Universe at War

UaW makes me sad

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 21JcGNeon Jan 30 2011, 01:07 AM
Disappointing.

Game: Kanes Wrath

+
# 22vOddy Feb 1 2011, 09:30 AM
You can still get games, if you don't mind waiting, and log on at good times... But just by having macro and decent RTS skills you will be able to beat 99.99% of all players. A few will still be able to beat you, however. Once you actually learn the game, like the matchups and stuff, then you will have about two worthy opponents.

However, if you want to, you can play with me and Saphri. We're the only decent players still playing. We continued evolving the game by refining the strategies and coming up with new stuff, and it's actually very interesting (and balanced).

This post has been edited by vOddy: Feb 1 2011, 09:32 AM

Game: Universe at War

+
# 23JcGNeon Feb 2 2011, 22:33 PM
I guess I will buy this game soon. If it is as good as you claim, I will look past the lack of decent players. A friend of mine might as well.

Game: Kanes Wrath

+
# 24Weppler Mar 9 2011, 00:02 AM
The best thing about this game: Games for Windows Live died with it, so it can not destroy more games.
The most sad thing about this game: It had so much potential, but failed anyway.

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 25vb4 Jul 10 2011, 15:17 PM
Duke Nukem Forever is out.
Beyond Good and Evil will get a sequel with the next generation.
Kid Icarus gets a sequel.
The next Deus Ex will be good.
...Maybe there's still hope for UaW.

+
# 26Malid Jul 27 2011, 03:42 AM
I still swear by this game up and down. I know there is a cult following group that plays regularly. Matchmaking is pretty much never going to be populated again, but it's the sort of game that you can get together and play with some friends who also play, and find the right circles. It won't die entirely.

I wish this and that and the other. Having you pay to even play custom games at launch was insane. Utterly insane. No one did it sense. DoW II could have been killed off if not for UAW failing because of it. And DOW II almost did die due to GFWL. Eventually Microsoft let go of pay-to-play for custom games. I remember the beta. If I recall correctly, GFWL was not implemented fully back then, so we did not have to deal with all that hassle. The game looked incredibly promising, it was fun as all get out, it was even attracting the pro's looking for something new after cnc3 and zh. I remember playing against some really talent folks back then.

At it's core, it still a lot of fun. It's not friendly to new players right away but you can ease them into it, have them learn one faction at a time.

The fire is still there for UAW, if small and neglected. The developers put a lot of love and respect into it. They really gave a damn. The IP technically belongs Sega though, and that's not a relationship that, in my opinion, Petroglyph wants to get into again.

However, at least Universe at War has shown that making games is an art, and business can hurt art as much as help it; that not every RTS needs to follow the same formula; that, on occasion, you don't actually have to play as 'humans' to enjoy a game; that innovation 'can' be successful and fun; and that "Rock, Paper, Scissors" can be utterly ignored from the ground up and still come out a strategically and tactically enjoyable experience.

I bought it at launch, I don't regret it even a little.

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 27Auron. Nov 2 2011, 01:02 AM
Correction - the next Deus Ex was absolutely awesomesauce. Today I was watching some old westwood stuff made me want to play uaw... Anybody still alive on it?

Game: Dawn of War 3

+
# 28vOddy Jan 19 2012, 23:50 PM
QUOTE(Auron. @ Nov 2 2011, 03:02 AM) *

Correction - the next Deus Ex was absolutely awesomesauce. Today I was watching some old westwood stuff made me want to play uaw... Anybody still alive on it?

No, just xbox noobs. Make any unit of choice and attack: 100% winrate.

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)