Explore GameReplays...

CNC Zero Hour

Black Screen Bug Mid-Game

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1`Legionnaire Sep 9 2017, 11:06 AM
Hi,

(Love GenTool BTW)

I was playing a few weeks back and randomly, 14 minutes into the game, my screen went black. My cursor froze on the 'scrolling cursor' as I was scrolling when the bug struck. All I could see were the little text things of GenTool in the upper left and right corners. My controls still worked, and so did my audio. I managed to type in the chat (whilst blind) and I heard people reply. After the game they did say they could see my messages in-game. Another strange phenomenon was that I had to press Enter twice before the all-player chat box would open (not sure if this info is useful).

I had OBS running recording the match, but I've never had issues in the past. I did not have my graphics card overclocked either and had the latest AMD graphics drivers installed. I'm not even 100% sure this is a GenTool bug, but since I could still see the GenTool text, I thought I'd post it here.

I don't know if this has a simple fix or if it's a 1-in-a-million bug that can be ignored. I had this happen only once so far, and I think I've played around 100 games on this machine. Just thought I'd report it.

I am running the latest version of GenTool, patch 1.04 with crack. Virus scanners are disabled when I play (apart from Windows Defender).

Specs:
Windows 10 x64
Ryzen 1700
AMD R9 390X

I have the whole thing on video. If you like I can upload it maybe tonight or tomorrow night and put the link here. Would that help?

Game: CNC Zero Hour

+
# 2xezon Sep 9 2017, 15:13 PM
That is odd indeed. The black screen is a "feature" that is activated when a program would try to alter the game, such as a cheat program. It would be interesting to hear if it is reproducible somehow.

Clan: MENTAL

+
# 3`Legionnaire Sep 9 2017, 16:57 PM
QUOTE(xezon @ Sep 9 2017, 15:13 PM) *

That is odd indeed. The black screen is a "feature" that is activated when a program would try to alter the game, such as a cheat program. It would be interesting to hear if it is reproducible somehow.

Here's Boycah's version of the replay (I don't have my own because I used Task Manager to kill off the game).

http://gentool.net/data/zh/2017_08_August/...MonOlo_FAFA.rep

http://gentool.net/data/zh/2017_08_August/...e_ROFOLBOHUABK/

Also you will see my hotkey program thing. Let me tell you how that works: It's a Java program that uses native C++ code to act as a global key listener. It does nothing more than that. The program's window is fully transparent, that's why you get that effect. It, in no way, hooks or interacts with any application.

Again, this bug has only happened once so far so I don't think it's a high priority.

This post has been edited by `Legionnaire: Sep 10 2017, 08:20 AM

+
# 4`Legionnaire Sep 10 2017, 08:20 AM
Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ttOD910OkU...eature=youtu.be

+
# 5xezon Sep 10 2017, 11:05 AM
Yea looks bad. I wonder if anyone else ever ran into this. It's certainly the first time someone posts it here. It should not happen with regular game installs.

+
# 6`Legionnaire Sep 10 2017, 18:04 PM
QUOTE(xezon @ Sep 10 2017, 12:05 PM) *

It should not happen with regular game installs.

Since I already bought the game I'm not also going to pay for the Origin version just to get it running on Windows 10 or later. I also think I'm not alone in this mindset. I'm running the crack over a clean install.

Whether or not the bug is related to the crack, the only 'pattern' I could see is that it struck just as the new music started to play. Or perhaps something to do with the Missile Defender that got killed, or the Missile Defender that was shooting into the unknown.

Anyway this bug is so rare I don't even think you need to fix it. If it happens more often I'll let you know.

+
# 7xezon Sep 10 2017, 21:17 PM
QUOTE(`Legionnaire @ Sep 10 2017, 20:04 PM) *

Since I already bought the game I'm not also going to pay for the Origin version just to get it running on Windows 10 or later. I also think I'm not alone in this mindset. I'm running the crack over a clean install.

Whether or not the bug is related to the crack, the only 'pattern' I could see is that it struck just as the new music started to play. Or perhaps something to do with the Missile Defender that got killed, or the Missile Defender that was shooting into the unknown.

Anyway this bug is so rare I don't even think you need to fix it. If it happens more often I'll let you know.

I consider regular cracks as regular game installs. Which crack on what game version did you use?

+
# 8`Legionnaire Sep 11 2017, 08:31 AM
QUOTE(xezon @ Sep 10 2017, 22:17 PM) *

I consider regular cracks as regular game installs. Which crack on what game version did you use?

Oh alright. I think my game would be considered a regular install then. smile.gif

Installed the game via original CD's ISO files (so using the normal setup). Then I patch to version 1.04 using the official patch. Then I apply the crack from www.gamecopyworld.com (https://youtu.be/AA3h18gnIfk?t=10m51s). Then I install GenTool. Then I fix options.ini.

You can see the full process I do at https://youtu.be/AA3h18gnIfk. If you do click the link, there's an index in the video description because the video is kinda long... post-13661-1143531603.gif

+
# 9xezon Sep 11 2017, 16:42 PM
There are many cracks on GameCopyWorld. Which one do you use?

+
# 10`Legionnaire Sep 11 2017, 22:58 PM
QUOTE(xezon @ Sep 11 2017, 17:42 PM) *

There are many cracks on GameCopyWorld. Which one do you use?

There's only one, you can see it on the video exactly at 12:20.

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)