Explore GameReplays...

Graphics

Lt. R4GE - -null-, CrushNZ

Closed Topic Start new topic
# 1Dr. Dru Jan 21 2011, 02:07 AM
Hello -null- and CrushNZ, welcome to our thread. This is mainly where I will be helping both of you, teaching, and mentoring. First, let's get a happy mood going by dancing! *dances* Okay enough with that crap. Stop dancing now. You can do that later. Alright, first a small introduction of everyone. I mean you barely know me and I barely know you, how is that a good mentor and mentee relationship?!

Lt. R4GE is my gaming handle, I used it for GameReplays.org as well because it's obviously the two words game and replays. I'm not going to get way too personal here like my age, how long I've been using photoshop, other things, my favorite food, etc. Because that's all irrelevant for now. However you may discover things in the future. Except my favorite food, I really don't think it's relevant for you to know that. Unless you are buying me dinner. Then go ahead, ask what my favorite food is.

I use Adobe Photoshop CS5, it's a pain in the ass to upgrade from CSwhatever to CSwhatevernewversion. I also know how to use the basics of Adobe Illustrator CS5.

First, I want to know what each of you want to learn. What is the purpose of you signing up for the mentoring program? If you say "to learn how to make signatures" I am going to crap my self. It will stink, and I will be very sad to smell it. Signatures is only a single percent of the thing you really want to learn. For example if you know how to make a poster, then a signature is no problem. So tell me! What is it you want to learn? Web design? Text effects? Wallpapers? Just basic theories that make everything look better? Logo design? Poster design?

Now to get you both started, we are going to do something really fun here. Just to get started you know. Today, the first lesson is going to be learning about tilt shift photography. I picked it as the first thing to get started because it's very simple what we are going to be learning, but very fun to do. Also very fun to look at. Tilt shift photography is when you use a tilt shift camera to take pictures, and the pictures end up looking like toys. For example, everyone visit this inspiration article. Now that you have seen what they look like go to this tutorial. After that, just take a look at this inspiration article. As you can see all of these were written by the same person Ash Davies, young photographer from Australia. Photoguides is his website where he makes tutorials and articles, I was too lazy to write my own tutorial for Tilt Shifting but my method is the same as his. Feel free to keep reading his website, still pretty new and he works on it alone so there isn't much content.

Try using a picture of a city or something with very small but many things. Like a birds eye view of a busy street. Using this technique on a portrait will result in an ultimate fail. Yes ultimate. And fail. Remember though, this is just fake tilt shifting. It gives same or even better results but it's not the real deal. To do real tilt shifting photography you have to get a real tilt shift lens and everything. Which is very expensive.

Get back to me, and I'll post up some more and more stuff for us to do! Now I want to see those fake tilt shifts you guys are going to fabricate. Here is mine I did a while back. I have a couple, this one is a picture of the city I am living in currently. The second is a tilt shift did of wind power generator thingies. (Changed the coloring so it became very blue, it was not the original picture like that lol)

Attached Image

Attached Image

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 2CrushNZ Jan 21 2011, 03:12 AM
Hey dude! First off thanks for this opportunity, I really appreciate it!

What I want to learn isn't really that specific, I'm more or less interested in what your willing to teach, although creating images/posters/logos is appealing. I'm open to alot. happy.gif

Here is my first attempt. I plan to find some more images and try it again. smile.gif

Attached Image
Attached Image

What do you think?

This post has been edited by CrushNZ: Jan 21 2011, 03:22 AM

Game: Battlefield 3

+
# 3Dr. Dru Jan 21 2011, 03:23 AM
Good good, you can really see the effect right? It works really good on certain types of photos. Like football stadiums. ohmy.gif

Heads up, next couple of lessons are going to be about text effects and how to implement them.

+
# 4CrushNZ Jan 21 2011, 03:25 AM
Yeah, I see what you mean! You could use this to make mock scale models like you see in real life. smile.gif

Awesome.

+
# 5Dr. Dru Jan 21 2011, 04:16 AM
Very good! Not too difficult to make a good looking tilt shift eh? They are so cwuute. I mean... ehm, very good my pupil.

