Explore GameReplays...

StarCraft 2

SC1 story

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1Flopjack Mar 19 2010, 06:35 AM
OK, this is a refresher for everyone who is unfamiliar with the prequel to Starcraft 2. To the best of my knowledge, I'm going to lay out the story:

Pre game events:
Spoiler
-Long LONG time ago, (before humans existed) a race called the Xel 'Naga decided to create the "perfect race". Their first creation was the Protoss. The Xel' Naga stated the Protoss were: "Perfect in (physical) form". After monitoring their creation, they presented themselves to the Protoss. The Protoss respectively welcomed their creators and the two races lived in harmony for some time. The Protoss then wigged out and began to attack the Xel Naga, who in turned left the Protoss in sorrow. The Protoss then turned on each other and had a 1,000 year long civil war known as the Aion of Strife, or something? Hold that thought for Protoss.

-The Xel' Naga then attempted again to create a perfect race far away and decided physical form is not as uber as 'essence'. The eventually genetically engineered the Zerg. The first successful generation of Zerg were very very tiny parasitic worms which would latch onto any host and take control of it. Long story short, the Xel' Naga hyper charged their evolutionary process which threw the species into overdrive. Species came and went and the Zerg constantly consumed and 'assimilated' species, stealing genetic information and improving their physical attributes. Eventually, a pecking order was established via a single entity, the Overmind, (think giant brain) which some how came to being via Zerg evolutionary efforts. Through a series of pecks through the pecking order, the Overmind ultimately has complete control of the Zerg down the last worm and patch of slime.

-The Zerg became too uber for their home planet as virtually everything was a part of Zerg now. Stealing some space faring creature's genes, the Zerg now had the genetic ability to space travel. The Overmind now sets plunder to planet after planet constantly assimilating new breeds and improving the Zerg race, looking more and more like what we see now; hardened war machines, even though many initial species were harmless animals. All the while the Overmind was gaining knowledge, insight and psionic abilties. It eventually discovers its creators, hides itself from them, then launches an attack to assimilate them/penis measurement contest to make sure it's the biggest baddest mofo around. It wins and that's the last we hear from the Xel' Naga.

-Much time passes. Zerg continues it's rampage across space to better itself. Protoss move from tribal shenanigans to uber technology. It's a ton of time passing, but I don't know how much it is. Earth produces humans. Humans tech up to space marines uberness. Humans launch out criminals and death row inmates into space for science fair project. This is actually who most of the Terran come from; they mostly descendants of these criminals. The crafts veer off course and are lost. Earth doesn't know what happens to them.

-Humans in crafts land and over the next few hundred years, civilize, colonize, monopolize and criticize each planet they come to. The Protoss by this point are floating above and are WTF.gif ing everywhere at how noobish Terrans are at preservation + tech. Zerg comes charging out like an angry football player but stops on a dime because they sense Protoss. Protoss are ohmy.gif: ing at Zerg's presence and the Overmind wants to see Protoss's reaction by dropping some nasties on Terran to infest a planet and the people and try to suck out some human psionic powers for itself. The Protoss see the threat and open fire obliterating the planet's inhabitants. Tassadar lead the Protoss assault and was reluctant to open fire. Terran launch a pathetic counter assault and Protoss scooted back home.

Starcraft begins:
Spoiler
-Terran has all kinds of shenanigans to work through via renegades and Government. The important characters are Jim Raynor and his good friend Sarah Kerrigan. At some point in the story, Terran runs in with the Zerg. (Keep in mind this isn't the collective Terran. Sometimes Terran means certain sects of Terran when referring to Terran in the story mode, but I'm going to skip those details.) Terran are like "You've got to be kidding me." because the Zerg own. By the end of the Terran campaign a few tyrants are overthrown and humanity is a little better off, but have a ton more guns pointed at all aliens.

-By the time the Zerg campaign starts, Kerrigan is captured. The Overmind knew the potential in her becoming a super solider after some dipping her in some goo first. She emerges as Infested Kerrigan and is very powerful. The Protoss have been sticking their noses in at this point and allying with Terran. (not that Protoss ever wanted to kill them to begin with) Zerg says "This is a load." and unleashes some chaos in all directions. They open a can on Auir, Protoss homeworld and it's a fierce battle. As a final flip of the middle finger, the Overmind manifests itself on Auir just because it could. It's main goal was actually to attain more knowledge and genetic advancement from the Protoss. That's why it came all the way through space. It noticed Protoss before Protoss noticed Zerg as Zerg and Protoss share the psionic link. The Overmind's is much more powerful where as the Protoss' communal link is through every Protoss. Select humans also have psionic ability, Kerrigan being one of them, but it's much less advanced than Protoss.

