Explore GameReplays...

StarCraft 2

So anyone knows how much money WoW is making?

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1uzsibox Oct 21 2011, 19:44 PM
Seems to me that Blizz's 90% of its income is coming from wow. Does anyone have any concrete numbers about an estimate of wow's income?

Game: Dawn of War 2

+
# 2Flopjack Oct 21 2011, 20:55 PM
Subscribers * monthly fee * months in a year.
12 million (?) * 15$ (?) * 12 months =
2,160,000,000 is what my calculator shows.

That's super rough, and even if that number is right there's lots of costs that factor in like server upkeep and paying employees. What's safe to say though is WoW is funding the party. smile.gif

It's probably also safe to say that Kotick doesn't want to disrupt this nor make anyone at Blizzard unhappy. Company culture is too thick, almost like a family, and to upset that would reduce his profits.

This post has been edited by Flopjack: Oct 21 2011, 20:56 PM

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 3JimRaynor Oct 21 2011, 21:49 PM
as stated during a previous investor call....

WoW brings in $1 of every $3 the Activision-Blizzard monster brings in.

So take the revenue totals for ATVI last year and divide that number by 3. This will give you WoW's revenue numbers for 2010.

Calculating the "profit" of WoW is more difficult though.

This post has been edited by JimRaynor: Oct 21 2011, 21:49 PM

+
# 4Flopjack Oct 21 2011, 23:23 PM
Impressive to say the least. What will be more impressive is if they can replicate this success with their next MMO.

+
# 5Garmeth Oct 21 2011, 23:41 PM
QUOTE(Flopjack @ Oct 21 2011, 18:23 PM) *

Impressive to say the least. What will be more impressive is if they can replicate this success with their next MMO.

their next mmo will be a clone of WoW and they're not going to make one for a long time probably.

Why would they? With the blatant randomness of the mmorpg market why would you fix something that isn't broke.

I only see wow being seriously replaced when the graphics became profoundly outdated. But they even improve graphics slightly every expansion so that isn't likely ( and in 25 man raids you can't usually run high graphics anyway)

This post has been edited by Garmeth: Oct 21 2011, 23:41 PM

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 6Mr. Wrex Oct 22 2011, 00:29 AM
QUOTE(Garmeth @ Oct 22 2011, 00:41 AM) *

their next mmo will be a clone of WoW and they're not going to make one for a long time probably.

Why would they? With the blatant randomness of the mmorpg market why would you fix something that isn't broke.

I only see wow being seriously replaced when the graphics became profoundly outdated. But they even improve graphics slightly every expansion so that isn't likely ( and in 25 man raids you can't usually run high graphics anyway)

So wrong, so so wrong.

They have been working on their new MMO project "Titan" for quite some years now, it will most probably be revealed next year since it wasn't revealed this year.

It is going to be a major break from WoW and not supposed to "replace" it, if WoW still has enough subs they will co-exist.

Titan will be vastly different from WoW, most probably will take on the "next gen" MMO style with no clearly defined roles and no dungeons but more open world events and bosses and stuff.

Game: Dota 2

+
# 7Garmeth Oct 22 2011, 00:55 AM
QUOTE(Scetch @ Oct 21 2011, 19:29 PM) *

So wrong, so so wrong.

They have been working on their new MMO project "Titan" for quite some years now, it will most probably be revealed next year since it wasn't revealed this year.

It is going to be a major break from WoW and not supposed to "replace" it, if WoW still has enough subs they will co-exist.

Titan will be vastly different from WoW, most probably will take on the "next gen" MMO style with no clearly defined roles and no dungeons but more open world events and bosses and stuff.

"by make" I should change that to release.

If its only being revealed next year that has potential to add 2 WoW expansions in that time, do you really believe that they would advertise it as a WoW clone, obviously not. I'm saying that it will probably deteriorate back in to WoW. No Nex gen mmo's or even any mmo's have been a huge success in comparison to WoW, the only reason why WoW is popularly played is because its raid and pvp scene is very competitive. At the end of the day most people don't stay playing the same rpg because they fell in love with the character customization, the graphics, or the "world events". Its for the competition and thats why wow is basically the only succesfful mmo

+
# 8uzsibox Oct 22 2011, 01:21 AM
QUOTE(JimRaynor @ Oct 21 2011, 21:49 PM) *

as stated during a previous investor call....

WoW brings in $1 of every $3 the Activision-Blizzard monster brings in.

So take the revenue totals for ATVI last year and divide that number by 3. This will give you WoW's revenue numbers for 2010.

Calculating the "profit" of WoW is more difficult though.

wrong use of words with profit. thx guy thats just lol.

+
# 9JimRaynor Oct 22 2011, 02:09 AM
QUOTE(Garmeth @ Oct 21 2011, 20:55 PM) *

the only reason why WoW is popularly played is because its raid and pvp scene is very competitive.

its successful because people with full time jobs aged 22 to 30 play it and have the ample disposable income to pour money down the drain in something they are casually interested in.

+
# 10Merc Scout Oct 22 2011, 03:42 AM
moved to mess hall

Game: Dark Crusade

+
# 11Garmeth Oct 22 2011, 04:34 AM
QUOTE(JimRaynor @ Oct 21 2011, 21:09 PM) *

its successful because people with full time jobs aged 22 to 30 play it and have the ample disposable income to pour money down the drain in something they are casually interested in.

but more of those people play wow than other mmo's, that doesn't make sense.

