Explore GameReplays...

Company of Heroes

unable to create the error report. please verify that there is enough space in your TEM...

Reply to this topic Start new topic
# 1troyquigley Jul 10 2009, 17:44 PM
unable to create the error report. please verify that there is enough space in your TEMP folder.

this is the ERROR i have been getting for the last 2 weeks.
it seems to only occur during 3v3 or 4v4 games.
i have not had this error during a 1v1 or 2v2 YET.

i have DOMAIN ADMINS rights on this computer, so i know it is not a rights issue.

QUOTE(troyquigley @ Jul 10 2009, 13:44 PM) *

unable to create the error report. please verify that there is enough space in your TEMP folder.

i have DOMAIN ADMINS rights on this computer, so i know it is not a rights issue.

here is my DXDIAG.txt

QUOTE(troyquigley @ Jul 10 2009, 13:46 PM) *

here is my DXDIAG.txt

here is my WARNINGS.log

This post has been merged by aramonkg: Oct 9 2009, 16:30 PM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

Attached File(s)
Attached File warnings.log
Size: 228.75k
Number of downloads: 693
Attached File DxDiag.txt
Size: 37.34k
Number of downloads: 786

Game: Company of Heroes

+
# 2pingtoft Jul 10 2009, 20:26 PM
did you try emptying the temp folder?

+
# 3troyquigley Jul 11 2009, 17:14 PM
QUOTE(pingtoft @ Jul 10 2009, 16:26 PM) *

did you try emptying the temp folder?

which temp folder ?
does COH use one besides the standard vista ones ?

+
# 4pingtoft Jul 11 2009, 17:43 PM
AFAIK it uses the default folder: C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Temp

You're not the first to report this problem but tbh I have no idea what causes it.

+
# 5Marvin2k Jul 12 2009, 13:25 PM
have you tried running the game with normal clock speeds? you seem to have overclocked your system quite a bit and i guess you wouldnt be running it with those specs if it wasnt stable, but nonetheless for troubleshooting it probably wouldnt hurt running everything with default timings.
apart from that, i think you will have checked it but still: is there enough free space on your system partition or the partitio you store your temp folder on respectively?
i guess you have also tried to set all the details and everything to the lowest possible options, right? and do the errors occur upon playing 3v3 matches only or also when watching a 3v3 replay? and do they occur right in the beginning or just randomly during the game or always at a given point?
additional info might help narrowning down the exact cause for your problem.
regards,

Marvin

+
# 6troyquigley Jul 14 2009, 18:15 PM
QUOTE(Marvin2k @ Jul 12 2009, 09:25 AM) *

have you tried running the game with normal clock speeds? you seem to have overclocked your system quite a bit and i guess you wouldnt be running it with those specs if it wasnt stable, but nonetheless for troubleshooting it probably wouldnt hurt running everything with default timings.
apart from that, i think you will have checked it but still: is there enough free space on your system partition or the partitio you store your temp folder on respectively?
i guess you have also tried to set all the details and everything to the lowest possible options, right? and do the errors occur upon playing 3v3 matches only or also when watching a 3v3 replay? and do they occur right in the beginning or just randomly during the game or always at a given point?
additional info might help narrowning down the exact cause for your problem.
regards,

Marvin

i empty the temp folder each morning. so it is empty.
i have 400gb of free space.
the computer in my specs is my home computer. my work computer (the one with issues) is not overclocked at all.
so far it only happens during a game of 3v3 to 4v4. it takes around 20-25 minutes for the error to occur. there seems to be no pre situation to let me know it is about to happen.

i have not lowered my settings (they are all at max settings) - except it is not using dx10 rendering. it is running under dx9. this error started after the 2.600 patch.
i used to play 3v3 and 4v4 with no problems.

+
# 7aramonkg Jul 14 2009, 20:44 PM
Try following the procedure I detailed in this thread involving Process Monitor.

If there is any file that cannot be created it should show up as an event of the RelicCOH.exe process, including the details of the specific path of the that file. It may be a hint to what is going on.

