Closed Topic Start new topic
# 1Muse Jan 21 2011, 05:17 AM
XuntrasH -GreyKnight ONLY

This post has been edited by XuntrasH: Jan 21 2011, 13:47 PM

Game: Graphics

+
# 2I.AM.OP Jan 21 2011, 13:28 PM
Hey there.

I guess I'd start off with a little about myself. I'm 18, living in Australia. I'm currently studying Graphic Design with a major in 3d modeling and compositing at college. I will admit that I do a lot more 3d work than I do Photoshop work but that's because of the emphasis on 3d at college but nevertheless I can confidently say that I do know what I am talking about.

As a starter I'd like you to post any work that you've previously done so I can gage where it is that your skill level sits. One thing that I would like to emphasize is that not getting the result you hoped for when creating something is not the end of the world. It leaves room for improvement and you can always be improving what it is that you're doing.

No need to be shy or hold back on any questions at all. I'll answer them as best I can. I'd like to add you on MSN and/or Skype as well. My MSN is zach_ass93@hotmail.com and my Skype is GFXtdb. I'd rather use this thread more as an upload center (uploading your work and PSD's) and use MSN or Skype as the focus for communication because I think posting everything in this thread would be quite slow.

Anyway, looking forward to working with you. I'm sure I'll learn some things along the way as well.

I'm also aware that you use Gimp and not Photoshop. Do you want to make a switch and start to learn Photoshop (Which I strongly recommend) or would you rather continue to use Gimp? I will warn you though that I've never even looked at Gimp before so I would only be able to teach you more of the theory side of things rather than tools to be used in Photoshop. It's your choice, either way I still think I can teach you quite alot.

This post has been edited by XuntrasH: Jan 21 2011, 13:46 PM

Game: Generals 2

+
# 3GreyKnight Jan 21 2011, 16:23 PM
Hello my name is David, I’m 23 and from the UK. I am a commentator here at gamereplays.org is a new section league of legends.

I have been shout casting for a few years now and when I started off I felt I was on a desert island with so much to take in. I had a lot to learn, the quality of the shout casts had room for improvement and every time I made a cast I learned something new and improved a little. I enjoyed the feeling.

Speeding up to more present times though, I’m a veteran commentator, I know the software and the tricks and tips and I don’t feel I will learn much more from the sound side of things.

When I joined the LoL section, Its was obvious that the section did not have replays meaning the games had to be video recorded by me. With that came a load of new video software to learn and buttons and gadgets to get my head around. Recently I think I have to hang of it.

So I started to try more and more out with gimp in an attempt to produce visual art which can go along with the sections shoutcasts, league of legends tournaments and guides. The end result is to be able to blend all three areas together and produce something people are going to want to see and hear.

I know the basics of gimp and thus I assume the basics of PS, but I have yet to try out the more advanced features of gimp which is where the more professional look comes from (recently tried to reflect an image in gimp and I liked the end result).

I am far from experienced though and could be considered a bit of a noob, im not sure. Most of the stuff I have attempted has been quick fast attempts because the focus wasn’t on the image but the shoutcast and the video editing and that’s where the majority of the time was spent.

As for photoshop I looked at it to buy and its like 600, which is a little bit too much at the minute. There are other cheaper versions of it though, like photoshop elements and non-extented but I dont want to buy the wrong thing, so any advice here would be welcome. Here are a few things (and thanks for mentoring the guy with gimp xD).

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

This post has been edited by GreyKnight: Jan 21 2011, 16:26 PM

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 4I.AM.OP Jan 22 2011, 02:39 AM
Alright, gimp it is. I'll download gimp and have a little play around just so I get the feel of it first because I think it would be much easier if I had a bit of an understanding of it's capabilities.

+
# 5GreyKnight Jan 22 2011, 11:38 AM
I added you on skype, my skype is greyknight.

+
# 6I.AM.OP Jan 24 2011, 09:28 AM
Okay, so just as a starter I'd like you to make a signature of absolutely anything you want. I just want to get a grasp of what you already are capable of. Just post it here when you're finished.

+
# 7GreyKnight Jan 26 2011, 16:16 PM
Ok Ill get started on it as soon as I can, Probably be done at the weekend when I have free time.

+
# 8GreyKnight Jan 30 2011, 17:55 PM
Sorry for the delay, busy weekend.

Here is what I did. I read some mentor thread about blur effects and decided to give them ago, he was talking photoshop though and on a level I didn't quiet know what he was on about some of the time, throw in the fact that gimp doesnt have rastorize and other features it took longer than expected. Had fun though and although I overdid the blur a bit, next time i'll tone it down a little and it should look good.

The other sigs are ones I have made for myself and a clan member, they dont really show high level use of gimp at all but they show my effort in trying to display a picture with neutral colours with a blended and calm feeling. As well as trying to get the text to blend in with the sig without standing out.

The other ones are work I have done for Gr in the upcoming tournament.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

This post has been edited by GreyKnight: Jan 30 2011, 18:04 PM

+
# 9I.AM.OP Jan 30 2011, 23:46 PM
Just a quick question, does gimp have blending modes for the layers. Overlay, softlight, lighten, etc...?

+
# 10GreyKnight Jan 31 2011, 15:55 PM
It has dodge and burn making an area darker or lighter. I haven't heard of the first two though.

+
# 11CENTAUER Feb 27 2011, 21:34 PM
Attention all Mentors/Mentees Im sorry to announce that the current GFX Mentoring Program will be coming to an end soon, please use your remaining time wisely smile.gif

Clan: Sons of Elendil

Game: Battle for Middle Earth

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)