-During the Protoss missions you first run away from Auir saving everyone you can. You try to assassinate Cerebrates (directly under the Overmind) but you can't because they are too uber. You need the help of the Dark Templar; an ancient, exiled sect of Protoss who channel dark energy and hav severed their communal link with all other Protoss. Their order steps forth to help and with both powers combined you pwn Zerg in any way you can slaughtering cerebrates and eventually the Overmind. Woo. Kerrigan begins her rise to power.

Expansion missions:
Spoiler
-Protoss mission are first. This is Protoss realizing they are in too deep and pull a race wide retreat with their tail between their legs. They gather some legendary somethings and detonate an anti-zerg bomb the size of my head and it obliterates all Zerg around Shakuras a Dark Templar planet. Protoss are pwned and quit.

-In the Terran missions, the forces of Earth catch up in a UBER FLEET of awesome to claim all and slaughter all in their way. There is some shenanigans going on in which human is infested and who isn't, betrayal and other crap. There is also some crap going down about Protoss/Zerg hybrids I think.

-In the Zerg missions, Kerrigan punches all non-listening Zerg in the face. Her power level is over 9,000 and Zerg PWNS EVERYONE. They slaughter all remaining humans and Protoss AND the Earth directorate and whoever else stands in her way. She is win. She is hacking. She is Queen Bitch of the Universe™ and there is nothing the other two races can do but run. So they run and hide. Zerg pulls back for 4 years with the victory.

Bad guys win.

During Starcraft Brood War, there is a black dude named Duran who slides in an out of the story, apparently working for 10 sides at once as a double double double double double double double agent. He was responsible for some hero's death and in secret missions discloses that he is a part of a 4th more powerful race. This is where people think he is an agent of the Xel' Naga or Hybrids.

In the Starcraft 2 events, Zeratul, an uber Dark Templar hero, finds out that the Xel' Naga are returning but does not know if they are coming to remedy the situation or open a can of lazors. Either way, if it's anything like the last time they tried to fight they will fall in seconds to the new improved Zerg.

*whew!*

Did I miss anything? Thoughts? It's a really good story.

Starcraft 2: Wing's of Liberty -

Pre game:
Spoiler

Mengsk sets up a government just as absurd as the previous government they over threw, which was created when the Terrans first landed. (Funny how the freed go back to setting up the same government that enslaved them in the first place? Over and over?) Mengsk is trying to hunt Jim Raynor down.

Game starts:
Spoiler
Jim Raynor is cry.gif ing because he feels bad about Kerrigan getting slimed and the innocent lives being tormented by the Dominion; the new oppressive government. Tychus meets up with Jimmy and they catch up. The decide to start looking for artifacts the Mobieus foundation (scientists with lotsa cash) will pay them for. Jim is using the money they get to fund their shenanigans against Mengsk. After getting the first artifact:

Jim: "We gotta wait for my ride: The Hyperion"
Advisor: "doods zerg rush its imba jus run"
Jim: "This is stupid. Let's just log out."
Tychus: "Zerg are douche bags, lets kill em."
Jim: "N00b, we'll be pwned. Let's go."

Matt Horner, Jim's right hand man, rescues them just in time and warp away from the imba. Tychus was like WTF.gif. Most of the missions then focus on getting the artifacts. Jim meets a doctor and her people and you either trust her or you don't. You meet Tosh, a specter secret guy with dread locks capable of slaughtering small children and voodoo dolls on his chest and you either trust him or you don't.

At once point in the story the uber dark templar Zeratul come aboard the Hyperion:

Lights go off when Jim is alone.
Jim: "Stoopid lights."
Zeratul: "Yo dawg, it's me. Zeratul."
Jim: "What's up man. You got a boo boo there?"
Zeratul: "Man, there are some serious hacks coming. I'm talkin' perma ban."
Jim: "Whatchya mean?"
Zeratul: "Take this glowy thing. It's coo."
Jim: "Kay."
Zeratul: "Peace out, bro."

