Explore GameReplays...

World in Conflict

Armor Tips

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1Distant Thunder Jan 3 2008, 17:24 PM
Please if you have any armor tips post them here in this topic.

Game: World in Conflict

+
# 2letsXkillXem Jan 5 2008, 20:39 PM
Try your best to have a support player with at least 2 Heavy AA and one light if you have only heavy tanks. However I strongly suggest that you buy heavy and medium tanks for their ungodly anti-infantry shells, currently the medium tank is very underused even though it counters every unit except for heli's extremely well, because of this your support player can focus all his resources on heavy AA, thus giving you an unbeatable combat force for assault or defence.

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 3LostSoul120 Jan 7 2008, 20:57 PM
A good start for domination maps (and my personal favorite at the moment) is going with 2x heavy tanks and 2x light tanks. Take your 2 heavy tanks and send them towards where you expect the heaviest combat while sending you light tanks to cap points off to the side or out of the way.

+
# 4letsXkillXem Jan 7 2008, 23:09 PM
QUOTE(LostSoul120 @ Jan 7 2008, 15:57 PM) *

A good start for domination maps (and my personal favorite at the moment) is going with 2x heavy tanks and 2x light tanks. Take your 2 heavy tanks and send them towards where you expect the heaviest combat while sending you light tanks to cap points off to the side or out of the way.

Hi and welcome to GR.org! Seems like you have been here a long time but this is your first post.

Im regards to that post I have to agree and disagree, if your opponent/s have someone who has gone armor odds are they are going to build 3 heavy tanks if he sends those to where you expect the heaviest fighting odds are your tanks will be killed 3 to 2. Once he kills those he will have problems at all killing your lights. At this current time you either want to:

1: Take those 2 tanks and take a flank, either hitting your enemy in his butt.

2: Go even further down the line and taking out his heavy artillery ,9/10 of the time the heavy artillery will be defenseless to your tanks as most support players have only anti-air. However you must also look at the math because if you take out his artillery heavy choppers WILL show up to kill you, which is fine if you take out AT LEAST 1 heavy artillery and 2 heavy anti-airs OR 2 heavy Artillery.

3: Build 3 heavy tanks go to the battle and engage, keep one tank in front of the enemy while the other two take out his sides, this is very effective in Tank VS Tank battles.

4: Dont forget TA's, and remember, just because its cheap does not mean its not effective (in other words dont carpet bomb a row of 4 tanks, use tank buster instead).

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 5inF.Daunt Jan 8 2008, 08:53 AM
I guess you assume there are no enemy air players around, if you believe you can send light tanks to the other side of the map smile.gif

also, if you want some tips...

1) tanks are useful when they are alive. keep that in mind. A tank without AA is a dead tank, and a tank that advances too much in enemy territory is a death sentence for the AA that follows him. So, stay in a good position to support your team (for example, take the Mill in Riviera, but don't attack the farm, you can shoot anything from the hill and you won't risk too much, use airdrops to cap the point and watch the turkey shot at everything that tries to take it back), but don't launch your tanks into suicide attempts. In one word, don't overextend

2) sometimes smoke is not enough to protect you from choppers. If you're positioned and the AA is close behind, reverse move as heavy choppers approach. Their rockets won't be able to kill you if you keep fleeing backwards, and as AA arrives they won't have ammunition to attack it, and they'll have to flee or die. Get your tank repaired afterwards.

3) pop smoke when you're being repaired in a hot zone. Repair tanks can't.

4) have some paratroopers as your eyes. Hide them into enemy territory, and shoot from afar. If the cover is gone, use a scout chopper instead of the 5th tank which you'll never get.

5) in urban fights, medium tanks are valuable. Approach a loaded truck, get close and be ready to fire frag shell where the squad unloads. 99% guaranteed that the squad will die completely.

6) use heat shells on infantry only when you can finish the squad off

7) don't fire heats on trucks unless it's really necessary, heats tend to miss small targets

This post has been edited by inF.Daunt: Jan 8 2008, 13:58 PM

+
# 6LostSoul120 Jan 10 2008, 02:51 AM
I tried to make my original post short so people would take the time to read it (not a huge fan of reading long posts) however, I guess I should have pointed out a few assumption with my post. You covered most of them in on way or the other but they are as follows:

1. Anywhere you go without AA should be considered a suicide mission.

2. Many heavy air players either head to the front line looking for heavy tanks that are alone or go arty hunting, so avoid the obvious path ways when circling around with light tanks.

3. When fighting at the main engagement you aren't alone. Either you have heavy air raining down rockets of death or repair tanks or inf squads, something at least.

Now to clarify other things I said:

1. About capping (or better yet helping to cap, more TA for everyone that way) side or back points:
These are points that are out of the way on your main advance path. The hill on the right side of Riviera, the suburbs on the right side of X-Mas, the crash site and apartments on Power plant. These are points that would slow down your heavy tanks by a small amount (30 seconds to a minute) and delay them from getting to the front line and being a speed bump. You can choose to not cap these points but I don't see why not as you will net yourself some TA to use in the coming battle. These points aren't too out of the way so the speed of your light tanks will let them catch up with your heavy tanks before they get rolled over and flank any enemy tanks.

