Explore GameReplays...

Dawn of War 3

Micro in big fights?

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1KanKrusha May 27 2017, 19:38 PM
Hi

I am having a lot of trouble in big fights keeping track of my units and basically end up either having them all die or trying to pull them all out. I am used to DOW2 where I had each squad in a ctrl-group and could cycle between them but in this game I have multiple squads on groups and the tabbing is not so user friendly.

Part of the problem is being overwhelmed but if there was a practical way to improve my play I am sure that would also
Make me feel less swamped.

So, what do you watch or use in a big fight? Is it the cards down the bottom? Or are you mouse selecting? Also, I have just learned about map panning with the middle mouse button but haven't yet figured out how to incorporate that.

Thanks for any tips or tricks

Game: Dawn of War 3

+
# 2Dullahan May 29 2017, 23:00 PM
I use the unit cards to find low health squads and click on them manually. I control group some squads too but not too many.

Game: Dawn of War 2

+
# 3Paranoid Kamikaze May 31 2017, 03:02 AM
I put things in formation and then a-move them. From there I use whatever abilities I can in a basic form and focus on pulling units out that are low on health from the cards on the bottom. I control group things heavily and have it as:

1: Medium Range
2: Close Range
3: Far Range
4: Harassment. Well, Landspeeders.
5: Other vehicles
6: Workers
F1-F3: Elites. I put the F buttons on my MMO mouse so it's easy for me to press.

Uploaded a screenshot. It's a shot from my replay so it doesn't show my control groups.

Attached Image

+
# 4Gorb Jun 1 2017, 15:10 PM
QUOTE(Paranoid Kamikaze @ May 31 2017, 04:02 AM) *

I put things in formation and then a-move them. From there I use whatever abilities I can in a basic form and focus on pulling units out that are low on health from the cards on the bottom. I control group things heavily and have it as:

1: Medium Range
2: Close Range
3: Far Range
4: Harassment. Well, Landspeeders.
5: Other vehicles
6: Workers
F1-F3: Elites. I put the F buttons on my MMO mouse so it's easy for me to press.

Uploaded a screenshot. It's a shot from my replay so it doesn't show my control groups.

Attached Image

This is similar to how I've started organising it too, though sometimes I swap out "range" groups for damage "types" (anti-infantry together, anti-vehicle together, anti-all together).

+
# 5KanKrusha Jun 1 2017, 20:24 PM
Wow, I am impressed that works. Must try it. It's a bit like total war formation.

Thanks for the tips on unit cards; that is helping me deal with the overwhelm.

My major problem seems to be lack of anticipation and squad positioning (I get too close so my squads get hit with some free shots on approach and then are too close to escape melee).

+
# 6Paranoid Kamikaze Jun 3 2017, 00:41 AM
The problem with formations is that they only work on units spread out by range and unit speed is a factor. When you issue a move order all units will converge at that point as opposed to staying apart in width and advancing. Results in them being clumped together.

+
# 7NNank Jun 7 2017, 08:39 AM
Is there a way you can build units that come out automatically part of the control group? Or with a key assigned automatically?

Game: Achron

+
# 8Spell Jun 8 2017, 08:45 AM
QUOTE(NNank @ Jun 7 2017, 10:39 AM) *

Is there a way you can build units that come out automatically part of the control group? Or with a key assigned automatically?

Don't think so

Clan: electronic yakuza

+
# 9Paranoid Kamikaze Jun 10 2017, 18:03 PM
QUOTE(NNank @ Jun 7 2017, 01:39 AM) *

Nope. I just hit a control group already with units in it press shift on the unit card I wanted in and assign it to the control group. Not much work since armies aren't too big.

+
# 10Thunderhost Jun 16 2017, 21:33 PM
Also be advised that unit abilities can be autocast by doubleclicking them.

Game: None

+
# 11HARRYY Jul 25 2017, 16:50 PM
I use the stop command quite often to avoid further movements (receive damage, or expose to melee quicker) or to attack faster instead. once you're a bit comfortable with ranges etc. its getting more and more bread & butter.

btw I use a wsad for camera panning, and all the hotkeys re-mapped around thise 4 keys.

+

2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)