Explore GameReplays...

Hardware

Generals on Windows 10

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1toncica Mar 14 2021, 00:40 AM
If you know a way to run Generals on Windows 10, please share.

I have always managed to get the (German) CD version of Generals, which I bought in 2003, to run throughout the different Windows versions. But with Windows 10 I have hit a brick wall. Even with all the hints I found online applied I never was able to make my original General version run on Win 10. Eventually the hints helped to get a Russian pirated copy run on Win 10, and even then it had to run on windowed mode. That solution is not ideal, so I'd appreciate some insight about the proper way to run Generals 1.08 on Windows 10.

Game: CNC Generals

+
# 2ScOtSmAn Mar 14 2021, 04:41 AM
I'm not really sure about CD version/german as I've been using the origin version but have you tried gentool? that fixes a few bugs and unlocks higher resolutions and stuff so might help. I'll link Leikeze here as he seems to pretty good with this kinda thing, hopefully, he will have an answer smile.gif

Clan: iWuB

+
# 3toncica Mar 16 2021, 00:31 AM
Yes, I've been using Gentool for a long time. It doesn't make a difference in this case. My original CD version doesn't run with or without it in Windows 10. The other pirated copy runs with Gentool, but it produces a "serious error" every time I go to desktop, unless it runs in windowed mode.

I'd like to use my original version because it is the rare uncut German version. I'm used to the shortcuts, it was hard to get back then and it cost a premium.

+
# 4ScOtSmAn Mar 16 2021, 05:57 AM
Have you tried the options file fix?

that would work for earlier versions in win 7 etc, might be the same for 10. I've no experience with the german version.

there is a fix for the serious error when going into windows mode found it in the zero hour section while seeing if they had anything about your issue! (I've had the same one)

Also, I think in Windows 10 you need to work around not using a CD if you've not already, don't think a CD version of the game would run unless you can find a way to run it without the CD

Clan: iWuB

+
# 5toncica Mar 16 2021, 23:37 PM
Yes, I took care that the options.ini file is fine. In fact my Generals CD version (which doesn't run) and my pirated Generals (which runs) use the same "Command and Conquer Generals Data" folder and thus the same options.ini file. They both even use the same modified generals.exe which is a no-cd crack that I have been using since day one because having to insert a CD to play the game is just silly.

Thank you for you effort. I'll try again and if I ever get to run the CD version of Generals on Windows 10 I'll share it here. smile.gif

+

2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)