Explore GameReplays...

Rise of the Witch King

Solas | Thrand, Mako, Jaber, Derfel

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1MauHR Dec 1 2017, 03:13 AM
This is your personal mentoring topic. Use it as needed.
You can ask general mentoring questions in the General Q/A thread.
If you encounter problems with someone on your team or for any other queries, please PM me.

If you wish to extend your mentoring session beyond Jan 31st, you should indicate this with a post in this topic as the end of the mentoring period approaches.

Note: You are expected to be active in this topic throughout the mentoring period (until Jan 31st). Please make good use of this program, it's a great opportunity for everyone to have some fun and give the RotWK competitive community a boost.

Good luck & have fun guys!

Game: Rise of the Witch King

+
# 2MauHR Dec 1 2017, 03:31 AM
As you may have noticed I picked three of you for choosing Dwarves ^^, so let's start digging.
Thrand will get a special treatment tongue.gif

+
# 3Mako Dec 1 2017, 13:59 PM
Is better that we focus on 1v1 or not? in both case is better to play "known" maps (foi and buckland) or not?
Or just spam and don't bother me?

+
# 4Derfel_ Dec 1 2017, 15:27 PM
Can't wait to start this program smile.gif

I know the theory, generally speaking, because I've always read this forum and i've seen lots on video on YT. I think that my main problem is to apply those strategies correctly, because i react too slowly or i make a wrong decision (and, sometimes, i'm also really tired XD).
So i need a general improvement, but i choose dwarves specifically cause they're very tricky in some contest.

+
# 5MauHR Dec 1 2017, 18:47 PM
QUOTE(Mako @ Dec 1 2017, 13:59 PM) *

Is better that we focus on 1v1 or not? in both case is better to play "known" maps (foi and buckland) or not?
Or just spam and don't bother me?

I'm a oldschool person in that sense, so yes, we will play 90% 1v1 on FoI.

About our practice time: I will dedicate between 2-3 hours per day for you mentees if needed/wanted. 2-3 hours in total, not for each mentee, so it'd be ideal if at least 3 of us can be online at the same time and practice. If only one mentee is online at a day then he gets the 2-3 hours for himself.

Also everyone download the copilot map from this map pack plz.

This post has been edited by MauHR: Dec 1 2017, 19:12 PM

+
# 6MauHR Dec 3 2017, 21:32 PM
Playbook Dwarf vs. Isen game:

Attached File jaber.BfME2Replay
Size: 54.68k
Number of downloads: 15
Player Name Side Team
Dark* 0
thrand 0

+
# 7Onyx Dec 3 2017, 21:38 PM
QUOTE(MauHR @ Dec 3 2017, 21:32 PM) *

Playbook Dwarf vs. Isen game:

Attached File jaber.BfME2Replay
Size: 54.68k
Number of downloads: 15
Player Name Side Team
Dark* 0
thrand 0

What's your twitch?

Game: Graphics

+
# 8MauHR Dec 3 2017, 21:41 PM
QUOTE(Onyx @ Dec 3 2017, 21:38 PM) *

What's your twitch?

/Solas1994

+
# 9Mako Dec 6 2017, 13:42 PM
Off host
Attached File mako_vs_motoma_dw_vs_dw.BfME2Replay
Size: 73.14k
Number of downloads: 7
Player Name Side Team
DJ_$wegboi 0
慍潫* 1
Attached File mako_vs_motma_dw_vs_men.BfME2Replay
Size: 52.68k
Number of downloads: 13
Player Name Side Team
DJ_$wegboi 0
慍潫* 0

On host
Attached File mako_vs_motoma_dw_vs_gobs.BfME2Replay
Size: 119.79k
Number of downloads: 14
Player Name Side Team
慍潫* 1
DJ_$wegboi 0

+
# 10MauHR Dec 6 2017, 14:45 PM
Will review soon.

+
# 11king thranduil fabulous Dec 6 2017, 16:20 PM
solas as gobs i want start gobs warior agiasnt elves . but idk how to make elf busy to make good stuf . or is it good to do bats to defend or start warchant? like kill the first swords coming for my farm . should i get gobs archer fast?
is it good to do forward mines?

+
# 12Derfel_ Dec 6 2017, 17:50 PM
I hope that the replay is correct cause it's the first time that i put one of them here.

In these days i'm continuing to practice the opening with dws.

