Explore GameReplays...

Battle for Middle Earth 2

Read Before Posting: BFME II Tech Support FAQ

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1Raistlin Majere Jan 6 2008, 11:25 AM
Collected tips and hints for tweaking BfME2 settings and solving problems, note that I'm not the writer of these tips and all credit for them should go to the person mentioned.

Section 1, solving problems with the gameSection 2, tweaks and programs for better gaming experience
Problems with GameRanger? GameRanger Help Center

This post has been edited by Forlong: Feb 21 2011, 04:35 AM

Clan: The Holy and the Damned

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 2Raistlin Majere Jan 6 2008, 11:43 AM
1.1, A general overview of errors, components, fixes
original topic by Elegy

This is a massive compliation of tech support articles and quotes. Use CTRL + F to find something specific. (e.g. finding drivers, choosing good components, etc.)

Many problems are often posted here, and many of them are similar. First, when posting a problem, please post full system specs by following these instructions:

Watching replays

Place the replay file in the folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\My Battle for Middle-earth™ II Files\Replays

In order to be able to view application data folder,

Go to:

My computer, tools, folder options, view, select

Please note that usually the replays folder is created after your first online game but you can as well create it yourself as the folder name is exactly "Replays".

Video Cards

Cards you can expect to run the game, but only at low settings and resolutions:

Geforce 3 Ti
Geforce 4 Ti
Geforce FX5200/5500/5600XT/5700LE
Geforce 6200A/6200 "Turbocache"

Radeon 8500
Radeon 9200SE/9200/9250/9600SE/9550
Radeon X300SE/X300 "Hypermemory"
Radeon Xpress200
Radeon X2400

Cards that might be able to run the game at decent settings and resolutions:
Geforce FX5600/5700/5600 Ultra/5700 Ultra
Geforce 6200/6600LE
Geforce 8500 series

Radeon 9550/9600/9600 Pro/9600XT/9800SE
Radeon X300/X300PE/X550/X600 Pro/X600XT/X700SE

Cards that should be able to run the game at pretty high settings:
Geforce 5800/5900ZT/5900XT/5900/5900 Ultra/5950 Ultra
Geforce 6600/6600PE/6600GT/6800LE
Geforce 7600 and 8600 series

Radeon 9800/9800 Pro/9800XT
Radeon X700/X700 Pro/X700XT/X800
Radeon x1600 and x2600

Cards that should be able to run the game with all settings on high and than some!
Geforce 6800/6800GT/6800 Ultra/7800GTX
All SLI systems
Geforce 8800 series

Radeon X800 Pro/X800XL/X800XT/X850XT
All Crossfire systems
Radeon X1800, X1900, X2900 and everything above

Processors

CPUs that are pretty much hopeless:
Intel Pentium III or earlier
Intel Celerons clocking at less than 1.2GHz (I'm unfamiliar with earlier Celerons - do these even exist?)

AMD Duron

CPUs that should be able to run, but not well:
Intel Celeron (Note: all recent low-end Intel CPUs are Celerons. The ones I'm talking about are less than 4 years old, and runs on the Pentium 4 core.)

AMD Athlon

CPUs that probably won't run VERY well, but will run ok:
Intel Pentium 4 1.5GHz-2GHz
Intel Celeron 2.4GHz
Intel Pentium M ~1.1Ghz
Intel Celeron M ~1.2GHz

AMD Athlon XP 2400+ or lower
AMD Sempron 2200+

CPUs that shouldn't have problems:
Intel Pentium 4 2.0GHz - 2.66GHz
Intel Celeron 2.4Ghz - 2.8GHz
Intel Pentium M 1.2Ghz - 1.6GHz

AMD Athlon XP 2500+ - 3000+
AMD Sempron 2400+ - 2800+
AMD Athlon 64 3000+

Ideal CPUs:
Intel Pentium 4 2.8GHz or above
Intel Pentium M 1.6GHz or above
Intel Pentium EE or better
Any Core 2 Duos practically

AMD Athlon XP 3200+
AMD Sempron 3100+
AMD Athlon 64 (any model)
AMD Athlon FX series or better
AMD Opterons and X2s

RAM

Even those among us who are not fortunate enough to be nerds know that RAM is important. Without sufficient RAM, frame rates and response speed will drop, while loading times will soar. While it probably has less of an effect that the graphics card on the frame rate, even having a top graphics card won't help you run the game if you only have 128MB.

