Rise of the Witch King

2018 january tournament

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1Mr.SmOKing Dec 19 2017, 23:28 PM
I want this event in the future.

Game: Rise of the Witch King

+
# 2Muadd Dec 20 2017, 03:58 AM
Too many tourneys. Half of the games are not even played. What every staff member should be doing is helping stray with the ladder. Its all that the game needs. No more patches. No more shitmaps. No more nothing

Clan: GoF|

+
# 3Turgon Dec 20 2017, 11:04 AM
QUOTE(Muadd @ Dec 20 2017, 03:58 AM) *

Too many tourneys. Half of the games are not even played. What every staff member should be doing is helping stray with the ladder. Its all that the game needs. No more patches. No more shitmaps. No more nothing

true

+
# 4bushit Dec 20 2017, 11:25 AM
Stray chooses to work on his ladder on his own. Staff can only help test, that's it.

No more patches or maps? gtfo noobs. Those are forms of community involvement, great for any game.

+
# 5Ghost` Dec 20 2017, 15:02 PM
QUOTE(bushit @ Dec 20 2017, 11:25 AM) *

Stray chooses to work on his ladder on his own. Staff can only help test, that's it.

No more patches or maps? gtfo noobs. Those are forms of community involvement, great for any game.

shut the fuck up

Clan: [FtN]

Game: Rise of the Witchking 2.01

+
# 6bushit Dec 20 2017, 15:42 PM
QUOTE(Ghost` @ Dec 20 2017, 10:02 AM) *

shut the fuck up

tg charming individual

+
# 7StrayHeart Dec 20 2017, 16:19 PM
QUOTE(bushit @ Dec 20 2017, 12:25 PM) *

This is also all I asked you for, nothing more. You cannot help me with developing because there is no other web developer in this community. All you can do is test and report any issues.

I made official Beta 1.06.1 release to start testing if ReplayParser app works for everyone, to test the way I calculate points. Cba adding any new features unless I see community contribution.

+
# 8brabox Dec 20 2017, 16:59 PM
QUOTE(Muadd @ Dec 20 2017, 04:58 AM) *

1. Tourneys are better than nothing, even if some ppl don't play their games
2. Not all staff members can code
3. Stray doesn't allow us to help
4. Patches and other content like maps also improve activity

You need to understand we're a non-profit staff, that means we don't always have a grand plan or work perfectly optimized. Usually, staffers just do what they feel like. No sense working on stuff you don't enjoy if you aren't getting paid.

For instance, you think Mako, Ab3r, Destroyer and Excelsior are personally interested in a ladder system? No. So they'd only be doing this for the general good of the community. And there's only so much motivation a person has and it runs out quickly. Especially if the community is rarely satisfied with the work staff does.

+
# 9Mako Dec 20 2017, 19:05 PM
I'm not interested stop.

+
# 10Excelsior Dec 20 2017, 19:19 PM
QUOTE(brabox @ Dec 20 2017, 16:59 PM) *

You need to understand we're a non-profit staff, that means we don't always have a grand plan or work perfectly optimized. Usually, staffers just do what they feel like. No sense working on stuff you don't enjoy if you aren't getting paid.

For instance, you think Mako, Ab3r, Destroyer and Excelsior are personally interested in a ladder system? No. So they'd only be doing this for the general good of the community. And there's only so much motivation a person has and it runs out quickly. Especially if the community is rarely satisfied with the work staff does.

^This.

The people who complain the most usually do the least, always pointing a finger at those who keep the game going. Ironic, isn't it? We're not forced to do what we do, yet we do it anyway out of passion. Appreciate what you have, especially since it's been spoonfed to you.

Clan: Brothers of War

+
# 11TheRanger_ Dec 21 2017, 17:46 PM
QUOTE(Excelsior @ Dec 20 2017, 19:19 PM) *

The people who complain the most usually do the least, always pointing a finger at those who keep the game going. Ironic, isn't it? We're not forced to do what we do, yet we do it anyway out of passion. Appreciate what you have, especially since it's been spoonfed to you.

+
# 12Eonwe^^ Dec 21 2017, 19:57 PM
QUOTE(brabox @ Dec 20 2017, 16:59 PM) *

Stray doesnt allow you to help ? Wait cause I get lost there, you mean he doesnt allow you to help him with testing his app ?
And plz dont start with open source code cause thats silly reason.I bet if anyone of staff member would help him with coding. You as a staff who are making this game alive as you claim should atleast popularize this project as its already ready for tests to get some feedback for him. Reading such a posts "Stray doesnt allow us to help" is just pathetic. Our community has great chance for building a good cw platform so plz guys dont leave Stray with things what should be on this site, how its should like cause he should only focus on programming.

+
# 13brabox Dec 21 2017, 20:15 PM
QUOTE(Eonwe^^ @ Dec 21 2017, 20:57 PM) *
Stray doesnt allow you to help ? Wait cause I get lost there, you mean he doesnt allow you to help him with testing his app ?

I meant helping with development of course.

I'm pushing for staff to help test the ladder. Also, I've asked other people to do so.

And plz dont start with open source code cause thats silly reason.

We need a guarantee that staff will be able to modify the ladder website and software in the future. Ideally, the thing will be open source but I'm open for compromises.

We already have a platform that is controlled by 1 single person (ClanWars) and look at how extremely inconvenient that is. Forgive me for not jumping up and down with joy and throw everything aside and spend 100% of my RotWK time on promoting a half-finished ladder...

