Explore GameReplays...

Heroes of Newerth

Casting Feedback

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 21TheCapitalist Dec 6 2010, 00:04 AM
QUOTE(Firelight @ Dec 5 2010, 04:04 AM) *

Haven't heard Chapy and Cap together, but i would imagine it to be entertaining.

We actually casted the GR tournament season 2 finals together, with Insane_Rabbi towards the end. And indeed, it was very epic. That's just the effect Chapy has. I'll see if I can find it.

QUOTE(cR. @ Dec 5 2010, 14:45 PM) *

And now the negative...
The casters only focusing their attention on the carry type heroes. Never once did I hear about magmus who had a portal key or the ophelia that never got ice ogres against the team with so many -armor abilities(competitive insight asway dropped the ball on this one).

As a player of competitive DotA, and some HoN, I always played support heroes, since I considered it one of the most challenging and important part of the game. So, as the ward bitch who saves his carry with potions, wards and self-sacrifices, i COMPLETELY agree with what you're saying.

From a caster position though, I'll just be completely honest and say that following Carry's and semi-carry's is just more entertaining and exciting. And that doesn't just include items either. I notice all the time that I assign "great plays" to carrys who are typically doing the most damage, but not to that andro who was the one who saw that it was a good fight to force and initiated accordingly, or the glacius who pushed FA out of swift's spin radius and then absorbed some of swift's ult, so FA could live. A lot of it just has to do with the fact that there is so much going on in the game that sometimes it's hard to instantly identify the best parts of the game for the audience. I mean, if I ever watch one of my own casts, I ALWAYS find tons of things that I should've said, or pointed out to the audience, or why I didn't notice that item or that play.

Basically- In games like HoN, there is a lot of different components moving around and no center point of action, so combined with creating commentary, it's easy to just create a center of your own- focusing on one or two heroes, which is typically the carry and semi-carry/ganker.

But I totally I agree with you, and I know it's something myself and the other casters work on. Thanks for the feedback!

Game: Heroes of Newerth

+
# 22Smurftang Dec 6 2010, 03:46 AM
Bring back Smurftang as a camera.

+
# 23Nuraun Dec 6 2010, 14:54 PM
You should come and do some games with me in the Amateur League then Smurf tongue.gif

Game: Dota 2

+
# 24Smurftang Dec 6 2010, 14:59 PM
As soon as my computer is fixed sure man! Using my gf's atm. BRB VISITING FROWN TOWN.

+
# 25Nuraun Dec 6 2010, 16:54 PM
Just gimme a poke here or in-game when you got your PC back, hopefully it'll be back for the knock-out rounds in January smile.gif

Game: Dota 2

+
# 26Jerkheart Dec 14 2010, 00:58 AM
YawningAngel needs to cast more.

That's all.

+
# 27kustodian Dec 14 2010, 01:45 AM
QUOTE(Jerkheart @ Dec 14 2010, 01:58 AM) *

YawningAngel needs to cast more.

That's all.

Hi and welcome to GR banana.gif

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but that is probably not going to happen in a near future, since Angel has some issues and he will not be casting soon post-13661-1143531603.gif

+
# 28Insane_Rabbi Dec 20 2010, 16:25 PM
Quick Note: Online casting with 3 people is less efficient than with 2. When posing questions to your fellow cast members, you need to either clarify who the question is posed to, or face the certainty that neither or both will answer. If you constantly say who you want to answer, it degrades from the cast. I enjoyed casting with Smak and Cap, but if you actually listen close to the cast I'm sure you can tell we had issues with fluidity.

All casts not done in person should be a maximum of 2 people, unless the trio has enough practice and experience to know when to talk.

+
# 29TheCapitalist Dec 20 2010, 20:33 PM
QUOTE(Insane_Rabbi @ Dec 20 2010, 08:25 AM) *

Quick Note: Online casting with 3 people is less efficient than with 2. When posing questions to your fellow cast members, you need to either clarify who the question is posed to, or face the certainty that neither or both will answer. If you constantly say who you want to answer, it degrades from the cast. I enjoyed casting with Smak and Cap, but if you actually listen close to the cast I'm sure you can tell we had issues with fluidity.