The minimum requirements for BFME called for 256MB system memory. BFME2 will probably require twice of that - if you are lucky. Even if the minimum specs are put at 256MB, running with 256 or even 512MB would result in long loading times and performance that can hardly be called acceptable. A clean Windows XP SP2 system easily takes up 300MB of system memory without the additional help of programs eating RAM, and systems with 256MB RAM are highly unlikely to run any modern games.

I would count on 512MB up to 1 or 2 gigs.

Power Supply Unit (PSU)

A component often overlooked, the PSU is vital to your system. It provides power for your components and if you have power hungry components you need good PSU. For low end systems something like 300-400 watts is okish but I'd myself take 500w as it won't spend too much power and is capable of giving more if needed. For top end systems a powerful PSU is an absolute must.

Common Problems

Many problems are shared by many people. The following is a list of common problems that can be fixed. However, please remember that you should your computer against the minimum specs by running a dxdiag, outlined in the beginning of this article.

1) No skins, weird video glitches. This can often be solved by updatind your video card's drivers. Also, this can be caused by your videocard or CPU overheating.

2) Game crashes suddenly. This can often be solved by updating your video card's drivers, checking to see if your videocard is supported, and by seeing if your monitor is having any connection issues (this would be things that you could see out of game, as well.) Also, this can be fixed by checking to see if your videocard or CPU is overheating.

3) Game won't load/install. If the game simply won't install, this could be a sign of your CD-ROM or the disk itself might be scratched. If the game won't load and freezes, you should check your videocard's drivers as well as making sure you have sufficent RAM.

4) Game.dat error. Often caused by unsupported videocard, insufficent memory RAM on the graphics card, or not enough system RAM. Also corrupted game files can be the cause of this.

5) Connection issues online/LAN. This is a problem that may be fixed by checking your router for any problems, wireless card (if applicable) may be broken/dying. I noticed that some people have problems with LAN where it says one person has disconnected. This could be due to an error with the computer or router.

6) Autorun won't work (e.g. nothing happens, or I get an error.) These problems can be caused by having autorun disabled on your computer.

If for some reason AutoRun doesn't work, do this: Go to Start, settings, control panel., system, device manager and make sure view devices by type is selected.

Double-click the CD-ROM line and note how it produces a new line underneath. This new line describes the type of CD-ROM you have. Double-click that new line and you should see the CD-ROM properties window.

Select the settings tab and look for a checkbox labeled auto insert notification. To enable AutoRun, check this box, click OK twice until prompted to restart your PC, then do so. AutoRun is now enabled.

Common and Easy Fixes

The vast majority of errors are caused by insufficent system specs, corrupted installs, outdated drivers, overheating, and bugs. Common fixes include:

1) Update your videocard's drivers by going to the maker's website and downloading the drivers.
2) Check to see if your system meets required specs by running a dxdiag and comparing results.
3) Check to see if your computer is overheating or has an outdated PSU. Overheating and power issues can be averted by installing more/better case fans, heatsinks, and cooling options. A good PSU is also vital to your system
4) Always download the latest patch for the game.
5) If the game worked for a while and then started acting weird, try reinstalling it (clean reinstallation and manual removal instructions later on in this guide).
6) Try setting graphics detail to low. This helps older cards handle the strain. Also, some bugs and glitches in drivers may only allow playable frames at this setting.

And lastly, post in the Tech Support area if you have any problems or need advice.

Optimizing system performance

Some generic tips on squeezin' a bit more outta your current windows XP setup.

- Disable last sccess timestamp

Windows writes to files the last time it was accessed and plenty of other silly things

from the dos command prompt type "FSUTIL behavior set disablelastaccess 1" to disable,
and "FSUTIL behavior set disablelastaccess 0" to enable.

Bland XP is gaming friendly. This really boosts you gaming performance, especially on lower end systems, personally I really hate the lego brick XP themes and don't really mind turnin all that nonesence off in favour of an old skool style.

- Right click the desktop and select properties.
- In the dropdown box for theme select windows classic and apply the change

Next disable the really "cool" xp effects, I personally don't notice any of these effects save a few, you yourself be the can be the judge tho;

- Right click my computer and go into properties
- Find The "advanced" tab, then get to "setting" found within performance
- Set XP to "best performance" and then apply
- To fix your desktop icons check "use drop shadows" and also "smooth edges of screen fonts" in the list of effects, and apply any other effects you really wanna keep.

