Explore GameReplays...

Rise of the Witch King

Unlocking Arnor

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1Vanders Feb 2 2018, 03:04 AM
I'd like to unlock Arnor as a playable faction, but I'm not exactly sure how to do it. I've read that you need to edit the ini.big file under playertemplate.ini and change the playable parameter to "yes". I did this but can't find Arnor listed anywhere to actually use the faction.

I also have unofficial patch 2.02 if that pertains to what I'm trying to do. By the way, I'm aware that it is a skeleton faction and all that.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: Solved down below thanks to Andy San. Would be brilliant if one day the 2.02 team would complete the faction or at least polish it for single player. They seem almost done despite being a mishmash of Elves and MotW. I made a quick report down below about the problems with the faction although everyone is probably already aware.

This post has been edited by Vanders: Feb 5 2018, 12:34 PM

Game: Rise of the Witch King

+
# 2Andy San Feb 3 2018, 01:20 AM
not a good idea because only 10% of the faction is done by EA.

+
# 3Vanders Feb 3 2018, 03:04 AM
QUOTE(Andy San @ Feb 3 2018, 11:20 AM) *

not a good idea because only 10% of the faction is done by EA.

Yes, I know. They are mostly a mish-mashed copy of MotW and Elves. I still want to use them which I can't seem to figure out how to do.

+
# 4Andy San Feb 3 2018, 12:24 PM
If you are trying to be compatible with patch 2.02, change the name of the new file for something like ##########202_arnor with one more # than v7.0.0, it should work just fine in case you changed that parameter to yes.

This post has been edited by Andy San: Feb 3 2018, 12:28 PM

+
# 5TheRingisHot Feb 3 2018, 15:53 PM
you need 999+ wins to unlock arnor

+
# 6Vanders Feb 4 2018, 11:10 AM
QUOTE(Andy San @ Feb 3 2018, 22:24 PM) *

If you are trying to be compatible with patch 2.02, change the name of the new file for something like ##########202_arnor with one more # than v7.0.0, it should work just fine in case you changed that parameter to yes.

Thanks. I'll give it a go and see what happens.

QUOTE(TheRingisHot @ Feb 4 2018, 01:53 AM) *

You're so mean. sad.gif

+
# 7Vanders Feb 5 2018, 10:44 AM
QUOTE(Andy San @ Feb 3 2018, 22:24 PM) *

Yay, it worked! Thanks so much Andy San! I copied the ini.big, changed the parameter and name, and put an extra #. Now there are eight factions!

By the way, by copying the ini.big will any of 2.02 be overwritten? Also, how could I make Arnor usable in the WotR mode for the Fall of Arnor scenario? They are greyed out.

A couple of things I've noticed that the 2.02 team is probably already aware of and have probably long decided not to support Arnor, but I'll write the down anyway in the vain hope that they will one day. From a non-modder's perspective it doesn't seem like too much work to polish the faction for someone who knows what they are doing:

1. Most of the upgrades are available for all appropriate units it seems except for a few exceptions. The Fire Stone upgrade for the Trebuchet remains greyed-out even after upgrading the Siege Works to level two. Also, you cannot research the Elven Armour upgrade for Elven units because there is no building that contains the research. Despite having the icons for Banner Carriers and Forged Blades they remain greyed out for the Mithlond Sentries and Rivendell Lancers even after research. These omissions might be for balance reasons, though (except for the trebuchet).

2. Visual effects for Fire Arrows and Heavy Weapons does not show on Arnor Soldiers and Archers.

3. Lindon Warriors (Noldor Warriors) seem to have a very short range for them to attack enemies without a command seeing as their range is so far. Enemy archers easily attack them from safety until you order them to attack.

4. There are a couple of name inconsistencies with some units when moving the cursor over them. For example, in the barracks the Tower Guard are called the Arnor Tower Guard, but on the field they are call Dunedain Royal Guard. Arnor Archers are called Dunedain Arches on the field but not in the barracks. Ithilian Rangers are (appropriately) called Dunedain Rangers on the field but not in the barracks. I'm not sure if this makes sense, but in the Barracks and on the field Noldor Warriors are called Lindon Warriors.

