Explore GameReplays...

Supreme Commander

Supreme Commander 2 Announced

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1Gnats3 Nov 12 2008, 21:52 PM
Square Enix, which produced the Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts series, has announced that it will be working to publish Supreme Commander 2. Gas Powered Games is known for its Dungeon Siege and Supreme Commander games, along with the in-development Demigod, and will continue to be the developer for the Supreme Commander series. No information about gameplay or the release schedule has been announced as of yet. Chris Taylor, the designer of Supreme Commander, has previously said that current hardware is too limited for his vision of Supcom 2, although it is difficult to determine how this will affect the sequel.

"LOS ANGELES (November 12, 2008) &mdash Square Enix, Inc., the publisher of Square Enix® interactive entertainment products in North America (Square Enix), and development house Gas Powered Games Corp., (Gas Powered Games) announced today that they have formed a strategic partnership. With the commencement of this strategic partnership, development has begun on SUPREME COMMANDER® 2, a sequel to the award-winning real-time strategy series.

This strategic partnership represents one of the first steps Square Enix Co., Ltd., a sister company of Square Enix headquartered in Tokyo, Japan, and its affiliates (collectively, Square Enix Group) are taking towards their goal of increasing western development efforts aimed for the global markets. Square Enix Group has previously worked exclusively with Japanese development companies, so the decision to form strategic partnerships with developers located outside of Japan serves as a new cornerstone of its strategy to create games targeted primarily at consumers in North America and Europe. Additionally, Square Enix Group's foray into the real-time strategy genre is a significant expansion of its product lineup, largely known for its leadership role in the genre of role-playing games.

"We see great opportunities in North American and European markets, both of which are expected to be maintaining sustainable growth over these coming years," said Yoichi Wada, president and representative director of Square Enix Co., Ltd.. "Therefore, it is crucial we create alliances with proven developers such as Gas Powered Games in order to serve these significant markets better by providing products and services in tune with customer tastes."

"Gas Powered Games is an accomplished development house that has demonstrated its ability to successfully create and develop intellectual properties," said John Yamamoto, president and chief executive officer of Square Enix and Square Enix Ltd., Square Enix's sister company in U.K. "We are extremely excited to begin working with Gas Powered Games' talented personnel and see this strategic partnership as a significant step in our efforts to bring Square Enix titles to a broader global audience."

Creator of hit titles such as Dungeon Siege®, and Supreme Commander, Gas Powered Games® was founded in 1998 by one of the game industry's most imaginative and dynamic visionaries Chris Taylor, who serves as chief executive officer. "It is truly a great honor to join forces with as renowned a developer and publisher as Square Enix," said Taylor: "Everyone at Gas Powered Games is thrilled about this collaboration, and the results will surely delight video game fans around the world."

Details on SUPREME COMMANDER 2 including gameplay features, platform(s) and ship date will be available at a later time."

The announcement at the Square Enix website.

This post has been edited by DS: Nov 13 2008, 06:42 AM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

Game: Supreme Commander 2

+
# 2divineRight Nov 13 2008, 07:06 AM
It's like - WOW! I wouldn't expect such a collaboration. I can't wait for more details.

Game: Red Alert 3

+
# 3RDon Nov 13 2008, 07:52 AM
Bitchin'.

Time to buy a quantum computer.

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 4Jean=A=Luc Nov 13 2008, 12:42 PM
Omg. ohmy.gif

QUOTE(RDon @ Nov 13 2008, 08:52 AM) *

Time to buy a quantum computer.

You sure it'll be able to run it? tongue.gif

Game: Dawn of War 2

+
# 5triumph Nov 13 2008, 17:33 PM
That feels like it was outta left field. However I think this means that we will see SupCom2 on a blu-ray disc and this may mean that the future of PS3 Keyboard/Mouse gaming is going to start in 2010/11.

Clan: EPIC

Game: 8bit Armies, Hordes and Invaders

+
# 6Derek Nov 13 2008, 21:15 PM
I bet the ACUs will have giant ass swords from now on tongue.gif

And Tri, give up on the PS3 gaming with mouse and keyboard. Sorry, its just not happening. post-13661-1143531603.gif

Game: CNC Zero Hour

+
# 7Hogo Nov 13 2008, 21:22 PM
WTF has been planned, If it can't use current hardware WTF!?