2. 2 on 3 Heavy Tanks:
Your 2 heavies should be able to hold out until your 2 lights come back from their minor detour and flank the enemy heavies. Now this is assuming its one tank player against another, so how about throwing some support into the equation:

With heavy air support against armor and AA:
As any armor player should know the AA is the priority here and with 2 heat shells you should be able to wipe out the AA (or make it run like a sissy at least) before you take too heavy of a loss. Your heavy air comes in with Ride of the Valkyries playing while snacking on some heavy armor.

With repair tanks:
Assuming you aren't up against tanks and heavy air (should not happen, anyone using repair tanks on you better provide AA) you should win out as long as you protect your friendly support player by blocking the other tanks line of fire. And be courteous too, pop smoke for the nice guy.

Against repair tanks:
Well you're mostly screwed here assuming the enemy has AA (if not tell your friendly neighborhood air player), if you have your own repair tanks it comes down to a dancing game of micro with the victor usually being the 3 tanks unless you kill his repair and he ignores yours. After the repair tank take down that AA and let the air player drop the hammer.

But wait... all is not lost. Remember that 5 TA you got for capping that point with your 2 lights? (read: the whole reason you are in this mess in the first place) This is where you get a chance to use it. Do some damage (for that extra TA to give you 6) then drop a tank buster and there you go. Of course hitting with a tank buster isn't always that easy but even if you drop one tank (or better yet their AA) you may give yourself the advantage you need. Also don't forget your light tanks that should have been heading towards the fight as soon as they capped (or helped cap) that point.

Your opposing tank player will not have any TA if you are against 3 heavies unless he used his heavies to cap in which case you've already gained some ground (and your team most likely has capped an extra point and has bleed). Although even if your enemy has TA it is very unlikely that he will use it. From my experience a lot of players don't use TA right off the start of the match or when they are certain they are going to win the engagement. (being the 3 vs 2)

Not exactly a scientific inquiry there but I hope it shows the validity of using light tanks off the start. I find it a nice break from the usual 3 heavy start, and using light tanks in combat after capping points forces you to micro more (read: practice) for them to have a hope of doing some decent damage (TOW missile rear armor hits are nice thum.gif ). It may not be the best start in every situation but it can be effective in some and fun to play (what's the use in playing something thats not fun right?).

Oh and I'm glad my original post got some people to respond, discussion is never a bad way to learn. (Damn, what a long winded post from me here)

EDIT: I think I may make this into a guide as I think it could benefit from a full explanation with more examples.

This post has been edited by LostSoul120: Jan 10 2008, 13:06 PM

+
# 7Distant Thunder Jan 11 2008, 00:56 AM
Good discussion keep it up!! banana.gif

DT

+
# 8inF.Daunt Jan 11 2008, 08:33 AM
I'm afraid you're wrong. Light tanks' value in a tanks vs tanks combat is close to zero, not to mention that no AA can protect both heavy and light tanks.
If you want light tanks, airdrop them.

Also, the wind mill in Riviera is usually where all the heavy tanks go, I've had the hottest tank/support vs tank/support battles there.
If you're wondering why heavy tanks go there, just remember the advantage in shooting from high ground: if you take the wind mill as nato, you can advance and shoot at the farm (with paratroopers as spotters). Russians can't allow nato to do this, so they go for the wind mill too.

+
# 9LostSoul120 Jan 11 2008, 18:19 PM
QUOTE(inF.Daunt @ Jan 11 2008, 03:33 AM) *

I'm afraid you're wrong. Light tanks' value in a tanks vs tanks combat is close to zero, not to mention that no AA can protect both heavy and light tanks.
If you want light tanks, airdrop them.

I never said light tanks are awesome vs other tanks, just that because of thier faster speed they can be used to cap points while you advance your main tanks to the front lines. You could also drop in APCs for the same job but iirc they cost a little more and damn near useless against anything but infantry, so when they finally do get to the front lines after capping points they can at least help against the tanks and AA that are certain to be there.

Your comment about AA is a little confusing, but I imagine you were talking about trying to get AA for both groups of tanks. AA is unneeded to cover the light tanks at the start as they are off in the back of your side capping a point or 2. Also when they rejoin your heavies they get the AA cover from that.

Also I do agree that you should airdrop light tanks as spending reinforcement points on them for any reason other than capping points at the start is a waste.

QUOTE(inF.Daunt @ Jan 11 2008, 03:33 AM) *

Also, the wind mill in Riviera is usually where all the heavy tanks go, I've had the hottest tank/support vs tank/support battles there.
If you're wondering why heavy tanks go there, just remember the advantage in shooting from high ground: if you take the wind mill as nato, you can advance and shoot at the farm (with paratroopers as spotters). Russians can't allow nato to do this, so they go for the wind mill too.

I wasn't trying to say that fights happen on the hill on Riviera, I was just using it as an example of a back point that can be capped with light tanks without being harassed.

