Explore GameReplays...

Company of Heroes 2

Prioritizing targets

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1SSHeini Dec 6 2013, 08:13 AM

Guys, I don't know if this issue was highlited until now, and I apologize if it was, but I am curious if you saw it untill now.
It's about units not prioritizing targets for wich they are natural counters.

For instance: if a PAK or ZIS AT gun receives fire from an infantry unit and after few seconds a vehicle apears from FOW, the AT gun will continue to fire to that squad instead automatically change target and shoot against the vehicle.

Saw this also at Panther, who will continue engaging the first unit that shoots at it, even if it's an infantry squad, without regard that a tank came two seconds later and began shooting at him (the Panther).

If I remember correctly, speaking about the above examples, in COH 1 both units (PAK and Panther) will turn automatically their fire against the attacking vehicle.

Does anyone saw this untill now?

+
# 2Katitof Dec 6 2013, 11:03 AM
Units don't prioritize targets because there are no target tables in CoH2...
Its a common knowledge since alpha.

Game: Company of Heroes 2

+
# 3rofltehcat Dec 6 2013, 13:32 PM
As far as I know there are priorities but they are calculated from several factors like the target's distance and their weapon.

There is also one entry determining if a weapon fires at support weapons themselves or at their crew but those are set to attack the crew only for basically everything. The Su-85 was attacking the weapon for a while, making them destroy AT guns without too many problems but that was fixed since then.
(They can still hit the weapon if they roll a miss vs. the infantry and score a scatter hit against the weapon.)

I think since on of the last patches, tanks are also auto-switching targets less frequently during movement if you game them a direct attack order of a target and if they keep vision of the target.
It still happens but much less frequently.

+
# 4SSHeini Dec 9 2013, 06:44 AM
QUOTE(rofltehcat @ Dec 6 2013, 13:32 PM) *

As far as I know there are priorities but they are calculated from several factors like the target's distance and their weapon.

There is also one entry determining if a weapon fires at support weapons themselves or at their crew but those are set to attack the crew only for basically everything. The Su-85 was attacking the weapon for a while, making them destroy AT guns without too many problems but that was fixed since then.
(They can still hit the weapon if they roll a miss vs. the infantry and score a scatter hit against the weapon.)

I think since on of the last patches, tanks are also auto-switching targets less frequently during movement if you game them a direct attack order of a target and if they keep vision of the target.
It still happens but much less frequently.

Fair enough, but I still think that in vanilla COH the prioritizing engine was better built. For instance I remember that american AT gun picked on vehicles as soon as they entered in its action range, whithout regard it was in the same time under infantry fire. I think this is quite normal, and a weapon should prioritize from all units in its range, the unit that can be most easilly destroyed by it (because theoretically the weapon itself was built as a counter to something).

+
# 5Dullahan Dec 10 2013, 22:10 PM
QUOTE(SSHeini @ Dec 8 2013, 23:44 PM) *

Fair enough, but I still think that in vanilla COH the prioritizing engine was better built. For instance I remember that american AT gun picked on vehicles as soon as they entered in its action range, whithout regard it was in the same time under infantry fire. I think this is quite normal, and a weapon should prioritize from all units in its range, the unit that can be most easilly destroyed by it (because theoretically the weapon itself was built as a counter to something).

The system is more or less identical, it's just that it has to be configured on a per unit basis.

Game: Dawn of War 2

+

Enable email notification of replies |  Enable Smilies |  Enable Signature

2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)