Explore GameReplays...

Company of Heroes

Opposing Fronts Gridkeys!

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 11eyedking Sep 2 2007, 20:15 PM
UPDATED!! Grab the newest Gridkeys on page 8!

What follows is a an old post...
QUOTE(1eyedking)
-= Presenting Beta Grid Hotkeys =-

IPB Image
The Grid Hotkey System.

Though I know there are more pressing matters to attend to right now (bugs & balance), I believe that amidst such issues, the concern about hotkeys remains an important one since many players live and die by them.

Even though vCoH was partially benevolent to the grid system (only wire/sandbag building icons were shuffled, but they didn't much bother anyone), CoH OF Beta is a sea of inconsistencies, with a plethora of misplaced icons that don't quite benefit the spirit of a grid hotkey system. Although this problem was present in Warcraft III, the game hotkey engine was very flexible and a quick trip to the CustomKeys.txt file allowed everything to be reconfigured to the player's want. This isn't so with CoH, where hotkey editing is a much more clumsy task, and patching is a real pain to custom key users.

Therefore, I'd like to ask Relic if they could, in the following beta patches, fix these inconsistencies and relocate the default hotkey icon locations in lieu of a more consistent layout smile.gif . I am very sure many other CoH players would be very grateful of a such a change, given the fact that distributing the default icons is probably a painless change to program.

To make some lives easier, I'm including this list of inconsistencies I found (I may not have been very thorough):
  • Build radio button (Sappers have it on F, other soldiers on A)
  • What is common_ability (binded to letter "O")
  • Bren Carrier Self Repair Button (on X instead of S/D)
  • Booby traps buttons (Kettengrad vs. Soldiers)
  • Repair buttons (PE have them on S location instead of D)
  • Camouflage & Hold Fire buttons (camouflage seem misplaced)
  • Luftwaffe ground Build Guns buttons (inconsistent with Sandbags & Wires)
  • Truck Advanced bulding button is on grind place A instead of S
  • Wires & Sandbags buttons (carried over from vCoH)
  • Sapper emplacements buttons
  • Mortar/Howitzer Barrage Types buttons (Royal Artillery Doctrine)
  • Churchill Mortar Barrage (minor consistency: should be on Z instead of X)
Mind you, the hotkey layout I've done, thus, isn't as optimized as it could be. You'll find some hotkeys replaced by the nearest empty (or not) grid icon, so check before using the hotkey of an ability you'd think is in the correct place.

This post has been edited by Inverse: Jun 20 2011, 06:30 AM

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 21eyedking Sep 2 2007, 23:27 PM
(obsolete)

This post has been edited by 1eyedking: Apr 1 2009, 18:04 PM

+
# 31eyedking Sep 3 2007, 00:08 AM
New version (1.02) out

Corrections:
Due to some infantry upgrades now being on 'T', reinforce key has been changed to 'Y'. Please excuse the previous mistake.

Again, to install, just extract into your CoH OF MP Beta directory.

Attached File(s)
Attached File betagrid102.rar
Size: 6.76k
Number of downloads: 3181

+
# 4AmiPolizeiFunk Sep 4 2007, 07:21 AM
Thanks for this. I've been having trouble playing beta without the ol' grid hotkeys.

Clan: Reborn

+
# 5Sternhelden Sep 4 2007, 07:42 AM
Excellent job!

+
# 6Vitensby Sep 4 2007, 07:46 AM
Good stuff thumb.gif

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 71337ff Sep 4 2007, 08:12 AM
thanks, I've been waiting for this a long time.

I wish relic would implement grid hotkeys as a default option you could choose from.

+
# 8mwaf Sep 4 2007, 09:04 AM
Thank you! Very much appreciated.