+
# 6number45_ Jan 21 2011, 09:20 AM
QUOTE(Lt. R4GE @ Jan 21 2011, 02:07 AM) *

First, I want to know what each of you want to learn. What is the purpose of you signing up for the mentoring program? If you say "to learn how to make signatures" I am going to crap my self. It will stink, and I will be very sad to smell it. Signatures is only a single percent of the thing you really want to learn. For example if you know how to make a poster, then a signature is no problem. So tell me! What is it you want to learn? Web design? Text effects? Wallpapers? Just basic theories that make everything look better? Logo design? Poster design?

Web design, logo design, poster design and any basic theories that can help make everything look better.

Game: None

+
# 7Dr. Dru Jan 21 2011, 09:52 AM
Next thing we are going to learn is coming very soon, it will help with all of those things. wink.gif Wait a couple of hours.

+
# 8CrushNZ Jan 21 2011, 22:33 PM
I'm looking forward to it. smile.gif

+
# 9Dr. Dru Jan 22 2011, 02:06 AM
Alright. Now we are going to learn about text effects. Text can add a lot of depth to anything and everything, yet they can be distracting and be negative to your goal as well. If it's not the main focal point yet it's way too outstanding from everything else it'll catch all the attention. If it's too boring, but it's the message you want to give out. No one will see it. There is a fine line, a deep balance between the use of text. Right now we are going to learn how to make the glowing text in my signature. This is a great effect to use as a main focal point of an image or even to use just as something conveying a messaage. As you can in my signature it is the main focal point. Now as you can see in this image below I've used the same glow effect to convey the message of Star2.org Tournament. We will do a case study on how both of these work.

Attached Image

Before the case study, first we shall learn how to make the same text effect.
First open up photoshop (this should work perfectly fine with even CS2 and all versions up to CS5). Make a new document, whatever size you want. I used my wallpaper size 1920x1200 because I could use it as my wallpaper if it was to my liking, and since it would be so high-res you could scale it down and use it for something else. Always good to start big. First we going to make the background, very simple effect we are going to use. FYI this is NOT the same background in my signature.

1. Take the paint bucket tool and paint the canvas black! Not red.
2. Make a new layer, now take the gradient tool.

Attached Image

3. Now what you see in that picture should be located towards the top of your screen underneath Files Edit Image Layers etc. From that area in the picture select radial just like I have done. Then next to radial, then next to linear, is something that will say "Click to edit gradient" if you hover over it long enough.

4. From that, select Foreground to Transparent. Select your foreground color as a dark grey now. I use the hex key #333333 usually. Now take the gradient tool and make a slightly large gradient in the center. Now this is hard to do, rulers and guides don't help that much for this in my experience as well. So to get it right in the center... next step.

5. Make a new layer. Select the brush tool, make a white dot. Anywhere, just a dot. Small enough to when it's barely visible. Now get a selection tool (I use rectangular marquee) and select the area around the dot. Just a big square around the dot. With the selection hit ctrl + x which will cut your dot. Now hit ctrl + v and your dot will be pasted back. The only difference is, it's been pasted to the center of the canvas. Make sure when you do this you are fully zoomed out so you can see the whole canvas or else it won't work.

6. Now that you have the dot, go make a new layer or select a layer you made in the past (it just has to be empty) and use the gradient tool to make a dark grey radial gradient! Start in the center, using the dot as your guide, then go outwards and finish. Simple as that to get a centered gradient.

Since your gradient is on a separate layer from the black background beneath it, you can always change the color of just the gradient, and just the black background. This is why we went through the trouble to use Foreground the Transparent. So that we have a separate layer with only the gradient.

7. Make a new layer once again, get your foreground and background color to be back to the standard black and white. Go to Filter > Render > Clouds. Now on your new layer you have clouds! On this layer make it's blending option Overlay. Then we are done with the background!

Now for the text, although it works with all fonts. I suggest using something that is pretty bold, and not too much serif. Either sans serif, or some light serif should work. Medieval fonts are just going to look silly, alright?

1. Make a new layer once again, on this layer select the text tool and write whatever word you want and then either keep or change the color to white. Hex key is ffffff.

2. Now duplicate your text layer, and put it underneath the original. Duplicate another and put it underneath the first copy. Select the first copy and go to Layer > Rasterize > Type. Then on the second layer things are going to get a bit spicy.

