Explore GameReplays...

New C&C Remastered Update 18.12.2018!

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1cncHD Dec 19 2018, 13:54 PM
We recently reported that EA will be remastering the two original Command & Conquer (C&C) Games, Tiberian Dawn & Red Alert 1 - along with all three expansions for these games; Covert Ops, Counterstrike & Aftermath.

A month on, we have another exciting newsflash to bring to you. EA Producer EA_Jimtern (aka Jim Vessella) revealed more about the remaster and that EA had gotten in contact with 13 members of the C&C Community and thus they have brought the "Community Council" into life. We do not know yet who these 13 people are as all are under a "NDA" (non-disclosure agreement). Hence the reveal of these 13 members will take a while, but we will keep you updated as soon as we get more news!

Jim Vessella only answered one question of the community so far in his recent post. Hopefully, the following questions will be answered in the near future:
  • What visual approach are you taking 2D or 3D?
  • Do you have the original source code?
  • What technology / engine are you using for the game?
  • What is going to happen with the FMVs?
  • What quality of life improvements are you considering?
We will continue to update the community as we receive news regarding the remaster.

Fellow Command & Conquer fans,

Its been a little over a month since we announced details about Command & Conquer Remastered, and we continue to be humbled by the excitement from the community. To provide a quick update on our development timeline, Im excited to share that Petroglyph officially started development in December and are well underway with their pre-production items. Lemon Sky is equally hard at work, and already generating some of our first pieces of concept art. We cant wait to begin sharing more about the development, and discussing many of your suggestions in the feedback thus far.

Speaking of which, the team at Petroglyph, Lemon Sky, and myself have been actively reading your questions and comments here on Reddit. I wanted to acknowledge some of the top questions were hearing:

What is the difference between a Remaster and a Remake?

What visual approach are you taking 2D or 3D?

Do you have the original source code?

What technology / engine are you using for the game?

What is going to happen with the FMVs?

What quality of life improvements are you considering?

While were not ready to answer all of these questions just yet, they are top of mind as we continue our pre-production work. In the meantime, I would like to address one of the more popular questions: Is this a remaster or a remake?

This is a remaster. Our intention is to keep the story, script, and content as authentic as possible to the original games, while providing much higher fidelity with modern quality of life improvements. As Joe stated in his initial post, the Command & Conquer look and feel is incredibly important to us, and will be one of the benchmarks we judge every decision against.

Just as important, we want to deliver on our commitment to ensure the community has a strong voice in how we remaster C&C. As a first step in this goal, Im eager to announce we have officially formed the Command & Conquer Remastered Community Council. The Community Council is a group of 13 of the most dedicated C&C Community leaders, ranging from key mod developers, to streamers, and web admins. This group will have a direct line of access to myself and the Petroglyph dev team, and will be a critical sounding board for design discussions and artistic feedback. They will also act as a voice for the community, advocating for what all of you feel are the most important topics to consider.

Keep in mind that because of the depth of their involvement, they are all under NDA and will be limited in what they can discuss publicly. Please respect their adherence to this NDA to ensure we can continue this initiative going forward. Weve already had our first call between Petroglyph and the Community Council, and expect many more positive conversations over the upcoming months. If there are topics you wish for us to discuss with the Council, please continue to post them here on Reddit or social channels.

Thanks again for your ongoing support, and were looking forward to providing another update in the New Year.

Happy holidays!

Jim Vessella

JimternSource: reddit

Twitter Image
Discord Image

This post has been edited by phantom9399: Dec 19 2018, 20:21 PM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

Attached highlight
Attached Image

Game: CNC Zero Hour

+
# 2Leikeze Dec 19 2018, 15:14 PM
Hot stuff. thum.gif

Clan: Master of Death

Game: Age of Empires 4

+
# 3methuselah Dec 19 2018, 22:16 PM
Love it!

Clan: GameReplays.org

Game: Generals 2

+
# 4I.AM.OP Dec 20 2018, 02:54 AM
I was only thinking to myself yesterday whether we'd here some news. Let's hope the communication keeps flowing. Very excited!

+
# 5Technique Dec 20 2018, 09:29 AM
Could've still been playing these games on OpenRA all this time anyway.

