Explore GameReplays...

CNC Zero Hour

GLA basic strat guide

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1Trojan. Aug 14 2005, 14:49 PM
Basic GLA Strat Guide

This guide will cover all the basic things you need to think about when playing as GLA a lot of this will come second nature to you but before this can happen you need to know and understand the basic playing style. GLA is a side that must manage armies on many flanks. Tunnels are essential to this strategy and the more flanks you can open up against your opponent, the harder it is for them to defend you, and the harder to attack.

Why Sell Command Center?

Selling your command center is a necessary step if you are going to play GLA because you do not need it for anything right at the start apart from the ‘Repair’ upgrade which realistically speaking will not really help that much where as an extra $1000 will. Of course before you sell your command center you need to make sure that you have made enough workers from it first (5 from your command center is normally sufficient).

What to do with first worker?

Well there are a few things you can do.
• You can make a supply center straight away which will enable you to get an Arms Dealer up fast
• You can make a barracks first which will help to capture oil derricks that may be situated on the map you are
playing on.
• You can also send it near the opponent’s base or to a hard to reach expansion.

Supply Placement

user posted image

The above shows the best distance for a supply center to be from the supplies.

How many workers should be collecting for each supply center?

There have been many tests into this and the outcomes do very from 5 to 7 workers per supply so it’s basically up to you on whether you choose 5, 6 or 7. one thing to consider though is that if the supply is nearer to the supplies than in the picture above you will be best to go for 5 workers because anymore and they will start walking around the supplies resulting in loss of collection rate.

Boxing in Supplies

Boxing in your supplies is where you build a Barrack and Arms Dealer on each entrance to the supply center. This allows the workers to collect more efficiently while also protecting them from attacks. For example if you do not box them in then one single ground unit can just run them all over wreaking havoc with your economy.

One thing to note with this though is that if you do not have all the workers in the boxed area and then try making them collect they will run around your Arms Dealer or Barracks which slows down you economy.

user posted image

The above picture is an example of how to box in your supplies.

Replay showing effective supply boxing

Rushing/Attacking/Offense

Technical + Terrorist

A good tactic that works against pretty much any army is to fill up a technical with 4 terrorists and then send it to your opponent’s base then attacking their Supply Center or War Factory/Arms Dealer.

user posted image
user posted image
user posted image

Replay demonstrating Technical + Terrorist against China

This rush tactic serves as a very quick and effective way to slow down your enemy, you will of course have to pay a great deal of attention to the technical while it is moving because you want to avoid any enemy units.

Technical + RPG’s

Another quick rush for GLA is to fill a technical up with 5 RPG’s and send it to your opponent’s base. This tactic works better against a china opponent because you can attack their supplies and construction dozers. This tactic requires a lot of attention because units such as a China Gatling Tank will defeat it quite easily.

Technical + Terrorist + Technical RPG against USA

Tunnels

Tunnels are GLA’s backbone and should always be taken advantage of. You can situate tunnels on various parts of the map and transport units from one tunnel to another. This way you can not only defend in many different places but you can attack from many different places. They cost $800 and you gain 2 free RPG’s which is a bargain considering the potential that each tunnel has.

Placing them in strategic places on maps will force your opponent into attacking you where you want them to.

When you are playing team games you want to make a tunnel in your team mates base so that you can quickly help him when he needs it.

In depth guide to tunnel usage

Using tunnels to control the map

What Generals Point Should I Choose?

Level 1

You will start with a pick from 3 which are ‘Scud Launcher’, ‘Marauder’ and ‘Technical’

The Scud Launcher can only be purchased when you have a palace so picking that option right at the start of the game is not really a good idea because you will not be able to use them for quite a while into the game.

The Marauder is a good choice but especially works well versus china if combined with RPG’s and Quad Cannons. So your best bet is to use this when you are playing against china.

The Technical upgrade is very good if you wish to do an early Technical + Terrorist or Technical + RPG rush because the technical has more health and also will get 2 chevrons faster allowing it to heal itself

Level 3

Cash Bounty is essential to sustain a good long game economy, in it's 3rd level Cash Bounty will give you 20% of the cost of the units you destroy.

Rebel Ambush is great for infiltrating behind your opponent's lines and combined with the capture upgrade, an ambush can prove a menace in your enemy's base.

Emergency Repair comes in 3 levels, Light, Medium and Heavy, it is effective in healing units on low health, but in it's early stages the health gain is not great and the area of effect is minimal which makes the Repair generals point not the best option.