3. Select the second copy, double click the thumbnail of this layer. That will take you to blending options. Go to gradient overlay, and set the angle to 0. As for the gradient use these colors in this order. Red #ed1f24 Yellow #fede00 Green #147139 Blue #45a7de. Hit OK, OK, OK, more OKs if necessary.

4. Now you can rasterize the rainbow text layer just like the other. Layer > Rasterize > Type. Now duplicate the layer so you have two rainbow text layers. Now go to Filter > Blur > Gaussian Blur and select the radius to whatever you want. The goal is to just be able to see a rainbow glow behind the white text. Now select the second rainbow text layer, and use the same blur but bigger. A sizable difference type of bigger.

5. Last thing to do now, is to add a 2 or 3 radius blur to the copied white layer. So now you have a very small white glow, a rainbow glow, then another bigger rainbow glow, then at the very top - the original text.

I don't know what level you guys are at photoshop, but if you followed this tutorial perfectly fine then you can follow all the rest of the tutorials coming up. However if this was difficult, and you couldn't understand certain things like where is what and what is that? Then we may have to begin more towards the basics before we reach the more advance things. I plan on making a livestream account or something so we can settle a time when you can watch me do the same tutorials but live. Then we can chat in the little chat box so you guys can ask questions.

Give me a little break, and the case study is next so you guys can learn how to implement this effect correctly if you please. We are also going to learn an alternative way to make this glow.

+
# 10CrushNZ Jan 22 2011, 03:33 AM
Hi R4ge!

Here is my result for your tutorial, hopefully I did it right..!

Attached Image

Attached Image

I chose crappy fonts both times D:

Just before you posted your tutorial I just completed this as well, thought I might as well show you.

Attached Image

Do you have MSN or anything for quick conversations? If you don't want to thats fine.

This post has been edited by CrushNZ: Jan 22 2011, 03:46 AM

+
# 11Dr. Dru Jan 22 2011, 06:27 AM
No, but I do have xfire and skype. Good job, even though you chose skinny fonts it looks decent because of the style those fonts give. Try using the same font but set it to bold. I've seen that tutorial you've just done, good shot at it. If I remember it was from Tutorial9.net?

+
# 12CrushNZ Jan 22 2011, 07:04 AM
Attached Image

^My next attempt. smile.gif

Yeah it was from tutorial9, I thought it looked interesting, so I gave it a shot!

EDIT: Just did this one too, I posted it before but redid it.

Attached Image

This post has been edited by CrushNZ: Jan 22 2011, 07:12 AM

+
# 13Dr. Dru Jan 22 2011, 07:30 AM
Now the case study. Very simple and fast.

In my signature as you can see I used the rainbow coloring and made it very bright. There is a lot of contract between my name Lt. R4GE and the carbon fiber background. To make the background I used the same gradient + clouds overlay. What the clouds does is add a bit of smoke effect and mostly the non even brightness between the middle area. Making it just a bit more interesting. I had an awesome carbon fiber texture which I just put on overlay at the top which gave me this effect. So we got a fairly dark background with some nice texture and contrast plus a very bright colorful text effect in the center. Along with how the outer edges are completely black because of the gradient your eyes automatically focus on the center. Which is thus, where the text is. This is how it was used to become the main focal point of my signature.

In the highlight I showed you for the $200 Star2.org Tournament newspost, I had used a concept art for the base background. I edited the contrast a bit so it was more pleasing to the eye and also the outside edges definitely darker. After using the contrast to really emphasize the darker edges and keep the focus on the main event of Jim Raynor getting his groove on with Kerrigan I was soon told by my boss that the highlight needed the text $200 Star.org Tournament. To keep it pleasing to the eye, instead of using just white text I used the glow effect. The color for the glow was a bright yellow that you could select from the center of the image. Yet I positioned the text in the bottom right corner so it wouldn't take too much attention, yet would have good contrast between the background. The darker area of the edge made it easier to read the brighter text. So we had just made two focal points of the image, the text, and the event with Raynor and Kerrigan. Which is how it caught the eye well enough to convey the message yet wasn't too distracting, nor was it lacking visibility.

