Explore GameReplays...

Dota 2

10 year Anniversary

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1Gage Mar 12 2016, 20:57 PM
10 years ago today, Dumbledore's Army came into being. Three idiots put their heads together in Reno Nevada to create a clan so we could play in CWs for BFME 2. We named the clan after our eventual 4th member's favorite book series in the hope it would get him to join us (we loved Harry Potter too, so wasn't a sacrifice). HarryPotter did the next day.

The beginning for DA wasn't a sure thing. We quickly came under attack by a guy named "Aranelthegrey." He legitimately wanted to get our clan shut down here on GR.org for being named after Harry Potter and went to the higher ups to do so. I wonder what that person would think now, 10 years later. Probably doesn't even remember we exist lol. But nonetheless, his attacks ensured that we would continue, bring in DA loyal posters like Tams` and Mr. Sketch and so on to keep our forum alive.

Our greatest competitive feat would come a year later when we won a championship in CWs in BFME 2. We had a huge contribution from my BFME 2 mentor, Child. We made several other attempts to win, and got close several times in those combined efforts. Those were fun.

DA had two sister clans, BtC aka Bigtime Chumps and Nemesis (fun fact, BtC originally stood for Better than Child). After several years, all 3 clans merged back into DA, giving DA about 25 members from around the world.

After our days in BFME 2, the MOBA's dominated for several years with HoN and Dota 2.

The past several years have been more humble for DA. Long gone are the high activity days for the first 6-7 years. But, members still play together. There are 5 of us playing Clash of Clans together in a clan named RebelAlliance, with Mad-eye taking the leadership (Lord help us). We play two clanwars a week right now. Also, our very own Curly is traveling around the USA right now, and I look forward to meeting another DA member in person this coming year.

Perhaps the coolest part of this experience has been the way we all did this. In the world of online, with so much anonymity and thus unfortunately piss poor behavior, DA always kept it's higher standards in place. Looking back over 10 years, that might have been our greatest accomplishment. Well done guy.

Happy birthday Dumbledore's Army,

Mark

Clan: Dumbledore's Army

Game: Heroes of Newerth

+
# 2Darkman_0 Mar 15 2016, 04:12 AM
And congrats to you as well!

I'm planning to visit the states (if I ever get any money whatsoever), just so you can add more to that list.

Game: Battle for Middle Earth 2

+
# 3Gage Mar 18 2016, 00:28 AM
QUOTE(Darkman_0 @ Mar 14 2016, 21:12 PM) *

And congrats to you as well!

I'm planning to visit the states (if I ever get any money whatsoever), just so you can add more to that list.

Ooooo really! Well the US is a big country, so it might depend on which parts you are visiting. Tho, there are several of us around the states. So definitely keep us posted. I know Sev and I would be happy to meet you.

Gage

Game: Heroes of Newerth

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)