# 22MauHúR Nov 22 2017, 13:15 PM
QUOTE(Hayko @ Nov 22 2017, 12:07 PM) *

GameRanger ID: 5807820
GameRanger Display Name: lost_guy

Applying for: mentee
Team: Forces of Light (FoL)
Faction(s) to learn: Goblins, Mordor, Elves, Angmar

Hi,
The idea is that if you sign up for team FoL you should only be mentored in FoL factions, as those would be the factions you'd have to participate with in the events.
If you really feel like learning FoD factions aswell it's ok I guess, but you'll have to play with your FoL factions in the events if you participate in them.

Game: Rise of the Witch King

+
# 23Luke6193 Nov 23 2017, 12:23 PM
I'd suggest cutting the whole FoL/FoD stuff, the majority of the basic principles for this game are very similar for all factions. Suggesting that mentees should only be looking to learn one faction or type of faction already sets the wrong idea up in their minds imo.

Game: Rise of the Witchking 2.01

+
# 24MauHúR Nov 23 2017, 13:36 PM
QUOTE(Luke6193 @ Nov 23 2017, 12:23 PM) *

I'd suggest cutting the whole FoL/FoD stuff, the majority of the basic principles for this game are very similar for all factions. Suggesting that mentees should only be looking to learn one faction or type of faction already sets the wrong idea up in their minds imo.

What would that wrong idea be? Sure when it comes to building Farms they're all relatively similar, but if you're playing Ang vs. Mordor the one day, Dwarf vs. Gob the next day and Elf vs. Isen another day, there's going to be a ton of very different details on why you lost that game or why you did well in the other game that no beginner can fully understand and he will just end up with very little knowledge about each faction and their MUs.
I've always been against the casual pick random and you'll be fine stance that this game with it's 6/7 factions had. You end up with beginners that all hate Dwarves and suck with Ang, play Men, Elf and Isen cause they're simple and like Gobs and Mordor cause they have fun units, but the actual improvement comes 6 months later than it could cause they dont stick to one thing.

+
# 25tothervin Nov 23 2017, 20:48 PM
GameRanger ID: 5642781
GameRanger Display Name: csetlekbotlok
Discord ID (optional):

Applying for: (mentor or mentee) mentee
Team:Forces of Darkness (FoD)
Faction(s) to learn: all of them, preferred angmar the most back when I played a long time ago

+
# 26Ultimategladia Nov 26 2017, 00:14 AM
When will we start playing mentor-mentee?

+
# 27MauHúR Nov 26 2017, 01:06 AM
QUOTE(Ultimategladia @ Nov 26 2017, 00:14 AM) *

When will we start playing mentor-mentee?

1st Dec.

+
# 28Velajuel Nov 26 2017, 06:58 AM
GameRanger ID: 8575483
GameRanger Display Name: Velamar
Discord ID (optional):Velamar#0150

Applying for: Mentee! WOOOOOOO
Team: Forces of Light! LETS GO BABYYYYYY
Faction(s) to learn: Men (meh) Maybe Elves

Timezone: Pacific Time Zone

+
# 29Luke6193 Nov 26 2017, 19:46 PM
QUOTE(MauHúR @ Nov 23 2017, 14:36 PM) *

What would that wrong idea be? Sure when it comes to building Farms they're all relatively similar, but if you're playing Ang vs. Mordor the one day, Dwarf vs. Gob the next day and Elf vs. Isen another day, there's going to be a ton of very different details on why you lost that game or why you did well in the other game that no beginner can fully understand and he will just end up with very little knowledge about each faction and their MUs.
I've always been against the casual pick random and you'll be fine stance that this game with it's 6/7 factions had. You end up with beginners that all hate Dwarves and suck with Ang, play Men, Elf and Isen cause they're simple and like Gobs and Mordor cause they have fun units, but the actual improvement comes 6 months later than it could cause they dont stick to one thing.

The wrong idea is that one faction is completely different from the other and they should concentrate on just being good at one faction. The have different units but the fundamentals of how to play and general game mechanics, micro and macro, expanding, its very similar for each faction. Mentees should be taught how to play the game to a high standard, not how to play one faction. It leads to this idea that 'oh im good with men but bad with isen' for example, thats bs, if you're good at the game, you're good at the game, mentees should be taught to play the game, and therefore every faction.

Game: Rise of the Witchking 2.01

+
# 30bushit Nov 26 2017, 20:13 PM
But if the fundamentals are the same and every faction so similar, then it doesn't matter if someone picks one faction or plays every faction, since they will be learning stuff they can use for every, as you say.

