Explore GameReplays...

Act of Aggression

Why do you think AoA died so fast ?

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1-UBeR\MiCrO` Oct 8 2015, 22:33 PM
As we can all see. just like i predicted, AoA is already dead. to be honest i didn't expect it to die so fast, just 1 and a half month after release.
surprisingly, age of empires 2 is more active than it, age of empires 3 is more active than it, red alert 2 on gameranger is more active than it, zero hour on gameranger is more active than it.
so why do you think it died so fast ?
i think it died because the release was rushed, it's not polished, poor gameplay, poor tutorial, no 20 vs 20, and slow pace.
the game failed to gain the interest of noobs and RTS veterans. for a noob the game is too complicated and there is no good tutorial to teach him the game and the campaign is shit basically. and for an RTS veteran the gameplay lacks micro management. the units doesn't respond quickly, and like i mentioned units have a bad fire behaviour (http://www.gamereplays.org/community/index.php?showtopic=969037). and it doesn't require much APM (actions per minute) you don't need to be fast. and obviously no diversity. helicopters in general are over performing especially superhinds. i win most of my games building superhinds only which is kinda boring. but then again if you don't build superhinds vs USA for example you can't win.
that's what i think. what do you think ?

Game: CNC Zero Hour

+
# 2Maru Oct 8 2015, 22:38 PM
You know what, I can't fault your reasoning, as much as I want to... I can't. I totally agree, however I'm still going to keep playing as I'm really not bored of it yet. I don't think it's totally dead and I'm definitely not giving up on it as I said I still enjoy playing and the game is only a month old.

This post has been edited by Maru: Oct 8 2015, 22:47 PM

Clan: New Generation

Game: Battle for Middle Earth 2

+
# 3Basilone™ Oct 8 2015, 23:22 PM
I play a moderate amount of coh2 (mostly 2v2 bc 1v1 sucks in that game) and I thought this would be a good competitive 1v1 game with a huge playerbase like all the CNC games. Unfortunately it seems like there are 20 or so high level players which is pretty disappointing. I like the faction design, and I really want to get in to this game, but the game being nearly dead already is a joke....cmon Eugen.

I haven't lost hope on the game getting more polish and honestly that isn't even what the kills it for me I still hae fun, its the damn lack of players.

This post has been edited by Basilone™: Oct 8 2015, 23:26 PM

Clan: Reborn

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 4vehman Oct 8 2015, 23:43 PM
can you see game ranger stats without downloading it?

Clan: Team|Alias

Game: Command and Conquer 3

+
# 5-UBeR\MiCrO` Oct 9 2015, 00:04 AM
you can't see gameranger stats but there are shitloads of zero hour and red alert 2 games being played

+
# 6oompah Oct 9 2015, 00:35 AM
I play all the time and get tons of games. This isn't a statecraft 2 success but it isn't a grey goo flop. When I get on there are usually around 500 players on...not bad at all I'm and the game is Freakin awesome

Game: Act of Aggression

+
# 7Maru Oct 9 2015, 00:55 AM
QUOTE(oompah @ Oct 9 2015, 01:35 AM) *
I play all the time and get tons of games. This isn't a statecraft 2 success but it isn't a grey goo flop. When I get on there are usually around 500 players on...not bad at all I'm and the game is Freakin awesome

Fuck yeah banana.gif this is the attitude we fucking need!

+
# 8-UBeR\MiCrO` Oct 9 2015, 06:10 AM
no. hell no. this is not the attitude we need, the attitude we need is to criticize the game to make the developers make it better. if we all act like this dude the game will never be fixed. are you guys too blind to see how broken this game is ?
it's fun in the core i must say that. it's got potential but it feels like it's still in a beta stage. NO not even beta, it feels like alpha.
wake up for fuck sakes. if the game was so fun why is it so dead just a month after the release ? why are people leaving ? why am i not addicted to it like i was addicted to so many other RTS games ? why is it rated 6/10 on steam ?

+
# 9Daunt II Oct 9 2015, 07:41 AM
Developers work in a software house that releases one title per year. You won't have them improving the game, as a polished and active game would damage the sales of their next title. Therefore yes, the best option is to enjoy it while it lasts. After so many years, I have lost faith in the messiah (a non-mainstream RTS which can enjoy a good balance, a perfect polish and an active community not limited to a few dozens players), pretending that he can still come just makes you more negative about games. And once I've accepted that the 1995-2005 decade will not happen again, it has become easier to enjoy what I have on hands before finding a decent game becomes impossible. For now, it is still possible.

+
# 10FyreNL Oct 9 2015, 08:03 AM
According to steamcharts, the total number of players tops last week was sunday at 19:00. Estimate: 850 - 900 players online at peak. Also, the game reguraly tends swing around position #200 in most-played games at that current moment.