+
# 12IMZiggy Oct 23 2011, 18:55 PM
It was funny there was a leaked report from blizzard that they were making too much surplus money that they could not spend or invest. So I guess there is your answer.

+
# 13Mr. Wrex Oct 23 2011, 19:33 PM
Idk why blizz let themselves get bought by Activision, financially speaking they'd never ever have to do that. Now they are getting wrecked by that company and their vision of making AAA games will slowly go down the drain. sleep.gif

+
# 14JimRaynor Oct 24 2011, 06:57 AM
QUOTE(Scetch @ Oct 23 2011, 15:33 PM) *

Idk why blizz let themselves get bought by Activision, financially speaking they'd never ever have to do that. Now they are getting wrecked by that company and their vision of making AAA games will slowly go down the drain. sleep.gif

Activision fulfills the same role davidson and associates did. It allows their top tier execs to stick to game making and not worry about the distribution aspect of selling entertainment software. This aspect is a full time job all by itself and requires completely separate expertise.

Blizzard still takes an eternity to make games.
In fact, their game making process is slower than when Davidson and Associates published for them.

QUOTE(IMZiggy @ Oct 23 2011, 14:55 PM) *

It was funny there was a leaked report from blizzard that they were making too much surplus money that they could not spend or invest. So I guess there is your answer.

it was not a 'leak' it was stated in plain english in the middle of an investor's report.
the last place u r ever going to hide something is inside the quarterly financial statement.
every line is examined with a fine tooth comb and it is published according to USA federal standards because ATVI is a publicly traded company on NASDAQ.

This post has been edited by JimRaynor: Oct 24 2011, 07:00 AM

+
# 15Mr. Wrex Oct 24 2011, 07:27 AM
QUOTE(JimRaynor @ Oct 24 2011, 07:57 AM) *

Activision fulfills the same role davidson and associates did. It allows their top tier execs to stick to game making and not worry about the distribution aspect of selling entertainment software. This aspect is a full time job all by itself and requires completely separate expertise.

But when D & A published for them, you knew they had 100% control over when they release their games, how they release their games and how often.

Now with Bobby Kotick applying his fiery whip to the backs of Blizzard, you'll notice a sudden increase in game-releases: new WoW xpack will not hold true to the 2 year cycle; Only 2 major raid patches for Cataclysm (record low for blizzard, but guess what, free content costs money, why not just pump out another xpack? :greedy: )...

D3 seems pretty polished, so I guess that game is good to go, HotS Idk, not following that game. However, I've noticed that trend with WoW, increased focus on extra-income generating things like purchasable pets and expansions rather than free content patches. I mean, it's not like we're already paying 15$ per month, right? rolleyes.gif

+
# 16JimRaynor Oct 24 2011, 19:40 PM
QUOTE(Scetch @ Oct 24 2011, 03:27 AM) *

Now with Bobby Kotick applying his fiery whip to the backs of Blizzard, you'll notice a sudden increase in game-releases: new WoW xpack will not hold true to the 2 year cycle; Only 2 major raid patches for Cataclysm (record low for blizzard, but guess what, free content costs money, why not just pump out another xpack? :greedy: )...

D3 seems pretty polished, so I guess that game is good to go, HotS Idk, not following that game. However, I've noticed that trend with WoW, increased focus on extra-income generating things like purchasable pets and expansions rather than free content patches. I mean, it's not like we're already paying 15$ per month, right? rolleyes.gif

As WoW ages Blizzard gives away more and more initial content for free. I think you can get to Level 20 as a character for free now and see more and more `world space` than ever before for free. This is balanced out by a record low in major raid patches as you've noted. Blizzard is forced to do this as WoW ages. Overall they are still giving away approximately the same amount of stuff regarding a WoW player.

Regarding Kotick
actually the opposite it true.
WoW was an unbelievable money making machine before Kotick ever arrived.
the last thing he wants to do is screw up the money train and get blamed for it.

What Kotick will do is cut funding as soon as he senses "the street" is bored with a franchise.
Guitar Hero, DJ Hero and the British guys making Blur disappeared in a hurry.

Kotick's record so far has been as a cost-cutter not screwing around with release dates.
Kotick's track record has always been as a cost-cutter.

Its a smart move for Kotick to position himself this way regarding how Activision interacts with Blizzard.

One thing I like about him is that he is not afraid to admit he has made an error and correct it quickly rather than spending good money after bad. This is a trait shared by Blizzard as they've cancelled three games in the past 20 years that have had more than 2 years in development. Morhaime may talk like a dork at these Blizzcons but he's got balls. He proved it when he shelved SC:Ghost after hiring 3 developers and buying a console-centric studio to make it.

+
# 17uzsibox Oct 25 2011, 00:19 AM
QUOTE(Scetch @ Oct 24 2011, 07:27 AM) *

But when D & A published for them, you knew they had 100% control over when they release their games, how they release their games and how often.

its the same fable of why cigs & mcdonalds is expensive. u sell shit for how much you can sell it. if you can literaly sell shit for 1000$/kg then you will sell shit. capitalism baby

+

2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)