Explore GameReplays...

CNC Zero Hour

D3d8to9 + Gentool 7.9 = soft crash when starting 4-player skirmish

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1mrtnptrs! Dec 2 2019, 08:14 AM
This happens only when you use the d3d8to9-wrapper as a proxy-DLL AND Gentool 7.9. Without Gentool this doesn't seem to happen and the wrapper seems to function normally. Thus something Gentool does when loading a skirmish game causes a soft crash in the d3d8to9 wrapper. By the way: I tested with the latest release-version of the wrapper. I also compiled the latest commit to the master-branch of the wrapper and tried it, but this caused the terrain not to render; buildings were there (although glitchy), but the rest was black. I would very much like to use this wrapper as it seems to fix the second-time-alt-tab-crash-issue I reported: https://www.gamereplays.org/community/index...howtopic=999775 (with an account of which I forgot the username, oops)

What happens: start a 4-player skirmish (with just CPU-partners) and as soon as you start the match it gets stuck on the loading screen with the music still playing or it gets just past the loading screen, but then freezes also with the music on. So, a soft crash occurs at loading the skirmish match; seems to happen most when trying 4-player-matches and especially when one of the CPU-partners is GLA.

Xezon, can you reproduce this? If not, I could do more research to get better reproduction-steps for you?

It is by the way awesome that you are still updating Gentool once in a while to fix stuff and add extra awesome maps! smile.gif

Edit: I also encountered this bug with Gentool 7.8, so it is not a regression in the 7.9 update specifically.

This post has been edited by mrtnptrs!: Dec 2 2019, 08:49 AM

+
# 2xezon Dec 2 2019, 09:16 AM
Hi.

What is a soft crash?

May I suggest you use Windowed mode instead of d3d8to9 + fullscreen? Windowed mode is better in any regards and will solve all sorts of issues. Only border scroll will not work any longer.

Good to hear it is no new issue at least.

Clan: MENTAL

Game: CNC Zero Hour

+
# 3mrtnptrs! Dec 2 2019, 09:49 AM
QUOTE(xezon @ Dec 2 2019, 09:16 AM) *

Hi.

What is a soft crash?

May I suggest you use Windowed mode instead of d3d8to9 + fullscreen? Windowed mode is better in any regards and will solve all sorts of issues. Only border scroll will not work any longer.

Good to hear it is no new issue at least.

Soft crash is like the game is not responding to any input anymore and freezes up completely, but doesn't fully crash (thus that Windows never says "Generals.exe is not responding"). Then also Generals takes priority over any program opened in Windows: you can use alt-tab, but Generals will then always be on top of everything if you get that soft crash. You can't even reach the desktop or the task manager. The only way it seems to get back to the desktop is to log out, causing all programs (including Generals) to be closed. After logging back in, you are back at your desktop.

Using windowed mode with "fullscreen" enabled in Gentool is a good workaround for the alt-tab crash problem, although I very much like border scroll. Well, then I just can't alt-tab out of the game anymore when playing with real fullscreen on haha. Would it be possible for the "fullscreen windowed" option kind of keeping the mouse cursor in the window and in this way making border scroll working even in windowed mode? Because if that would be possible, there would be absolutely no reason anymore to use real fullscreen.

This post has been edited by mrtnptrs!: Dec 2 2019, 09:54 AM

+
# 4xezon Dec 2 2019, 11:16 AM
Hmm ok no input you say. This could be a bug in GenTool that needs fixing. Does it also happen with GenTool + Skirmish without d3d8to9?

+
# 5mrtnptrs! Dec 2 2019, 11:59 AM
QUOTE(xezon @ Dec 2 2019, 11:16 AM) *

Hmm ok no input you say. This could be a bug in GenTool that needs fixing. Does it also happen with GenTool + Skirmish without d3d8to9?

I tested this a few times with d3d8to9 without Gentool it all seems to work perfectly. Are you able to reproduce my problem using Gentool + d3d8to9? Just try to start 4-player skirmish matches a lot of times with different factions and you should be able to reproduce the problem. If not, you could maybe take a look at it through Teamviewer later this week? By the way, I can reproduce this issue on both my laptop and PC. So, it is not a device-specific issue.

This post has been edited by mrtnptrs!: Dec 2 2019, 12:02 PM

+
# 6xezon Dec 2 2019, 12:00 PM
Can you upload d3d8to9 dll and image of Skirmish setup?

+
# 7mrtnptrs! Dec 2 2019, 12:07 PM
QUOTE(xezon @ Dec 2 2019, 12:00 PM) *

Can you upload d3d8to9 dll and image of Skirmish setup?

I will send that image of my Skirmish setup to you tonight or tomorrow smile.gif I use the 1.9.2 release DLL-file of d3d8to9 (https://github.com/crosire/d3d8to9/releases/download/v1.9.2/d3d8.dll Renamed to d3d8x.dll of course. This is the latest stable release). Thank you for wanting to take a look at this.

+
# 8mrtnptrs! Dec 3 2019, 14:55 PM
Ok, with this configuration I got the game to freeze after a few seconds getting into the map and one time it even crashed (Generals just close off without any warning). This all while using d3d8to9. Without it/with only Gentool, everything seems to be fine.

Are you able to reproduce this problem or do you want some extra information from me about this? I would love to help smile.gif

This post has been edited by mrtnptrs!: Dec 5 2019, 13:16 PM

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+

2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)