiritbreaker are coming this week. Some people even believe that 6.73 changes will be transfered to DotA2 soon™.

Oh, almost forgot, 6.73c is out; GetDotA seems to work fine.

I don't think the changes will be implemented yet. There's quite a few new items and heroes, and nearly every hero was changed. It will be a little while until we see the changes.

I'm happy to see silencer though.

This post has been edited by Snakeb1te: Jan 11 2012, 17:51 PM

+
# 6Barrogh Jan 12 2012, 07:11 AM
Edit: NWM.
It seems that no 6.73 content is coming. There were rumors that patch will be delayed, but it seems it's fake and gay.

This post has been edited by Barrogh: Jan 12 2012, 07:17 AM

+
# 7Barrogh Jan 13 2012, 07:17 AM
Your favorite spammer is here again.
New update is out, it includes Silencer and Bara and also 6.73 changes were incorporated in DotA2 finally. 5 new items are included.

TBH it's a bit weird to se Bara's CoD without that fading out visual.
Silencer resembles DK now, hehe.

That's, basically, my first muddled impressions on new heroes' appearance.

+
# 8Destrux Jan 20 2012, 20:15 PM
I just decided that i'm gonna play DotA2 as well if i have time for it. The game looks very nice though i don't think that it's better than LoL - it's just a completely different game and a different feeling. I won't try out the beta first because atm i'm happy with LoL, and then when DotA2 comes out i'll just buy it and play it.

Edit: By "if i have time for it" i mean that in the near future will be so many new epic games like Diablo 3, Path of Exile, Guildwars 2, ... so yeah i think i have to quit LoL for a while then biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Destrux: Jan 20 2012, 20:22 PM

Clan: Deathwatch

Game: Soulstorm

+
# 9Barrogh Jan 23 2012, 18:34 PM
^ Well, looking forward to your arrival wink.gif
Seeing how DotA2 changes over these weeks, I can say that you'll probably join much more polished game that it is now. Every patch I see bug fixes, UI improvement and new heroes OFC (which is a big deal concerning balance).

+
# 10Barrogh Jan 30 2012, 17:31 PM
And here comes another doublepost.

Since I was asked to make a post about configs and console stuff, I decided to explain the basics in short and make a few examples (I'll try to attach files here).

So, first of all, you have to enable console. To do that, head to your Steam library and find Dota 2 there.
Right-cklick it and select Properties.
In the first "bookmark" you should press the Set launch properties button (names may vary depending on language your Steam client uses, I use Russian so I may be wrong about English name of that button, for example).
An entry field will appear. To activate console, write -console there (no additional symbols except that hyphen required).
Protip: you may add -novid there if you wish to disable that Valve intro video you see after launching the game.
No separation symbols required between commands save for space. So if you decided to input both of those listed by me, your string will look like this:
-console -novid

Now you'll see the console every time you launch the game. Console is toggled by "~" (or rather "`", you know what I mean) button as in most games (in all Valve games, that's for sure).

Next you should know how config files work.
Basically, every setting available to you in the game, every command and every action in the game have respective console command. Note that in DotA2 some commands and settings are anly available via console.

Examples of commands:
dota_ability_quick_cast "1" enables casting an ability on yourself by doubletapping respective hotkey. As you know, this setting is available in Options.
dota_force_right_click_attack "1"[b] enables forced attack command on right click (if you click on a target, obviously). Why do you need that? Now you can deny without pressing "A". Another option, but AFAIK it's unavailable in Options.
[b]dota_ability_execute 0
(note that you don't really need commas for values) stands for using the first ability of selected unit (like, Storm Hammer for Sven). It's the same as pressing respective hotkey (Q in default universal layout).
disconnect disconnects you from ongoing game.

So, you've got an idea.

Now, what is config file?

Config file is just a text file. When you "execute" it in the DotA2 console, it's the same as if you have typed its contents in the console (line skews stand for entering command - basically it's intuitive because both actions are performed with Enter).

