Explore GameReplays...

Company of Heroes

Units coordination

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1Partizzzan Feb 1 2013, 22:59 PM
Hello everybody .

Company of heroes has very important tactical keys like controlling the centre of the map , remaining in cover or harrassing fuel points .
According to me , one of the most important and difficult is unit coordination . Could you share your profound views and ideas about how to coordinate units during
a game for maximum effectiveness , whether it would be in attack or in defense ?

Thank you very much .

+
# 2TrueLancer Feb 3 2013, 08:49 AM
I'd say something that's important is understanding what IS a unit in COH.

Each unit is a single vehicle or a discrete number of soldiers. Those soldiers are mostly the same (different units can have different weapons amongst them, even without upgrades) and it's worth getting to know the differences between the weapons. However, the 'unit' it self is actually much trickier than the little floating icon would have you believe.

For example, the entire health of the unit is tracked in the little bar up top. But it's the sum of all the soldiers' health. Each individual soldier in a unit has his own health and he becomes a casualty (either injured or killed) when his own health drops down. You can order a unit to focus-fire another unit, but, in general, you can't order a unit to focus-fire a single individual (unless it's a squad with only one member or a one-man unit such as a sniper or officer).

Soldiers tend towards cover. They'll move to avoid incoming fire once and they'll readjust if they can to avoid more fire. Also, some attacks (mortars, tank shells, sniper shots, anything that explodes, etc.) will cause the squad to panic away from the point of explosion and seek cover again. It's worthwhile trying to expose the entire squad to fire as well as getting the entire squad in cover, since six heavily wounded riflemen put out as much damage as six fully healthy squads. What you definitely don't want happening is leaving any members of your squad to be 'picked off' by enemy fire. For example, if you have a rifle squad at a building corner and the squad is under fire but only one man is exposed, he'll receive all the damage and die much faster than a squad that comes around to engage, since the shots get distributed overall.

In engagements, forcing a squad to retreat makes the difference in a fight. Even average players will retreat an injured unit, but the trick is that they're retreating the unit to protect their investment. If you retreat rifles, for example, you might be sending one or two men back so that you're getting cheaper reinforcements instead of buying a whole new squad. Alternatively, it might turn out that the squad is at 10% health but has six members still and you want to avoid manpower loss by healing them up. Either way, that's fewer men in the fight shooting.

When a squad moves, there is a 'squad leader'. That's the guy with the icon and that's the guy that determines where the squad will center itself. He's also the one who throws the grenade. If he dies, somebody will replace him. You can see this 'field promotion' happen when the soldier chosen to replace the leader is FAR away from the soldier who just died - the little icon will jump a far way. You can also see this when a soldier stops firing for a moment to throw a grenade, but dies before he's thrown it. Somebody else will get the icon and start to throw a grenade.

Knowing who is the grenade thrower is important because he's the one who the little range-circle comes around. Sometimes, you'll get situations where some soldiers are in cover in one location and the squad is 'strung out' over a distance, such as along a green-cover wall. If the squad leader is at one end of the wall, the last guy back, and you want to throw a grenade at some enemies that are touching the soldier in the squad at the other end, the whole squad will actually move forward to 'get into range' of a grenade throw. This is important, since one trick to noticing a grenade throw is watching for the throwing animation - sometimes, a squad will be standing just outside grenade range in cover, and then suddenly, the entire squad moves forward and then mysteriously stops in the open. That's your cue to watch for a grenade thrower and dodge. If you know this, you can actually try to position your men so that nobody will move when you chuck a grenade.

Additionally, I think the 'squad leader' has some importance when it comes to targeting units, such as where the grenade gets thrown when you click on a squad (as opposed to a location), but I don't know off the top of my head how that works. If anybody does, feel free to chime in.

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 3Partizzzan Feb 4 2013, 21:16 PM
Thank you TrueLancer for all these explanations . I did not know these facts about grenade throwing and squad leader .
Has anyone else personal ideas about combination of regular infantry like riflemen or volksgrenadiers with support units
like mortars , snipers and machine guns ?
And what about combination of vehicles with artillery and infantry ?

I know there are already on the forums a lot of ideas about units coordination , but sometimes they are just basic , like
having infantry supporting the tanks to protect them from anti-tank infantry or anti-tank guns .
Do you guys have witty , more in depth suggestions for that matter ?

Thanks .

+
# 4jmarks2001 Feb 5 2013, 14:21 PM
QUOTE(TrueLancer @ Feb 3 2013, 08:49 AM) *

In engagements, forcing a squad to retreat makes the difference in a fight. Even average players will retreat an injured unit, but the trick is that they're retreating the unit to protect their investment. If you retreat rifles, for example, you might be sending one or two men back so that you're getting cheaper reinforcements instead of buying a whole new squad. Alternatively, it might turn out that the squad is at 10% health but has six members still and you want to avoid manpower loss by healing them up. Either way, that's fewer men in the fight shooting.

Now this is interesting to me. I'm relatively new to COH, only been playing for about a month, so this might be common knowledge to more experienced players. I've always kept an eye on the squad's health bar during the fight, and paid less attention to the number of squad members. I've been playing mainly as the Wermacht, and it actually happens quite often in an early engagement where I'll retreat a low-health Volks squad only to realize, once I check on them back at the HQ, that I can't reinforce them because they're already full. I'm then left with the decision of whether or not to spend the munitions on the med kit to heal them (if I even have the munitions) or use them to cap in what I hope is a "safer" area of the map as they're not really fit for fighting.

Would I be better off just "soft-retreating" (ie, moving them out of range) if possible, and using the med kit without completely retreating? Or let's say I'm strapped for munitions, would I be better off letting a few of them die before retreating, so that I could reinforce them with full health squad members. Obviously, the latter option would require me to keep a close eye on them as a 5-man 20% health squad will start dropping like flies real quick.

Thanks in advance.

+
# 5TrueLancer Feb 5 2013, 22:44 PM
Having units in coordination helps to prevent you from being overwhelmed and losing your investment when your opponent rushes in something to counter something of your own. For example, a single MG keeps a bunch of rifles/flamethrowers from overrunning a position and blowing up your bunker/taking your area. A Pak .38 can be decrewed by riflemen (heck, even engineers can do it) but having some volks nearby will keep a single unit from killing the Pak (or, at least, it'll chase them off, since the rifles are shooting at the Pak instead of fighting with the volks, leaving you time enough to push the rifles away, recrew the Pak, or at least give it enough time to get more towards friendly territory instead of losing your ATG).

Concerning med kits: I'd say "it depends," jmarks. Can you afford to retreat your squad now? Do you have extra manpower or extra munitions? Also, just popping the med kit is no guarantee that the squad will survive, since it only gives back health and not squad members. There's nothing worse than popping a med kit, having everybody get slower, then being focused down by enemies... you can't even run away at full speed due to the med kit's effects.

On the other hand, dropping back a mostly full squad and using some ammo to bring their health back up might let you turn a route into a victory.

I *think* Vet 1 for combat units gives you slight regeneration. It's worth getting if you have lots of combat soldiers out there, since that extra health pays off and stops you from taking casualties over time.

+

2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)