Explore GameReplays...

Bad Company 2

MSI R5850 Twin Frozr II and BF:BC2

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1Kibatsu Apr 15 2010, 20:47 PM
Hi guys,

I need your help. I've recently upgraded from a Gainward GTX 260 Golden Sample to a MSI R5850 Twin Frozr II.

I'm mainly playing Battlefield: Bad Company 2 at the moment, after exchanging the cards I experienced the following errors with the game (all using DX9):
  • I can only play 1 round, when a new map is loaded, I can only see the GUI, icons, Target A, B, C overlays, etc. but otherwise I get a black screen, although I can move and hear sounds (Catalyst Driver: 10.3)
  • Random game freezes or crashes to desktop (I don't blame the new ATi card here, Bad Company 2 is still friggin buggy)
  • complete system freeze and the monitor turns off due to no signal input (Catalyst Driver: 10.2)
  • sometimes smoke just gets displayed as a black area (Catalyst Driver: 10.2)
  • after minimizing the game to desktop I can hear no more sounds when the game is maximized again (Catalyst Driver: 10.2)
  • Windows XP Pro SP2 now takes ages to boot
Any ideas / suggestions? sad.gif So far I've been a NVIDIA fanboy, now I remember why ... dry.gif

Alternatively I'm also tempted to install Windows 7 64-bit and test out everything including DX10.

My system:
  • Processor: DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 @ 2666 MHz
  • Memory: 4x 1 GB Kingston HyperX Memory
  • Hard Drive: 2x SAMSUNG HD501LJ (500 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-II)
  • Monitor: LG L226W 22" LCD
  • Sound Card: Creative Extreme Gamer
  • Speakers / Headphones: Creative X-210 7.1 System / Creative Fatal1ty Headset
  • Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS4

Clan: Deathwatch

Game: Dawn of War 3

+
# 2Vissario Apr 15 2010, 21:22 PM
Have you uninstalled the previous graphics drivers?
What case do you have? There should be enough cooling in there, at least 3 fans which push and pull the air out.
Windows XP SP2 means that it is far from up to date, since you should have SP3.
If the problem still occurs after reinstalling windows, it could certainly be the videocard.

Game: Generals 2

+
# 3Deagle^ Apr 15 2010, 23:23 PM
Probably a combination of BC2 being buggy and issues with your graphics driver. If XP is taking a long time to boot, I would suggest installing Win7 if you have a copy already.

Game: Company of Heroes 2

+
# 4Kibatsu Apr 16 2010, 06:46 AM
QUOTE(Species8472 @ Apr 15 2010, 23:22 PM) *

Have you uninstalled the previous graphics drivers?

Yes, I've uninstalled my previous NVIDIA driver, including PhysX, rebooted in safe mode and used Driver Sweeper from Guru3D.com to clean the remaining stuff as good as possible.

Link to Driver Sweeper on Guru3D.com

What case do you have? There should be enough cooling in there, at least 3 fans which push and pull the air out.

I have a Cooler Master HAF 922 case with three 200mm fans.

Attached Image
click on the image for details (in German though)

The Twin Frozr II is equipped with dual 8CM PWM fans and quad heatpipes and runs at 28C (idle), haven't checked temps after crashes though, but I highly doubt that overheating is the cases. happy.gif

Attached Image
click on the image for details

Windows XP SP2 means that it is far from up to date, since you should have SP3.
If the problem still occurs after reinstalling windows, it could certainly be the videocard.

QUOTE(Deagle^ @ Apr 16 2010, 01:23 AM) *

Probably a combination of BC2 being buggy and issues with your graphics driver. If XP is taking a long time to boot, I would suggest installing Win7 if you have a copy already.

Yeah, I have a copy of Win7 64-bit, waiting to be installed, so I might give it a try. If the card / Bad Company 2 still isn't working under Win7 I'll probably return the card to the vendor, I still have about 10 days left for testing. smile.gif

EDIT: Of course thanks for your help Species8472 and Deagle^! thumb.gif

This post has been edited by Kibatsu: Apr 16 2010, 06:54 AM

+
# 5Vissario Apr 17 2010, 09:36 AM
Check the voltages, speed and latencies of your memory, sometimes they have to be set manually to be stable.

Game: Generals 2

+
# 6DrTau Apr 17 2010, 10:29 AM
I'm gonna go out on a limb here, but I think the OS is possibly the issue.
I would go with win7 since the OS and card is made for dx11, and BC2 supports it.

I am running an AMD/ATI setup myself, but I have Win Vista 64 with a 4850, and I think the game has only crashed on me like 3 or 4 times since I have owned it. Other then that, I haven't had any issues with visuals.

Game: Dawn of War 2

+
# 7GiDeoN Apr 17 2010, 15:38 PM
QUOTE(DrTau @ Apr 17 2010, 10:29 AM) *

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, but I think the OS is possibly the issue.

This.

Species has already mentioned the Service Pack issue. Kibatsu, if you are running DirectX 10 level hardware (at the very least), why limit yourself to DirectX 9?

At the very least you should have Service Pack 3 installed to ensure your system is up to date in terms of stability (odd this not being the case for you currently....). I highly doubt you'll find AMD write the drivers with Service Pack 2 in mind, they'll probably assume you are running the latest service pack.

If you have Windows 7, install that and see what difference it makes, i really wouldn't even consider running Windows XP with DirectX 11 capable hardware, the 5xxx series actually runs better under the later DirectX versions from what i've seen in benchmarks, certainly better than what you'll get under DirectX 9.

Clan: Order Of The Elites

Game: Hardware

+
# 8Kibatsu Apr 18 2010, 10:37 AM
QUOTE(Species8472 @ Apr 17 2010, 11:36 AM) *

Check the voltages, speed and latencies of your memory, sometimes they have to be set manually to be stable.