So if you will create a text file called RQ.cfg (put this into Steam\SteamApps\common\dota 2 beta\dota\cfg folder, you won't have to type full path to it this way, this is default folder for config files) and it's contents will consist of 2 strings:
say_team "gg no re"
disconnect

and then will type in console (preferably during the game) exec RQ, you will say "gg no re" in team chat and leave from the game (what a useful macro I've just figured out, isn't it?).

It's not too handy to type exec RQ in console every time, so it's not useful. But we can design sequesce of actions we need as a function and bind that function to a hotkey.

How to do that?

We have an alias command that allow us to define a sequence of operations as a function known to a system under a name we desire.

That's how it's done:
alias "rage_quit" "say_team gg no re; disconnect"

Then just define a hotkey to call that function:
bind "leftarrow" "rage_quit"

Spoiler
You can directly bind a sequence of "normal" commands. Do as you wish, just remember that it's easier to navigate long code if you design typical sequences of commands into functions with comprehensive names; this way you can call it in every string you need without copypasting stuff. I'm explaining it just in case you'll create some long badass config for yourself.

So now you can just press left arrow if you aren't satisfied with the game, it'll do everything for you.

You don't have to program that every game ofc due to the fact that you have config file. Now it looks like this:

alias "rage_quit" "say_team gg no re; disconnect"
bind "leftarrow" "rage_quit"

So, with this file, if you type exec RQ you bind that ragequit sequence to left arrow and it's ready to be used.

Remember that every time you close DotA2 every single custom script is lost, so you have to exec (or set directly with basic commands) everything you need after you launch DotA2.

I believe you'll get everything now. I'll add two confic files here for you to use them (to play or as an example), put them into said folder to make using them easy for you.

NOTE
Change file extensions from txt to cfg. I had to change them in order to bypass restrictions of this forum!

autoexec.cfg
This enables this:
- Righ-click deny;
- Spell range finder (lame version of ability reach indicator, but that's all we have now);
- Quick casting on yourself by doubletapping (redundant since it's in options now);
- Shortcut "k" for a sequence of orders to courier: grab all items from your stash, bring them to you and then return to base; courier ability "dive" will be used if possible the moment you press k;
- Shortcuts "[" and "]" for enabling/disabling autoattack. Useful during laning, but note that this only applies after move order (so after casting ability or something like that you hero will autoattack without order, but won't after move order);
- Chat bindings for "miss top/mid/bot" and "re" lines (allies chat).

By editing "bind" lines in that file you can set your own keys for every "active" function in this config.

invoker.cfg
It's simple. If you don't like that charming game called "Magicka", you can use this.
You press the button and this script summons three orbs and invokes the spell you need (I wanted it to toggle "cast spell" button aswell, but script language is unable to call for ability that doesn't exist the moment you call the function, so you still have to press D and F (by default) keys to cast it).

Examples: to cast Ghost Walk press V then D. To cast Sun strike press T then D then point at location.

You can set your own hotkwy for every spell aswell. I've set it as they are set in DotA1, but I had to move Chaos Meteor and Forge Spirit from D and F to other keys to avoid conflicts with default bindings. As I've said, set whatever you wish for youself, just avoid conflicts or you're screwed.

That's all for now. Post here your questions if you'll have any smile.gif

P.S. Credits to Killsteal-Legends clan for introducing useful commands and basics of DotA2 scripting to me smile.gif

This post has been edited by Barrogh: Jan 30 2012, 17:37 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File autoexec.txt
Size: 1.09k
Number of downloads: 34
Attached File invoker.txt
Size: 1.37k
Number of downloads: 44

+
# 11Barrogh Feb 1 2012, 10:50 AM
So you guys were asking how to re-bind hotkeys in those scripts I've posted. I'll give a short answer and will explain it better later, if you wish.

So, my binds are set like this:

alias "[function]" "[algorithm]"
bind "[hotkey]" "[function]"

[function] is the name of the function that is supposed to be called. Its name is set by me (in the first string of this example I defined it). Later I must address it by that name.
[algorithm] is a string of formal console commands that are needed for the action or sequence of actions.
[hotkey] is a key that you wish to bind your function execution command to.

To change the hotkey I've set in those script files you should just change the key that is situated after bind operator. That's all.

