Explore GameReplays...

Sony to make a PlayStation Classic?

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1FallenXE May 31 2018, 23:42 PM
As per an interview with Mantan Web, via Forbes, Sony Interactive Entertainment CEO John Kodera mentioned how there is talk on a possible PlayStation Classic console being developed and launched.

The original PlayStation that was released in 1994 and was a worldwide hit. There have been discussions (within the company) about what kind of ways to make a classic console release happen. While there is nothing we can talk about at the moment, we are constantly digging up old assets and I think there are various ways of doing it (a classic console).Source: John Kodera via Forbes

This comes off similar "classic" or classic-inspired console launches in the industry including, but not limited to, the NES Classic and SNES Classic by Nintendo, the Atari VCS Console and the Mini Sega Genesis. The latter though, has only been announced for the Japanese market for now.

The issue with Sony developing a classic version of their PlayStation 1 console however, as many people have mentioned, is that it is a tacit acknowledgement on their part that there is a market for older PlayStation games, which causes people to wonder why Sony did not include backward compatibility in the PlayStation 4 to begin with. Of course the corporate response was that Sony did the numbers and deduced that it was not worth the development cost to include it in.

With this new interview, that mode of thinking by Sony could seemingly be revised if the wave of nostalgia that is hitting the gaming industry, from consoles to remaster of games, continue to pick up steam as it would be too big to be ignored.

Would you buy a PlayStation Classic, or would you rather all future PlayStation consoles include backward compatibility for past games? Do tell us your thoughts below!

Twitter Image
Discord Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

Attached highlight
Attached Image

Game: Kanes Wrath

+
# 2-Netput Jun 1 2018, 15:03 PM
I don't really get why people are so interested in those old consoles. I mean clearly it is cool, but why don't people simply buy a rasperry pi and install retropie on it? This way you have access to all classic emulators and all classic games, on a device that is smaller in size as well. Much easier and way cheaper!

Clan: Prisoners Of War

Game: Red Alert 3

+
# 3DMraider Jul 30 2018, 16:39 PM
Hey Netput how are you?

Hmm part of the nostalgia is to dust of that old SNES or PS1 game and start playing with the same controller etc..

Some games are not so cool to play anymore though, in that case I like to watch Youtube videos of other people playing..

Then there are alot of people who chose convenience, mostly the older players and just buy it. Gaming is really cheap compared to alot of other activities, even if you buy everything.

Game: CNC Zero Hour

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)