Sory for not mentioning it earlier. Memory clocks are all set manually. But thanks you, that you also thought about this. smile.gif

QUOTE(GiDeoN @ Apr 17 2010, 17:38 PM) *

Species has already mentioned the Service Pack issue. Kibatsu, if you are running DirectX 10 level hardware (at the very least), why limit yourself to DirectX 9?

Buying a DX11 card was also the start signal for me to finally install Windows 7. In fact, this will be my last post here; I'm going to make an image from my system drive now and install Window 7 64-bit afterwards.

So, cya soon. wink.gif

+
# 9Kibatsu Apr 18 2010, 11:39 AM
And here I am again.

Well, I'm still on Windows XP, yay. banana.gif

I don't know, why I haven't noticed this earlier, but as I tried to load Acronis from a bootable live CD it just normally booted Windows instead. So I tried it again, same result.

What happened? My mainboard refuses to recognise my DVD drive, when the MSI R5850 Twin Frozr II is plugged in. I was like WTF.gif, my D: drive is missing, rebooted, checked the BIOS, booted again, just to get a BOOT DISK FAILURE! NO HARD DRIVE DETECTED!. VeryFunny.gif

lol, whut? Remember my error log? "Windows XP Pro SP2 now takes ages to boot". No wonder, when the mainboard seems to have troubles detecting IDE / S-ATA drives.

So I exchanged the card and re-inserted my (read: my girlfriend's laugh.gif) Gainward GTX 260 Golden Sample again; system booted as fast as ever (no more 2 minutes staring at the POST screen). wub.gif

I'm going to search for a BIOS update for my Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS4, if I can't find one, I'm ditching the card and stay with my NVIDIA card.

Thanks my first, factory-overlocked MSI 8800 GTX which sometimes got 105C hot, I promised myself to never buy a MSI card again; thanks to my two laptops, one with a NVIDIA, the second with an ATi, which gave me tons of driver troubles, I promised myself to never buy a ATi card again.

Why did I buy an ATi card from MSI? frusty.gif

+
# 10Kibatsu Apr 18 2010, 12:08 PM
QUOTE(Kibatsu @ Apr 18 2010, 13:39 PM) *

I'm going to search for a BIOS update for my Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS4, if I can't find one, I'm ditching the card and stay with my NVIDIA card.

Hmm, this is looking bad for me, there are only two newer BIOS versions available from Gigabyte, with neither of them fixing my issues. post-13661-1143531603.gif

I guess, that just sentenced the 5850 to RMA in my case.

+
# 11DrTau Apr 18 2010, 21:24 PM
That's just weird. I don't understand how a video card could screw with a motherboards ability to detect your drives.

I was googling a little bit trying to find something, but nothing really showed up. There was one, where the guy was saying that it was taking forever for him to install win7, but they were asking about the sata jumpers, and the cable, but that wasn't even the issue...

I also found a post on the bc2 forums last night, about someone having the exact same issue as you, but their solution was to run everything on low, and I guess that fixed it.
Something interesting that someone mentioned in that thread -
"I've been researching this a lot, since i've also had quite some grey screens in other games. It seems there might be a link to Gigabyte motherboards in combination with the Ati 5xxx series as well, but I can not say this for certain."

They also got into a debate about the power supply being an issue, but other people with 1000watt+ power supplies were having the problem too. The OS of the people having the issue as well ranged from winxp sp3 to win7, and they all had 5000 series cards.
http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/428711.page

I don't know what else to say, other then that sucks lol.. I can build pc's and do general troubleshooting, but for something advanced, if google doesn't have the answer, I have no idea what to do generally.

I hate not being able to offer a solution because of the fact that my 4850 has been such an awesome, reliable card.

This post has been edited by DrTau: Apr 18 2010, 22:09 PM

+
# 12Kibatsu Apr 19 2010, 06:44 AM
Hmm, at least I'm not alone in this situation. Thanks a lot for your research DrTau. thumb.gif

I'm also the one who is normally building all the custom PCs for my family and friends, but I've never encountered this problem. I know this sounds weird, but it is a reproducible error; plug in the 5850, good bye DVD drive and after several reboots, good bye hard drives ...

Plug in my "old" GTX 260 from NVIDIA and everything works smoothly again. I don't know, who to blame here, ATi, MSI, Gigabyte or myself for changing a running system. post-13661-1143531603.gif

+
# 13BravesToaster Apr 19 2010, 09:37 AM
I'm currently running the GTX 260 from EVGA i believe, dunno why you found it necessary to switch, but anyway, tech support time!

First, if your motherboard is old, it may not support your card. I had problems installing multiple SATA drives once simply because my mother board didn't like the newer drives, had to work some voodoo magic with the cables. It sucked.

Also, try removing all your graphics drivers, cleaning the fragments (unnecessary but why not), and re-installing.

Make sure your BIOS is up to date/installed properly. This is almost never a problem, but it may well be if you're having boot up problems.

Don't think cooling is your problem either tongue.gif. The reason many people by MSI is actually because they have more fans than other cards, although personally I find them to be way more unreliable, partly because they always manufacture with WAY too much paste, and usually f*** up after a year. If you're going to switch cards, I would suggest EVGA for sure or ASUS (although one of my old ones had to have the heat sink replaced manually which sucked).

Could also be a power problem. You may not have enough to run all your devices, which could be why your hard disk is failing with your larger MSI card. The reason I run the 260 GTX is for that very reason, as opposed to some of the larger Nvidia cards, since it consumes relatively less power.

Anyway, good luck tongue.gif.

+

Enable email notification of replies |  Enable Smilies |  Enable Signature

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)