Explore GameReplays...

Rise of the Witch King

New Mentor Program - What do you want?

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1MauH˙R Sep 10 2017, 15:15 PM
Hello everyone,

Since our patch release was a big success and the sign-ups for the 1v1 tournament are higher than we ever imagined, we decided to run a new mentor program in October in order to help the newcomers improve and get familiar with online play.

For those of you who don't know, a mentor/mentee program pairs newer players to competitive RotWK and/or 2.02 (mentees) with experienced players (mentors). Mentors work closely with their assigned mentees to help them improve their skill level, exchange thoughts about the game and get to know eachother better. This program has been very successful in the past to lower the learning curve for new players.

To make this experience as helpful and enjoyable as possible for everyone, we would like to hear your suggestions and wishes as for how to run it this time.
For how long would you like the program to run?
What type of practice would you appreciate the most?
Would you like a little tournament or another event at the weekends to compete with the other mentees?

Please give us as much input on this as possible because we want this event to be about you! Your progress, your 2.02 experience, your fun!

Game: Rise of the Witch King

+
# 2Ultimategladia Sep 10 2017, 16:55 PM
I really like the idea of the mentees tournament, that can inspire new players to improve even more their abilities, but I have some questions
How you know what people can be the mentors and how will you make the pairs (put x mentor to a new player), what reasons are enough to make it?
When it would start?
Now my answers to your questions:
The program should run maybe 1-2 months or until the mentees feel prepare to start playing for themselves, without help
The most help a mentor can give is explaining different strategies, how to start, most useful units at x situations...

This is what I think, I feel this can be "that thing" rotwk needs to "rise" again and attract more people, of course also improving actual players who have problems at growing in this game.

+
# 3Phoenix Sep 10 2017, 17:06 PM
Nice! smile.gif For those of you who haven't participated in something like this in the past, I highly recommend signing up this time around. Experienced players have the opportunity to increase the competitive playing pool, which means faster games going forward, and newer players have an opportunity to get better at the game much faster.

Are there plans to have more advanced mentoring sessions for players who aren't necessarily new, but aren't "pro" either? I think I would be interested in that tongue.gif. Also would help me out a lot since I will be very rusty with the game since I haven't played in a while.

To answer the questions:
QUOTE(MauH˙R @ Sep 10 2017, 07:15 AM) *

For how long would you like the program to run?

I wouldn't set a final end date. I would set a minimum end date, meaning that mentors and mentees are expected to participate at least that amount of time, but mentors and mentees should be free to continue teaching/developing their skills indefinitely. In the past we'd create a topic for each pair and as long as a particular topic remains active, it can remain there as long as needed by the participants for use.

What type of practice would you appreciate the most?

One of the things I liked was when you were teaching me how to micro better in the past, by having to move around a lot of units around the map really fast. I think teaching people the strategies is the easy part, but getting them to make lightning-fast decisions and multitask effectively is very hard. This is also something also useful to advanced players, not just new ones, and it's one of the things that traditionally didn't get covered much in mentoring programs (the response was always just "Play more games, you'll get better at this on your own").

Would you like a little tournament or another event at the weekends to compete with the other mentees?

It wouldn't have to be a tournament (except maybe one at the very end to see how far everyone has come perhaps), but it would be nice to give people the opportunity to play with a wider group of people.

Clan: Corruption of Light

+
# 4TaDa! Sep 10 2017, 17:07 PM
If smone really wants to get better he doesnt need any mentor - just spam 1x1s and think. If smone wants attention, conversations and other such stuff so he really needs mentor program.

+
# 5sleeper Sep 10 2017, 17:21 PM
i could help cam a bit.

Clan: [FtN]

+
# 6bushit Sep 10 2017, 18:11 PM
It can be easier to spam 1v1 when u have someone to report to or discuss with
Sort of like 2 people brainstorming, one being more experienced, and 1v1 is the testing ground

Clan: GoF|

+
# 7Poero Sep 10 2017, 20:02 PM
If you can find mentees that are interested in becoming better players via being mentored, it's a very good idea. I think you should make some sort of poll/inquiry about how many would be interested. Having mentee tournament later would be fun idea, or you could even make it mentor+mentee vs mentor+mentee tournament as well.

Spamming 1v1s can be quite hard if you just lose and lose games without anyone telling you what you're doing wrong. Especially when most people playing 1v1s regularly are quite good, so the games might last only 5 minutes which makes improving quite challenging. Not to mention it's far from enjoyable. Would you like to play any game against expert and just keep getting your ass handed over without even knowing how?