XP's indexing service

"Indexes contents and properties of files on local and remote computers; provides rapid access to files through flexible querying language."

http://www.theeldergeek.com/indexing_service.htm

In real words: big files slow your puter down

To disable the indexing service;

- Start, run, type "services.msc", hit enter
- Find indexing service in the list of service, double click
- Change the startup type to manual and apply
- Click the stop button, click OK

As always use caution with these tweaks, rest assured tho these will positvely impact your machines performance and you will squeeze a little more outta it yet

In addition, programs like CCleaner can help to keep your computer clean and zippy.

Allowing BfME2 to access Internet

It may not be a good idea to completely turn off a firewall.

To add BFME2 to the firewall exception list, go to start, settings, control panel, and find the windows firewall icon. Go over to the excptions tab, put a check next to Battle for Middle Earth 2 if it isn't there already, and click OK.

Your firewall will now allow BFME2.

Keep your windows up-to-date

Remember to do frequent Windows updates.

Game.dat errors

This is caused by several things.

1) Unsupported hardware (e.g. videocard isn't powerful enough, CPU doesn't support SSE)
2) Bug in the game (will be fixed in next patch) or corrupted game files.

Can be possibly fixed by updating your videocard's drivers, or downloading the latest patch when it comes out. Or by reinstalling the game.

Virtual Memory

If you are low on virtual memory or pagefile, do this:

1) my computer
2) right click, properites
3) advanced
4) performance-settings
5) advanced tab
6) virtual memory-change
7) set to max possible value
8) click set and OK back to Windows

Automatic error reporting

Stop automatic ‘"error reporting"

Open System in the Control Panel (or right-click on the My Computer icon and select Properties. Choose the Advanced tab, and click Error Reporting. You can disable error reporting entirely here, or enable it selectively for certain programs. Click Ok when you're done.

Stop useless startup programs

Stop useless programs from autostarting during boot

Click: Start > Run > msconfig

At the 'Start' tab, you can toogle the useless programs that you don't want to automatically start during booting. This might save you a few seconds when restarting your computer and save a lot of RAM from being occupied.

This post has been edited by Raist: May 14 2008, 13:24 PM

+
# 3Raistlin Majere Jan 6 2008, 11:54 AM
1.2, Solving connection and router problems
original topic by Species8472

DISABLING FIREWALL CAN HAVE INSTANT EFFECT ON CONNECTIVITY, BUT MAKE SURE YOU SWITCH IT ON AFTER THE GAME IF YOU DON'T HAVE ANOTHER ONE PROTECTING YOUR COMPUTER

Router problems are very common, fortunately BFME2 has an in-built system to prevent starting games with players that cannot connect, coz the game wont start if you cannot connect.

To fix the connections issue you must have roughly these things to do:
- Configure your firewall, add the program that you want to give access to the internet (game.dat)
- Choose a port (UDP 8088-65535) and add that in BFME2. In the options>settings menu in the box of port number.
- Configure your router, by adding the port in "port forwarding", "open ports" or "virtual server" (it is all the same)
- Set in your router screen DMZ-host on enabled and add the local IP-address of your own computer (only if it is possible)

That should do the job smile.gif

The following guides can helo you with configuring your firewall and router, it is with another program, but it goes still the same way:Detailed Explanation:

The key for the connection problems is the router if you have one.
First you should choose a port to play a game, I use 27901, but it can be any port between 2800 and 28000.
In your firewall you should give the program permissions to access the internet etc. After that you must open a port on your router and fill in the open port in the bfme2 options menu.

Getting in the router page:

To get to the router page, you must first know the router IP-address, then you can open a port.
  1. Click Start
  2. Click Run...
  3. Type cmd (windows screen will pop-up)
  4. Type ipconfig in command prompt (the thing that popped)
  5. Try finding standard Gateway/Router IP address (this can be lots of things, my gateway is 192.168.1.1, some have 10.0.0.1 etc.)
  6. Go to your internet browser and type your gateway ip in the search bar just like you type www.bfme.org
  7. Try finding NAT configuration
  8. Open the ports in UDP on your netwerk ip, if it is not shown then just ignore the term UDP or look for a menu called Virtual Servers, check your router book what you have to do, if you see something like Service ports, open port 27901 by filling it in the designated box, enable it and press save and exit, reboot your router if it is asked.
Virtual Server -> Open ports

Attached Image

When your ethernet isn't working anymore then you can do two things

1. Reboot your router
2. Call the manufacturer

If you still don't get into your router settings then call the manufacturer of the router.