But my guess is none of you did cause the gameplay is very outdated/barebones and the game has no interesting units at all like the later cnc games had. And if you look on the council it's mostly people who still into these old/outdated games and they will all suggest to keep it ''authentic''.

This remaster in reality will be for a very niche public and for a few a week/month of nostalgia perhaps and that's it.

But the ones after this will be nice though, so there's that. (assuming they continue and not pull the plug after this first one fails for obvious reasons)

Should've just done it the Blizzard way and go to the games that are still relevant (wc3tft instead of wc1).

Game: Kanes Wrath

+
# 6Plokite_Wolf Dec 20 2018, 14:53 PM
QUOTE(Technique @ Dec 20 2018, 10:29 AM) *

This remaster in reality will be for a very niche public and for a few a week/month of nostalgia perhaps and that's it.

RA1's online playerbase is consistently in the hundreds on CnCNet. OpenRA doesn't come near it.

Game: Rise of the Witch King

+
# 7Technique Dec 20 2018, 16:01 PM
QUOTE(Plokite_Wolf @ Dec 20 2018, 16:53 PM) *

RA1's online playerbase is consistently in the hundreds on CnCNet. OpenRA doesn't come near it.

Large portion of those cncnet players will stick to cncnet after remaster as well. (unless literally everything is the same except for graphics update - no added attack move or anything like that xD)

That's the typical crowd who wants to see no progress and posts little marvels like this:
''Red Alert is the game we have now. The moment you change the smallest bit inside, its no longer what it used to be.''

That's why I mentioned the openra crowd, that's the old players you'll get over to the remaster.
But for it to be a success you'll need to get new players and players that are used to the newer cnc games and games like sc2.... will not be interested in cnc95/ra1 unless major overhauls are done, which I highly doubt would be the case, since they specifically stated it's a remaster, not a remake.

But realistically they should've just started with Red Alert 2 and added Yuri's Revenge as well.
Cncnet players from those games would jump all over it as well, they are actively improving Yuri's Revenge already anyway. And if you ask random rts players the answer is always the same... red alert 2 or generals - that's the game the vast majority wants to see remastered.

And the chance that we won't see any of the other games remastered is quite realistic, since cnc95/ra1 will fail in 2020... especially when a game with still very much relevant gameplay like wc3:tft remaster will be released few months before it.

This post has been edited by Technique: Dec 20 2018, 16:39 PM

+
# 8Incia Dec 20 2018, 17:44 PM
Reason nobody plays the old games online or even bother with single player are because it literally has no multiplayer (and barely actually works), so saying only a handful of current gamers will switch over is bullshit, there's hundreds if not thousand players like me who never touched tib dawn or red alert after tib wars/red alert 2 came along. Never touched open RA or any of these fanmade patches. So a fresh new remaster will definitely bring me back to the game, if that is they actually fix the broken product this time.

Trying to play the old games with Origin but it's a lottery if it works, crashes even with all latest fanmade cracks and patches and duct tape. I would really like to play a remaster that works from the start.

Game: Command and Conquer 4

+
# 9Technique Dec 20 2018, 18:10 PM
They do have multiplayer... what you on about.

And I don't think you are the cnc/rts demographic anyway, considering you are apparently into possibly the worst game ever created - the one that did in the cnc franchise.

And people who like rts in 2020 and never played these original games... will be disappointed, 100% sure.

Anyways, w/e... EA making questionable moves nothing new there.
At least Blizzard does the correct thing, can't wait for wc3 reforged. :-)

+
# 10Plokite_Wolf Dec 20 2018, 19:55 PM
QUOTE(Technique @ Dec 20 2018, 17:01 PM) *
That's the typical crowd who wants to see no progress and posts little marvels like this:
''Red Alert is the game we have now. The moment you change the smallest bit inside, its no longer what it used to be.''

CnCNet versions of games do have some QoL improvements. In TS, for example, rally points work as in later titles, and harvesters automatically collect Tiberium instead of standing awkwardly when created from the WF. RA1 has hundreds of bugs fixed, too.

+
# 11methuselah Dec 21 2018, 18:51 PM
QUOTE(Technique @ Dec 20 2018, 13:10 PM) *

And I don't think you are the cnc/rts demographic anyway, considering you are apparently into possibly the worst game ever created - the one that did in the cnc franchise.

