# 22IDKwhoiam Oct 9 2012, 02:52 AM
QUOTE(DeadKennyIsDead @ Oct 6 2012, 18:58 PM) *

Yeah... also, I'd rather get interesting content some other way, lol

Lol... Isn't that the truth?

Clan: Teh Staff

Game: StarCraft

+
# 23DeadKennyIsDead Oct 13 2012, 02:21 AM
So, apparently if you make major changes to several small intertwined projects that are dependencies for a fairly large website, it's important to also commit, and merge changes into the trunk... cause maybe in two years, when something needs to be changed, no-one will have any idea what you did before, and what functionality they're losing by not having your changes in production any more.

It was kinda a "What the hell?" moment when I realized with the trunk versions of one project were trying to call functions that had been renamed in the other, in classes that were in packages that had gotten renamed, which was followed by a couple hours making everything play together.
Hopefully since the changes were apparently not important enough to commit, they weren't that important. We will see. My manager says he still has the email for the programmer who did this, so he said he'll "contact him and see if he can come in for a few hours sometime, so we can take turns beating him down."

Game: Command and Conquer 4

+
# 24IDKwhoiam Oct 13 2012, 02:59 AM
Rofl, how on earth does someone not commit changes to the trunk? Furthermore, how does someone like that get hired in the first place?

How did you end up fixing the issue? Did you just say fuck it and call the old functions?

What version control are you using?

+
# 25Paradox^ Oct 13 2012, 03:43 AM
Oh. I'm alive.

Game: Left 4 Dead

+
# 26DeadKennyIsDead Oct 13 2012, 15:12 PM
Yay!

Also, subversion, and the only reason it didn't get caught was because it was, like I mentioned, a fairly small program (just a web interface into a DB for changing a couple tables, and some related logic, really), so no-one has even looked at it in over two years, so no-one could realize he had made a mistake.

None of us in the department could even think of a way this could be done though. Nothing is supposed to hit prod without going through code review, and it's kinda pretty much impossible to code review something that isn't out there to see, so he just showed someone at his desk, or he just tossed it out there, and everyone assumed someone else had checked it.

edit: also, yeah, I fixed it by just renaming stuff, and making so it was actually deployable, and put it out for testing to see if the business sees anything missing

This post has been edited by DeadKennyIsDead: Oct 13 2012, 15:39 PM

+
# 27IDKwhoiam Oct 18 2012, 04:03 AM
QUOTE(Paradox^ @ Oct 12 2012, 20:43 PM) *

Oh. I'm alive.

Yay! I'm quite relieved to hear that! How are you feeling? Everything ok?

Also, subversion, and the only reason it didn't get caught was because it was, like I mentioned, a fairly small program (just a web interface into a DB for changing a couple tables, and some related logic, really), so no-one has even looked at it in over two years, so no-one could realize he had made a mistake.

None of us in the department could even think of a way this could be done though. Nothing is supposed to hit prod without going through code review, and it's kinda pretty much impossible to code review something that isn't out there to see, so he just showed someone at his desk, or he just tossed it out there, and everyone assumed someone else had checked it.

edit: also, yeah, I fixed it by just renaming stuff, and making so it was actually deployable, and put it out for testing to see if the business sees anything missing

Wow, that's ridiculous that that happened then.

+
# 28DeadKennyIsDead Oct 18 2012, 11:08 AM
Turned out to not be quite as bad as I originally thought... He did have his changes committed, he just for some reason branched them into an entirely different directory, and never merged them back.
Over a week (4 days of working at rewriting functionality, then finding the branch, then 2 days of merging stuff back, and making it work in our current environment - since it was about 2 years out of date, and wouldn't even build anymore) after my manager said "can you take a quick look at this issue X is having with Y", I think we're good.
I got some overtime out of it. That's always a good thing.

+
# 29Paradox^ Oct 19 2012, 00:51 AM
QUOTE(IDKwhoiam @ Oct 18 2012, 00:03 AM) *

Yay! I'm quite relieved to hear that! How are you feeling? Everything ok?

The first few days after the surgery were the worst of my life. I got through it though and I've been recovering very quickly. Right now, my chest is just sore, but it's pretty manageable and I'm only taking pain killers when I really need it. I just have to get through a month of IV antibiotics and I'm back to my normal self. I'm getting better every day. I think I should get the time machine warmed up.

+
# 30IDKwhoiam Oct 20 2012, 03:17 AM
QUOTE(Paradox^ @ Oct 18 2012, 17:51 PM) *

The first few days after the surgery were the worst of my life. I got through it though and I've been recovering very quickly. Right now, my chest is just sore, but it's pretty manageable and I'm only taking pain killers when I really need it. I just have to get through a month of IV antibiotics and I'm back to my normal self. I'm getting better every day. I think I should get the time machine warmed up.

