Explore GameReplays...

Battle for Middle Earth 2

Persistent OUT_OF_MEMORY Error

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1Xandercoff Aug 1 2017, 00:43 AM
Hello all,

Upon installing BFME2, ROTWK 2.01, and Edain (up to date 4.4.1), I have consistently encountered this error. Screenshot 36

I run Windows 10 on my MSI ge62, with a NVIDIA 960, 2gb DRAM, and 8gb ram. My NVIDIA graphics driver is up to date, and ROTWK is running on my NVIDIA driver, not my dedicated Intel graphics driver.

I have searched the internet profusely and have attempted the following solutions:

-redownloading the original game.dat from Mod DB

-the 'option.ini' edit

-using different compatibility versions (both XP, all three Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8)

-I have uninstalled/ deleted all relevant files of Edain, ROTWK, BFME1 and 2, and completely reinstalled

-low graphics settings

-downloading BFME2 Patch Switcher and using Patch 1.06 as suggested, as well as 1.00 or 1.09 to try when despairing.

I have also noticed semi-consistent teal or pink textures; one in a custom hero, and the other involving weapons of orcs.

The game crashes at different times, and seems to crash earlier when I have higher settings and less demanding situations. For instance, Dol Amroth has been my recent test map, because all the objects in it seem to cause it to crash sooner. However, nearly every match I have tried playing crashes.

I am incredibly frustrated with this, and would appreciate any assistance. I just want to play the game at decent settings without it crashing.

Edit: I have also attempted running ROTWK while Edain is uninstalled, and run into exactly the same error.

This post has been edited by Xandercoff: Aug 3 2017, 14:54 PM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+
# 2Psaro Aug 1 2017, 12:20 PM
Hmm did you check your memory when playing bfme2/rotwk in task manager? Do you have anything else running in the background what's eating up your memory? Did you check if your RAM modules are still working fine? Do you have virtual memory enabled (http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2185910/memory-error.html)? Note: the only difference for win10 is control panel --> system and security--> system --> advanced system settings.

About the pink and teal textures that's a problem with your asset.dat. Normally a reinstall would fix it. Don't know what else it could be. Do both of these problems (textures and memory) occur on both bfme2 and rotwk even when you completely removed all edain leftover files?

I can't view your screenshot of the error since there's no link btw.

+
# 3Xandercoff Aug 3 2017, 14:58 PM
QUOTE(Psaro @ Aug 1 2017, 12:20 PM) *

Hmm did you check your memory when playing bfme2/rotwk in task manager? Do you have anything else running in the background what's eating up your memory? Did you check if your RAM modules are still working fine? Do you have virtual memory enabled (http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2185910/memory-error.html)? Note: the only difference for win10 is control panel --> system and security--> system --> advanced system settings.

About the pink and teal textures that's a problem with your asset.dat. Normally a reinstall would fix it. Don't know what else it could be. Do both of these problems (textures and memory) occur on both bfme2 and rotwk even when you completely removed all edain leftover files?

I can't view your screenshot of the error since there's no link btw.

-I haven't checked TM while player, I will next time
-I have and have not had things running in the background when it crashes
-Not sure what RAM modules are
-I do have virtual memory enable and recently upped it to 6000mb (not sure how high I can up it)
-and yes, I recently tested rotwk when edain was uninstalled and it still crashed

I had read somewhere that newer graphics drivers are the problem, something about the script in the game and the way it uses memory, as well as there being a compatibility issue with quadcores? I know very little about all this I'm just repeating what I have heard.

I will try the things you suggested and report back.

EDIT:

Upon testing the memory usage, I played a bit on Minas Tirith and hovered around 800mb, and it was fine, however, seconds into Dol Amroth loading, I hit about 1262mb (and, including everything else my RAM usage is at about 51%) and it crashes. Is it possible that there is a self imposed limit in the game?? It's clearly not my computer lacking RAM that is the problem...

This post has been edited by Xandercoff: Aug 3 2017, 16:22 PM

+
# 4Psaro Aug 7 2017, 16:21 PM
QUOTE(Xandercoff @ Aug 3 2017, 14:58 PM) *

-I haven't checked TM while player, I will next time
-I have and have not had things running in the background when it crashes
-Not sure what RAM modules are
-I do have virtual memory enable and recently upped it to 6000mb (not sure how high I can up it)
-and yes, I recently tested rotwk when edain was uninstalled and it still crashed

I had read somewhere that newer graphics drivers are the problem, something about the script in the game and the way it uses memory, as well as there being a compatibility issue with quadcores? I know very little about all this I'm just repeating what I have heard.

