Explore GameReplays...

Company of Heroes

Smurfs

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1Collosis Jan 3 2012, 16:22 PM
The last few days in particular I've been fighting lots of smurfs (high level players playing on accounts where they are between level 4 and 9). I find it very offputting for COH, since if it's obvious that I won't stand a chance against an opponent then why bother?

My first question is what is your experience of playing smurfs (or smurfing)? It annoys me too when I used to play a lot more and got up to level 12 in 1v1 autos, only to play someone who was about my standard but mascarading as a level 1. If I narrowly won, I gained almost nothing in the rankings, 'cos they are deemed to be a noob. If I narrowly lost I tumbled miles down the rank tables.

Also, what are ways to deal with smurfs? So far my approach has generally been to make the point to them over chat that they are just making the game dull and demoralising. After that, if I've seen that they are clearly better than me and going to win, I just take all my forces, plonk them in my base and alt tab to do something else. It's a shame I can't play but at least it's a boring 15 minutes for them: building up forces to base rush an enemy who doesn't even put up a fight or react, all the while capping the VPs to wait for the clock to trudgingly count down.

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 2Tommy. Jan 4 2012, 09:27 AM
Anyone who makes more than one account/remakes their account more than once to play automatch will technically be 'smurfing'. It's not like most of them are maliciously out to get the noobs to bring their low rank down even further or something.
Besides, the system is supposed to (don't know whether it's 100% effective) to match smurfs with opponents equivalent to their highest level on *any* profile. Although of course, if you still lose, then you'll lose a fair bit of ranking.

But I dunno, never really thought much about it tbh, maybe just take it as a learning experience? Certainly you haven't got a leg to stand on if you're making a pretty tenuous point about how smurfs are 'demolarizing' and making the game 'boring' yet you go out of your way to make it boring for them.

Clan: Wheres My Demo

Game: Company of Heroes 2

+
# 3Collosis Jan 4 2012, 15:24 PM
Certainly you haven't got a leg to stand on if you're making a pretty tenuous point about how smurfs are 'demolarizing' and making the game 'boring' yet you go out of your way to make it boring for them.

Fight fire with fire! wink.gif
It's only because I feel that if they are going to purposely match themselves against weaker opponents for an easy win, they should see how it feels to play a boring, one sided match.

the system is supposed to (don't know whether it's 100% effective) to match smurfs with opponents equivalent to their highest level on *any* profile.

I actually made a smurf account a few weeks ago just to see how effective that system is. My top rated account has been at lvl 11 in autos for a while, but on my smurf account I was often pitted again very low level players (8 and below). To avoid hypocracy, I of course got rid of that account but it still shows that people can abuse the system.

+
# 4Scottie_theNerd Jan 4 2012, 17:16 PM
It's not really "abuse" as there's nothing to gain from it. If you don't get matched up against an equal level, you will get back to the same level sooner rather than later.

+
# 5Collosis Jan 4 2012, 18:17 PM
I don't think people smurf to gain "internet points" and climb the rankings. It's just so they can play CoH and win knowing that they probably will face someone of lower ability/experience, thus with little danger of losing and therefore enjoying the match at the cost of somebody else not having fun.

+
# 6Tommy. Jan 4 2012, 18:23 PM
I don't think that's the reason anyone good remakes their account. They do it because they go on a losing streak for whatever reason and decide they need some practise where they won't get prideposted for losing, then make another 'proper' account to start levelling again.

+
# 7Hissyfit Jan 4 2012, 19:41 PM
I call bull, I 1v1'd on a new profile and had a maximum of level 14 on my other profiles. First 10 games consisted of Level 12 - 16 People.

Clan: Reborn

+
# 8Porygon Jan 4 2012, 20:44 PM
Seriously I think smurf should be removed, like SC2, stay where you are according to your win/lose stat and skill.

When you trying hard climbing rank into level 15, some random rank top 100 smurf as level 1 noob taking you down back into level 13, saving the stupid ranking of their real account.

WTF is that? Why smurf can be done without buying another copy?

+
# 9Ezio Auditore Jan 5 2012, 02:20 AM
If there was an option to use only one account the problem would had been solved.But somehow Relic decided that 5 profiles is better.

