Explore GameReplays...

Rise of the Witch King

Belenos | Nikasso, Mellitus, csetlekbotlok, TheSmasher

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1MauHR Dec 1 2017, 03:16 AM
This is your personal mentoring topic. Use it as needed.
You can ask general mentoring questions in the General Q/A thread.
If you encounter problems with someone on your team or for any other queries, please PM me.

If you wish to extend your mentoring session beyond Jan 31st, you should indicate this with a post in this topic as the end of the mentoring period approaches.

Note: You are expected to be active in this topic throughout the mentoring period (until Jan 31st). Please make good use of this program, it's a great opportunity for everyone to have some fun and give the RotWK competitive community a boost.

Good luck & have fun guys!

Game: Rise of the Witch King

+
# 2Nikasso Dec 1 2017, 10:26 AM
Hi guys, so how this program works?))

+
# 3Belenos Dec 1 2017, 15:01 PM
I have a busy day today. I won't be online till late. For now what you can do is write down the start you use for the faction(s) you need help with and send them to me so we will atleast have something to discuss, in the weekend we can start the real training biggrin.gif

+
# 4Belenos Dec 1 2017, 15:27 PM
Also I think it would be wise that we add eachother on gameranger, and if possible, Discord. In case you missed mine:
Discord: Belenos#2253
gameranger ID: 4594086

+
# 5Mellitus Dec 1 2017, 16:02 PM
Hey! Great, looking forward to it. I must say thank you so much for the time you take to teach us.
On "workdays" I work 'till 16.00 GMT +1 (So 15.00 standard GMT). Weekends are, generally, free.
As I said in the original thread, I am really new. But I've decided to start with the Elves and move on the Men of the West afterwards.

So for Elves i usually start with two Mallorn Trees next to the fortress, build an Elven Barack and a third Mallorn Tree, then I go for whatever unit suits the map or opponent I'm facing (In my limited experience). Then I start the unit production while doing my best to expand my territory with more Mallorn Trees and unit production buildings, either a second Barrack or a Green Pasture.
That's my generall start in build order.

I'll add you, as soon as I can. As a sidenote, Nikasso how about we add each other for to spar against one another?

This post has been edited by Mellitus: Dec 1 2017, 16:49 PM

+
# 6Belenos Dec 1 2017, 20:02 PM
With the first 2 farms you place, do you place them so that you get at least 97% per tree? You should always try and get the first 3 farms 97%. Ofcourse with Elves you can quickly switch between unit types, unlike factions like men, so it's good that you adapt on the map or enemy. If you choose to spam Elves, I would suggest also getting Haldir, a great support hero. All depends on what you're facing, wheter you should go cav or second barracks. When we start training I will have a better view on your Elven play and more tips and tricks will follow smile.gif

+
# 7Mellitus Dec 1 2017, 20:12 PM
Thanks!
Yeah I do try to get atleast the first two in the 90-percentile, I also think the versatility is one of the things I really enojy with the elves. As for heroes I try to get out Haldir or Glorfindel as fast as I can, I enjoy Glorfindel more but he is a bit pricey aswell.
Again, thanks for the tips. Really looking forward to this =)

Ps. The Mallorn Trees precentile is really depending on the map and how familiar I am with the layout and where to put the trees, I think that's one of the things you learn with experience, as for units while I try to be versatile I do have something of a love for the Mithlond Sentries and Lothlrien Archers - combo.

This post has been edited by Mellitus: Dec 1 2017, 20:15 PM

+
# 8Belenos Dec 3 2017, 12:25 PM
Alright, if you all could join this discord channel it would be a lot easier to communicate with eachother smile.gif
https://discord.gg/K7ArTNM

+
# 9Nikasso Dec 3 2017, 20:58 PM
Haven't played for week or two. Yet somehow survived for long enough. Lost anyway.....

Those DAMN Eagles drive me CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

p.s. I've played against real player (2.02 v7)

This post has been edited by Nikasso: Dec 4 2017, 17:29 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File Mordor_1__mentee_.BfME2Replay
Size: 134.12k
Number of downloads: 8
Player Name Side Team
Nikasso* 0
Мольфар 0

+
# 10Belenos Dec 5 2017, 13:24 PM
Alright, in no 1v1 should a player sit on over 10k so early in game.

