Explore GameReplays...

Company of Heroes

10/12/2006: The Tactical Map

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1Moony Oct 12 2006, 00:59 AM
General Tip #13

The Tactical Map

On the tactical map, you can select units by their icon. This is really useful on start.

Que up an engineer from HQ, and order the other engineer to begin construction from the normal view
switch to strategy view, and select your engineer, hold down shift and right click on sector points 1 by 1 the order you want to capture them, this way, they will capture points 1 by one without too much micro, and without too much panning the view

The other time to use it is when you have units sitting in your base; if you want to bring them to the front line, but dont want to pan your view to your base then pan back to where the battle is.

This will take some time and your enemy could out micro you. With strategy map, you can quickly press NUM0, select units in my base and click near my battle, press NUM 0 again and im back to my original view.

It also allows you to see abit of the battle while you're ordering your units in my base, for example, enemy tank trying to flank your tank, i can quickly press NUM 0 again, and issue appropriate moves.

By: Zaxis

Clan: EPIC

Game: Call of Duty 4

+
# 2GaBRa Oct 12 2006, 01:57 AM
Really good for early game

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 3Lombardi Oct 12 2006, 02:00 AM
Yeah, great for early game, I'll definitely use this for Engy's smile.gif

Thanks Zaxis.

Clan: Teh Staff

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 4decon Oct 12 2006, 06:05 AM
It's also great when you are watching replays. It's nice to se the battle unfold that way if there isn't anything special goingon.

+
# 5TAWFiedor Oct 12 2006, 15:19 PM
QUOTE(decon @ Oct 11 2006, 11:05 PM) *

It's also great when you are watching replays. It's nice to se the battle unfold that way if there isn't anything special goingon.

I didnt think that you could take points by clicking on them in the map. The units will go there, but just sit near the point. Can someone confirm this?

+
# 6Giaddon Oct 12 2006, 15:47 PM
I can.

Yes, they will capture. I always start my game by setting cap waypoints for my engies so I can focus on other things. Just make sure your cursor changes to the capture icon.

+
# 7EverBorn Oct 12 2006, 21:49 PM
You can also tell if they have OP'ed a point by its value. This is useful to see if they are rushing armor if they OP it super quick.

Game: Rise of Legends

+
# 8parabolas Oct 13 2006, 06:37 AM
QUOTE(EverBorn @ Oct 12 2006, 02:49 PM) *

You can also tell if they have OP'ed a point by its value. This is useful to see if they are rushing armor if they OP it super quick.

So if they OP a point but it's still in the fog of war to you, you can see the increased value on the tactical map?

+
# 9dommafia Oct 13 2006, 15:20 PM
yeah its a mini map hack tongue.gif

Game: Red Alert 3

+
# 10EvilLost May 2 2008, 19:05 PM
These may be valid uses but I'd have to disagree on its overall usefulness.

QUOTE(Moony @ Oct 11 2006, 17:59 PM) *

General Tip #13

The Tactical Map

On the tactical map, you can select units by their icon. This is really useful on start.

Que up an engineer from HQ, and order the other engineer to begin construction from the normal view
switch to strategy view, and select your engineer, hold down shift and right click on sector points 1 by 1 the order you want to capture them, this way, they will capture points 1 by one without too much micro, and without too much panning the view

You can also just click the minimap to jump right there and do the same thing on the main screen. Tbh, personally, I actually don't mind panning around randomly (esp on new maps or maps I don't regularly play) as it allows me to see the terrain. Besides, there isn't a whole lot else to do in the first minute of the game.

The other time to use it is when you have units sitting in your base; if you want to bring them to the front line, but dont want to pan your view to your base then pan back to where the battle is.

This will take some time and your enemy could out micro you. With strategy map, you can quickly press NUM0, select units in my base and click near my battle, press NUM 0 again and im back to my original view.

Again, you could simply click on the minimap to jump around.
OR you could use the little badges on the right hand side, especially in combination...
WITH Control-Keys (Ctrl+1,Ctrl+2, etc to assign groups) so that you don't need to be on a screen to select your men...I really think this should be the primary mode.

Note: you can press tab to bounce between individual squads within a control group.

It also allows you to see abit of the battle while you're ordering your units in my base, for example, enemy tank trying to flank your tank, i can quickly press NUM 0 again, and issue appropriate moves.
By: Zaxis

This is a mildly valid point as it IS easier to see on the huge map vs the minimap...but really its not *that* much more difficult to spot the red dot/triangle on the minimap, is it? Also, much like control groups, you can access your buildings by using F keys (F1, F2, etc). In combination with control groups and hotkeys, I personally find I rarely am actually looking in my own base.

For example: Had a fight and retreated 2 rifle squads (ctrl1). At the front I still have 2 more rifles (ctrl2) and an m8 (ctrl3). My engies(2 squads) (ctrl8) in my base(1squad) just finished building my wsc; the other squad is in the process of capping a point. While still looking at the *Front* (I never look back at my base):
I press 1 to select my retreated rifles, then press TAB to bounce to the squads individually and hit R multiple times to reinforce.
I press 8 to select BOTH engi squads, then SHIFT+click to remove the one capping the point (so I am now only selecting the one who just finished building). I click on my m8 to issue repair command.
I press F3 to select my WSC. I press H to queue up an HMG....
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry I went on a rant. But my point remains that all of these can be done somewhat more efficiently by other means is all.

NOTE: You can also tell because the point will look more square on your minimap rather than circuar. (In regards to OP)

+
# 11Airazor May 3 2008, 00:18 AM
you have bumped a two year old topic...well done eyebrow.gif

their is an updated version of this, perhaps you can disagree there...

Tac map

lol@noob 0wn3d.gif

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 12gobbali Jul 9 2009, 10:31 AM
I just love this, especially in larger maps. Movement commands are soooo easy to give while u can still keep track of everything else that happens out in the front.

Very useful tip for those who dont know this smile.gif

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)