Clan: SoldiersofLiberty

+
# 10madner Jan 5 2012, 14:13 PM
I smurf (and I'm not that high lvl anyway) to test out stuff that might or might not work. You can't refine a build order vs opponents that have a 50% chance to beat you when you use a proven BO.

+
# 11Scottie_theNerd Jan 5 2012, 14:44 PM
That doesn't make sense. You can't refine a build order against opponents who you can beat 100% of the time with no keyboard and no monitor. Low-level games aren't won because of strategy; they're won simply because the opponent doesn't know what to do and when.

+
# 12madner Jan 5 2012, 15:14 PM
True, but you rise up fast and then you can see if the BO is good or not.

Besides you need a couple of games to adjust your mechanics anyway.

+
# 13Scottie_theNerd Jan 5 2012, 16:19 PM
Rising up quickly isn't an indication of BO being good, and it in no way helps you refine it, as you said above.

A BO isn't good if you use it win against bad players. If anything, using it against better players will make it better because they will punish you for errors and weaknesses, which will prompt you to refine it. Playing with newbies is a terrible way to test strategies no matter how you look at it, and if you're actually trying to skill up, you're only making it harder for yourself by shying away from higher levels.

+
# 14madner Jan 5 2012, 16:29 PM
You train your mechanics, as you beat the lower levels. A good BO might be undone by bad execution as you are not familiar with the units.

Then, once you get higher, you can really test it.

+
# 15Scottie_theNerd Jan 5 2012, 16:45 PM
You don't train anything by beating lower levels. By playing against lower levels, you lull yourself into a false understanding of your skill and effectiveness of a given strategy.

Trying a new BO against players of equal skill may result in some losses while you refine it. That is acceptable and beneficial. You learn from your losses, not your wins. A loss will highlight the flaws that need fixing, and by not using a smurf account, you will learn these flaws sooner rather than later. You won't know how poor your execution was until someone stomps you.

After all, you aren't trying a new strategy to beat new players. You are aiming to beat equal or better players. Trying a new strategy on a new player proves nothing.

So I go from a 4-Rifle strat to a 4Es opening, for example. That's a different style of play and of course I need to learn how to execute the strategy effectively. A low-level player, however, will not punish me for not executing it well. How will I learn to become a better player or become better at executing a strategy if I avoid and delay testing it in a real match situation?

+
# 16Ztormi Jan 5 2012, 17:11 PM
As far as I know, the automatch still gives you opponents of same skill level as your highest account whether you are smurfing or not.

Also someone correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like it won't take many wins to creep up to your highest level again when you are smurfing.

This post has been edited by Ztormi: Jan 5 2012, 17:14 PM

+
# 17Collosis Jan 5 2012, 17:13 PM
I agree with theNerd

+
# 18madner Jan 5 2012, 17:47 PM
In your example, if you would test it on your proper account you would lose games. Not becouse the BO is bad, or you need to refine it, but becouse you lack the proper execution. The best BO won't help if your reaction time is slower or your hotkeys are different then you used to play with.

So you would actually lower your matchmaking, and face the same lesser skilled people as you would do on a smurf account. With the drawback that you can't play versus good people until you grind back your rating.

+
# 19Tommy. Jan 5 2012, 19:36 PM
QUOTE(Collosis @ Jan 5 2012, 17:13 PM) *

I agree with theNerd

However, you're wrong because of the reason that Hissyfit, Ztormi and myself stated.

+
# 20Scottie_theNerd Jan 5 2012, 23:31 PM
QUOTE(madner @ Jan 6 2012, 03:47 AM) *

In your example, if you would test it on your proper account you would lose games. Not becouse the BO is bad, or you need to refine it, but becouse you lack the proper execution. The best BO won't help if your reaction time is slower or your hotkeys are different then you used to play with.

So you would actually lower your matchmaking, and face the same lesser skilled people as you would do on a smurf account. With the drawback that you can't play versus good people until you grind back your rating.

What's wrong with losing games? You become better from your losses. You want to lose games when trying a new strategy. Losing isn't a big deal, though it sounds like you're making it out to be something to avoided. Unless you're dropping from Level 15 to Level 3, you won't be facing foes of the same level in matchmaking after a few losses. "Grinding" back to where you were sounds like the ultimate test for a new build order.

You might as well play a Basic Match or a Skirmish if you want to get execution and hotkeys down.

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)