Another thing that I should point out is that mostly I mess around in pub games so I'm not 100% sure how well these would work in clan matches. Although I have had many good games on a few pub servers of choice (usually 6/8 on my team are clan mates and 5-6/8 on the other team are some other clan) so it does work against more than just new players that don't really know that much. In the few clan matches I've done I haven't tested this out, better to go with tried and true methods in clan methods usually. (only played about 35 dom games with that start)

+
# 10inF.Daunt Jan 12 2008, 01:22 AM
you can use your heavy tanks to cap points because

1) you'd rank one heavy tank up with the capture of the point

2) no need to be in the frontline asap. You rather need to have units that can survive long enough, not to have the first units arriving at one point.

+
# 11LostSoul120 Jan 12 2008, 03:51 AM
On some maps you end up confronting the opposing around at a strat point, if you can get their first you can have control and get some more initial TA and bleed, for example the train station on Powerplant.

Good point about the rank up for capping the point with heavies, hadn't really considered that. Though I still think light tanks have some merit. Question about that though: Do all the units involved in the capture gain experience?

+
# 12inF.Daunt Jan 12 2008, 14:07 PM
no, only 1 per circle i think

if you need to take the powerplant while going for the railyard, you go 3 heavies and 1 light, and you use the light one to fortify

This post has been edited by inF.Daunt: Jan 12 2008, 14:08 PM

+
# 13LostSoul120 Jan 13 2008, 01:50 AM
Good to know about the experience gain, never was sure about that. Only putting one tank per circle will save me from losing multiple tanks due to TA when capping points later in a match.

I've never really considered delaying my start for 1 light tank, should only be a 10 seconds or so for the 600 reinforcement points iirc. Although I don't know how much that will delay dropping in a second heavy tank, I'll have to give it a shot sometime.

+
# 14inF.Daunt Jan 14 2008, 08:35 AM
it's 5 seconds for the 200 you need. and you'll be able to call the 4th tank as soon as the airplane is ready again

+
# 15LostSoul120 Jan 14 2008, 15:07 PM
Good to know, gunna give that a shot tonight. I can see this being useful on a few maps where you don't need to go far to cap the point. Put your heavy on the closest circle and put the light on the far one. I'll see how that works for me.

+
# 16Scintallus Feb 19 2008, 11:38 AM
QUOTE(inF.Daunt @ Jan 12 2008, 22:07 PM) *

no, only 1 per circle i think

That's odd, I read somewhere that each unit get's some experience if they're in the circle when it's capped.

Clearly I must be wrong.

I agree with you though, that light tanks aren't worth their salt in a tank battle.

Their main uses are:

1) Sneaking behind enemy lines through either airdrops or pure sneakiness to blast arty noobs to Kingdome come. Pardon the pun.

2) Fortifying CPs, so heavy tanks can do their jobs. Far too often you see noob heavy tanks sitting in CPs while light tanks get chewed up by heavy armour.

3) Grabbing CPs in early game. Their usefulness in this is limited, as unless it's a 2v2 or 1v1, you aren't going to hold the CP for longer than it takes for their first anti-vehicle unit to find you.

Generally, if you're Armour, your main purpose is staying alive long enough to make sure the other guy doesn't.

A useful way to do this is chain-smoking. If you have a formation of tanks coming under attack by Heavy Air, stop, smoke and pray.

Make sure you only pop the ol' smoke nades on ONE tank! Preferably the middle one.

Under no circumstances, should you pop the smoke on all your units at the same time. Unless you have more than 4, in which case try to squeeze into the smoke.

This allows you to mantain your smoke screen for as many times longer as the number of tanks you have.

Of course, keep in mind that this makes you a prime target for TA, especially nukes, LGBs and Repair Bridge.

I'm just kidding. smile.gif

You're more likely to see Aerial Recons wiping your smoke away, or a neat little tank buster or air strike eradicating your clustered units.

So don't stay in that position for more than 10 seconds, or you're deader than a very dead door nail.

blink.gif

+
# 17Caonabismo Feb 24 2008, 05:31 AM
1. Always try to flank the enemy. The armor on tanks is weaker on the back and sides.

2. On a big fight send one tank forward and leave the rest on the back out of the enemy line of sight. You will be able to hit them, and they won't be able to fire back. You can use other types of forward observers to this like hidden paratroopers.

3. Do not get units from other roles while playing armor. If you lack units, you will be killed easily. It's also too expensive and a waste of your reinforcement points.

4. Concenrate your units on one spot until it's finally captured and fortified. If you spread out your tanks, you might lack firepower on a fight and get killed easily.

+
# 18CBSavage1 Nov 30 2009, 02:18 AM
QUOTE(LostSoul120 @ Jan 12 2008, 03:51 AM) *

On some maps you end up confronting the opposing around at a strat point, if you can get their first you can have control and get some more initial TA and bleed, for example the train station on Powerplant.

Good point about the rank up for capping the point with heavies, hadn't really considered that. Though I still think light tanks have some merit. Question about that though: Do all the units involved in the capture gain experience?

Ur an idiot of course all the units get some experience, one unit gets more experience (Captain) then three (Officer).

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)