5. Arvedui and Arveleg don't have Command Point requirements. Arveleg only has a campaign ability which is useless.

So far, although they are a mishmash of Elves and MotW, I'm still having a lot of fun with the faction.

This post has been edited by Vanders: Feb 5 2018, 12:33 PM

+
# 8Andy San Feb 8 2018, 00:35 AM
I will answer you asap, sorry for the delay.

+
# 9Vanders Feb 9 2018, 03:55 AM
QUOTE(Andy San @ Feb 8 2018, 10:35 AM) *

I will answer you asap, sorry for the delay.

You don't have to be in any hurry to respond.

Regarding getting Arnor to work with War of the Ring mode, I think it is a little beyond me even if you did explain things. I managed to get the faction to be selectable, but upon further messing around there is more to it than I thought.

2.02 has already fixed most of Arnor's problems. Now if only they would work in WotR if enabled like in skirmish. For those that want it of course.

+
# 10Andy San Feb 9 2018, 18:40 PM
Hi again!

I probably need to play a bit with the files to tell you exactly what needs to be changed sadly since I never changed anything related to the War of the Ring mode. post-13661-1143531603.gif

+
# 11Andybear Feb 10 2018, 05:46 AM
QUOTE(TheRingisHot @ Feb 3 2018, 11:53 AM) *

Lowball

Clan: Knights of Ea

Game: Rise of the Witchking 2.01

+
# 12Jace Feb 10 2018, 05:49 AM
Fun fact! You can basically do the same thing to unlock Lindon Warriors for the Elves!

Or something like that, it's been a while.

+
# 13BrAv3H34RT Feb 10 2018, 05:49 AM
When BFME 3 is released Arnor will be playable Faction biggrin.gif

+
# 14DucKô Feb 10 2018, 08:05 AM
Like thatís going to happen 🙄

Clan: [FtN]

Game: League of Legends

+
# 15BrAv3H34RT Feb 10 2018, 15:28 PM
You should try RJROWK. if it's still around. awesome mod where mordor gets all 9 fellbeasts. Arnor is playable. 2 other factions too i think. Everything is broken though.

Edit: I FOUND IT
http://www.moddb.com/mods/rj-rotwk

This is an extensive mod I use for fun. It doesn't work with 2.02 but it's really fun if you want a lore heavy game. Arnor is broken AF though. Pretty much every faction has something broken about it. Lots of cool new maps. all the buildings and batallions are way smaller. Give it a try!

video of arnor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gIysdAI2qk

This post has been edited by BrAv3H34RT: Feb 10 2018, 15:35 PM

+
# 16Andy San Feb 10 2018, 17:08 PM
QUOTE(BrAv3H34RT @ Feb 10 2018, 15:28 PM) *

You should try RJROWK. if it's still around. awesome mod where mordor gets all 9 fellbeasts. Arnor is playable. 2 other factions too i think. Everything is broken though.

Edit: I FOUND IT
http://www.moddb.com/mods/rj-rotwk

This is an extensive mod I use for fun. It doesn't work with 2.02 but it's really fun if you want a lore heavy game. Arnor is broken AF though. Pretty much every faction has something broken about it. Lots of cool new maps. all the buildings and batallions are way smaller. Give it a try!

video of arnor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gIysdAI2qk

Try the Age of the Ring mod smile.gif

+
# 17BrAv3H34RT Feb 10 2018, 20:30 PM
QUOTE(Andy San @ Feb 10 2018, 12:08 PM) *

Try the Age of the Ring mod smile.gif

Link or nope

+
# 18Plokite_Wolf Feb 10 2018, 21:10 PM
QUOTE(BrAv3H34RT @ Feb 10 2018, 21:30 PM) *

Link or nope

http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-horse-lords-...cation-for-bfme

Game: Kanes Wrath

+
# 19Vanders Feb 12 2018, 23:00 PM
I'm waiting for all the factions to be released before trying out Age of the Ring. I'll probably be waiting a long time.

They said that WotR is low on their agenda, though. Also they aren't including Arnor or Angmar. All the more reason I'd like to get Arnor working in WotR.

+
# 20Anfauglith Feb 15 2018, 18:37 PM
if you want to persist, fixing upgrade should be possible without insane work, but i'm not sure it's worth it... Arnor is still a barely functionnal reskin of MoTW... even once fixed

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)