Explore GameReplays...

Graphics

A Guide To Video Tutorials

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1HyperShadow647 May 4 2008, 04:47 AM
When I first tried to make a video tutorial, it was a pretty daunting task, so I thought I'd write up a little something to help some people out.

I. Programs

The basis for video tutorials is to let people see exactly what you do to achieve a certain result while making a signature or other piece of artwork, and therefore you'll be using a piece of software that records your screen activity while you make said piece. The best free piece of software that I have come across is CamStudio 2.5. It's very user friendly, and does a great job of capturing whatever you want. It then saves your recording as an .avi file, so you can edit it as you like.

If anyone knows any other good programs, please don't hesitate to post them here. However this tutorial will only be for CamStudio 2.5.

II. Recording

So now you have CamStudio 2.5, but how do you use it?

Attached Image

You don't really need to change anything except one. In the Region menu, you'll want to select Full Screen to record the whole area of your monitor.

Now, when you're ready, press record, and the window will minimize and your cursor will be a bit skippy and less responsive. Don't worry about this, this is a common side effect of recording screen activity.

Now, make your sig!

By default, F8 pauses the recording (if you want to do something else in the middle and come back later). F9 stops it, when you are done. F10 cancels the recording if you mess up.

III. Post-Production

When you stop, it will come up with a save dialog box, and you can save the .avi file wherever you like. Then, you can edit it to your heart's content using whatever program you choose. I've heard good things about Avidemux, but I haven't personally tested it myself. If someone has, or has a better suggestion, that would be awesome.

IV. Encoding

So now you have this awesome video that's edited exactly the way you want it, but usually when you go to export it to a file from a video editor you get hit in the face with all of these fancy setting you have to choose from. Here are some guidelines that will give you a great looking video and keep your filesize down so people aren't stuck downloading a gigabyte worth of data.

Video Codec: H.264
Audio Codec: AAC or MP3
Framerate: 25
Keyframes: Every 30 frames
Data Rate: 3000 kb/s
Size: Current
Deinterlace?: Yes
Sound Sample Rate:41.100 kHz
Audio Quality: 128 kb/s

If your video editor doesn't have some of these settings to choose from, don't worry about it. Chances are it will come out fine.

V. Posting

Then, post it in the Gamereplays tutorials section. For now, the best way to get your video on the internet is using megaupload.com, however very soon we're going to have our very own way of doing video tutorials. Be sure to include any resources you used (c4ds, brushes, etc.) since the newcomer signature maker might not have these in his/her arsenal.

I hope this helped you to make your own video tutorial. I'll be appending this if people give suggestions to better programs, but in the meantime go and make a great tutorial!

This post has been edited by HyperShadow647: Jun 9 2008, 20:18 PM

Game: Graphics

+
# 2number45_ May 4 2008, 11:01 AM
As a watcher of video tutorials I also suggest including a link to the codec or at least telling people what the codec is.

And if your capturing music try and make sure the music isn't too loud especially if your talking over it as well.

Game: None

+
# 3HyperShadow647 May 4 2008, 16:13 PM
The .avi codec is a pretty standard thing, pretty sure no one will need to download it to work with the file thum.gif.

+
# 4number45_ May 4 2008, 18:03 PM
Avi is a file format which is standard. However you can have different types of avi depending on what codec was used to compress them, to play the avis you usually need the same codec as was used to compress.

For example many of the videos you can download via bittorrent (not that I would do such a thing tongue.gif ) are xvid. That is the codec they require before you can play them however the video tutorials xprophet creates require the TechSmith Screen Capture Codec to play them.

If you right click on a video in Windows and look in Properties -> Summary. Video Compression usually tells you what codec has been used.

Game: None

+
# 5HyperShadow647 Jun 6 2008, 01:31 AM
Added guidelines for encoding for us non-video-savvy people thum.gif.

+
# 6GiDeoN Jun 9 2008, 10:32 AM
Useful guide.

Couple of pointers, frame rate doesn't need to be above 25 smile.gif

Avoid all use of third party codecs please, it's a real pain when we convert them, TSSC especially sad.gif

This post has been edited by GiDeoN: Jun 9 2008, 10:32 AM

Clan: Order Of The Elites

Game: Hardware

+
# 7lyod Jun 9 2008, 19:21 PM
Nice guide, thanks biggrin.gif

I used camstudio and made a video of about 15 minutes and wanted to upload it on veoh, but it takes hours because the file is very big : 500 Mo

I downloaded some video tuts of about 30 minutes here and they weren't bigger than 50 Mo

wtf? How could I reduce my file's size to about 50 Mo??

Game: Battle for Middle Earth 2 1.06

+
# 8HyperShadow647 Jun 9 2008, 20:18 PM
that's because you didn't edit you video tut after you recorded it. camstudio records in .avi format. this is the most uncompressed kind of video file out there. it's like a .bmp image. this makes for great video quality, but insane file sizes.

try at least converting your video using the settings outlines above, and you'll get a much better file size.

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)