I will try the things you suggested and report back.

EDIT:

Upon testing the memory usage, I played a bit on Minas Tirith and hovered around 800mb, and it was fine, however, seconds into Dol Amroth loading, I hit about 1262mb (and, including everything else my RAM usage is at about 51%) and it crashes. Is it possible that there is a self imposed limit in the game?? It's clearly not my computer lacking RAM that is the problem...

You could try downgrading your graphics driver versions to see if it it's a compatibility issue yes. No it should work on quad-cores since I have one and your cpu is even better than mine. Test your RAM https://www.cnet.com/uk/how-to/test-your-ra...iagnostic-tool/.

What version of DirectX do you have installed??

Edit: 6000 MB virt memory is too low I think. As a rule of thumb its always 1-2x your RAM. You can do this manually or let windows do it see http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2...mory-error.html which I gave you earlier for instructions.

This post has been edited by Psaro: Aug 7 2017, 16:43 PM

+
# 5Xandercoff Aug 11 2017, 04:33 AM
QUOTE(Psaro @ Aug 7 2017, 16:21 PM) *

You could try downgrading your graphics driver versions to see if it it's a compatibility issue yes. No it should work on quad-cores since I have one and your cpu is even better than mine. Test your RAM https://www.cnet.com/uk/how-to/test-your-ra...iagnostic-tool/.

What version of DirectX do you have installed??

Edit: 6000 MB virt memory is too low I think. As a rule of thumb its always 1-2x your RAM. You can do this manually or let windows do it see http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-2...mory-error.html which I gave you earlier for instructions.

I tested my RAM and it found no issues. I checked a couple days ago and I have the latest version of DirectX, and I just increased my Virtual Memory to 16000MB and still had the exact same crash... To be fair it was a unit intensive situation, but I still don't know why my computer can't handle it. I have also tried editing the .exe of ROTWK to a 64-bit, which, I have read, should change the allotted memory to 4gb instead of 2gb.

I will take a look at downgrading my graphics driver.....

+
# 6Psaro Aug 11 2017, 09:01 AM
QUOTE(Xandercoff @ Aug 11 2017, 04:33 AM) *

I tested my RAM and it found no issues. I checked a couple days ago and I have the latest version of DirectX, and I just increased my Virtual Memory to 16000MB and still had the exact same crash... To be fair it was a unit intensive situation, but I still don't know why my computer can't handle it. I have also tried editing the .exe of ROTWK to a 64-bit, which, I have read, should change the allotted memory to 4gb instead of 2gb.

I will take a look at downgrading my graphics driver.....

Ok well atleast that's good news. I don't think it will matter, but instead of manually allocating your virtual memory tick the box let windows manage page file for all drives. You said you tried compatibility mode, but are you running BFME2 and ROTWK as admin?

+
# 7Xandercoff Aug 12 2017, 04:45 AM
QUOTE(Psaro @ Aug 11 2017, 09:01 AM) *

Ok well atleast that's good news. I don't think it will matter, but instead of manually allocating your virtual memory tick the box let windows manage page file for all drives. You said you tried compatibility mode, but are you running BFME2 and ROTWK as admin?

I tried letting windows manage the page files and it seemed to still crash.. I upped the virtual memory to 32000mb now too. I'll try it again. And yes, I do run both games as admin.

+
# 8Xandercoff Oct 2 2017, 04:06 AM
Hello there! I was wondering if anyone might have some time to take another look at this. I have re-installed the game numerous times, checked DirectX, reinstalled my graphics driver, and reinstalled just about everything else on my computer. I've tried letting Windows manage my virtual memory, I've tried setting the max page size 60gb. I cannot figure out what else to do and this is quite exhausting. Any help would be appreciated!

+
# 9Blakeanator Feb 25 2019, 10:44 AM
Did you ever figure this out? I have the exact same issue on all three of my test computers. Usually happens around the 20 minute mark of a battle but varies depending on who knows what.

+

2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)