Here's the example from invoker config file:

alias "cold_snap" "dota_ability_execute 0; dota_ability_execute 0; dota_ability_execute 0; dota_ability_execute 5"
bind "y" "cold_snap"

What does it mean, again?

alias "cold_snap" "dota_ability_execute 0; dota_ability_execute 0; dota_ability_execute 0; dota_ability_execute 5" - define cold_snap to be, well, an alias (literally) for a sequence of console commands that are:

dota_ability_execute 0; dota_ability_execute 0; dota_ability_execute 0; dota_ability_execute 5

This sequence does this:

1. Casts ability #1 (in programming numeration often starts from 0 instead of 1, that why 0 stands for the first ability);
2. Casts ability #1
3. Casts ability #1
4. Casts ability #6 (ulti)
So in case of Invoker it just summons 3 Quas orbs (ability #1 thrice) and then uses "Invoke" spell (ability #6) to invoke Cold snap spell.

bind "y" "cold_snap" sets y as a hotkey for cold_snap function that invokes Cold Snap spell for you. If you wish to invoke Cold Snap by pressing, for example, 1 rather than y, the just change that y into 1.

Now the original passage looks like this:

alias "cold_snap" "dota_ability_execute 0; dota_ability_execute 0; dota_ability_execute 0; dota_ability_execute 5"
bind "1" "cold_snap"

Again, avoid conflicts!
Hope that helps, have fun smile.gif

P.S. Should I set a techpriest engineseer pic as my avatar? wink.gif

This post has been edited by Barrogh: Feb 1 2012, 10:59 AM

+
# 12Destrux Feb 1 2012, 16:01 PM
Wow... that sounds really nice, im an CSS fan and im familiar with these console commands, i've never expected that DotA2 has a console as well <3

Thx for the info Barrogh wink.gif

Clan: Deathwatch

Game: Soulstorm

+
# 13Barrogh Feb 1 2012, 20:12 PM
^ No problem smile.gif
From what I've seen, people do not hestitate to use scripts.

Meanwhile, last week Valve informed that they are going to make some changes about the way they deliver new content into the game. I wonder, what does it mean...

Well, I guess we'll see that soon.

+
# 14Snakeb1te Feb 2 2012, 02:03 AM
Should I set a techpriest engineseer pic as my avatar?

Techmarine biggrin.gif

+
# 15Barrogh Feb 3 2012, 05:24 AM
QUOTE(Snakeb1te @ Feb 2 2012, 05:03 AM) *
Techmarine biggrin.gif

How could I not to think of that? biggrin.gif

OT: No content update today. Valve decided to split DotA2 into two instances: stable one that may be used for competitions and test one that will be something like "hardcore beta". Content from test build will be transferred into stable one with a delay, obviously. Also they expect to make an update in a few days though, but this may mean "next week", as usual.

Tl;dr.

This post has been edited by Barrogh: Feb 3 2012, 06:22 AM

+
# 16Snakeb1te Feb 3 2012, 07:59 AM
Which heroes are coming next?

Please be Centaur, or Tauren Warchief, or Thrall.

OH WAIT,

Techies plz

+
# 17Barrogh Feb 3 2012, 11:35 AM
From summarizing DotA2 wiki data, getting glitches in game and content of game files people learned that the "most ready" heroes are Atropos and Mortred, then Harbinger, Magnus, Gyro.

Maybe I missed something, dunno smile.gif

+
# 18Snakeb1te Feb 3 2012, 15:43 PM
oo atropos is needed, boring, but needed. Magnus is also needed to spice up the STR heroes roster.

Seriously want Centaur though fuck sake. Need him to smash all those hard carry fags.

+
# 19Barrogh Feb 4 2012, 21:35 PM
Yeah, cent is funny.
Meanwhile I've got an idea that "bug the courier" script command lacks allies chat announcement.

This gave me a thought: if you guys have some ideas about possible usefull scripts, post them here smile.gif

+
# 20Barrogh Feb 11 2012, 14:27 PM
Meanwhile, no update this week. Valve guys are busy with starting up servers and working on betaception thing (head to DotA2 Blog for details).

Meanwhile, a few good laughs. It's a WIP icons for DotA2 skills, used before visual artists made proper ones. Enjoy smile.gif

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)