Jimmy smokes the drug looks at the crystal Zeratul gave him and sees the prophecy Zeratul was trying to uncover. Basically, there are Zerg/Protoss hybrids with uber magix hax that pwn all. Everything. Universe over. Zeratul says the only way to prevent this is to basically allow Kerrigan to remain Zerg... which does something in the future to stop the Apocalypse. After seeing all the hacking and magic Jim looks down at his pistol:

Jim: "I need bigger guns."

Mengsk's son, some prince dude, and Jimmy fall into contact and the prince is able to offer him a chance to save Kerrigan. Their plan is to assault Char, the Zerg home world, directly and use the completed uber artifact (made of the other artifacts) for some of their own hacking. The prince's angle is to out do his father by bringing the queen of blades back to a normal human. Jimmy just wants his honey back.

Also, I forget at which point, they manage to leak into the media that Mengsk is actually a douche and his government begins to fall around him.

So, in the final mission, you hold off hax after hax after hax until the artifact is able to PWN the area, killing Zerg and insta-gimping the infestation on Kerrigan. Jimmy and a small squad enter the area to rescue Kerrigan and Tychus reveals himself to be an agent of Mengsk. His deal for true freedom (he is/was a prisoner) was to kill Kerrigan because Mengsk was actually afraid of penis measuring contests. He tries to shoot her but Raynor used Zeratul's uber blocking skillz he learned from a Protoss birthday party which involves blocking a bullet with your chest hairs, aiming for your enemy's forehead, delivering cheesy lines all game long, taking the shot and walking out with your girl in the sunset on a volcanic planet.

Tosh looking at Kerrigan: "Mon, an' I tot my dreads were guud."

This post has been edited by Flopjack: Sep 14 2010, 03:00 AM

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 2Xenith Mar 26 2010, 03:08 AM
I don't think anyone checks this forum, shame because it was a good post. Nice stuff, thanks man.

Is this right though?

-Protoss mission are first. This is Protoss realizing they are in too deep and pull a race wide retreat with their tail between their legs. They gather some legendary somethings and detonate an anti-zerg bomb the size of my head and it obliterates all Zerg around Shakuras a Dark Templar planet. Protoss are pwned and quit.

Clan: Dumbledore's Army

Game: Battle for Middle Earth 2

+
# 3flakshell Mar 26 2010, 16:07 PM
ahh man after listening to your instruction vods / commentaries I can actually hear say those thinkgs out loud.. to funny

quite an epic translation! thanks

Game: Heroes of Newerth

+
# 4beBoy Mar 31 2010, 08:13 AM
weird, I thought Xel'naga first left the Protoss, then the Protoss hit them... at least that's what it says on sc wiki (http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Xel%27naga)

+
# 5evotech Apr 3 2010, 14:12 PM
seems like a decent story

Game: Heroes of Newerth

+
# 6Flopjack Apr 3 2010, 22:51 PM
QUOTE(Xenith @ Mar 25 2010, 23:08 PM) *
I don't think anyone checks this forum, shame because it was a good post. Nice stuff, thanks man.

Is this right though?
As far as I know...

QUOTE(flakshell @ Mar 26 2010, 12:07 PM) *
quite an epic translation! thanks
Np thumb.gif

QUOTE(beBoy @ Mar 31 2010, 04:13 AM) *
weird, I thought Xel'naga first left the Protoss, then the Protoss hit them... at least that's what it says on sc wiki (http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Xel%27naga)
Hmm, can't find that. I can't remember exactly what happened. The important part was that eventually Protoss turned on themselves in a civil war and the Xel'Naga left.

Interesting tidbit about the Xel'Naga. Naga is some mythical snake person and the hieroglyphics Zeratul was looking at in one of the shown Starcraft 2 cinematics shows an engraved snake like being. Perhaps that's what the Xel'Naga look like? It's when he says something like: "The Zerg Swarm came, as was foretold. Now the Xel'Naga who forged us all are returning... but do they come to save or to destroy?" *cue in hydralisk not firing spines, Zeratul karate chops them and Kerrigan comes in all like: "muhahaha, you dumb predictable toss. Why don't you go make more Pylons?"

