Explore GameReplays...

Supreme Commander

How Long Will This Game Last?

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1Supertribe Mar 10 2008, 08:38 AM
I was thinking about how many fun RTS's communities just died, then FA came to mind. How long do you think it'll last? If not forever post-13661-1143531603.gif

Game: Supreme Commander

+
# 2Poita_ Mar 10 2008, 10:34 AM
Well, depends what you mean by "last". There will be players that will play it until Sup Com 2 comes out, so it's never going to completely and utterly "die".

I think once Starcraft 2 comes out a lot of players will leave, but I think there will always be a community.

Game: Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance

+
# 3Togra Mar 10 2008, 14:21 PM
I'll buy StarCraft II for sure (it will probably be worth the price for the CGI cutscenes alone) but I don't see myself sticking to it as with SupCom/FA. Just like many other people I have other expectations from an RTS ever since the original SupCom beta came out.

The real problem for the game's lifespan in my opinion is how GPG will handle the franchise. It's clear that players aren't satisfied yet and that they want more (balance, units, game/GPGnet features, you name it). Forged Alliance could use a good patch and GPGnet needs freshening up but the real turning point might be the second addon. Let's face it, only a new addon will force GPG to come up with something decent because it can earn them money (free updates and patches usually don't).

The community needs something to look forward to and if The Experimentals does come out then it should be the ultimate SupCom experience with improvements and new content on all levels. Seeing how busy GPG is with other PC projects, I don't know how they will be able to do that. We can only hope.

EDIT: as for what can make the game last forever (could be seen as a wishlist for The Experimentals as well):

- Galactic Wars multiplayer mode
- more interface features (events, notifications, certain things that are already modded in by some fans)
- more engine optimisations (better performance, less crashing in huge games)
- more unit roles (this could be anything, just play TA+CC to get an idea)
- decent balance
- better documentation for (new) players (in-game encyclopedia, a good and interesting tutorial)
- random map generator
- multiplayer saves

There are a couple of very basic RTS-features in that list.

This post has been edited by Togra: Mar 10 2008, 14:31 PM

Game: Dawn of War 2

+
# 4Supertribe Mar 10 2008, 15:45 PM
imo I don't think Supreme Commander 2 will come, maybe in the time between TA and SupCom but I just don't think FA did well at all commercially.

Yeah I agree Starcraft II does look pretty nice, and will attract a lot of players, can't really say the same at Red Alert 3 however.

This post has been edited by Supertribe: Mar 10 2008, 15:47 PM

+
# 5Necrosjef Mar 11 2008, 12:42 PM
Nice topic.

For me Supcom is a pretty active game but it suffers from one large problem in particular.

Quality of opposition is just dreadful. There seems to be a pool of around 50 or so players at the top level and everyone else is just really terrible. No offence to those people but thats how the community is spread.

When I played ranked 90% of my games are totally 1 sided against players than I trounce, 5% are against players who fightback but not much and 5% are against players who are better than me and deserve to win.

It should really be 100% of games against players that are equal level to me, but due to the lack of players who play at a high level then it must be against noobs all the time.

All the 4v4 setons clutch noobs only games really say it all for the supcom community. Too many noobs not enough serious players.

GPG could change it if they made somesort of attempt at patching the game and adding new stuff but there seems to be like a lag of 3 months when they do anything even something small seems to take an eternity to come out.

Supcom is still the best online RTS at the moment though, just an uneven spread in the community and lack of competition stop me playing it. Ok im not the strongest player ever but I do get fed up playing against the same 10-20 players all the time just to feel challenged.

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 6AncientSion Mar 11 2008, 20:34 PM
Really, a bunch of decent people should join IRC and make a community patch, if only to fix any blatant balance issues. DoW has a project called DoWPro and its made by players AND there are more replays posted using DoWPro than replays posted using stock. Unless GPG fixes this mess, only the community can.

Game: None

+
# 7Poita_ Mar 11 2008, 22:46 PM
QUOTE(AncientSion @ Mar 12 2008, 05:34 AM) *

Really, a bunch of decent people should join IRC and make a community patch, if only to fix any blatant balance issues. DoW has a project called DoWPro and its made by players AND there are more replays posted using DoWPro than replays posted using stock. Unless GPG fixes this mess, only the community can.

TAG have made their own patch with many changes.

The problem with community patches is that you have to get people to play them, and when they're not on the ladder, it gets kind of pointless.

+
# 8Gnats3 Mar 11 2008, 23:34 PM
I think the game will last for a while. There are still plenty of players, and it isn't unusual to see people who just bought the game. As long as GPG doesn't give up on it, FA will survive.

Game: Supreme Commander 2

+
# 9SexE Mar 12 2008, 15:41 PM
Forged Alliance never really took off, you would of thought after Supcom GPG would of made sure FA was advertised but it hasn't

I agree you have a select few decent players i would say closer 100 and then a lot of ppl who are just casual players with no serious intent on the ladder.

Most of this is GPG's fault anyway, FA was such a great improvement but it seems because of the sales they have "pulled the plug" on working on it to fix known bugs and issues since beta
their are not many balance issues only a couple but the bugs and lack of support since FA release will not keep them customers and in this day and age with the internet word of mouth spreads very quickly.

I am not sure i would even buy "The experimentals" let alone another GPG game the way they have supported Forged alliance

3.5 months for the 1st patch to fix any sort of bug, which messed up more than it fixed its almost an insult to the consumer.

I did send them a letter about 3 weeks before the patch came out trying to explain and help them...

This post has been edited by SexE: Mar 12 2008, 15:43 PM

+
# 10Necrosjef Mar 12 2008, 16:51 PM
Yeah I talked with TCC for a while prior to FA release about advertising but as usual all my advice fell on deaf ears, I know FA did generate new players but not as many as it should have.

I still think if supcom had the advertising like cnc3 had then it would have over 10k players on it.

+
# 11SexE Mar 12 2008, 17:18 PM
QUOTE(Necrosjef @ Mar 12 2008, 16:51 PM) *

Yeah I talked with TCC for a while prior to FA release about advertising but as usual all my advice fell on deaf ears, I know FA did generate new players but not as many as it should have.

I still think if supcom had the advertising like cnc3 had then it would have over 10k players on it.

well not to be demoralising to TCC but hes not a true admin from what i see, if you want to talk to admins it needs to be In-Agent, Unclean_beast or SonofShagrat and I would reccomend SoS as hes #2 at GPG

but yeah i think it might be too late now, I just wish GPG would do something drastic and make a patch maybe impliment the communty bug fix patch and try some advertising!

This post has been edited by SexE: Mar 12 2008, 17:19 PM

+
# 12Necrosjef Mar 13 2008, 10:50 AM
Well yeah TCC is only a community manager, but he is really "our" contact at GPG. He used to be helpful pre-FA but since then he hasn't been alot of use.

+
# 13AncientSion Mar 13 2008, 19:03 PM
Poita, can the TAG-Mod be downloaded somewhere ?

Game: None

+
# 14Poita_ Mar 13 2008, 22:33 PM
QUOTE(AncientSion @ Mar 14 2008, 04:03 AM) *

Poita, can the TAG-Mod be downloaded somewhere ?

You can only download it from the vault afaik.

Changelog is at www.tagods.com

+
# 15Lu_Xun_78 Sep 25 2013, 01:42 AM
At least we have the answer to this topic 5 years later smile.gif
The community is still active and alive even if it changed a lot since FA release wink.gif
I don't know how i arrived to this topic, but it's funny to read the fears of this time.

Game: Supreme Commander 2

+

2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)