All casts not done in person should be a maximum of 2 people, unless the trio has enough practice and experience to know when to talk.

Tri casts are much harder, and only really work with 2 competitive insight.

Example of a tri-cast going much better: http://www.gamereplays.org/community/index...howtopic=711139

Still, it was fun.

+
# 30kustodian Dec 21 2010, 01:50 AM
QUOTE(Insane_Rabbi @ Dec 20 2010, 17:25 PM) *

Hey Rabbi, nice to see you around again and thanks for the help this Sunday wub.gif

+
# 31Freudian Trip Dec 21 2010, 23:25 PM
Just wanted to say it's nice having Rabbi back. Hope he sticks around and gets back into it.

+
# 32ScatterSpasm Dec 25 2010, 03:05 AM
QUOTE(kustodian @ Dec 14 2010, 02:45 AM) *

I'm sorry to disappoint you, but that is probably not going to happen in a near future, since Angel has some issues and he will not be casting soon post-13661-1143531603.gif

I'm very sorry to hear that. Yawning is the only main caster i can stand listening to for any extended period of time. Not only is his insights always spot on, he's also extraordinarily funny and has a pleasant voice. Most importantly though, he doesnt just spew endless streams of useless crap like: "AND MOONQUEEN USES HER ULTI AND PESTI DIES AND GLACIUS USES SLOW AND WOW GOOD SLOW LOOK AT MADMAN BEING SLOWED HES SO SLOWED NOW FORSAKEN ARCHER HITS WITH HER ARROWS AND DOWN GOES MADMAN AND THUNDER USES ULTI AND SANDWRAITH USES ULTI THIS IS ULTIMADNESS AND THERE GOES SCOUT LOOK AT HIM GO SO MUCH DAMAGE!!!!"

No offence, but just saying whats going on in teamfights doesnt make a caster good (especially minoxen and capitalist are bad at this). I get a headache listening to people just yelling what is going on.

I guess im in the minority with this opinion, so its probably nothings thats going to change, but just thought I'd put it out there. Perhaps someone else with competitive insight sees this and thinks "hell yeah, I dont yell obvious stuff all the time, I'm totally gonna go cast games!", and then it has served its purpose.

Oh, and on a final note, theres nothing worse than a caster who knows less about the game than the viewer. Its so frustrating to spot pro-moves, to recognize strategies or to understand the reasoning behind specific choices when it goes over the head of the caster (never happens with yawning, happens all the time with basicly any other caster). Thumbs up for bringing in Nova_ though, he's great.

+
# 33TheCapitalist Dec 25 2010, 05:58 AM
QUOTE(ScatterSpasm @ Dec 24 2010, 19:05 PM) *

I'm very sorry to hear that. Yawning is the only main caster i can stand listening to for any extended period of time. Not only is his insights always spot on, he's also extraordinarily funny and has a pleasant voice. Most importantly though, he doesnt just spew endless streams of useless crap like: "AND MOONQUEEN USES HER ULTI AND PESTI DIES AND GLACIUS USES SLOW AND WOW GOOD SLOW LOOK AT MADMAN BEING SLOWED HES SO SLOWED NOW FORSAKEN ARCHER HITS WITH HER ARROWS AND DOWN GOES MADMAN AND THUNDER USES ULTI AND SANDWRAITH USES ULTI THIS IS ULTIMADNESS AND THERE GOES SCOUT LOOK AT HIM GO SO MUCH DAMAGE!!!!"

No offence, but just saying whats going on in teamfights doesnt make a caster good (especially minoxen and capitalist are bad at this). I get a headache listening to people just yelling what is going on.

I guess im in the minority with this opinion, so its probably nothings thats going to change, but just thought I'd put it out there. Perhaps someone else with competitive insight sees this and thinks "hell yeah, I dont yell obvious stuff all the time, I'm totally gonna go cast games!", and then it has served its purpose.