-Your orc pits should be placed so that they protect a farm
-You didn't spam, 1 Orc Pit is not enough by far, I recommend at least 3
-Lumber Mills should be build much later in the game
-Your overal micro needs some work, it's just something you need to practice
-Don't expand to the point where you cannot protect your farms, in this case your opponent did not take advantage of it
-Your Orc Archers were in melee range of his swords, avoid this at all costs, archers can't do melee very well smile.gif
-Buff your army if the Eye of Sauron is active, don't let it sit there looking at the enemy when your troops are in combat
-If you have pikes being idle, creep some lairs. Gives a good boost to powerpoints and recources
-Harras from more sides, don't just attack from the middle
-Why summon the Eye at 4:10?
-Cata expansion was by all means not needed
-Don't have your army do nothing, always try and have your troops active, if not attacking, prepare them for an attack, don't let them stand somewhere doing nothing
-When you're attacking, try and keep producing units. So you can defend a possible counter attack or keep the pressure on your opponent. Good way to do this is to hotkey your production buildings, so you can keep an eye on your army while producing
-Battering Ram would've finished Elves real soon
-Harras your enemy, don't let him/her expand without consequences

your first 3 farms were placed nicely, all giving 25 each time, as it should be

These are just things I noticed and think you should work on. Take it easy and don't try and soak up all of these things at once, read them before you do another 1v1 and try and remember them. It should improve your game by a bit already.

+
# 11Nikasso Dec 5 2017, 17:08 PM
1) "-If you have pikes being idle, creep some lairs. Gives a good boost to powerpoints and recources" - Can you explain in more details what is this about?
2) I summoned the Eye to see what and how he builds. I used waypoints to walk it around. Is this a bad idea?
3) What is "cata expansion"?
4) I was always in action. It was really hard to keep up. I guess it comes with some more practice?

Thank You a lot for your review!!!!!!!!!!!

+
# 12Mellitus Dec 5 2017, 18:55 PM
Right so this is my first match ever online, or against another player. I failed my Glorfindel management something horrible, lost him twice. And my micro was generally subpar. I have no idea if a cav-start was the way to go, but I won (yaay)!

I'd appriciate any constructive criticism you can give me, both positive and negative (positive in a sense that I can understand what was good and what was bad, since my understanding of the game is lacking).

Thanks!

Attached File(s)
Attached File First_Win.BfME2Replay
Size: 66.02k
Number of downloads: 4
Player Name Side Team
Mellitus* 0
krougis 0

+
# 13Belenos Dec 5 2017, 20:50 PM
1) if you were to have 1 batalion of pikes in your base or something, not attacking. use them to kill some lairs.
2) first eye of sauron as scout is good, gives you an idea of what he does, after that i saw you summoned the eye but didnt let your troops benefit from it
3) catapult expansion on your fort, only needed if under siege imo
4) your army was standing still for a while for me,

It could be possible that something went wrong with the replay, to me you and your opponent were very idle, and the eye of sauron didn't move after the first summon. So if I'm wrong I apologize smile.gif let me know if this is true.

+
# 14Belenos Dec 5 2017, 20:50 PM
Mellitus, I will watch your replay and review it tomorrow after I'm finished with school wink.gif

+
# 15Nikasso Dec 6 2017, 19:13 PM
It moved after the first summon. And I was always ordering and moving something. Anyway I could miss some troops sometime. And it is possible that some of them stayed still sometime. Anyway. The more criticizm the better!

+
# 16Nikasso Dec 7 2017, 15:57 PM
Hi. What can you advise against those freaking Eagles?

+
# 17Belenos Dec 7 2017, 18:39 PM
Haradrim Archers. if you have a couple of them, especially with fire arrows or a buff they will destroy eagles. 1 fellbeast won't be enough as the eagle can easily escape before its too dangerous. orc archers I wouldnt recommend, better to spend the recources on haradrim archers

+
# 18Nikasso Dec 8 2017, 17:37 PM
And what is the way for Dwarves to kill an Eagle?
Or, if you be so kind to list the ways for all fractions? In a few words. Or maybe you know where I can read about that?

+
# 19Belenos Dec 8 2017, 21:11 PM
Men: Rangers, Faramir are a good combo
Elves: Any archers, more Loriens are required as they arent as strong. Mirkwoods would bring it down fairly quick
Dwarves: Men of Dale, the Black arrows will do a lot of damage to the Eagle. Also Brands Beast Slayer will do loads of damage
Angmar: Axe Trowers with Hwaldars Leadership or Dark Rangers.
Isengard: Might be the faction that struggles the most with flyers. Upgraded Crossbows or axetrowers would bring it down at a decent rate.
Goblins: Only counters this faction has are Drogoth, Goblin Archers and Spider Riders, while Drogoth is expensive, and a risk because of the Elven archers, I would suggest a good amount of Goblin archers. Poison arrows should do a job

+
# 20Nikasso Dec 9 2017, 12:56 PM
Thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)