Game: Kanes Wrath

+
# 8Feynmaniac Nov 13 2008, 23:38 PM
WTF.gif

High Graphics standards are a large barrier for entry as it is without upping the ante... not to mention that on the scale front Supcom was a messy disappointment anyways so maybe he'll actually improve it a little.

Game: Grey Goo

+
# 9Hogo Nov 14 2008, 02:11 AM
Im Hoping Supreme COmmander 2 Has a BRAND NEW Engine, Which is performance in mind, I mean Supcom Was a Res Hog and Limited the people who could play it without lag.

Also I feel its going to be maybe 3 - 5 Years before this is released, Whats your guys verdicts?

+
# 10KingsRevenge Nov 14 2008, 07:47 AM
So basically it seems like you guys would be happy if you had SupCom with better performance?

Also if you were unaware Forged Alliance is considered to be a very solid game now, so would you say Forged Alliance with better performance?

Game: Act of War: Direct Action

+
# 11Hogo Nov 14 2008, 13:55 PM
Both Supcom And FA were amazing games, But liked certain things, No im not taking this point from RA3 but the units and buildings in Supcom were really dull besides aeon,
Performance was a real issue so Im sure we would all be happy to see it become a big deal to GPG and try to make it as Hardware friendly as possible.

That in mind I would like a Much more indepth and longer story line

Say 12 missions 1 hour each Minimum to complete

Dependant in Supcom 2 Im sure they will keep UEF Aeon and Cybran, Not sure about Seraphim but who knows smile.gif

Also, I hear the Demigod Engine is the SUPCOM one just changed ALOT so if they could change it again much more Performance and physics and stuff, AI including that needs alot of work.
It really would be a great game smile.gif

+
# 12Gnats3 Nov 14 2008, 14:18 PM
Yeah, Demigod uses an improved version of the Supcom engine and the goal is for it to have twice the performance of Supcom. Demigod has fewer units but much more detail so I wouldn't be surprised if they could optimize Supcom 2 much better than the original.

Game: Supreme Commander 2

+
# 13Hogo Nov 14 2008, 14:20 PM
Yeah and hopefully they can get it to been smooth with A high Unit count & High Graphics.
Im sure they can do it with what they learnt from the First supcom, it would have been a much bigger hit if performance was a concern to them.

+
# 14Megaowner Nov 14 2008, 15:07 PM
The only thing I see here is that Square aren't afraid of delaying games until they are complete... Every FF game ever made has practically been delayed, + KH2.

Apart from that, I can't see them having much impact on the development of the game, since they are only publishing it, thus only printing the discs once the game is complete.

Game: Command and Conquer 4

+
# 15Hogo Nov 15 2008, 21:34 PM
Do they have a decision about DRM?

+
# 16Togra Nov 16 2008, 09:13 AM
QUOTE(Hogo @ Nov 15 2008, 22:34 PM) *

Do they have a decision about DRM?

Hmm, the only PC game they have published is Final Fantasy XI Online... an MMO. It's gonna be a whole new experience for them alright.

Game: Dawn of War 2

+
# 17Hogo Nov 16 2008, 23:42 PM
mhmm If Chris Taylor has anything to say DRM can Bigger off tongue.gif

+
# 18AncientSion Nov 17 2008, 16:22 PM
Doh. How about fixing SC/FA and providing what was promised years ago?

These guys and especially Taylor wont get a single buck from me.

Game: None

+
# 19KingsRevenge Nov 17 2008, 20:34 PM
QUOTE(AncientSion @ Nov 17 2008, 11:22 AM) *

Doh. How about fixing SC/FA and providing what was promised years ago?

These guys and especially Taylor wont get a single buck from me.

What is it that you want from which was promised?

Game: Act of War: Direct Action

+
# 20AncientSion Nov 18 2008, 22:31 PM
QUOTE(KingsRevenge @ Nov 17 2008, 22:34 PM) *

What is it that you want from which was promised?

Really, there is point in arguing about it yet again. There have been countless threads/posts in the FA-section. They should fix still existing bugs, fix features that were promised with stock SC and give us (community) an update regarding a) patch b) The Experimentals.

Game: None

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)