This was one of the games. I choose it because I won but make some conceptual mistakes and i think that are a good start to reflect about how i should play

I tried to start analizing my errors and put some questions:

- with that amount of warg packs probably i should make another HoW or an archery range instead of forgeworks (or maybe even save money for a quick Brand?)?
- i focused maybe too much on phalanxes, in the first minutes, 'cause i was expecting lots of warg riders
- i didn't know that battle wagons weren't able to trample berserkers
- when both of my heroes died i could easily save at least brand, but i was too focused on gloin

- generally speaking i need to be more multitasking and react quickly, but that will come with time and practice

ps: i was offhost

Attached File dws_isen_vs_Alien.BfME2Replay
Size: 114.86k
Number of downloads: 7
Player Name Side Team
Alien 1
Derfel* 0

This post has been edited by Derfel_: Dec 6 2017, 20:21 PM

+
# 13Mako Dec 6 2017, 19:05 PM
Solas posted above how to play DW Vs Isen. try to see it.

+
# 14Derfel_ Dec 6 2017, 20:21 PM
I saw that, but I still prefer to ask for understanding better

+
# 15MauHR Dec 7 2017, 00:58 AM
QUOTE(Derfel_ @ Dec 6 2017, 17:50 PM) *

- with that amount of warg packs probably i should make another HoW or an archery range instead of forgeworks (or maybe even save money for a quick Brand?)?

One thing to quickly get out of everyone mind when it comes to units such as Lings and Wargs: They do not counter the purpose of your first BW. It's a sort of Drummer that forces pikes, not necessarily a trampler or harasser. Brand wouldve been fine too though. Against a good player who uses this unit composition from Isen, an archery range would totally fail unless you camp.

- i focused maybe too much on phalanxes, in the first minutes, 'cause i was expecting lots of warg riders

Agreed. Dont lose focus on your big push with the Banner wagon when there's Warg packs and such. That's what he wants. Continue to slowly push from the Inn spot and, as slight adjustment to the Warg harass, leave Hobbits in rock mode behind to defend. Ideally hide them in trees.
Said attack wouldnt have done much damage, even with BW. However it's important to make Isen stay in his base and posture in front of him. That makes all the Mineshafts you built in the south safe cause you push into the direction you expand. Sit outside of his base, make a tower if you want. Get Brand or MoD while you posture, it's all just meant to buy you time.

- i didn't know that battle wagons weren't able to trample berserkers

Yes, and they also do some OP damage against them. Cant really trample too much when Berserkers are involved, so unless youre going 3-4 BWs with MoD upgrade as ranged support, just use your BW for leadership.

A general point: If Dwarf loses control over one flank of the map, you gotta have a presence on the opposite side already. If Dwarf doesnt have either, its gonna be very hard to get a foothold on the map again and to have strong attacks.

The game looked quite chaotic because of a few sub-optimal moves in the earlygame, a few insecurities. That's why I never really comment on much lategame-related things. They wouldnt have happened in the first place if the earlygame was proper. As Dwarf it's so important to think about every nuance and detail in the earlygame and to rule out every little wrong thing you can do. Eventually a clear understanding of when to attack and how to attack, what to build and how to use it, where to expand and when will crystalize out of it.

+
# 16Derfel_ Dec 7 2017, 06:56 AM
Thank you so much. I'll continue to practice with that opening. At least now i've learned a little bit more.

+
# 17Jaberwaukee Dec 21 2017, 02:33 AM
when can we play again? also how do i paste replays in here? do i just attach the file to a comment?

+
# 18MauHR Dec 21 2017, 04:38 AM
QUOTE(Jaberwaukee @ Dec 21 2017, 02:33 AM) *

when can we play again? also how do i paste replays in here? do i just attach the file to a comment?

Tomorrow should work. And yes.

+
# 19Jaberwaukee Dec 22 2017, 00:31 AM
t

This post has been edited by Jaberwaukee: Dec 22 2017, 00:43 AM

+
# 20Mako Jan 1 2018, 12:47 PM
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/214378986
Attached File 1v1_vs_elves.BfME2Replay
Size: 117.67k
Number of downloads: 9
Player Name Side Team
AlphaPreda 0
慍潫* 0

I have the same problem vs campy elves. game was ended before if he went for hereoes i think. I didn't do 2nd barrack becasue he has too much elves already so prolly i didn't push well in mid/early game.

First attack wasn't a success too and i didn't get fast the creeps. Any considerations solas?

This post has been edited by Mako: Jan 1 2018, 12:55 PM

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)