Explore GameReplays...

Company of Heroes

10/10/2006: Mortar Accuracy and Damage

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1Moony Oct 10 2006, 00:51 AM
General Tip #11

Mortar Accuracy and Damage

Not getting the most out of your mortars ? They have a very high chance of hitting at roughly half a screen away from the enemy, at rougly 1,5 screen they have fair chance and anything beyond this is pretty hopless.

Another thing to puzzle you..did you know a mortar has a 1 penetration rate vs most armor when rilfes and such has 0.01 penetration. If this works as i belive it does that the penetration simply is used as a dmg modifier that means mortars do FULL dmg vs tanks.

By: Willburn

Clan: EPIC

Game: Call of Duty 4

+
# 2Willburn Oct 10 2006, 08:03 AM
Let me just clarify one thing. The screen leanght measured was on a 1024x1280 in a straight top down view. I would say one screen is roughly the same as the lenght of 2,5 angovile houses or hmm.. 9 bikes if they where lined up after each other.

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 3Ironborn Oct 10 2006, 09:14 AM
Willburn, unlike a 2d game you don't see more of the map in a 3d game when you up the resolution.

+
# 4bavbav Oct 10 2006, 09:55 AM
mortars dont do big damage to tanks im quite sure

+
# 5Willburn Oct 10 2006, 10:37 AM
Uhh iron i know..but then you wouldnt have ANY reference to what kind of lenghts im talking about..unless i do stuff like 9 bikes on a row etc (like i did too)

You see you see more of the lenght when you are tilted instead of top down..that way its very relative to say 1 screen of lenght. Get my drift?

Yeah after this tip was submitted I did a lot of more intensive test, mortars are decent vs tanks but nothing more. Vs halftracks and armored cars on the other hand they can do a lot of damage. The only huge problem is that these kind of targets tend to move instead of staying still and that means you need to get lucky to hit it. But if you get the infamous halftrack + grenadier rush id take a mortar to counter it.

+
# 6Singularity Oct 10 2006, 13:36 PM
To illustrate the accuracy thing...

This is the targeting circle at max range for a mortar team (notice the mortar team in the top of the picture behind the Crocodile):

Attached Image

Now look what happens when the mortar team moves closer to the camera:

Attached Image

Same goes for other barrage weapons (in this case a Calliope Barrage):

Attached Image

And at closer range:

Attached Image

Sorry for wandering a bit off-topic pirate.gif

+
# 7Ironborn Oct 10 2006, 13:49 PM
Nicely done Singularity.

@Willburn: You are right, all I wanted to point out was that the resolution doesn't matter only the camera positioning.

+
# 8WISE Architect Oct 10 2006, 14:45 PM
Nice SS posts yhkx. Its very important to use that yellow circle at itīs best. thum.gif

When using the 125 ammo calliope ablility its like the difference between taking out a Stug or not...

Clan: [Wise]

+
# 9Willburn Oct 10 2006, 15:47 PM
Very nice singularity. While we are at it try and aim a bit in front of your target with your calliope rocket barrage as it ALLWAYS overshoots. (at least in my experience)

+
# 10Ltbigcow Oct 11 2006, 04:46 AM
My motars do ok dmges to tanks, specially when tanks are fighting each other, with a motar far behind and landing the rear armor dmges that sometimes it could dmge their engine. In the tank wars, every dmge counts in my opinion. Although I dont use motars that often, but sometimes they can be quite uesful smile.gif

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)