The Time Machine n1qshok.gif

Glad to hear you're getting better. A month of IV sounds really rough though wacko.gif

I got some overtime out of it. That's always a good thing.

Definitely, and at least you were able to find it and fix it.

+
# 31DeadKennyIsDead Oct 29 2012, 22:34 PM
So apparently if you happen to lose all your keys when you're a few hundred miles from home, it can be a bit of an issue.

+
# 32IDKwhoiam Nov 2 2012, 02:35 AM
Oh shit? What happened?

+
# 33DeadKennyIsDead Nov 2 2012, 11:46 AM
I went up to Houghton, MI for the weekend to visit friends. Walking from one place to another, I somehow dropped my keys. I can't figure out how, I must've somehow had my hand snag them when I took it of my pocket or something.
Anyways, the next day I realize they're gone, so I spend like 5 hours walking up and down the roads in a snowstorm trying to find them. Then I talk to a someone who told me that at like 2:30 that morning some drunk kids had come into a party with some keys they found, talking about how they couldn't find the car they went to (Thank goodness my car was like a mile away).
So, I leave my number with the police in case anyone turns them in, then I had to call work and tell them that I was stuck a few hundred miles away and couldn't use my car until the dealership was open Monday.
Ended up costing like $500 for a stupid mistake, since I had to get new appt keys and car keys, and then a missed day of work which means I'll get little/no overtime this week. And I still can't get into my mailbox.

+
# 34IDKwhoiam Nov 5 2012, 04:52 AM
Holy crap. That really sucks. At least everything more or less worked out though. I suppose it could've been a hell of a lot worse than it turned out to be...

+
# 35Paradox^ Dec 3 2012, 05:39 AM
IDK, I need your advice. My two neighbors, whom I counted on as friends, bailed on me when I went into surgery. Needless to say they hurt me pretty bad. Pretty much they never really tried to get into contact with me. One of them half assed it. Neither made any effort to visit me when I was only an hour away. I gave them the benefit of the doubt but when I came back to school, they were "too busy" to see much of me. Today, I slid the attacked file under their door. It is a 5+ page essay describing what I went through, how they let me down, and my choice to move on from them. My question. Did I go to far? Part of me tells me that I have every right to say what's on the paper, the other thinks that it was probably a bad move, they'd never understand, and I've broken every connection to them in the present and future. What's your honest opinion.

Excuse the typos, I didn't proofread it.

Attached File(s)
Attached File Dear_Neighbors.doc
Size: 49.5k
Number of downloads: 20

+
# 36IDKwhoiam Dec 4 2012, 07:24 AM
Wow, I don't really know what to say. I had a few tears in my eyes while reading that. I don't really think you went overboard, but I don't really know what your relationship with these two is aside from neighbors so it's kinda hard for me to say. I think you were stern in your point but to the point of attacking them so it was probably the best you could've done, minus the last paragraph, that probably wasn't necessary. I think I would encourage you to try to rebuild that friendship if it was as important to you as it sounded in that letter but I understand it's probably hard right now. Maybe down the road, I don't know. I'm sorry you went through all of that buddy and I want to do what I can for you in any way possible even though I'm halfway across the country.

+
# 37Paradox^ Dec 4 2012, 17:32 PM
Thanks man, I appreciate it. To me the last paragraph was necessary. I really did care about them, and they've been some of my best friends for a while, but they're toxic. I need time away from them. If this going to be friendship rebuilt, it has to be from the ground up because they simply weren't there. It was extremely one way for a long time. As cliche as it sounds, I need time to figure out who I am.

But yea, I've showed it to a few people disconnected from the situation, and the advice has all been the same. It wasn't the wrong choice, jut a difficult one. I'll keep you updated if anything happens, but they haven't sent anything back to me, so maybe they weren't friends in the end.

+
# 38IDKwhoiam Dec 5 2012, 06:51 AM
Well that's disappointing if that's the case, hope everything goes well and I'm always here for you.

+
# 39Paradox^ Jan 14 2013, 07:30 AM
Update and some good news. I've been essentially rebuilding my life over the past month and a half. It's unbelievable how much my life has changed, starting with my attitude, since I wrote that letter. I'm still improving, but I spent that time learning to really love myself and not have to rely on other people for my happiness. I don't think I would have learned that if I didn't break off from them. But this weekend I found myself at a point where I learned my lesson but have friends that are angry at me...so I talked to them for the first time in a month and a half. They were surprisingly happy to see me and we agreed to repair the friendship. They told me they missed me, and that they weren't sure how to respond to the letter so they gave me space. So, yay, happy ending.

+
# 40DeadKennyIsDead Jan 15 2013, 12:19 PM
Good to hear it's working out.

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)