Game: StarCraft 2

+
# 8LtauSTinpoWErs Jul 14 2009, 21:31 PM
I have had the same problem and have no clue how to fix it. I have only had the issue since TOV which could mean one of the latest patches or something to do with Relic Downloader. I have also had the problem in 2v2 games that last a long time, but mainly only during 3v3 and 4v4 games.

Clan: Reborn

+
# 9Quercus Jul 15 2009, 18:39 PM
A friend of mine suffers really badly from this - every 4v4 game he crashes out of. I saw it once on my machine when I ALT+Tabbed out of a game, but not apart from that.

Just to test this memory leak theory, we played a 2v2 game last night - it lasted 52 minutes and he didn't crash.
It is also something that started since ToV.
What really annoys me is that Relic appear to be keeping quiet about this problem, which seems to be affected a fair number of people.
My friend went through the support procedure with THQ, got the latest drivers, reinstalled the game, blah, blah, blah - but so far no fix and they don't appear to have any idea how to fix it.

+
# 10troyquigley Jul 15 2009, 19:54 PM
QUOTE(Quercus @ Jul 15 2009, 14:39 PM) *

A friend of mine suffers really badly from this - every 4v4 game he crashes out of. I saw it once on my machine when I ALT+Tabbed out of a game, but not apart from that.

Just to test this memory leak theory, we played a 2v2 game last night - it lasted 52 minutes and he didn't crash.
It is also something that started since ToV.
What really annoys me is that Relic appear to be keeping quiet about this problem, which seems to be affected a fair number of people.
My friend went through the support procedure with THQ, got the latest drivers, reinstalled the game, blah, blah, blah - but so far no fix and they don't appear to have any idea how to fix it.

tell your friend that misery loves company.
i am sure relic will fix it, or we will find the fix.

+
# 11Quercus Jul 17 2009, 09:02 AM
QUOTE(troyquigley @ Jul 15 2009, 20:54 PM) *

tell your friend that misery loves company.
i am sure relic will fix it, or we will find the fix.

As far as I am aware Relic haven't even acknowledged it as a problem. That is the most frustrating aspect of this. It was definitely due to something they introduced or changed with ToV.
My friend can play 1v1, 2v2 and (it seems) 3v3 games generally without crashing.
he still crashes during every 4v4 game though.

+
# 12Marvin2k Jul 18 2009, 06:26 AM
QUOTE(Quercus @ Jul 17 2009, 11:02 AM) *

As far as I am aware Relic haven't even acknowledged it as a problem. That is the most frustrating aspect of this. It was definitely due to something they introduced or changed with ToV.
My friend can play 1v1, 2v2 and (it seems) 3v3 games generally without crashing.
he still crashes during every 4v4 game though.

then you should all report the problem to relic. there's no other way making them work a patch smile.gif
the more it gets reported the higher are the chances thex will put some effort into solving it.
regards,

Marvin

+
# 13Quercus Jul 19 2009, 16:46 PM
Relic should know about it already, seeing as it was reported to THQ Support and is still unresolved.

(If you try posting any technical problems on their CoH Community forums you get told to report it to THQ Support).

+
# 14Marvin2k Jul 20 2009, 20:35 PM
still they have limite ressources. and of course they'll start working on patches first, that affect many people, not just 1 or 2. if you dont report your problems, you cant blame anyone if they wont get fixed smile.gif
regards,

Marvin

+
# 15Quercus Jul 21 2009, 00:47 AM
Did you not read what I said? I did report it and so did my friend. And judging by the posts in the CoH community forums, Relicnews and here, it isn't just one or two people.

+
# 16Marvin2k Jul 21 2009, 08:02 AM
i did read what you said. and you said:
QUOTE(Quercus @ Jul 17 2009, 11:02 AM) *

As far as I am aware Relic haven't even acknowledged it as a problem. That is the most frustrating aspect of this.

so apparently, not enough people reported the issue, for them to consider it worth building a quick fix. that is why i'm telling everyone (not only you), that they should report the problem as well, since it will help top speed up getting a patch. i know the attitude of many people too well: ahh, someone already reported it, so i dont have to, i'll just wait.
i wanted to appeal to those people, not to you. what you and your friend did was exactely the right thing, so others should follow your example.
hope it is clearer now what i was trying to say.
regards and good luck,

Marvin

+
# 17aramonkg Jul 21 2009, 14:47 PM
QUOTE(troyquigley @ Jul 10 2009, 20:44 PM) *

Well, first off, can you be a little more descriptive about the circumstances of the error. Do you notice any instance of CoH running on the taskbar? Is there any other error message beyond that? Does a crash window pop-up after this, like this one?