It's not like this old game is being played for any other reason than for fun. So we should try to help newer players find fun in it, rather than just doing the old "git gud nab" approach.

Game: Rise of the Witchking 2.01

+
# 8Mako Sep 10 2017, 20:08 PM
QUOTE(Poero @ Sep 10 2017, 20:02 PM) *

If you can find mentees that are interested in becoming better players via being mentored, it's a very good idea. I think you.

It's not like this old game is being played for any other reason than for fun. So we should try to help newer players find fun in it, rather than just doing the old "git gud nab" approach.

Yes you got the points. A great IF. Often new players aren't interested so much and new players doesn't like things like spam games, se replays, use GR forums, ... . But definitively we have to propose for them sometimes something!

And I want repeat myself, the idea of first brackets I did was exactly to don't gangbang nabs.

+
# 9MauH˙R Sep 10 2017, 20:49 PM
I like the idea of creating sth like two tiers for mentees, cause there's definitely a lot of players who have been playing the game for a year or two and arent doing bad but could still use some advice. And then the really new ones who have to be taught the very basics first.

+
# 10Megrim Sep 10 2017, 21:38 PM
QUOTE(MauH˙R @ Sep 10 2017, 20:49 PM) *

I like the idea of creating sth like two tiers for mentees, cause there's definitely a lot of players who have been playing the game for a year or two and arent doing bad but could still use some advice. And then the really new ones who have to be taught the very basics first.

And then theres Mako who has been playing this game for a few years and still has to be taught the very basics.

+
# 11MauH˙R Sep 10 2017, 21:50 PM
QUOTE(Megrim @ Sep 10 2017, 21:38 PM) *

And then theres Mako who has been playing this game for a few years and still has to be taught the very basics.

And English.

+
# 12Mako Sep 10 2017, 22:02 PM

QUOTE(MauH˙R @ Sep 10 2017, 21:50 PM) *

And English.

Too much love from german world.

Btw you have my Axe Solas! I won't join as mentee becasue it is 1v1. But if my mentor is megrim... well... well I'm in!

+
# 13Jaberwaukee Sep 10 2017, 23:31 PM
good idea, its about time i become the best.

I think its a great idea to bring it back. what if instead of there just being a tourney at the end, there was also one at the very beginning to determine who gets put with what mentor. For example, it would be better to know the skill levels of all the mentees before assigning them mentors so that the best mentors are working with the best of the mentees. That way everyone would still be getting taught what they need but those who arent completely noobs wouldn't have to try and learn from someone they are almost as good as. then again maybe a tourney at the beginning and the end is a little much.

+
# 14Excelsior Sep 11 2017, 01:19 AM
QUOTE(Phoenix @ Sep 10 2017, 18:06 PM) *

Are there plans to have more advanced mentoring sessions for players who aren't necessarily new, but aren't "pro" either? I think I would be interested in that tongue.gif. Also would help me out a lot since I will be very rusty with the game since I haven't played in a while.

I agree with this. Classify mentoring in two tiers: basic and intermediate. Basic players would receive intense, ground level mentoring, and intermediate receive the meatier detail of the game.

I wouldn't set a final end date. I would set a minimum end date, meaning that mentors and mentees are expected to participate at least that amount of time, but mentors and mentees should be free to continue teaching/developing their skills indefinitely. In the past we'd create a topic for each pair and as long as a particular topic remains active, it can remain there as long as needed by the participants for use.

This is probably the best way to go.

Clan: Brothers of War

+
# 15LeTigres Sep 11 2017, 09:05 AM
I'd teach you guys how to trashtalk and you can join Muadd if you want to get daily nudes and become trash.

+
# 16Mako Sep 11 2017, 09:07 AM
Stay on topic pls.

+
# 17sayang Sep 11 2017, 18:39 PM
QUOTE(LeTigres @ Sep 11 2017, 09:05 AM) *

I'd teach you guys how to trashtalk and you can join Muadd if you want to get daily nudes and become trash.

actually adam didint say sth funny for a long time this was quite amusing....thought he lost it

+
# 18sayang Sep 11 2017, 18:44 PM

Megrim?? sign him up as mentee
one of those new players who play the game for a while and then quit it after u told him the basics ... hes so typical for the new players that come from youtube

+
# 19ballsdeep Sep 11 2017, 21:31 PM
Looking for a mentor if someone wants to take me on ^^

+
# 20StrayHeart Sep 13 2017, 06:36 AM
QUOTE(TaDa! @ Sep 10 2017, 18:07 PM) *

If smone really wants to get better he doesnt need any mentor - just spam 1x1s and think. If smone wants attention, conversations and other such stuff so he really needs mentor program.

+1

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)