Plus I don't think the mentor program is months long to teach people how to play every faction matchup specifically, it's a relatively short span

This post has been edited by bushit: Nov 26 2017, 20:17 PM

Clan: GoF|

+
# 31MauHúR Nov 26 2017, 20:16 PM
QUOTE(Luke6193 @ Nov 26 2017, 19:46 PM) *

The wrong idea is that one faction is completely different from the other and they should concentrate on just being good at one faction. The have different units but the fundamentals of how to play and general game mechanics, micro and macro, expanding, its very similar for each faction. Mentees should be taught how to play the game to a high standard, not how to play one faction. It leads to this idea that 'oh im good with men but bad with isen' for example, thats bs, if you're good at the game, you're good at the game, mentees should be taught to play the game, and therefore every faction.

Well if your idea of how to play "the game" is to build a lot of farms, non-stop unit production, good multiprong harass, unit composition etc, then I dont see how you wouldnt learn that from focusing on 1-3 factions but would by playing everything. The mechanical aspect of learning wont suffer no matter if and what you pick as long as you practice it the right way, so the FoL vs. Fod theme isnt gonna hurt. Plus they gonna end up with more faction specific knowledge than the other way.

+
# 32DreadReapr Nov 27 2017, 16:58 PM
learning one faction at a time is defenitly faster improvement, ignore luke's post

btw remove me from this program

+
# 33Panostony Nov 27 2017, 21:56 PM
Unfortunately i will not be online december days...

This post has been edited by Panostony: Nov 27 2017, 22:01 PM

+
# 34Mellitus Nov 27 2017, 23:18 PM
I'd like to sign up as a mentee, as a new player I must say I really appriciate the effort to get us neewbies into the game.

GameRanger ID: 9025248
GameRanger Display Name: Mellitus
GameRanger Real Name: Johan
GameRanger Email: [email protected]
Discord ID (optional): Mellitus#9914

Applying for: Mentee
Team: Forces of Light (FoL).
Faction(s) to learn: Men of the West and Elves, equally interested in both.

Timezone: +1 GMT (Sweden)

Again, great way to get new players in and keep the community alive.

This post has been edited by Mellitus: Nov 27 2017, 23:22 PM

+
# 35MauHúR Nov 27 2017, 23:26 PM
QUOTE(Mellitus @ Nov 27 2017, 23:18 PM) *

I'd like to sign up as a mentee, as a new player I must say I really appriciate the effort to get us neewbies into the game.

GameRanger ID: 9025248
GameRanger Display Name: Mellitus
GameRanger Real Name: Johan
GameRanger Email: [email protected]
Discord ID (optional): Mellitus#9914

Faction(s) to learn: Men of the West and Elves, equally interested in both.
Timezone: +1 GMT (Sweden)

Again, great way to get new players in and keep the community alive.

Welcome!

+
# 36Mako Nov 28 2017, 09:57 AM
I'd like to sign up as a mentee

GameRanger ID: 6078903
GameRanger Display Name: Mako
Discord ID (optional): Mako#1431

Faction(s) to learn: Dwarves

Timezone: +1 GMT (Italian)

Not sure I want spam 1v1 But let's try.

+
# 37bushit Nov 28 2017, 10:43 AM
gameranger ID: 1180984

bushit

MENTOR pls thanks. evil armies + dwarf are most fun to mentor i think

This post has been edited by bushit: Nov 28 2017, 10:54 AM

Clan: GoF|

+
# 38mnxman Nov 29 2017, 00:38 AM
GameRanger ID:8182378
GameRanger Display Name MN-XMAN
Applying for: mentee
Team:fod
Faction(s) to learn:isen

+
# 39Istari_ Nov 29 2017, 04:52 AM
Each mentor has his own style of teaching but I do recommand this approach : first teaching all the global basics (what Luke actually meant) - this is the longer part - and then moving deeper in the understanding of one single faction (present's patch strenghts and weaknesses, and then each MU) and as Solas pointed it's already a lot of work to digest and memorize each case.

I personally don't enjoy that much playing against one trick ponies either but right there it's the best and fastest way to get results.

+
# 40Derfel_ Nov 29 2017, 11:53 AM
Hi, I'm here to sign up as a mentee. Dark suggested me to do so yesterday, so I put here my info:

mentee

GameRanger ID: 5224149
GameRanger Display Name: Derfel

Team: everything in general, but let's start with FoL
Faction(s) to learn: Dwarves

Timezone: +1 GMT (Italian)

thanks for this mentoring program initiative.
I played a lot years ago (EA times), but after that i played your (great) 2.02 patch in different versions only from time to time, 'cause i don't have much time usually

This post has been edited by Derfel_: Nov 29 2017, 12:07 PM

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)