Explore GameReplays...

Rise of the Witch King

War of the ring

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1Bl1indGuardian Aug 31 2017, 13:42 PM
hi fellas...i saw today my first 1vs1 war of the ring in youtube v 2.02.....i did not know war of the ring works in 2.02 version ...and if yes why dont we play it? its far more funny and far more strategy-depth

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 2Mako Aug 31 2017, 13:54 PM
2 reasons:
- you can play only 1v1 max with AIs.
- isn't a proper skirmish

Game: Rise of the Witch King

+
# 3Excelsior Sep 1 2017, 04:29 AM
2.02 is a patch of infinite details. We developers actually take great care of every single detail / feature of the game, including WotR. V7, for example, will introduce compatibility of the new Inn units for WotR. Everything is considered, including Arnor units for the campaign.

More on topic, WotR is the most underappreciated feature the game has to offer. It's extensively detailed and very fun to play. All it needs is exposure to the general community as a playable mode.

Clan: Brothers of War

+
# 4Bl1indGuardian Sep 1 2017, 08:37 AM
exactly that sir <3

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 5brabox Sep 1 2017, 17:34 PM
QUOTE(Mako @ Aug 31 2017, 14:54 PM) *

2 reasons:
- you can play only 1v1 max with AIs.
- isn't a proper skirmish

The first one is most important. You can only have 2 human players, so the max you can do is 1v1. Or 2v2/3v3 but you'll both have AI teammates. (or compstomp)

Another problem is the fact it takes a long time (but you can save in between, so it's not terrible).

Game: Rise of the Witchking 2.01

+
# 6MauH˙R Sep 1 2017, 17:37 PM
How long does/can a PvP 1v1 take?

+
# 7brabox Sep 1 2017, 18:08 PM
QUOTE(MauH˙R @ Sep 1 2017, 18:37 PM) *

Same as skirmish I think but there's a rather immediate limit. I.e. you can only earn, like, 2 PPs per game max. This also holds for experience (max 1-2 levels per game), so it makes games more spammy and macro oriented.

+
# 8bushit Sep 1 2017, 18:23 PM
i dont play it cuz i never really did and am probably tard at it, considering how horrible i am at chess, poker, and the like (i never played chess either so maybe it isn't me). But people tried to get me into such games and im like: why would i play this, i don't want to try to learn this, i must go now thnx

Clan: GoF|

+
# 9Excelsior Sep 2 2017, 11:57 AM
QUOTE(MauH˙R @ Sep 1 2017, 18:37 PM) *

Very long. Probably over 2 hours. It's very easy to extend the length of the game purposely.

Clan: Brothers of War

+
# 10brabox Sep 2 2017, 12:11 PM
QUOTE(Excelsior @ Sep 2 2017, 12:57 PM) *

Very long. Probably over 2 hours. It's very easy to extend the length of the game purposely.

Lol I totally misread Mauh˙r's question -.-

Anyway, yeah, it can take hours and hours and hours. But you can save in between so I guess it's OK. Also, within one RTS battle there's no incentive to extend the game because that only allows your opponent to build a huge upgraded army. Or get MHHs that they can't get in on the risk map.

+
# 11Sabriael Sep 5 2017, 11:03 AM
On the point of MHHs- should it be made possible to get them on the map? And, if possible, limit the number of them allowed to be kept on the world map. Otherwise you'll end up with someone like me, who enters the final few battles with 5 lvl 7+ Noldor hordes... not to mention the hilarity of mass Fire Drake Broodlings. Everyone should try it.

Another point- the world map isn't even vaguely balanced with the distribution of bonuses. There are two areas on the map where it's possible to amass 40pp with only 5 territories, there's also the capacity to get 2k income per turn of similarly small territory numbers, while other areas only give relatively weak bonuses.