Hijacker is a generals point that allows you to train hijackers in the barracks, standard hijackers, whilst more easily seen than stealth hijackers, standard hijackers are still effective in infiltrating enemy vehicles and taking control of them, one or two hijackers in the middle of a battle can prove vital to winning.

Level 5

Anthrax Bomb does minimal damage to structures, but any infantry in it's area of effect will die, and it does considerable damage to any vehicles, Anthrax Bomb is excellent for damaging large armies

Sneak Attack Tunnel is an excellent upgrade which enables you to make a tunnel anywhere on the map that is in your view. This tunnel can suprise an enemy army in the middle of a battle, or cause quick damage to an enemy base as the Sneak Attack tunnel acts like a standard tunnel.

GPS Scrambler works on friendly units by camouflaging them whilst they are not attacking. It is most effective on strong units like the Battle Bus, a stealthed battle bus full of RPG's can do severe damage to enemy structures and units.

This basic guide will hopefully provide you with the basics of how to play GLA, but just a few simple things mentioned here will improve your play greatly smile.gif

Enjoy smile.gif

Clan: Order Of The Elites

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 2scudstorm64 Aug 14 2005, 15:29 PM
nice. smile.gif I like this guide, it helped me quite a lot...
although most of them i already know.. but its good

This post has been edited by scudstorm64: Aug 15 2005, 14:03 PM

Clan: [BORG]

Game: CNC Zero Hour

+
# 3StarTrekker Aug 15 2005, 14:30 PM
Great effort there Trojan! I really appreciate all the effort you put in to that! This guide helped me confirm my own understanding of the basics of how to play one of my favorites sides smile.gif

It should also help a lot of the less experienced players to get going with GLA thumb.gif

Well done! smile.gif

This post has been edited by StarTrekker: Aug 15 2005, 14:38 PM

Game: Red Alert 3

+
# 4|^|AP|^|AN Aug 16 2005, 03:27 AM
Great job covering the basics!

You may want to add the use of demo bikes and hijackers. These are both staples of the GLA. Also the importance of wreckage upgrades and how to use them during a battle. I would add that you should upgrade the technical with the wreckage of your terr attack and finish off a partially damaged Depot with the upgraded tech. This gives the Technical vet status and saves the cost of terrorists.

There needs to be a section on the micromanagement of Scorpions vs infantry missles. Scorpions are the best unit GLA has and will dominate if managed well. Wreckage is critical here too.

The silent attack of workers laying demo charges, near buildings, around a tunnel being built, is also very effective vs China. This will kill the first responders and damage buildings on the route to your tunnel. Then when the tunnel opens, the near buildings are softened for you. A more esoteric tactic.

About the repair point options: "but in it's early stages the health gain is not great and the area of effect is minimal" I disagree, the repair is critical for turning a damaged/slow humvee or Technical into a healthy unit that can run away from the enemy. It only takes the first level of repair and can save an expensive or timing critical set of units in the thick of battle.

I would not buy any Level 1 upgrade point until late in the game. Just my opinion.

This post has been edited by |^|AP|^|AN: Aug 16 2005, 08:48 AM

Game: Supreme Commander

+
# 5StarTrekker Aug 16 2005, 13:21 PM
Geez whatever-your-name-is, it is meant to be a BASIC guide whistling.gif

Marauders are excellent early against chinese factions and repair sucks; you can't use it in the early game anyway coz any decent GLAer will sell their CC.

Demo bikes are only available to Demo, unless you waste micro and money getting a bike and putting a Terrorist on it, which is silly when you look at the effect of terror teching. What can 1 terror bike do compared to a terror tech which are ready at almost the same time?

Cheers thumb.gif

+
# 6Murder Aug 16 2005, 18:46 PM
QUOTE(|^|AP|^|AN @ Aug 15 2005, 11:27 PM)
Great job covering the basics!

You may want to add the use of demo bikes and hijackers. These are both staples of the GLA. Also the importance of wreckage upgrades and how to use them during a battle. I would add that you should upgrade the technical with the wreckage of your terr attack and finish off a partially damaged Depot with the upgraded tech. This gives the Technical vet status and saves the cost of terrorists.

There needs to be a section on the micromanagement of Scorpions vs infantry missles. Scorpions are the best unit GLA has and will dominate if managed well. Wreckage is critical here too.

The silent attack of workers laying demo charges, near buildings, around a tunnel being built, is also very effective vs China. This will kill the first responders and damage buildings on the route to your tunnel. Then when the tunnel opens, the near buildings are softened for you. A more esoteric tactic.

