Explore GameReplays...

Company of Heroes

How to deal with Calliope

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1Shadilay Apr 15 2018, 09:38 AM
Hi, so yesterday I was playing a game against my friend as Wehr against US on north Langres, and the game was pretty good for me (I had 48 kills on my sniper, but then he killed it with his sherman when he was retreating, but I destroyed the sherman immediately after so it was worth xD), but then he made his Calliope, and it totally destroyed my paks, MGs and bunkers. So I was just wondering how do u usually destroy a Calliope ? I thought about rushing out a panther, but he always had a sherman and rifles with sticky bombs to support it ready.

+
# 2TrueLancer Apr 22 2018, 17:11 PM
QUOTE(Shadilay @ Apr 15 2018, 09:38 AM) *

Hi, so yesterday I was playing a game against my friend as Wehr against US on north Langres, and the game was pretty good for me (I had 48 kills on my sniper, but then he killed it with his sherman when he was retreating, but I destroyed the sherman immediately after so it was worth xD), but then he made his Calliope, and it totally destroyed my paks, MGs and bunkers. So I was just wondering how do u usually destroy a Calliope ? I thought about rushing out a panther, but he always had a sherman and rifles with sticky bombs to support it ready.

A panther is fine.

If you go that route, the purpose then isn't to rush in and destroy the Calli. That would be ideal, but not realistic. You just need to do some damage to scare it off and keep it from getting close enough to make its rockets count. Remember, a piece of equipment held back doing its job poorly is not as good as destroying it, but still does the job *you* wanted to do.

An easier strategy is to distribute out your forces. PAKs and MGs work because they are static pieces supporting an area. If your whole offense and defense falls apart the moment they are revealed, then you need to do a better job of not putting a single lynchpin in your line. Spread out more. Keep your MGs moving. If troops pull back without moving over to counter your MG, it suggests they're lining up the Calli so they can just brute force the troops straight in. Same with a PAK - that first stealthed shot is worth two unstealthed shots, so if it gets off a stealth shot but doesn't look like it's going to destroy something, there's no reason to keep shooting. Reposition it and accept the small victory of them having to pull armor back to repair rather than going for a full victory that just gets your PAK exploded by sky rockets.

Bunkers are harder to protect because they never move, so you can't do anything with the bunker itself to protect it. Instead, you have to rely on your offense. The further from the bunker, the less accurate the rocket spread is. Shooting at a bunker from max Calli range is a waste since most of the damage doesn't hit it and it needs a few barrages to destroy it. You can easily repair it between (and even THROUGH) a barrage at max distance. If the Calli wants to get that bunker, it needs to get closer. Point blank can wreck a bunker in one barrage, but you can still do significant damage if you get closer to half the maximum range.

Recognize that range and threaten that area. Make it a kill zone. Make it so that they can't easily press up into that area without being subjected to the might of your entire force. It's actually fine if they start to flank around to the sides - it's not as easy to support vehicles out that far and you can get a better sense for enemy movements with some aggressive forward lines. You want to dislodge the enemy from the strong shooting positions to completely stop them from Calli'ing you and failing that push them to flow around the sides where you can more easily do damage and capitalize on mistakes.

A panther isn't a bad choice if you're willing to back it up, but be willing to accept other alternatives, too. Panzershreks aren't the best but make for a safer AT platform as you can retreat back faster than a PAK. Consider the heavy tanks as a way to push back and blunt the force a Calli can do rather than to just destroy it in one pass. Sure, those rifles might screen his tanks and keep them from taking damage, but doing manpower damage can help you start getting the advantage, especially if the Calli goes from "major threat" to "annoyance".

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 3Shadilay Apr 28 2018, 06:10 AM
QUOTE(TrueLancer @ Apr 22 2018, 17:11 PM) *

A panther is fine.

If you go that route, the purpose then isn't to rush in and destroy the Calli. That would be ideal, but not realistic. You just need to do some damage to scare it off and keep it from getting close enough to make its rockets count. Remember, a piece of equipment held back doing its job poorly is not as good as destroying it, but still does the job *you* wanted to do.

An easier strategy is to distribute out your forces. PAKs and MGs work because they are static pieces supporting an area. If your whole offense and defense falls apart the moment they are revealed, then you need to do a better job of not putting a single lynchpin in your line. Spread out more. Keep your MGs moving. If troops pull back without moving over to counter your MG, it suggests they're lining up the Calli so they can just brute force the troops straight in. Same with a PAK - that first stealthed shot is worth two unstealthed shots, so if it gets off a stealth shot but doesn't look like it's going to destroy something, there's no reason to keep shooting. Reposition it and accept the small victory of them having to pull armor back to repair rather than going for a full victory that just gets your PAK exploded by sky rockets.

Bunkers are harder to protect because they never move, so you can't do anything with the bunker itself to protect it. Instead, you have to rely on your offense. The further from the bunker, the less accurate the rocket spread is. Shooting at a bunker from max Calli range is a waste since most of the damage doesn't hit it and it needs a few barrages to destroy it. You can easily repair it between (and even THROUGH) a barrage at max distance. If the Calli wants to get that bunker, it needs to get closer. Point blank can wreck a bunker in one barrage, but you can still do significant damage if you get closer to half the maximum range.

Recognize that range and threaten that area. Make it a kill zone. Make it so that they can't easily press up into that area without being subjected to the might of your entire force. It's actually fine if they start to flank around to the sides - it's not as easy to support vehicles out that far and you can get a better sense for enemy movements with some aggressive forward lines. You want to dislodge the enemy from the strong shooting positions to completely stop them from Calli'ing you and failing that push them to flow around the sides where you can more easily do damage and capitalize on mistakes.

A panther isn't a bad choice if you're willing to back it up, but be willing to accept other alternatives, too. Panzershreks aren't the best but make for a safer AT platform as you can retreat back faster than a PAK. Consider the heavy tanks as a way to push back and blunt the force a Calli can do rather than to just destroy it in one pass. Sure, those rifles might screen his tanks and keep them from taking damage, but doing manpower damage can help you start getting the advantage, especially if the Calli goes from "major threat" to "annoyance".

Thank you very much for your answer.

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)