+
# 9Micr0za Sep 4 2007, 09:11 AM
Of shortcuts are such a mess, grid ftw

but seriously why puting reinforce to y?

its really louziest shorcut sad.gif

could just put it to r and the weapon upgrades from t back on y

This post has been edited by Micr0za: Sep 4 2007, 10:54 AM

+
# 10m1cHi Sep 4 2007, 10:13 AM
nice *downloading* w00t.gif

+
# 11Bridger Sep 4 2007, 13:56 PM
QUOTE(Micr0za @ Sep 4 2007, 05:11 AM) *
Of shortcuts are such a mess, grid ftw

but seriously why puting reinforce to y?

its really louziest shorcut sad.gif

could just put it to r and the weapon upgrades from t back on y

Agreed, it seems like retreat is more often in the R sqaure than the infantry upgrades are.

and Relic PAY ATTENTION TO THIS PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!

+
# 12Micr0za Sep 4 2007, 17:21 PM
Maybe we are just used on the version you made Bridger tongue.gif

I used it for some time, and would also add grenade or sniper shot etc.. is much better on q than y, not like you need q for anything else after picking tommy or rifle squad and its easier to click it than move hand to y(or pinky finger ftl), just my 20 cents

+
# 13marcusklaas Sep 4 2007, 17:32 PM
LOL INDEEED
thats what i thought
reinforce the hotkey i use teh_most
put it on t lol
not y

BRING ON 1.03 AND FIX REINFORCE HOTKEI THX

+
# 14hillhome Sep 4 2007, 18:50 PM
I just memorize w/e hotkeys the game says are hotkeys pirate.gif

Tho I do see the benefit in the grid system! I wish we could just freaking assign our OWN hotkeys easily. Like almost every other game I own allows this, but not my favorite, beloved CoH.

Clan: Reign of Madness

Game: Company of Heroes 2

+
# 15Turvok Sep 5 2007, 04:02 AM
Relic plz make gridkeys a norm for OF rather then some weird mod required thing. or let us set up our own, or just standardize the grids so we can use the mod at least. arghh.. there are more then 100's out there, probably more like 1000's that use gridkey's. such a simple thing rather then some weird hotkey's all over the keyboard.

'cmon relic.

Everyone that reads this post plz reply to it and ask something similar or hell just quote me and hit QFT.

+
# 16Bridger Sep 21 2007, 00:16 AM
QUOTE(Turvok @ Sep 5 2007, 00:02 AM) *
Relic plz make gridkeys a norm for OF rather then some weird mod required thing. or let us set up our own, or just standardize the grids so we can use the mod at least. arghh.. there are more then 100's out there, probably more like 1000's that use gridkey's. such a simple thing rather then some weird hotkey's all over the keyboard.

'cmon relic.

Everyone that reads this post plz reply to it and ask something similar or hell just quote me and hit QFT.

QFT

I seriously doubt we'll see any change in OF, but i really hope they take this to heart for their next RTS. This would make such a huge difference :\

+
# 171eyedking Sep 21 2007, 15:36 PM
Hey everyone, it's good to see some people are getting a use out of the keys. Now for some feedback:

The reasons why I moved the upgrade key from 'T' to 'Y' I explained on the 1.02 update. They relocated much every 'G' upgrade to 'T'. We can do one out of three things:
  • Leave it as it is and get used to it;
  • Switch 'T' and 'Y' and return to ye olde system;
  • Move it somewhere else ('Tab', 'Alt', etc.).

The next update will be done once the retail is released, so give those choices a thought. And I hope to god they add the Kettenkrad & Forward Barracks lines. And fix the grid mess they've done. And balance.

+
# 18Ax3 Sep 22 2007, 05:58 AM
QUOTE(hillhome @ Sep 5 2007, 02:50 AM) *

I just memorize w/e hotkeys the game says are hotkeys pirate.gif

Tho I do see the benefit in the grid system! I wish we could just freaking assign our OWN hotkeys easily. Like almost every other game I own allows this, but not my favorite, beloved CoH.

wub.gif

Clan: LAID

+
# 19smpl Sep 22 2007, 07:22 AM
QUOTE(Turvok @ Sep 5 2007, 05:02 AM) *

'cmon relic.

QFT

+
# 20Jimmy_Breeze Sep 25 2007, 21:09 PM
Will these work with OF now, post-beta?

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)