About the repair point options: "but in it's early stages the health gain is not great and the area of effect is minimal" I disagree, the repair is critical for turning a damaged/slow humvee or Technical  into a healthy unit that can run away from the enemy. It only takes the first level of repair and can save an expensive or timing critical set of units in the thick of battle.

I would not buy any Level 1 upgrade point until late in the game. Just my opinion.

Maybe read the title and/or the first word of the entire post rolleyes.gif

Btw I believe this was written by Dues- Ex and OmegaSt0rm, not Trojan tongue.gif

Clan: -FaKe|

+
# 7Yumi Aug 16 2005, 20:04 PM
Needs pinning.

Clan: H2

+
# 8StarTrekker Aug 18 2005, 11:54 AM
QUOTE(Murder @ Aug 17 2005, 06:16 AM)
Btw I believe this was written by Dues- Ex and OmegaSt0rm, not Trojan tongue.gif
I don't get it, why would someone post something that another has written without the slightest acknowledgement of who wrote it?? blink.gif

+
# 9Murder Aug 18 2005, 17:16 PM
I guess it's Trojan's job to post these tongue.gif

DUes and Omega aren't staff anymore so they couldn't wink.gif

Clan: -FaKe|

+
# 10StarTrekker Aug 19 2005, 11:51 AM
Oh... I see, but Trojan could at least acknowledge that he wasn't the author. smilie_bleh.gif

+
# 11Deus-Ex Aug 23 2005, 14:54 PM
QUOTE(StarTrekker @ Aug 15 2005, 03:30 PM)
Great effort there Trojan!  I really appreciate all the effort you put in to that!  This guide helped me confirm my own understanding of the basics of how to play one of my favorites sides smile.gif 

It should also help a lot of the less experienced players to get going with GLA thumb.gif

Well done!  smile.gif

LOL

QUOTE(StarTrekker @ Aug 19 2005, 12:51 PM)
Oh... I see, but Trojan could at least acknowledge that he wasn't the author.  smilie_bleh.gif

agreed, thanks trojan ur mostly useless.

i wrote all of it and did the SS's and Reps, the only part someone else did was the last part about gens pts.

Game: FPS

+
# 12StarTrekker Aug 25 2005, 12:36 PM
QUOTE(Deus-Ex @ Aug 24 2005, 02:24 AM)
i wrote all of it and did the SS's and Reps, the only part someone else did was the last part about gens pts.

THEN

Great effort there Deus-Ex! I really appreciate all the effort you put in to that! This guide helped me confirm my own understanding of the basics of how to play one of my favorites sides

It should also help a lot of the less experienced players to get going with GLA

Well done!

+
# 13Deus-Ex Aug 25 2005, 14:34 PM
thanks, you're welcome smile.gif

Game: FPS

+
# 14Blitz- Sep 4 2005, 16:39 PM
and i was beginning to wonder why troj suddenly started writing on gla play

+
# 15[OoE]MiRaGE Dec 20 2005, 11:41 AM
Trojan, you are a selfish Prick. sad.gif

+
# 16Trojan. Dec 20 2005, 12:37 PM
Well LMFAO, I touched it up...

+
# 17spalding Dec 20 2005, 12:41 PM
LMFAO prick.

+
# 18NR-2 Dec 20 2005, 21:33 PM
if i do a GLA BASIC STRAT GUIDE will it be 30 pages long

+
# 19Anthony15 Jan 2 2006, 00:37 AM
my strategy

(tournament desert gla)1 supply 2 supply 3 barracks by supply and 4 tunnel by farthest oil and 5 tunnel by closest oil.

The warfactory supply and
barracks should
shaped like a box.

build technical and fill with rpg and 1 worker. go from the closest oil tunnel to the bunker half way to there side supplies.
drop off worker and go on if they have tunnel by side supply run over workers and go on kill what ever u can with rpg.

ps while you are sending the technical purchase 1 or 2 quad.

If you fail to kill second supply and get it .Capture the oil
and build palace infront of 1st supply after having 2 warfactory.

Get 1 black market and purchase worker shoes !! wow !! you get about 20
percent faster income.

build quads scorpions and have about 2 busses to support army and make sure you get middle supplies and tunnel middle fast after technical rush. If you dont have middle build a supply on the sides and workers can go down hilland get cash

hope this helps i will be on generals after school im only 15 im an oklahoman usa

read my biography called story of a person addicted to zero hour

+
# 20NR-2 Jan 2 2006, 12:54 PM
anthony, i share a shit about your strate, and im sure all other doing it too.

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)