Zeratul's all like, "Yeah, remember how I killed your precious Overmind, tool?"
Kerrigan snaps back with, "Remember how we raped Auir?"
"I think you're skin is falling off."
"I think you're about seven thousand years old."
Then they get into some kind of name calling contest and there's some explosions or something. I dunno, it went something like that. I'd have to watch it again to be sure.

QUOTE(evotech @ Apr 3 2010, 10:12 AM) *
seems like a decent story
Yeah, it's actually not bad at all. Has some interesting twists and you're never quite sure who will make it out alive through out all Starcraft 1.

+
# 7Merc Scout Apr 10 2010, 03:44 AM
that was actually amazing with plenta of deja vu seeing as i palyed the campain years ago when i was like 10 and couldn't remember anything (WITH CHEATS).

Sooo... no1 knows what the Jel-Naga look like?

perhaps a 4th and final race in the final expansion? taht would sure get the spot light on starcraft.

NEW 4th RACE THAT BASICALLY CREATED THE OTHER RACES!

OOOOO

Game: Dark Crusade

+
# 8MayNotMeanNothing Apr 16 2010, 11:47 AM
This reminds me, I need to complete this too, Freind brouht it for me some months ago, Didnt have time to play it propperly

Currently @ Watch South Park 720p

This post has been edited by MayNotMeanNothing: Apr 26 2010, 20:03 PM

Game: CNC Generals

+
# 9Ormin May 12 2010, 21:54 PM
Nice, this write-up is way better than the blizzard one that they have put on the main sc2 page. "the story so far" i believe its called.

Anyway if xel'naga does makes an appearance in the sc2 single player campaign these forums are going to explode with "OMFG XELNAGA IS GONNA BE NEW PLAYABLE RACE" type of shit. I will quit these forums then for good >:C
nah just j/k

but seriously that would suck.

(and just so you know its been said that there wont be any new playable races in sc2, so dont get your hopes up, this isn't dow series)

+
# 10HavocBR May 15 2010, 18:44 PM
Hey! Good story!

Thanks for sharing! I'm new to Sc world (retired from C&C biggrin.gif) and needed an intro like this.

CHEERS!

+
# 11dexter1ty May 16 2010, 01:43 AM
Yeah haha good-job, nice to have some background for those of us who come from the CNC side tongue.gif

+
# 12Lord Honk Jul 27 2010, 08:37 AM
I loved the epic wall-of-lore in the manual of SC and the story behind the campaigns, but your version sounds much more appropriate for 2010 biggrin.gif

Anyway, nice work making otherwise dry story interesting to read, and I think you got most (if not all) of the important bits together. Nice work

+
# 13asdf999 Jul 28 2010, 13:33 PM

This post has been edited by asdf999: Jul 28 2010, 13:47 PM

Game: Kanes Wrath

+
# 14Alecino101 Aug 2 2010, 01:48 AM
Must say, even though I have finished the SC1 campaigns probably about 4 times. This was an amazing summary, heck, even made me chuckle a few times.

Well done, sir! Well done.

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 15JunkFood Knight Aug 7 2010, 00:07 AM
Thanks I never played starcraft was a good read smile.gif

Clan: Teh Staff

+
# 16R Schneider Aug 7 2010, 00:19 AM
Good stuff! Just one point: Towards the beginning, when P, Z and T start interacting, one might add that the Zerg have always tried to eliminate the Protoss, since they had been aware of their existence from the start, but conversely the Protoss didn't know anything of the Zerg until essentially their appearance in Terran space. The Zerg discover the humans almost by accident on their search of the Protoss homeworld, and realising that the Protoss are too strong for them, they attack the humans first to gain a foothold. To quote from the manual: "If it could assimilate the psionic potential of Humanity, the Overmind would have the ability to combat the Protoss on its own terms."

It's just a curious side-note that the Zerg were attacking the humans from the start with the intention of assimilating some psionic power.

I'm sure you'll find an appropriate way to phrase that in your style ;-)

You also didn't mention Duran and the hybrid in Broodwar!