If the virtual Server doesnt work, you should enable the DMZ host, use the right LAN-IP for your own computer if there are more computers in your network.

Attached Image

Checking if the required ports are opened

The ports to be opened are

6667 (IRC)
3783 (Voice Chat Port)
27900 (Master Server UDP Heartbeat)
28900 (Master Server List Request)
29900 (GP Connection Manager)
29901 (GP Search Manager)
13139 (Custom UDP Pings)
6515 (Dplay UDP)
6500 (Query Port)

EA suggest opening the whole port range.

The Lord of the Rings, The Battle for Middle-earth II uses the following ports for online play.

UDP 8088-65535

As the game will attempt to use any of the specific ports in that range, please make sure your router/firewall is configured to allow traffic across those ports. For more information, please see your router/firewall manual or contact the manufacturer.

You need to be sure that the required ports ARE actually open. Download Portdetective

http://www.portdetective.com/

Make sure you add Portdetective to any software firewall allow list

Run it up and deselect all the listed ports. Add the ports listed above, plus the port you have put in the game menu one at a time into the Portdetective add port menu. Run the test to see if the port is open.

You can also use these online port scanners:
http://www.speedguide.net/scan.php
http://www.auditmypc.com/freescan/selscan.asp?S=2060

If you still have any kind of connection problem contact your ISP to ask what ports they block, if any.

This post has been edited by Thread cat: Jun 9 2008, 05:38 AM

+
# 4Raistlin Majere Jan 6 2008, 11:57 AM
1.3, DVD issues

For every Technical problem you should check the Official EA Technical Support first.

Posted by Drogoth the Dragon Lord
  1. Insert the Bonus Disc.
  2. If it loads, then try the Game Disc again.
  3. If it doesn't load correctly, go to My Computer and double-click on the DVD drive (Drive D:). The material should load then (for me in Window Media).
  4. Remove the Bonus Disc. Put the Game Disc back in. It should load correctly now.

Species additions:

I dont know whether this will work, but I give it a try, give me a reply whether it works.

First you should close all Windows and all programs in the system tray. Not everything is necessary, but just to be sure.
Put the DVD again in your DVD player and see if it works. There is somewhere an option to save the index of a DVD, that index should be refreshed somehow, that can be done if you restart your computer.

To look whether automatic play works, you should click on My Computer and right-click on the DVD drive on Properties. Click on the second tab (probably AutoRun or Automatic Play) and set for everything your preference, this should solve the automatic play problem.

Maybe is the region a problem. Click on the tab hardware, click on the DVD drive and properties and set the right DVD region according to the DVD. But this shouldnt be a problem with DVD games I think.

This post has been edited by Raist: Jan 6 2008, 13:30 PM

+
# 5Raistlin Majere Jan 6 2008, 12:00 PM
1.4, How to recover lost serials
original topic by keyd

keyd
  1. Go to www.EA.com
  2. Click on 'Get into the EA nation' in the upper right hand corner. (If you do not live in the US, you need to select "USA" as your country of residence on the loading screen, "UK" does not have the "get into nation" feature.)
  3. You will get a pop-up window. Log in with your user name and password from BFME2.
  4. You will now see your user name in the upper right hand corner where 'log-in' was previously.
  5. Click on your user name in the upper right.
  6. A drop-down menu will appear: 'Nation Tools'
  7. Under 'Nation Tools' click on 'My Account'
  8. You will be taken to a new page where you will have to re-enter your password.
  9. Click on the 'My Games' tab on the right.
  10. You should see any EA games you have registered under that user name along with the serial number.

Rainmaker

A second option that requires no EA in any way, recovering your serial before the uninstallation of the game:
(tested for Win XP Home, don't know for sure about Vista)
  1. Go to Start menu
  2. Hit "Run..."
  3. In the box write "regedit" and hit "OK"
  4. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Electronic Arts\Electronic Arts\The Battle for Middle-earth II\ergc
  5. There SHOULD be a key that contains data. This data is your serial key for the game, but in without the dashes. The real serial is in letter groups of 4, so it'll be like xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx

I warn that you SHOULD NOT edit anything in the registery editor unless you're completely certain of what you're doing. It may cause serious problems with your machine!