I bet if anyone nobody of staff member would help him with coding.

(I edited this into what I think you mean)

Personally I would help if I could.
Furthermore, as I already said it would motivate people greatly if they're actually contributing to a platform that either staff or the community can controlled as opposed to a project with 1 authoritarian developer.

You as a staff who are making this game alive as you claim should atleast popularize this project as its already ready for tests to get some feedback for him. Reading such a posts "Stray doesnt allow us to help" is just pathetic. Our community has great chance for building a good cw platform so plz guys dont leave Stray with things what should be on this site, how its should like cause he should only focus on programming.

I've explained my reasoning. I never meant to say: StrayHeart doesn't allow us to test the ladder. I meant: he doesn't allow us to help develop.

Of course we should help test as long as it's plausible for this thing to be better than CW.

But how much time we (staff) spend depends on how much faith we have in the project. And sadly, I can't say that I'm totally convinced yet.

+
# 14Excelsior Dec 21 2017, 21:46 PM
Pretty much what Brabox said.

We've been hoping, at the very least, that the project is made available to the staff, as this is a project centered around 2.02. Take 2.02 development, for example. We don't allow only one person to work on it - those who express interest in helping us and are willing to learn are given access. The 2.02 project has seen many coders come and go. How do you suppose it's still be actively in development until today?

+
# 15Eonwe^^ Dec 21 2017, 23:08 PM
QUOTE(Excelsior @ Dec 21 2017, 21:46 PM) *

Pretty much what Brabox said.

We've been hoping, at the very least, that the project is made available to the staff, as this is a project centered around 2.02. Take 2.02 development, for example. We don't allow only one person to work on it - those who express interest in helping us and are willing to learn are given access. The 2.02 project has seen many coders come and go. How do you suppose it's still be actively in development until today?

No offense but making patches and building a totally new thing is a bit different. Try to be on his place, he is making this project idk from may and almost everyday spend time on it. From begining he decided to make this by his own cause he have vision so in what way you could help him there? As you could see no one ever belive of making cw platform with autoreport. Sometimes one person that actually know what it is doing is better than a few with less knowledge.

+
# 16Excelsior Dec 22 2017, 02:42 AM
QUOTE(Eonwe^^ @ Dec 21 2017, 23:08 PM) *

No offense but making patches and building a totally new thing is a bit different. Try to be on his place, he is making this project idk from may and almost everyday spend time on it. From begining he decided to make this by his own cause he have vision so in what way you could help him there? As you could see no one ever belive of making cw platform with autoreport. Sometimes one person that actually know what it is doing is better than a few with less knowledge.

I'm not equating the two projects in terms of knowledge requirement. Also, this isn't about how little we can offer, but more about being able to support the project ensuring that it doesn't die out the moment the sole owner decides to take extended leave. Furthermore, I believe somebody like Brabox is more than qualified to help Stray, but it all comes down to whether Stray's willing to accept his help or not. happy.gif

+
# 17brabox Dec 22 2017, 10:22 AM
QUOTE(Eonwe^^ @ Dec 22 2017, 00:08 AM) *

No offense but making patches and building a totally new thing is a bit different. Try to be on his place, he is making this project idk from may and almost everyday spend time on it.

When 2.02 started it was also a completely new thing. The new launcher is also a completely new thing. Yet, the community gets access to the code of both. Because it's a community project, not a for-profit one, it makes no sense to not share what you're doing.

How many hours do you think Excelsior spent developing 2.02? Does that somehow make it right if he decides to hide his code? So that if he leaves, we'd have to start back at version 3.6 or something?

From begining he decided to make this by his own cause he have vision so in what way you could help him there?

That's false, I did a voice chat with him before he even started working. I even helped provide ideas. At that point he didn't make it clear to me what his intentions were to go "lone wolf" on this project.

As you could see no one ever belive of making cw platform with autoreport. Sometimes one person that actually know what it is doing is better than a few with less knowledge.

No one? I literally had the same idea that StrayHeart had when he started working on it. When people asked me, I confirmed that Stray's ideas were technically possible. So you're exaggerating when you say nobody believed making autoreport was possible.

Also, don't make the mistake of thinking the ladder is somehow a much more difficult project than anything else related to RotWK. I respect the work that is being put into it, but in the end it's a webpage and an application that deals with simple file formats (bfme replays and screenshots).

As I've already stated: it's sad we can't have a ladder that's 100% for the community. But I will still help whenever I can to improve the ladder. I personally already tested it and gave StrayHeart my feedback.

+
# 18DreadReapr Dec 23 2017, 13:23 PM
he should share his project with any trusted stafff or non staff, the more to work on it the better.

+
# 19Poero Dec 23 2017, 21:01 PM
QUOTE(DreadReapr @ Dec 23 2017, 13:23 PM) *

he should share his project with any trusted stafff or non staff, the more to work on it the better.

Thing is that when ppl are doing work for free/voluntarily, they do not need to do anything at all. We as community are not entitled to ask for anything at all from anyone, well maybe from EA but that's a different story...

Anyways we all want to see this happen, badly. We just can't really do anything but offer help and accept that it might not be needed/wanted.

+
# 20bushit Dec 24 2017, 00:19 AM
ye i don't mind if stray wants it to be his project, would be cool if it was open cuz I think brabox could help a lot but idm really

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)