Explore GameReplays...

Supreme Commander 2

Magnetron

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1WhiteOnyx Mar 26 2010, 21:37 PM
I use the magnetron quite frequently and i noticed that when you are attracting enemy units your own units cannot fire at them but their's can fire back. Is this a bug or do you think it is there for balance purposes?

Game: Bad Company 2

+
# 2Sovietpride Mar 26 2010, 23:27 PM
are they firing in vain, (i.e, missing) or properly?

Game: Supreme Commander 2

+
# 3WhiteOnyx Mar 26 2010, 23:55 PM
The enemy tanks are firing properly and hitting me. Mine are not firing at all

This post has been edited by WhiteOnyx: Mar 26 2010, 23:56 PM

+
# 4Malid Mar 28 2010, 03:33 AM
Sounds like a bug or, more likely, a simple oversight. Could be an intentional bug if coding in the targeting for units firing on magnetized units bogged the system down with all that wonderful math. Instead of making both sides unable to fire, it's possible they decided it was more important that magnetized units be able to defend themselves and fire on the magnetron so the magnetron wouldn't itself be OP.

However, this makes my mass bomb bouncer assault on a player massing magnetrons totally OP.

Magnetrons. They happen more often than you think.

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 5Sovietpride Mar 28 2010, 14:43 PM
Could be it counts the sucking in as a capture ray.
(i.e, a unit being captured is not fired upon)

+
# 6mwalk10 Mar 30 2010, 23:58 PM
Malid is probably right with the math limitation. Firing from a magnetron takes zero additional calculation, since bullets don't get sucked in. However calculating where the unit is going to be after the shot hits while a unit is being pulled with a nonlinear scale is more work. The game probably doesn't have a position function, just an acceleration function; so it would need to integrate to find the target position for each unit firing.

+
# 7Weertangel Apr 3 2010, 22:09 PM
Still, its a deadly building with great range, hell, i even had my commander sucked into one!! (instant death..)

If u combine it with a loyalty gun u have one hell of a defence!!

+
# 8Sovietpride Apr 5 2010, 22:17 PM
Gives cybrans the best turtle imo. Need more than one though. Then spam anti-air (adapters ^^) and bingo, you're done.
They should do - they don't really have any late-game delivery systems...

+
# 9VerTiGo_Etrex Apr 6 2010, 02:17 AM
Won't suck up navy, even if it can walk on land (a.k.a. Cybran LEGS upgrade)

Game: Dota 2

+
# 10headlss Apr 6 2010, 03:41 AM
QUOTE(VerTiGo_Etrex @ Apr 6 2010, 02:17 AM) *

Won't suck up navy, even if it can walk on land (a.k.a. Cybran LEGS upgrade)

Actually it will. I've sucked them right out of the water and through my base. I was targeting a different land based army on the other side of my base. I was quite suprised when the battleships sprouted legs and smashing though my power farm. But the magnetron crunched them up just the same.

+
# 11WhiteOnyx Apr 6 2010, 03:48 AM
Has anyone tried rushing a Magentron before? Does it work out?

+
# 12Supreme_Camper Apr 6 2010, 04:32 AM
It definitely does work out. Did one on seton after upgrading my ACU and pushing forward. Does some nice damage. It may not have been a very fast 'rush' but it still worked out fine in the end biggrin.gif

+
# 13the_big_boss_fish Apr 6 2010, 08:10 AM
on one 4v4 i played, one player fired 3 NUCs worth of tanks into a cybran base, and the whole lot just slid along the ground and got munched... the magnetron is epic.

+
# 14Sovietpride Apr 6 2010, 10:59 AM
If the replay birk uploaded of the epic ffa had worked, you would have seen the power of magnetrons.
He couldn't get near my turtlebase by ground - i simply repelled him.
If he teleported, i used attract.
Had 3 levels of them, gradually extending towards him.
Was the most hilarious thing i've ever done.

+
# 15Weertangel Apr 6 2010, 16:53 PM
the only way to destroy them is using the big experimentals(king cripton enz) since most of the time they are heavly shielded.
just hope they nerf its health a little, damn thing can stil take quite a punch before being destroyed.

This post has been edited by Weertangel: Apr 6 2010, 16:56 PM

+
# 16Nephylim Apr 9 2010, 17:11 PM
Once those magnetrons have a few shields around them, theyre near unbeatable. So a health nerf would be nice.

+
# 17Cooper1991 Apr 9 2010, 18:31 PM
I've successfully beaten them once. It required a hell of a lot of effort though. It was a 4v4 game and I was playing as Cybran and I was naval. I was mass producing battleships. I set my battleships so that the Magnetrons were just within range and waited. When that didn't work because of shields I attacked and targeted the nuke defense silo in the area then used a nuke to crack the defensive shell. If that hadn't worked my plan was to simply sit back and wait till I had enough battleships to overwhelm the shields through bombardment.

+
# 18Sovietpride Apr 10 2010, 10:39 AM
Magnetron doesn't work on naval.
It only works on the cybran navy if it's deployed legs..

I.e, it has to be on the ground of the controllers own free will before your magnetron takes over.

But to be fair to the opponnent, he doesn't know a magnetrons been activated as his units aren't doing any silly or wierd =P

+
# 19Weertangel Apr 10 2010, 12:17 PM
when your units act like they are on an icy slope u know its time to change tactics..

1 way i have used to stop a magnetron from pulling my army's out of my expansion bases( on maps like Boolon complex.) is to simply build buildings or defence turrets to block the most direct way to it, since units have an habit of getting stuck behind them(turrets works best)

+
# 20Coldplay- Apr 17 2010, 19:39 PM
QUOTE(WhiteOnyx @ Apr 6 2010, 05:48 AM) *

Has anyone tried rushing a Magentron before? Does it work out?

Sovietpride built 2 magnetrons vs me on AR 1v1... sucked in my army and my ACU

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)