This post has been edited by Raist: Jan 6 2008, 13:27 PM

+
# 6Raistlin Majere Jan 6 2008, 12:05 PM
1.5, Clean BfME2 reinstallation
original topic by Raist

Clean reinstallation

Things you should haveSteps
  1. make sure you have CCleaner installed
  2. remove the program with CCleaner's remove programs or with Window's add/remove program
  3. clean your registry with CCleaner registry cleaner
  4. clean your comp with the CCleaner's clean comp option
  5. make sure BfME2 folder and related files are gone by going to your install directory (usually C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Battle for Middle-earth ™ II)
  6. reboot your computer
  7. install the game again
  8. update to latest version, you can do this with the game's updater or by downloading from eg. Filefront
  9. if you have any probs post here! smile.gif

Manual removal instructions by EA

If the Uninstall program available through the Start menu for uninstalling The Lord of the Rings, The Battle for Middle-earth II does not work, a manual uninstall may be needed. Follow these steps.

Delete the game folders.
  1. Click on the Start button.
  2. Click on the Run button.
  3. Type C:\Program Files\ELECTRONIC ARTS into the text field, and press OK.
  4. Note : If you changed the install path for the game during the initial installation, you will need to type that into the text field in lieu of the previous path.
  5. Right-click on the The Battle for Middle-earth ™ II folder and select Delete.
  6. When prompted if you are sure, select Yes.
  7. Once deleted, click on the Start button.
  8. Click on All Programs.
  9. Click on the ELECTRONIC ARTS folder.
  10. Right-click on the The Battle for Middle-earth ™ II folder and select Delete.
  11. When prompted if you are sure, select Yes.
Delete the game registry keys.
Warning: Incorrect changes to the registry can cause your computer to operate improperly, so please follow these instructions exactly as they are written.

Follow these steps to back-up the registry so that should something go wrong, you can restore your system back to a working state:
  2. Click on Run.
  3. Type regedit into the available text field, and press OK.
  4. Check All under Export Range.
  5. Type registry_archive into the File name field, and click Save.
  6. Close the Registry Editor by clicking on the X in the top right corner of the window.

Follow these steps to remove the game registry keys from your system. (instructions referencing an expansion you do not own should be ignored):
  2. Click on Run.
  3. Type regedit into the available text field, and press OK.
  4. Double-click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
  5. Double-click on SOFTWARE.
  6. Double-click on ELECTRONIC ARTS.
  7. Right-click on the Battle for Middle-Earth II folder and select Delete.
  8. When prompted if you are sure, select Yes.
  9. Click on the minus sign next to ELECTRONIC ARTS.
  10. Double-click on Microsoft.
  11. Double-click on Windows.
  12. Double-click on CurrentVersion.
  13. Double-click on Uninstall.
  14. Right-click on the {2A9F95AB-65A3-432c-8631-B8BC5BF7477A} folder, and select Delete.
  15. When prompted if you are sure, select Yes.
  16. Close the Registry Editor by clicking on the X in the top right corner of the window.

This post has been edited by Raist: Jan 6 2008, 13:23 PM

+
# 7Raistlin Majere Jan 6 2008, 12:18 PM
2.1, Widescreen support
original topic by Gnug315

As stated in the readme under Command Line Parameters, one can force BfME2 to use any resolution:
  1. Go to the location of the game's executable. This is typically found in C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Battle for Middle-earth™ II\lotrbfme2.exe.
  2. Right-click on the lotrbfme2.exe icon and select "Create Shortcut".
  3. This will create a shortcut of the executable within the same folder. This will typically be called "Shortcut to bfme2.exe".
  4. Right-click on this new shortcut and select "Properties".
  5. Add a space to the end of the string in the "Target:" field, followed by a "-" and then the command line parameter.
  6. -xres (Forces the game to a specific horizontal resolution)
  7. -yres (Forces the game to a specific vertical resolution)
In my case: "C:\games\The Battle for Middle-earth ™ II\lotrbfme2.exe" -xres 1280 -yres 1024

This post has been edited by Raist: Jan 6 2008, 13:23 PM

+
# 8Raistlin Majere Jan 6 2008, 12:20 PM
2.2, Fast BfME2 startup

This makes BFME2 startup much faster.

First edit your BFME2 icon. Right click on it and on properties.
Add at the end of the line in the "Target" box: -noshellmap
It should be like this:
"C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Battle for Middle-earth ™ II\lotrbfme2.exe" -noshellmap

This causes a silent screen in your main menu, so no movie of the Argonath.

