Explore GameReplays...

Demigod

Rook build - The Tank

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1liq3 Apr 18 2009, 21:31 PM
The Rook has the most health of any Demigod. This build plays to that strength. It also assumes you're somewhat familar with Rook, and know what his skills do.

General Strategy

So, the game starts. First thing you want to do is buy Scaled Helm and Banded Armour(first helmet and second armour) and put a point into Hammer Slam. This will give you some staying power early on as well as the ability to kill any enemy Demigods that get cocky.

You've bought your items. Time to head into the fight. At this point head into a lane and grab the flag there. If an enemy Demigod joins you, harass him if you can. Avoid taking any heavy damage, because you DO NOT want to go back to base until you can buy some more items (at least 1750 gold). If do you take heavy damage and the enemy isn't leaving, run back to base, heal up and buy 2 teleport scrolls if you can. Use one to get straight back into the fight.

Now, the general strategy here is to just farm creeps while harassing enemy Demigods that get close. Don't worry about getting kills at all, you don't need them. Most important thing is to farm, which means no dying! Of course, if there's a Demigod you can kill, do so. If they run, just let them, because you aren't going to catch them.

Around level 10 you should have enough armour/health and damage output to go for an enemy tower. Don't try taking on 2 at this point, they'll do too much damage. Assuming there's no enemy creeps or Demigods around, charge that tower. Hammer slam it and smash it to pieces with your Hammer. If you start taking too much damage, retreat, heal up a bit (e.g. regen, pots, base), and repeat. If your early game was strong, you should be able to take it out in 1-3 rounds.

Late game. Everyone is at least level 15, and catapults roam the map. This where you want to start doing what Rook does best, holding an area. Depending on the map, try to steal an enemy spawn and camp it with towers. Bring 3 teleport scrolls and 3 flag locks with you. They'll be forced to bring in at least 2 Demigods to get rid of you. When they do, flag lock and teleport as near as you can to their other spawn. Repeat on this spawn. Teleport back to base to refresh on items, then repeat. This is a great way to really make the enemy play defensive late game, and works best with Rook.

A little tip about fighting. Generally you should run away when you're on 50% hp if you aren't going to win decisively, since Rook is so slow you'll need it to escape.

Skills

Ok, now that we've got general strategy out of the way, I'll explain how to use each skill, the build and what items to get.

Hammer Slam. This is half your damage with Rook. There's 2 ways to use it. Either for constant damage, using it whenever you get the chance, or save it until you can one shot the enemy Demigod with it. If you're going to miss with it, quickly click somewhere on the map, aborting the cast to save mana and avoid cooldown.

His shoulder upgrades are great. They're mainly just for some sustained ranged damage on anything that gets close. You can also use them to chase down enemy Demigods if they're on health.

Next thing you want is Towers of Light. The towers are great, providing awesome damage against enemies, allowing you hold down areas with ease. These are vital to being able to farm while only returning to base a few times in a game.

So you're farming, the enemy Demigod wants to get rid of you. Plonk one of these down just behind where the creeps fight and use it as a shield. If the enemy tries to attack it, attack them. If they try to attack you, bring them into range of it, then fight them. Chase them a little when they run, but generally best to just stay around the tower and farm.

Once everyone starts getting stronger one tower just won't cut it. By now you should have enough mana to start spamming them. Do so. If you see an enemy Demigod that's looks like he wants a fight, build one. Then as soon as cooldown is over, build another within range. Create a farm of them. Have 4 or more built in a way that if the enemy tries to attack you, you can run so they are all attacking them. Having 4 towers pounding you REALLY hurts. Add in a nice hammer slam and they'll be running away (or dead) very quickly.

Later on you'll want Bolder Roll and God's Stregth. Bolder Roll mainly to stun people so you can Hammer Slam them. Wait till they're in range of Hammer Slam, then Bolder Roll and quickly followup with Hammer Slam. You'll need to use hotkeys for this. Hammer Slam and Bolder Roll are 1 and 4 respectively.

God's Stregnth is just a skill you put extra points into when you can.

Now, I didn't really say what skills to get and when. That's because I never get them in the same order, I get them depending how the game is playing out. Generally I follow this order, putting points in when I can.

1. Hammer Slam
2. Shoulder Upgrades
3. Bolder Roll
4. Towers of Light
5. God's Strength.

Items

Now, the items.

Tip: When buying items later on when you've run out of slots, sell one of the same type as the one your buying and replace it with a better version. e.g. Sell Banded Armour to free up a slot for Groffling Warplate.