This post has been edited by R Schneider: Aug 7 2010, 00:20 AM

Game: Command and Conquer 3

+
# 17Flopjack Aug 7 2010, 04:49 AM
QUOTE(R Schneider @ Aug 6 2010, 20:19 PM) *
Good stuff! Just one point: Towards the beginning, when P, Z and T start interacting, one might add that the Zerg have always tried to eliminate the Protoss, since they had been aware of their existence from the start, but conversely the Protoss didn't know anything of the Zerg until essentially their appearance in Terran space. The Zerg discover the humans almost by accident on their search of the Protoss homeworld, and realising that the Protoss are too strong for them, they attack the humans first to gain a foothold. To quote from the manual: "If it could assimilate the psionic potential of Humanity, the Overmind would have the ability to combat the Protoss on its own terms."
I don't think the Zerg thought they were weaker than Protoss, if they did, they would have never made themselves known. I think the Overmind just realized how fragile the situation became with Protoss and humanity in the picture and decided to assimilate the easiest form of psionic available in the area. It already has psionic powers because it used them to detect the Xel' Naga.

You also didn't mention Duran and the hybrid in Broodwar!
Woops, you're right.

OP updated. Added SC2 also!

This post has been edited by Flopjack: Aug 7 2010, 05:22 AM

+
# 18R Schneider Aug 7 2010, 11:02 AM
QUOTE(Flopjack @ Aug 7 2010, 05:49 AM) *
I don't think the Zerg thought they were weaker than Protoss, if they did, they would have never made themselves known. I think the Overmind just realized how fragile the situation became with Protoss and humanity in the picture and decided to assimilate the easiest form of psionic available in the area. It already has psionic powers because it used them to detect the Xel' Naga.

Hey, instead of all the "I think", let's bring in some real arguments, shall we? ;-)

Here's what the first manual says (RTFM - read the first manual):
The Zerg left the lifeless, burning world of Zerus and laid waste to every planet they found along their path towards the Protoss Homeworld. As they progressed slowly through the trackless dark between the stars, the Zerg assimilated only the strongest of the races that they came across. [...]

Despite innumerable victories, the Overmind was greatly disturbed. The Overmind was aware that the Protoss had become a highly psionic race, able to bend and warp the very fabric of reality to their whims. It sought a way to counter the awesome might of the Protoss, but found no answers among the genetic strains it devoured.

On the verge of despair, the Overmind made an amazing discovery. One of its deepspace probes had relayed the location and vital statistics of a race that occupied a series of nondescript worlds, right under the shadow of the Protoss.

The new race, called Humanity, was mere generations away from developing into a formidable psionic power. But the Overmind also knew that Humanity was still in its infant stages, hardly capable of defending itself against the ravenous Zerg. Although a shortlived and seemingly frail species, the Overmind knew that Humanity would be the final determinant in its victory over the Protoss. If it could assimilate the psionic potential of Humanity, the Overmind would have the ability to combat the Protoss on its own terms.

Note how the Zerg only learned of the Protoss' power while they were already on their way! All they know from the XN was that the Protoss existed and that the two species were poised for an eventual conflict. Whatever information the Zerg got from the XN, it didn't show them the full power of the Protoss. It actually says that the Overmind was "on the verge of despair".

+
# 19R Schneider Aug 7 2010, 11:08 AM
Zeratul, an uber Dark Templar hero, finds out that the Xel' Naga are returning

I'm getting a bit worried and confused now. Could anyone please cite some sources for the claim that the Xel'Naga reproduce by creating new species and having those species splice together to form the next generation of Xel'Naga? I've read this several times now (e.g. on the StarCraft Wiki), but if you put a gun to my head, I couldn't say where that's corroborated in the games. I think that SC+BW never mention this idea, and the hybrid there is a total mystery. Zeratul only seems to find out that the hybrids will eliminate the Z and P, but does he (or anyone) ever state that the hybrids are the next XN generation? Does it say anywhere that the XN cannot reproduce naturally?

(Edit: Oh, checking the references in the Wiki page, it seems that that bit came from some novel. Crap. Are those novels authorised canon? Maybe we should hold off for now making the connection between the hybrid and the XN. If it's true, this should be made clear in the next episodes.)

This post has been edited by R Schneider: Aug 7 2010, 11:10 AM

+
# 20Flopjack Aug 7 2010, 19:13 PM
Well, then it doesn't make sense if the Overmind knew it was weaker but made himself apparent anyway. It should have assumed by the time it noticed the Protoss they already knew of it's existence, so why make a move? Desperation?

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)