Go to the BFME2 movie folder in My Computer or Windows Explorer:
"C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Battle for Middle-earth ™ II\data\movies"

Remove or rename the following files for a faster startup (it doesnt load the movies):
  • EALogo.vp6
  • NLC_LOGO.vp6
  • TE_LOGO.vp6
  • CS01.vp6
You can remove more movies to save space, but some movies are needed to keep the game running.

This post has been edited by Raist: Jan 6 2008, 13:24 PM

+
# 9Raistlin Majere Jan 6 2008, 12:22 PM
2.3, Using alternate mouse setup

BFME2 does not have a toolbox for alternate mouse setup, but you can still use it if you edit in an ini file.
Make sure you open ini files with notepad or other standard text editor.

With alternative mouse setup, you use left click for select and attack and right click to cancel.

The file is located in: C:\Documents and Settings\#USER#\Application Data\My Battle for Middle Earth Files 2
Click on "options.ini" and add this line:

AlternateMouseSetup = yes

The sentences are in alphabetical order, so normally you should add it on line 2.

Note: AlternateMouseSetup = Yes is wrong, so is alternatemousesetup = yes. It must be exactly like it is written.

This post has been edited by Raist: Jan 6 2008, 12:30 PM

+
# 10Raistlin Majere Jan 6 2008, 12:31 PM
2.4, Replay manager
original topic by Elven

What is RepInfo?

RepInfo is a new tool, designed for the C&C Generals, C&C Generals Zero Hour and Battle For Middle Earth 2 games. This program shows you a lot of information about the players in the game, like what army they were and what colour they had etc. That isn't the most important thing of this program. RepInfo shows you all known cheaters! It gives you a warning sound when it detects a cheater in a replay. This system is based on the UID of the other players. On this way we can be 100% certain that it is the same person. Sometimes it can be a brother or sister, but you can't prove that, so we count it down as 1 person.

The program has a special made 'whois' button, with that button you can check where a player comes from. The person itself is being tracked down with his IP address.

RepInfo also has a handy search system. You can easily search on these things:
  • By faction (what army they used)
  • By UID
  • By player name
  • By rating (what rating that the replay is given)
  • By game type (what kind of game it was, a 1v1, 2v2 etc.)
  • By basic game (just between the games CCG, ZH and BFME 2)

The database puts in automatically the players that you just have fought. On that way your database will get bigger, so you can see more different people and more different names of them. There is a maphack list in the database. This list will be updated when a new mh'er is found. The special list is for you to make. There you can add people that you don't like or a person that uses cheats like the scudbug in ZH.

Now we come to the last part of RepInfo. It's called R.A.S.E., this friendly user interface part of RepInfo saves replays automatically when it is turned on! That can be very handy when you forgot to save a replay. With R.A.S.E. you never have to save replays by yourself again. You can also enable the feature "Save by Request". It asks you to save a replay and gives you 30 sec . During that time he can save replay, using predefined Global Hotkey directly from the game without switch to back the RepInfo window.

Thanks to Saurman for creating this useful tool smile.gif

Click here to download RepInfo.

If you need more info on how to use it, here's Saurman's official site which talks all about what RepInfo does and how to work it.

This post has been edited by Raist: Jan 6 2008, 13:02 PM

+
# 11Raistlin Majere Jan 6 2008, 12:32 PM
2.5, Multiversion
original topic by -Netput

Multiversion is a tool for switching between patches, you can use any old patch with it.

Make sure to have your serial before doing any of these.
  1. download the multiversion v1.06
  2. extract the files to a location you can easily find them.
  3. uninstall BFME2
  4. reinstall BFME2
  5. download patch 1.02, you can download the the English 1.02 patch here or the
    German 1.02 patch here
  6. to install the 1.02 patches, extract the .exe file, then run the .exe file
  7. after installing the 1.02 patch, Start the Multiversion
  8. click on 0001002 -> click on 'back up 0001002' (if you did it correct, it will be confirmed that there are 21 files backed up)
  9. download patch 1.04, you can download the the English 1.04 patch here or the
    German 1.04 patch here
  10. to install the 1.04 patches, extract the .exe file, then run the .exe file
  11. after installing the 1.04 patch, Start the Multiversion
  12. click on 0001004 -> click on 'back up 0001004'
  13. close the multiversion -> Start BFME2 -> go online and update to version 1.06
  14. when updated to 1.06, run the multiversion again
  15. in the multiversion, click on 0001006 -> click on 'back up 0001006' and you're done
You can switch between the patches now by clicking on the desired patch and then switch to version 00010002 (or 00010004 when your on version 1.02).