Oh, and on a final note, theres nothing worse than a caster who knows less about the game than the viewer. Its so frustrating to spot pro-moves, to recognize strategies or to understand the reasoning behind specific choices when it goes over the head of the caster (never happens with yawning, happens all the time with basicly any other caster). Thumbs up for bringing in Nova_ though, he's great.

[Insert standard response about differences in taste]
Only reason I replied to this post was the support for YA. Glad to see people want him back, considering how much hate he got for his commentary. He's one of the few casters I truly enjoyed casting with cause he's so goddamn hilarious, and he is highly underrated. Bring back YA!

+
# 34LukDeRiff Dec 26 2010, 01:17 AM
QUOTE(TheCapitalist @ Dec 25 2010, 05:58 AM) *

[Insert standard response about differences in taste]
Bring back YA!

QFT goddamnit, finally some people realize why basically all of GR staff like Angels casts.

"A wild Magmus pops out of the woods, oh I suppose I should stop making Pokemon references"

I wub.gif Angel

+
# 35Ironkin Jan 30 2011, 01:39 AM
Hi

I love every cast i watch, and i almost watch them all, so first of all a huge thanks for making all of these fantastic shoutcasts.

Now, the only thing that kills it just a bit, is that i sometimes can just look at the number of replays uploaded for a particular matchup, and by watching the first one i can know the result of the second (if itīs a Bo5 ofc). I was just wondering, is it possible that even if a Bo5 ends in only 2 rounds, that you could make a third post just to atleast not give the result away by looking at the list of VoD's.

That was honestly the only thing i could think of, keep it up guys! (and girls ofc) smile.gif

+
# 36kustodian Jan 30 2011, 02:04 AM
QUOTE(Ironkin @ Jan 30 2011, 02:39 AM) *

Hi

I love every cast i watch, and i almost watch them all, so first of all a huge thanks for making all of these fantastic shoutcasts.

Now, the only thing that kills it just a bit, is that i sometimes can just look at the number of replays uploaded for a particular matchup, and by watching the first one i can know the result of the second (if itīs a Bo5 ofc). I was just wondering, is it possible that even if a Bo5 ends in only 2 rounds, that you could make a third post just to atleast not give the result away by looking at the list of VoD's.

That was honestly the only thing i could think of, keep it up guys! (and girls ofc) smile.gif

We are thinking of posting all the games from the same matchup in the same topic, so that you won't know how many games were played.

+
# 37Witchking' Feb 2 2011, 10:33 AM
I have a suggestion for the Ventcasts.

I find it a bit hard to distinguish who is who in the vent casts. It would help a lot if either every member presentates himself before the game (like "Hi, I am chu", "This is swindlemelonz", etc.) or if there could be a visual hint at the beginning of the casts who is speaking atm (a flashing circle around the nick name or icon in the picking phase would be enough). That would only be needed the first or second time someone speaks of course.

There are always new people that speak in the vent casts and you seldom know who is who except if you already listened to a previous vent cast from exactly that same team with the same people.

+
# 38Bob Loblaw Feb 3 2011, 15:20 PM
I agree, sometimes it takes a while to figure out who is who.

Game: Demigod

+
# 39Yubaba Feb 5 2011, 18:51 PM
I've been trying to get involved with casting as I think I could be a great co-caster (I'm British and middle class, and every clan I join says I should cast HoN games).

Biggest thing separating HoNcast from GR is that HoNcast has Breaky who is energetic, passionate and very quick in the action. By contrast some of the GR casters sound like they are reading from a script that they don't understand, in dopey undertones that really don't convey passion for the game. The lines "What do you think of x item pickup" and "Do you think hag will beat pebbles to runes?" come to mind.

Not having much luck so far getting an 'audition' but I think I would be a great caster... How do i get involved? Who do I talk to? Holyftw is ignoring me now so someone else?

+
# 40nkryptd Feb 6 2011, 09:54 AM
Can you plz tell Yawningangel to stop casting, his voice is so fucking annoying. I immediatly turn the vod off when i hear it. Only thing good about it is it's better than listening to breaky.

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)