Nevermind about the alternative way to making the glowing text effect. It's not going to be very useful, because the original is faster and generally in most scenarios you won't be needing the alternate. I mean... I never use it. So I couldn't even write a good explanation of it!

+
# 14CrushNZ Jan 22 2011, 08:26 AM
Read it! biggrin.gif

+
# 15number45_ Jan 22 2011, 10:51 AM
Instead of glowing rainbow I was going for macabre (although not really the kind of thing glowing text is going to convey)

IPB Image

When you were asked to put text on the highlight did you know the glowing text would work on it or is it just trial and error?

Game: None

+
# 16CrushNZ Jan 22 2011, 10:55 AM
Hey, did another tutorial because I was bored. I'll post my results, because I think it might help you judge where I'm at etc,

I tried out this tutorial: http://psd.tutsplus.com/tutorials/tutorial...ur-photographs/

And here was my result:

Attached Image

I had some trouble with

1. Figuring out how to black and white the picture (feel like a retard)

2. Getting the custom brush thing to look more like his

3. My colour choices

4.Cutting around the leg to put the pattern behind it.

It could have gone better.

This post has been edited by CrushNZ: Jan 22 2011, 10:56 AM

+
# 17Dr. Dru Jan 22 2011, 23:54 PM
At -null- Gj, you don't always have to use multicolors, however that really doesn't go with macabre like you said. Maybe we should learn some dark grungy bloody styles next eh? For the glowing text on the highlight I knew it would work. Cause I made something like that before.

At CrushNZ good that you are exploring. I'm going to give you guys both a list of a bunch of very good tutorial websites that you should be checking out often for good tutorials. When you follow a tutorial, try to make it exactly like in the tutorial. Colors, contrast, texture, background, positioning, exactly like it. Or at least try your best. Then on the second try now that you understand the tutorial, stylize it. Make the second our own. Add your own effects, do whatever the hell you want!

This post has been edited by Lt. R4GE: Jan 23 2011, 00:10 AM

+
# 18Dr. Dru Jan 23 2011, 00:04 AM
PSDtuts+ - My personal favorite, though becoming a bigger site with more tutorials there will be some tutorials that are useless and poor in quality. The rest are awesome. However some really cool ones are off limits because you have to pay for membership.
Abduzeedo - Guaranteed to have like a million posts per day, Abduzeedo spams you with inspiration, roundups, tutorials, fonts, etc. Just try to be able to find the good stuff and not waste your whole day looking at everything.
Spoon Graphics - Warning mostly Illustrator tutorials, but some good photoshop ones too. The weekly favs are pretty nice roundups as well.
Tutorial9 - All about Photoshop and Photography, I liked their old website better but.. eh. They just had to redesign.
Photoshop Star - I am tired of writing these little grey notes, there is not much to say about this site either. Not that they are not good, this site is great! Check out some of the older tutorials too.

+
# 19Dr. Dru Jan 23 2011, 01:45 AM
Okay guys, here are two quick links. Check out these sites for fonts. One of the secrets to design and making things look good is to have a super duper large library of Fonts, Textures, and Photoshop Presets. (Presets are like Brushes, Patterns, Layer Styles, Gradient Styles, etc.) The most popular presets you will find will be Brushes and Patterns. First we start with fonts though. Get some damn good fonts now!!

Urban Fonts - My favorite place to get fonts. Very slick cool modern fonts mostly.

DaFont- One of the first places online where you could get fonts, also the most popular by now. A very large variety, not the best looking site. However it's usable and has quality content.

There are hundreds more places that I probably never even been to, but for fonts... there are so many that the only places you should go to are these two sites. When you know a specific font that you read about or something then you look it up in google and find where you can get it for free. Remember though, some fonts you just have to buy no matter what. Then you make the decision, is it necessary? Do I really need this font?

Also quick lesson, you should know already but maybe not. Just going to clarify and make sure you know.

This is Serif: IPB Image
This is Sans Serif: IPB Image
Credit to Blog.Envelopments.com

+
# 20CrushNZ Jan 23 2011, 07:26 AM
Cool! I'll be sure to try some of those tuts out, I was doing one, but then photoshop crashed and I lost it all though. post-13661-1143531603.gif

It needed illustrator which I didn't have anyways.

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)