This post has been edited by Raist: Jan 6 2008, 13:48 PM

+
# 12Forlong Dec 29 2010, 02:11 AM
A few people have posted that they're having problems with the launcher enabling and disabling the game. Specifically the in-game text not changing when they disable the game. It's disappointing if the easy patch switcher doesn't work, but if this is happening to you, don't worry, you can still play both versions of the game! All you'll need to do is find your BFME II base directory. This is the location to which you installed the game. Once you've located this directory (typically C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Lord of the Rings, The Battle for Middle-earth II), you're ready to manually enable/disable the patch.

In your base BFME II directory, you'll see many different files. The ones you're concerned with start with "_BT2DC." These files contains the bulk of the patch. Without them, you can't play BT2:DC. If one of these files has the .big extension, that means it's enabled. If multiple _BT2DC files are enabled at the same time, you've done something wrong: only enable one. If you want to play 1.06, disable them all. To disable a _BT2DC file, you'll need to change its file extension from .big to .bac (or .disabled, if you prefer). Once you've done this, the game will no longer see them and most of the patch will be disabled.

Can't See File Extensions?
If you disable the display of file extensions by default, you'll have to change that to manually enable or disable BT2:DC. Find Folder and Search Options, then on the View tab, uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types" under the Advanced Options panel.

Your BT2:DC language file, however, is still active. This is a cosmetic issue and won't affect the game play in any way, but it's nice when the in-game text matches the version of the game you're playing. To find this file, open the "lang" folder in your base directory. For some asinine reason, BT2:DC names its language file the same as 1.05, and disables the old one, so it's not as simple a matter to disable the BT2:DC language file as it is to disable the patch itself. englishpatch105.bac with a date of August 30, 2006 is the 1.05 language file. To switch back to 1.06, disable any language files with a newer date (they would be installed by BT2:DC), and enable this file. To switch back to BT2:DC, perform the reverse operation.

Now, should you find yourself yearning for balance when playing 1.06, you can enable the patch manually just as easily as you disabled it. Simply revert the file extension and the next time you start the game you'll be able to enjoy BT2:DC again.

Game: Rise of the Witch King

+
# 13Mal Perdedor Feb 1 2018, 22:56 PM
QUOTE(Raist @ Jan 6 2008, 12:18 PM) *

2.1, Widescreen support
original topic by Gnug315

As stated in the readme under Command Line Parameters, one can force BfME2 to use any resolution:
  1. Go to the location of the game's executable. This is typically found in C:\Program Files\Electronic Arts\The Battle for Middle-earth™ II\lotrbfme2.exe.
  2. Right-click on the lotrbfme2.exe icon and select "Create Shortcut".
  3. This will create a shortcut of the executable within the same folder. This will typically be called "Shortcut to bfme2.exe".
  4. Right-click on this new shortcut and select "Properties".
  5. Add a space to the end of the string in the "Target:" field, followed by a "-" and then the command line parameter.
  6. -xres (Forces the game to a specific horizontal resolution)
  7. -yres (Forces the game to a specific vertical resolution)
In my case: "C:\games\The Battle for Middle-earth ™ II\lotrbfme2.exe" -xres 1280 -yres 1024

Hi, I was playing Bftmh 2 at 1.06patch every day. but now ive download the 1.09 and it gives me a annoying error:

The layout seems like stretched to the top nd bottom of the screen (mi screen size is 1280x1024). The game runs perfect, but i dont like to play like this. I can check out it when run into start tutorial. i can see the tutorial's intro ratio in 1280x720... its just normal, cause playing 1.06, when intro arrives to start playing, it adjust perfect. but playing 1.09 i can see how it stretchs to top and bot.

I try everything in the forums, even i find a guy with the same problem jaja https://www.gamereplays.org/community/index...owtopic=1000870

But i found a download link wich could be the solution. See the link https://www.gamereplays.org/community/index...howtopic=994540

There says:
"Standard resolution (4:3 ratio) camera patcher
Simply place the file in BfME 2 directory
StandardRatio"

OK but this link doesnt work. Can someone upload again it? or just splain me how it works and if i can make it for my own pls!!

Thanks!! smile.gif

+

2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)