Believe it or not, that's not too bad. Seriously. That's about the amount of people playing CoD: Modern Warfare 3, more than TES: Oblivion and only slightly less than Red Orchestra 2 - to give you an example, which are all fairly popular games.

This post has been edited by FyreNL: Oct 9 2015, 08:12 AM

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 11atdsutm Oct 9 2015, 08:04 AM
Game is dead.

Why bother posting?

+
# 12Maru Oct 9 2015, 14:00 PM
QUOTE(-UBeR\MiCrO` @ Oct 9 2015, 07:10 AM) *
no. hell no. this is not the attitude we need, the attitude we need is to criticize the game to make the developers make it better. if we all act like this dude the game will never be fixed. are you guys too blind to see how broken this game is ?
it's fun in the core i must say that. it's got potential but it feels like it's still in a beta stage. NO not even beta, it feels like alpha.
wake up for fuck sakes. if the game was so fun why is it so dead just a month after the release ? why are people leaving ? why am i not addicted to it like i was addicted to so many other RTS games ? why is it rated 6/10 on steam ?

While I agree with you on the points you mentioned in the OP about the game being shall we say, not up to scratch, it is FAR from being actually broken. I think your main problem here and that of many of the other negative players is this... And listen to it because it is important...

You severely over estimate your actual enjoyment of RTS games. Which means you think you enjoy RTS more than you actually do. People are blaming all the failed RTS games that are coming out on the fact they are not good enough, when in fact you need to be taking a look at your self... do you actually ENJOY playing RTS any more? Once you come to terms with the fact that gamers as a whole have moved on from RTS you'll realise the game really isn't so bad.

Think about it, 4k screens, huge graphics cards with photo realism and massive open worlds... These things were only dreamed about in the RTS golden ERA. People just enjoy these types of games more these days and therefore it is a given that RTS won't be as fun as it used to be.

Summary: Play the game for what it is, it's fun. Don't blame the game when gamers as a whole have moved on from these types of games because there simply wont be a perfect RTS like in the golden days.

+
# 13oompah Oct 9 2015, 16:29 PM
I understand your frustration with the game - it's almost something really special, but its not quite there...

running around saying the game is dead doesn't do anyone any good (especially when it's not true). The best thing you can do, if you really care about seeing the game improve and grow, is to spread good positive word of mouth, introduce the game to friends, post as much about the things you like about the game and be positive.

It's fine to post in their official forums whatever it is about the game that does frustrate you, but do it in a mature constructive way.

We all like this game and want it to succeed, be part of the solution.

This post has been edited by oompah: Oct 9 2015, 16:32 PM

+
# 14letsrock Oct 9 2015, 23:32 PM
I wouldn't say it's dead. Activity is a bit low but I can still find 1v1 ranked game within 5 mins on average. Hopefully when the new patch is out more people will be online.

Also personally I still find this game fun and the best modern-military RTS out there. As for alternatives: Starcraft2 is not one, and old games like Empire Earth, C&C: Generals, Act Of War, SupCom are all almost inactive now, plus AoA is still more realistic (real-life units etc).

Game: Supreme Commander

+
# 15Spector111 Oct 10 2015, 05:03 AM
@letsrock

There are more MP games of Generals across the p2p services like the Gameranger every day then there are AoA battles.

+
# 16vehman Oct 10 2015, 05:35 AM
QUOTE(Spector111 @ Oct 9 2015, 22:03 PM) *

@letsrock

There are more MP games of Generals across the p2p services like the Gameranger every day then there are AoA battles.

pics or it didnt happen

Clan: Team|Alias

Game: Command and Conquer 3

+
# 17Spector111 Oct 10 2015, 08:40 AM
QUOTE(vehman @ Oct 10 2015, 05:35 AM) *

pics or it didnt happen

There are over 30 games of C&C generals zero hour just on gameranger at this very moment. How many are online at AoA? 21 when I checked just now. And that is just ONE single, p2p network. There is also a fan made server service just for C&C games.
IPB Image

+
# 18letsrock Oct 10 2015, 10:57 AM
There are 40 games in AoA now and it's off-peak time for AoA.

And sure if you want to play a custom game then you can still find games in C&C: Generals, SupCom (FAForever server) or even Empire Earth (NeoEE server). But if you want a relatively quick ranked 1v1 Search with ladder then you can't with them.

Game: Supreme Commander

+
# 19Spector111 Oct 10 2015, 11:14 AM
And there are now over 60 Generals games just on Gameranger...

+
# 20Maru Oct 10 2015, 12:54 PM
You aren't measuring the games that are in progress on AoA but you are measuring games that are in progress on gameranger.

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)