Closed Topic Start new topic
# 181CrushNZ Mar 2 2011, 07:50 AM
R4GE that logo is amazing. Wow.

Game: Battlefield 3

+
# 182number45_ Mar 2 2011, 08:26 AM
QUOTE(Lt. R4GE @ Mar 2 2011, 07:49 AM) *

Hey -null- how you like mine? biggrin.gif
After seeing yours, I was inspired to try it out myself. Also, that's what I meant when explaining to you what you could do to make it look better. Did you know the font I used is called Zero Hour but has no relation to CnC Generals Zero Hour?

Also, need the word list. I am already starting to make CrushNZ's because he gave me his list.

I was tryiing to use a C&C related font but the only one I could find was one for RA3 I think. Couldn't find the generals/ZH one and didn't want to use that zero hour one as it wasn't game related.

Word list:
Not girly

That about all I can come up with.

Game: None

+
# 183Dr. Dru Mar 2 2011, 13:30 PM
Alrighty.
I will use masculine words. biggrin.gif

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 184Dr. Dru Mar 24 2011, 08:59 AM
Holy crap forgot about this. post-13661-1143531603.gif
If you guys actually notice this, then all I have to say is: Hi! biggrin.gif

Is are you both still busy? If not I wanna start this again, if so then I guess I can wait. Crap, I really need to make those wallpapers... I keep forgetting. Also congrats Crush, now you are a red! ohmy.gif

+
# 185CrushNZ Mar 24 2011, 09:01 AM
Thanks man! I think I'll have time in the weekends. Lately I've been burning myself out with study and whatnot. I think I need some more time to do the things like. smile.gif

+
# 186number45_ Mar 24 2011, 12:33 PM
No pressure Rage. Now you're only creating wallpapers for a global and an admin tongue.gif

Game: None

+
# 187Dr. Dru Mar 24 2011, 12:37 PM
Well hey, as long as it puts me on the good side of things. wink.gif
I always believed bribery was an option for anything. jk lol pirate.gif

+
# 188CrushNZ Apr 3 2011, 11:02 AM
Hey R4GE,

While I was thinking about what I could do to improve the battlefield "image" on GameReplays I thought about making a template of sorts for the BF3 section.

My idea was to create a template of sorts to use for the highlights on the portal. So It'd be preferably something to insert over an image to allow for instant recognition that it was from the BF3 section of GR and with time to come over the internet.

Any suggestions on how to go about this? Sorry if this is kinda vague.

+
# 189Dr. Dru Apr 4 2011, 12:48 PM
Well that's really something hard to make...
The part of instantly making it BF3 recognizable. Just making a template to go over anything and make it "instantly good" is possible though.

When I made sets of several (A LOT) of screenshots for the same guide I use a technique of using the exact same style for each screenshot. To make them all identical (style wise, not actual screenshot) I have to be able to move the same effect from one file to another (easy to do in photoshop). Personally (my "trademark" design for most things on GR) is to start with a simple contrast editing. I'll make the contrast more extreme so nothing looks too dull. After that I add more contrast by making the outer part of the image a soft fading black. This effect makes the attention go to the center (where most likely your main event is normally positioned). After this I either do some color editing, brushing, or texture adding. Or sometimes all three!

I'll get into more details on giving the same treatment and style onto multiple files, but for now let's talk about this idea of making a template. To make it recognizable you'd have to put somewhere the BF3/GR logo for BF3. Maybe even both. However the portal automatically overlays the title of each article on the bottom left corner of each highlight. Which makes the bottom left corner the worst place to put your "watermark". Highlights also aren't necessarily big, so you don't have much space. The logo could end up taking the space of the whole graphic! Giving no space for the actual screenshot or concept art. This is TOTALLY not what you want. Which means you have to find a really good balance between too small and too big. Too small means you can barely see the logo, too big means you can't see anything behind it.

You also want to make the logo/watermark visible but not grabbing too much attention. I suppose a small logo in full opacity could work on the top right corner, or a really big logo on a low opacity so you can see what's behind and still clearly see there is a logo.

I'll show you an example of what I can come up with, I'll just test it by using a random logo. Like Volkswagon, or idk SC2? The point is I'll show you how much potential this has!

If you like what I make I can make you a BF3 version, but I really want you to try too. A bad parent is the one who gives their kids the easy route every time. After the parent is gone, the kid won't be able to do anything without their parent who is now gone. (Art Mentor? Hah I even gave you a parenting lesson! biggrin.gif pirate.gif)

+
# 190CrushNZ Apr 4 2011, 21:42 PM
Yeah man, if you give me an example I'll try to make something suitable myself. smile.gif

Thanks a ton dude!

+
# 191Dr. Dru Apr 6 2011, 09:23 AM
Well I did some rudimentary work experimenting, not very good results though. Some pretty bad news too. ohmy.gif First take a look, and I'll write below the images on my "break down" of how they work and why they should work, and also why they would not work.

Attached Image

The first example has a greenish/teal background. Because of the background color most of the effects are also slightly that color. Why? Because they glows/strokes are all on overlay. So you can see it, but also see what's behind it. AKA the color blends into the watermark now. This is good, it gives a good effect and you can put it on anything and every time you'll see different colors that match with the image you are using it on, because that image is what's giving color to the glow!

Attached Image

As you see it also works great with a grey background. Why? Because this is a very midtone color, the green and grey I picked for these examples are both very very midtone. Perfect for the effect of overlay.

Attached Image

But wait! All the ones on overlay look like shit in this example! Why? It's finally a real example, of a real scenario. Let's say you have this beautiful picture of flowers and for some reason you want to add the acronym BF3. For no reason! Anyways, because the flowers have so many different colors that are very rich and bright in intensity your watermark won't look very good. You'll see too much of what's behind!

With further testing I could come up with something that works for everything, but most likely there would be formula of changing certain things when it doesn't look good in certain images only. For the glow effects, all you have to do is probably lower the hue intensity of what's behind it. But only what's behind the test, so you would do a text selection and then go to the original image and give it some "photo editing". Not to the point where it becomes just grey, but when it loses a lot of it's color. You could even go as far as lowering the brightness + contrast. However that doesn't fix one more problem the glow effects have. They don't work on black backgrounds. They would work if they were just white glows, but the point of the effect was to have them be slightly transparent. This is terrible news now isn't it? The glow effect is pretty much out the window... it's just too hard to use.

I suggest you go for something more along the lines of the solid white + slight glow behind example. The one on the very far left side. A super simple technique that makes it look not so boring, but won't take too much attention. This works because anywhere it would be the same. The color white. I'll give it another go cause I got another idea similar to this, but bottom line. Don't use transparent effects for this type of watermark. Since it's going on highlights you want something that can go on anything, literally. Highlights can have anything on them (well if it's appropriate. wink.gif) so you need to be prepared. Try making something that can look good small, won't take too much attention, and is a solid image of it's own. I guess to shorten things up, think of it as a complete logo not a watermark.

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)