Generally I aim for perfect mana regen and lots and lots of health. I'll always have 5000hp around level 6 to 7 if I'm doing well. I usually get the following items for health (gold price in brackets). Banded Armour (550), Hauberk of Life (1750), Nimoth Chest Armour (1500), in that order. If it's late game and you want some armour (and you have the cash), sell Banded Armour and get Groffling Warplate (5000). The late-late game health item to get is Bulwark of the Ages (16,000), from the artifact shop. You can also get Godplate if you really want it.

Perfect mana is easy until late late game where you're using abilities non-stop for minutes on end. Just buy the following 2 items in order (and sell your Scaled Helm when you need the slot). Vlemish Facegaurd (1750) and Plenor Battlecrown (1500) (they're the 4th and 3rd helmets respectively). These give you a nice +30 mana regen, letting you spam towers to your heart's content. Late game when you have the cash, if you want more mana (and a nice attack speed boost of 30%) get Cloak of the Ages (10,000).

So, this concludes my guide. Hope you liked it. :]

Edit1: Swapped skill order for Bolder Roll and Towers of Light.

This post has been edited by liq3: Apr 22 2009, 01:04 AM

Game: Demigod

+
# 2LordGloom Apr 18 2009, 21:54 PM
I did like it!

Yes you bring up a very good point with boulder roll. I see quite a few people trying to long range roll people. For one thing its easy to dodge and another thing is using it that way is pretty useless.

Good Guide!

+
# 3DalzK Apr 19 2009, 00:11 AM
Nice guide. Keeping people's flags and locking them, and then moving onto the next portal (most effective on Cataract) can win you the game if your on giants (or maybe cata's). Someone recently did what you suggested (spammed towers at flag and locked them etc.) and it really gave me a hard time.

Keep the good work up!

Game: Grey Goo

+
# 4Jägerbomb Apr 21 2009, 16:38 PM
Hey, I was just wondering what do you think of Structural Transfer? Personally, I think its a great skill and find that it synergies with this build much better than Bolder Roll as you can use it on the towers you summon to quickly top up your health. Obviously it has a big disadvantage in that it is a channeled spell and can be easily interrupted, but still, if used correctly you can pretty much lock down any part of the map, on top of that it makes attacking enemy towers really easy.

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 5Xinox Apr 21 2009, 21:49 PM
To add to hammer slam, try to anticipate when they're going to cast a spell. Can't tell you how many times i've killed tb's early on cause I hammer slam when they cast and they think they can finish and run out of range before it hits. It's also extremely good at stopping reg''s from sniping teamates as a hammer slam vs them is generally fatal due to not being able to get away fast enough from your shoulder dps.

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 6liq3 Apr 22 2009, 01:01 AM
QUOTE(Jägerbomb @ Apr 22 2009, 02:38 AM) *

Hey, I was just wondering what do you think of Structural Transfer? Personally, I think its a great skill and find that it synergies with this build much better than Bolder Roll as you can use it on the towers you summon to quickly top up your health. Obviously it has a big disadvantage in that it is a channeled spell and can be easily interrupted, but still, if used correctly you can pretty much lock down any part of the map, on top of that it makes attacking enemy towers really easy.
For this build at least, I ignore structural transfer, simply because it's unneeded and takes away from other extremely useful abilities.

Skipping his shoulder upgrades and getting Structural Transfer instead might be possible.

+
# 7sean0883 Apr 27 2009, 02:52 AM
QUOTE(liq3 @ Apr 21 2009, 18:01 PM) *

For this build at least, I ignore structural transfer, simply because it's unneeded and takes away from other extremely useful abilities.

Skipping his shoulder upgrades and getting Structural Transfer instead might be possible.

I would say removing boulder roll would be the best option (down to one rank i mean). Especially since you are only really using it to hammer slam. If you consider removing the shoulder upgrades you don't have much to harass and kill Regulus with, and he would be your bane considering he out ranges your towers. Structural Transfer is a great heal when it gets to the final ranks. I generally make it one of my last skills, for when we are pushing the enemy base, so that I can use max harassment during the flag holding time.

I've been using this build and have had GREAT success with it. Besides Structural Transfer in the end game, I only make a couple changes to the beginning.

For level 1 I get towers. I know it's not as great as Hammer Slam, but enemy DGs seem to fear this more and that really buys you a lot of time at flags. I generally hold my first flag til about level 5 or 6 without much in the way of contention because of my towers. Unless they bring 2 people, one of them being a support, they never try to come near me.

At level 2 I buy shoulder archers to speed up leveling a bit.

Then finally at level 3&4 I get Hammer Slam, and continue as normal with your priorities for skills.

Game: Left 4 Dead

+
# 8midnight71 Apr 27 2009, 07:47 AM
nice strat!
I almost always play Rook and invest in max health and some mana.
for Favor item i use blood of the fallen, 800hp and some health regen early on.
if played right rook can be a demigod-killer.

Game: Heroes of Newerth

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)