Aside from Minas Morgul the fortress maps are actually a liability (especially Rivendale), because the lack of exp and pp gain during the battles makes upgraded fortresses extremely important during otherwise even matches. Nothing like a pair of Eagles to give someone the needed edge in a meatgrinder match. The only reason to get them is the PP bonus they give- excluding Fornost, the only fortress map that doesn't give pp. The best area for PPs is the grey havens- the shire- barrow downs- amon sul area, as all but amon sul can have actual, upgradable fortresses built in them. Amon sul is incidentally the only non-fortress map that cannot have a fortress built in it.

Yes, I have thought about this a lot.

+
# 12brabox Sep 5 2017, 13:31 PM
QUOTE(Sabriael @ Sep 5 2017, 12:03 PM) *

On the point of MHHs- should it be made possible to get them on the map? And, if possible, limit the number of them allowed to be kept on the world map.

Yes, you can make them recruitable from the world map. But I don't think you can limit their numbers.
The only possibility I see is to add Black Riders as a hero horde for Mordor. They would work like, say, Eowyn. A non-army leader hero that can be purchased from the fort and only 1 instance can be alive.

Otherwise you'll end up with someone like me, who enters the final few battles with 5 lvl 7+ Noldor hordes... not to mention the hilarity of mass Fire Drake Broodlings. Everyone should try it.

That is a problem now, yeah, but I don't think it's a big deal. In PvP that won't ever happen.

Another point- the world map isn't even vaguely balanced with the distribution of bonuses. There are two areas on the map where it's possible to amass 40pp with only 5 territories, there's also the capacity to get 2k income per turn of similarly small territory numbers, while other areas only give relatively weak bonuses.

I think we can change all that.
Could you draft a list of bonuses that you would think are good? I see no reason why we couldn't include that in the next 2.02 patch.

Aside from Minas Morgul the fortress maps are actually a liability (especially Rivendale), because the lack of exp and pp gain during the battles makes upgraded fortresses extremely important during otherwise even matches.

I don't agree at all. With fort maps you immediately get 800 CP, the ability to recruit builders, and 2k starting gold.

That said, I see no reason why you shouldn't be allowed to also build a regular fort for 5k on fortress maps.

Yes, I have thought about this a lot.

But are you ready to put it in to practice?
I challenge you to a 1v1 WoTR duel on v7.0.0. I'll play offhost. We can save in between and it may take a month, I don't care.
Fite me

+
# 13Sabriael Sep 6 2017, 02:30 AM
I don't agree at all. With fort maps you immediately get 800 CP, the ability to recruit builders, and 2k starting gold.

Vs an ordinary map with a fortress built in it, where you've got 5k starting gold, the ability to recruit builders, and the ability to upgrade almost instantly to Eagle/ Fire Drake, PLUS 300 income and the ability to recruit heroes on the world map. The only advantage of the fort maps is the 800 CP start and the lack of paying to auto defend on the world map. Combine that with somewhere like Rivendale, which has no strategic value on the world map, no actual enclosure (the bridge on the side makes the gate worthless), and the attacker gets instant access to the neutral buildings, and the only worthwhile thing about it is the 10pp you get.

That said, I see no reason why you shouldn't be allowed to also build a regular fort for 5k on fortress maps.

Agreed. Dwarves can technically already do this with Summoned Citadel. Can this be fixed?

Yes, you can make them recruitable from the world map. But I don't think you can limit their numbers.The only possibility I see is to add Black Riders as a hero horde for Mordor. They would work like, say, Eowyn. A non-army leader hero that can be purchased from the fort and only 1 instance can be alive.

The most of any MHH allowed is 3, right? Should we add MHHs to Fortresses for all sides, and limit their training in battles dependent on their presence in the world map same as heroes?

Could you draft a list of bonuses that you would think are good? I see no reason why we couldn't include that in the next 2.02 patch.

Sure.

I challenge you to a 1v1 WoTR duel on v7.0.0. I'll play offhost. We can save in between and it may take a month, I don't care.

Ok then. I'll need to set up a Gameranger account, and I suspect it'll take more than a month (given my on-and-off internet issues). Let's do this.

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)