Explore GameReplays...

Company of Heroes

10/3/2006: Sniper Spotters

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1Moony Oct 3 2006, 02:40 AM
General Tip #8

Sniper Spotters

Snipers are nice to have, but are easily killed, weak, expensive, and can be counter-sniped. Many times, the best use for a sniper is as a spotter for artillery.

This works well with mortars. As you may know, the range of mortars far exceeds its line of sight. Your sniper spotter can find his troops while the mortars rain hell from above. Due to their range, your mortars can easily be protected by your army. He must either retreat and give up the territory, or advance and be crushed by your defensive position.

With off-map artillery, howitzers, or nebls/walking stukas, the power of this tactic lies in how he does not expect it. If you fire artillery at his troops by using a hidden spotter, he will often not be watching closely enough and get his force decimated. He gets big red blips on the minimap to focus his attention if you try and spot with a tank or some non-hidden thing.

By: Demonic Spoon

This post has been edited by Moony: Oct 3 2006, 02:41 AM

Clan: EPIC

Game: Call of Duty 4

+
# 2StarWolf64 Oct 3 2006, 03:05 AM
On 2v2 maps like Vile River Valley (I think thats the name) a sniper spotter is critical!

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 3SOPSCompy Oct 3 2006, 03:51 AM
very good tip ty

Game: World in Conflict

+
# 4Shackl Oct 3 2006, 04:01 AM
thats an extremely informative tip, especially for me because I just started playing online. 2-0 so far!

Thanks! banana.gif

Game: Battle for Middle Earth 2 1.06

+
# 5ToNiC Oct 3 2006, 08:43 AM
Very nice info, did not think of that usage yet..

+
# 6crazy chris Oct 3 2006, 09:34 AM
hey in the beta I made a siper and stealthed it to his base the second my guy set foot in his base cammod and all, he blew up... WTF.gif it this because the game doesnt want you to get snipers or other cammod units in his base or because he was the one guy that mined it?

+
# 7generaloctavian Oct 3 2006, 11:02 AM
Great idea ill have to try it. I often use mortarsso it should work out perfectly.

+
# 8Gerbil Oct 3 2006, 19:22 PM
QUOTE(crazy chris @ Oct 3 2006, 02:34 AM) *

hey in the beta I made a siper and stealthed it to his base the second my guy set foot in his base cammod and all, he blew up... WTF.gif it this because the game doesnt want you to get snipers or other cammod units in his base or because he was the one guy that mined it?

haha, either he mined it or he saw you (if you get too close to an enemy, you are detected).

+
# 9stopgap Oct 3 2006, 19:52 PM
probably the One guy who mines smile.gif

Game: Supreme Commander

+
# 10WISE Architect Oct 4 2006, 09:25 AM
Nice tip by demonic spoon. smile.gif

QUOTE(crazy chris @ Oct 3 2006, 10:34 AM) *

You can really but it isnt a good idea. He will just retreat one or two units and spot you.

You probably steped down on a well placed mine. tongue.gif

Clan: [Wise]

+
# 11Demonic Spoon Oct 4 2006, 18:51 PM

Heh, thanks. I always find it amusing when a player has mortars, artillery, etc. in the area but always just sends it down on random places where he *thinks* some of my troops *might* be at.

This post has been edited by Demonic Spoon: Oct 4 2006, 20:26 PM

Game: Dawn of War 2

+
# 12andarooo May 26 2007, 15:31 PM
Great tip!

but dont forget spotting for 88's as well

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)