Explore GameReplays...

Company of Heroes

Looking for a mentor or an advice about one common difficulty

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1PonTonne Mar 17 2017, 17:22 PM
Hi guys!
I dont wanna waste your precious time so I'll try to be brief.
As many many players, I stucked in having an equal number of wins and losses playing automatch.
For example I have lvl 3 in 1 vs 1 match. Same thing happens all the time: playing automatch - winning couple of times to players lvl 1-3 - then automatch gives me lvl 5, lvl 7 player - and I loose couple of times (I just played with lvl 12 guy). And then it goes around.
I know that Im not the only one. I played about 1200 rounds, and I saw guys with 5000 games with noob rank and equal number of wins and losses. Conversely, I saw high level guys with 500 games or less. So I guess I simply hitting a wall playing more and more.

So guys Im asking for mentor's help to tell me where do I go wrong. Sadly I know that Coh 1 is not popular these days and most likely is out of mentors.
So any advice from any experienced player that managed this problem of his would be appreciated.
Here are some things I do regularly to improve:
- playing automatch
- whatching expert replays
- reading strategy guides
- whatching youtube shoutcasts
- when Im facing good player, Im asking an advice before game over.

So what should I do? What would you do? Any advice or mentor's help plz smile.gif

This post has been edited by PonTonne: Apr 19 2017, 05:58 AM

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 2TrouserDemon Apr 22 2017, 15:39 PM
You can't improve greatly just by playing, and reading, and watching games. It doesn't happen serendipitously. I suggest you take one thing that you see go well in expert games, or that your opponents use, and practice doing that one same thing. Focus on really learning one thing at a time. Aim to achieve a specific measurable thing in one aspect, like micro-ing a vehicle well, or outflanking an MG position with rifles. Get that one thing down, then move onto another specific thing to improve.

It's far better to practice in this way, than to aimlessly give yourself the goal to "improve" and just play a lot.

+
# 3PonTonne May 3 2017, 20:30 PM
Thanks a lot Demon! That's exactly the same advice as Geoff Colvin gives in his book "Talent Is Overrated" - intelligent practice, dividing skill into pieces and training them one by one. I will follow it. Strange thing is that nobody told me about it before, and no mention of this type of training in strategy guides. I allways get one and the same tips - don't loose units, adapt, play aggressively, improve your micro - obvious advices that doesn't help a lot.

Great advice, thanks!

+

2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)