Attached Image

It may be the case that the error message is a side effect of a crash and not the cause of the crash itself. In any case, you can either wait for Relic to deal with it (given past behaviour, it may take a while) or try something. Since, I can't reproduce the error, here is what I suggest.

To start with, there is no visual indication on the error message window that it comes from RelicCOH.exe, the game's process. In order to identify who "owns" that window do the following.

NOTE: Stage 1 and stage 2 better be configured and run simultaneously so as to economize on time

Stage 1
  1. Download and run Process Explorer
  2. Keep Process Explorer running in the background and launch CoH
  3. Whenever the error occurs, do not close the error window but switch over to Process Explorer
  4. In Process Explorer's toolbar click "FInd Window's Process" and hover over to the error message

Attached Image
  5. The process that owns the windows will be highlighted in blue
If it is RelicCOH.exe then you can make use of the information gathered in stage 2. Otherwise, let me know what process came up, so that we get to know if any use of Process Monitor is relevant, or if we have to take a different route to troubleshooting it.

Stage 2
  1. Download, unzip and run ProcMon as administrator (if not already)
  2. Select Filter->Filter (Ctrl+L) and choose "Process Name" from the left topmost dropdown menu and "is" from the one next to it
  3. Type RelicCOH.exe in the textbox to the right
    Attached Image
  4. Click Add and then OK
  5. Now fire up CoH and when the error message pop-up make sure you note down your system time, as shown on the taskbar.
  6. Scroll down to the events logged around the specific time and notice if there is weird or repeating behaviour. Note down the text in the Result column and look for things such as, NAME_NOT_FOUND, SHARING_VIOLATION, NAME_COLLISION etc. In short anything that doesn't say SUCCESS.
Or you can save the whole Process Monitor event log using File->Save As and making sure the options are set as follows...

Attached Image

Then compress the resulting file and upload it somewhere so I can take a look.

Cheers

This post has been edited by aramonkg: Jul 21 2009, 14:49 PM

+
# 18LtauSTinpoWErs Jul 29 2009, 17:47 PM
Game crashed again, trying to watch replays. Here is the process monitor log.

happened around 10:20

http://uploading.com/files/WC23AD20/Logfile1.rar.html

+
# 19aramonkg Jul 31 2009, 18:52 PM
QUOTE(LtauSTinpoWErs @ Jul 29 2009, 20:47 PM) *

Game crashed again, trying to watch replays. Here is the process monitor log.

happened around 10:20

http://uploading.com/files/WC23AD20/Logfile1.rar.html

What about Stage 1? Was the owner of the error windows RelicCOH.exe?

Anyway, I took a look at the event log, there seems to be an initialisation of Relic's bug report engine, after some failed attempts to access video settings registry keys, so most probably this error is not related to Windows, or at least in an easy to spot way. However, there are some inconsistencies in the Windows Error Reporting procedure, some errors accessing registry keys that further search showed to be correlated to several issues in the past. Nothing conclusive though.

If you are running an ATI card with the latest drivers, you should know there is an issue with CoH, you should try downgrading to 9.5 or follow these instructions. Also, your operating system's core files version indicated that you are running Service Pack 2. If that is the case, upgrade to Service Pack 3. Better do that though Windows Update. Also consider updating your DirectX just in case. Then try running the game once again smile.gif

I 've also noticed that the original post refers to a system with an ATI card. The previous apply there as well. In addition, the OP should consider upgrading to Windows Vista Service Pack 2.

Service packs are not there for aesthetic reasons; they fix things.

+
# 20LtauSTinpoWErs Jul 31 2009, 21:36 PM
Hmm I thought I upgraded to service pack 3... I'll have to do it again.

+

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)