That's not nice and not necessary Jeff. I liked C&C 4 as well does that mean I'm not in the demographic? That is just silly I'm sorry and totally counterproductive.

+
# 12OneCabal^ Dec 22 2018, 15:39 PM
Hmmm wonder who these 13 people are?

Game: Overwatch

+
# 13methuselah Dec 22 2018, 18:50 PM
A bunch of them have acknowledged being part of it on reddit so I guess it is okay to admit that I'm one of them. Very flattered to have been invited, very much looking forward to the process!

+
# 14Technique Dec 23 2018, 11:57 AM
QUOTE(methuselah @ Dec 21 2018, 20:51 PM) *

That's not nice and not necessary Jeff. I liked C&C 4 as well does that mean I'm not in the demographic? That is just silly I'm sorry and totally counterproductive.

Skeptical.

QUOTE(methuselah @ Dec 22 2018, 20:50 PM) *

A bunch of them have acknowledged being part of it on reddit so I guess it is okay to admit that I'm one of them. Very flattered to have been invited, very much looking forward to the process!

Grats on the position, figured you'd be one of em though, since you worked with EA before.

Could you ask them to make 1 overall server/platform for all cnc games?
One big happy cnc family. smile.gif

Would spread the new found cnc activity from Rivals and the upcoming remaster over to the other cnc games not (yet) remastered.

Even with Rivals discussions now I seen lots of people be like ''wish I could still play this and that game online''.
Of course all games can still be played online but it's an extra obstacle, one big enough to filter out a large portion of players who would otherwise do some games again for old times sake.

But they can't be arsed (or simply don't know) to go to cncnet or cnconline or openra etc...

And since it's EA they could also fix automatch in tw/kw/ra3 for us (especially ra3 is in dire need of that imo).

This post has been edited by Technique: Dec 23 2018, 13:19 PM

+
# 15Leikeze Dec 23 2018, 14:42 PM
QUOTE(Technique @ Dec 23 2018, 06:57 AM) *

And since it's EA they could also fix automatch in tw/kw/ra3 for us (especially ra3 is in dire need of that imo).

All of the C&C titles could use that feature.

Clan: Master of Death

Game: Age of Empires 4

+
# 16-Netput Dec 23 2018, 15:55 PM
Good update imo!

Although i agree with Technique that it is an odd choice to C&C / RA1 for this remaster. I for one have played quite a bit of RA1 and OpenRA and it really didn't age well. The best course of action would be a game that looks the same, but has some serious Quality of life improvements and perhaps some extra units to make it more interesting. With merely a HD reskin, nobody will play this game for long. Why would they if it will be exact the same as OpenRA?

Clan: Prisoners Of War

Game: Red Alert 3

+
# 17Zocom7 Dec 23 2018, 17:28 PM
QUOTE(methuselah @ Dec 22 2018, 10:50 AM) *

Thanks for the confirmation, Larry. And happy holidays. biggrin.gif

Also these people are confirmed to be in the council for those who are wondering:
CCHyper: An original developer for CnCNet.
Tore: co-founder of CnCNet
Pchote: one of the core openRA maintainers.
FiveAces: openRA shoutcaster
Bikerushownz: top tournament player for c&c and grey goo. Twitch streamer and youtuber.

This post has been edited by Zocom7: Dec 23 2018, 17:32 PM

+
# 18Plokite_Wolf Dec 23 2018, 21:57 PM
QUOTE(-Netput @ Dec 23 2018, 16:55 PM) *
With merely a HD reskin, nobody will play this game for long.

*laughs in CnCNet metrics*

+
# 19-HerB- Dec 24 2018, 04:58 AM
poor.. they should have listened to what potential customers wanted i.e red alert 2 or generals series

Clan: -MaD|

Game: CNC Zero Hour

+
# 20-Netput Dec 24 2018, 08:08 AM
QUOTE(Plokite_Wolf @ Dec 23 2018, 23:57 PM) *

*laughs in CnCNet metrics*

A few hundred players tops isn't what I call a healthy MP environment. The next line I wrote is key btw... I said nobody will play it because CnCNet/openra is there (for free).

Thanks for only responding to 1 single line of my post though. Great way to keep a healthy discussion thum.gif

Clan: Prisoners Of War

Game: Red Alert 3

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)